4.0 out of 5 stars Syma X1 Quad Bind Process / Radio not working
Hey fellow owners and potential owners!

Noticed others are having the same problem my buddies and I had when I first received the Syma X1 Quad, they should UPDATE THE INSTRUCTIONS ASAP

I had an issue with the radio transmitter not binding with the Syma X1 quad and there IS A EASY SOLUTION.
The instructions are lacking in this area and are...
Published on December 13, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, Poor Instructions
Published on December 26, 2012 by Josh M

4.0 out of 5 stars Syma X1 Quad Bind Process / Radio not working, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Syma X1 4 Channel 2.4G RC Quad Copter - Spacecraft (As shown) (Toy)
Hey fellow owners and potential owners!

The instructions are lacking in this area and are responsible I'm sure with a lot of frustration and probably returns.
In between my friends and I we have over 6 of these to date, they all work with this procedure that I quickly wrote for another amazon user.

SYMA X1 QUAD - RADIO TRANSMITTER BIND PROCESS

IMPORTANT SOLUTION TO ALL OWNERS - RADIO NOT WORKING WITH THE SYMA X1 QUAD

1. CONNECT BATTERY TO QUAD, THE LED WILL FLASH SLOWLY
2. LED WILL BEGIN TO FLASH RAPIDLY,.... IMMEDIATELY TURN ON RADIO TRANSMITTER
3. LED IS SOLID, BIND PROCESS COMPLETE. READY TO FLY

After connecting the battery to the quad the led will begin to flash slowly. Have the radio ready because the led will soon begin to flash quickly looking for a radio signal. As soon as the led begins to flash quickly immediately turn on radio. The Syma Quad led on the board will then be a SOLID on indicating the bind process is complete. You are now ready to fly or crash your quad. You only have to do this bind process once. From now on you can turn the radio transmitter on first and then connect the battery to the quad.
** It's important to have the quad on a level surface once you connect the battery so the gyros know what is level, do this EVERY TIME **

===========================
Extra Batteries

HYPERION BLADE MQX G3 CX 550MAH 1S 3.7V 25C LIPO BATTERY (HP-LG325-0550-1S-SR) around $8 shipped
Turnigy nano-tech 600mah 1S 35~70C Lipo Pack priced at $2.63

Pictures of the batteries and the Syma are under customer images

4.0 out of 5 stars how to switch from mode 1 to mode 2, December 21, 2012
Excellent little machine. When I first turned it on and tried to fly, it flew sideways into the wall. Tried several times with the same result.

solution: First, make sure that transmitter is off. Place battery into unit and immediately place it on the floor or other level surface. Wait for unit to stop flashing rapidly and is flashing slow, THEN make sure that throttle is off and turn on the transmitter, unit will pair with a steady light and an audible beep.

Happy flying. Remember it is a 4 channel. I have yet to flip it, just not enough room where I fly indoors and I have yet to determine where the 'A' button is to change it from mode 1 to 2.

FOUND IT!! thankfully!!

Transmitter off
Hold right horizontal trim button to the right
Power on transmitter
release trim button
display now reads Mode 2

Myself... I am so much happier with the unit now that I found mode 2. I am used to flying coaxials in this mode and find it instinctive making the unit that much more fun to fly.

And yes, I have also flipped it without crashing. Make sure that you have plenty of room because after the flip, it will travel 8-10' in the direction of the flip.

After a few days, crashing it numerous times, still intact and would recommend this to flyers with experience flying coaxials first. Throttle is the most important control of all types of crafts.

happy flying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough and Great flying machine, November 16, 2012
furnic (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This is an incredible tough little flying machine and a great way to get in to the world of RC flying and quad copters.
I have purchased various indoor and outdoor RC flying toys and this is the first one that has made it intact after the first week.

First the toy, it comes with a decent 2.4ghz transmitter with a short rubber antenna which can't break unlike the old steel ones of years gone by. The flying instructions look quite complicated but who really reads a manual anyhow and the only way to learn is by practice and it does take a while.

The Quad comes fully assembled and once charged it is ready to fly. Charging time is about an hour and flight time is over 10 minutes. I think continuous fly time would be around 6 - 7 minutes but it will be a good few days until you can keep it in the air for over 1 minute.

We have crashed this endless times, landed in the tallest of trees, got tangled in branches, my garden is now littered with long poles made out of bamboo and pool cleaners to knock this out of 12 meter high trees and still it goes on flying.

It will take about 2 - 3 days until you get the hang of the controller (if you new to this) so if you can keep the temptation down, try and fly and hover just over head high to start off with.
Re the flying, it can do amazing things - it will hover in one spot, turn 360 degrees and circle, go forward and backwards (this takes a bit of time to master) it has a button to do front and side flips, everyone goes ahhhhhhhh when you do them.

The highest I have taken this up is around 33 meters (about a 100 feet), I don't think it will go much higher and the wind at that height gets a bit strong and I'm scared in may just fly away so I haven't ventured that high for too long.
My longest continuous flight so far, after a week, is about 4 minutes long.

after a week, there are still one or two buttons that I'm not sure exactly what they do, I think they may be to assist with the stabilizing - it is quite important when starting up to start it on a very level surface, if not, it just won't fly nicely.
I have also managed to fly it with a keychain spy camera, so it can do some basic FPV photography and its quite fun getting a birds eye view of your property.
If it survives another week of trees and crashing (though crashing a lot less now)then I will buy more batteries as once you get the hang of flying then waiting an hour to recharge can get a bit frustrating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flys Great and will work with the Turnigy 9X, January 12, 2013
Dan (aka THXkid) (Phoenix, Az United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 5:47 Mins

Just bought this to how good the Syma toy company did on this Quad, did a very good job, hovers nice, stable, a bit slow but thats because of the 350mah batt, put a V929 500mah, watch it go then, flips real easy and I like you have to use the button to flip, that way I can haul around in the quick mode with out the fear of it flipping, have test video with flips inside, does much better outside, and just to see if it would bind, my stock Turnigy 9x would bind and I flew for a 30 second flight, just a bit sluggish on the sticks but thats without any adjustments on the turnigy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, Poor Instructions, December 26, 2012
I almost sent this product back because it wasnt working right until I saw other feedback telling how to use it correctly. You need to put the battery into the unit while it is perfectly level then turn the remote on when the light flashes quickly. The instructions are not clear on this and that is why only the 3 stars. Once you figure out how to turn it on it works great. I have crashed it multiple times and it just keeps working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add an inexpensive 720 p camera, January 10, 2013
Will lift the 808 keychain camera ($13 with amazon prime) and fly with good stability. Remove the metal ring and chain to reduce weight and center the camera with double sided tape to the highest point on the canopy. An amazing flying video platform for a total of ~$50. Some "jello" vibration, but still amazing! Check comments for some video links.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 40 bucks I have spent in a while., December 9, 2012
I simply cannot kill this thing. And I crash. A lot. I bought extra 600mah batteries that fit the blade 120 helo and have been getting 10 min flights. If you fly this over grass it will live forever. This thing is a gateway drug to much more expensive toys, and its safe to fly in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars x1 great value, quality product and FUN!!, January 30, 2013
Very precision flight control. The key to easy flight control is make sure you trim quad so it hovers steady.
You want the quad to be steady without constant control stick correction. This a very easy procedure, if you throttle up and if it drifts to the right just adjust horizontal trim button to the left a couple clicks and retry. Same goes for drifting forward or backward. Once its trimmed it is a breeze to fly and control. The flip button (top right button) is a great feature. Like many have said, if you fly it over a grass field it would be hard to break; even if it freefalls from 100 feet!! It is extremely light, but I have flown it 8 mph winds, but its most easly flown in winds below 4mph. I have flown 3 ch airplanes, and coaxial helis, but this is defineately the best flying experience for the money. The lcd screen on the controller is a very nice feature and shows battery level, trim display and controll stick input, Mode 1 or 2 and H and L. Most controllers take 6 AA batteries, however this one only needs 4 AA and the 2.4ghz frequency makes controller batteries last a long time. I doubt you will find anything on the market that can compare! I also purchased a 808 720p keychain camera to attach to quad and its really fun to get a birds eye view of the flight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, December 30, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have owned quite a few rc toys over the years but this one takes the cake! This is the best rc toy I've ever owned! On the low setting it can fly around inside the house but I would definitely consider it quick for indoors flying. Switch over to the high setting and go fly around outside for the most fun of all. I've flown in winds with gusts up to 10mph and it handles like a champ! With most rc toys i generally get used to them on the first charge but it wasn't the case with this quadcopter which is great because I love a challenge (first 4ch rc heli). The X1 has a great power to weight ratio and can even lift my mini 808 camera while remaining very agile :). I did order a couple upgraded/extra 600mah lipo bateries (turnigy) which greatly increase the power and flight time of this little beast; and lets face it, once you get this thing up in the air, you won't wanna stop after the first charge, extra batteries are cheap and well worth it. Best $35 I've ever spent on an rc product along with my last heli, the syma s107g.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome beginner copter!, June 6, 2013
First off i'd just like to say this is the best $40 i've spent in a long time. I've had endless hours of fun with this thing. Its the first remote control copter i've owned, of any kind. I spent the first couple sessions crashing it into trees, walls, and just about everything around me, but once I got the hang of it (after about 4 ten minute sessions) I started having a blast. It took a couple days of just trying to hold it steady and moving it forward, back, and side to side before I started to get good. Once you get the hang of it and everything begins to come like second nature, you can really start whipping this thing around and experimenting with the H mode. Its super responsive in that mode and I only recommend it for outdoor flying. Then you can start trying tricks, once you get the hang of basic flying its super easy to make it flip using the trick button.
Heres a few basic tips for anyone looking to buy this copter.

1. Sometimes when I turn it on its not calibrated correctly and flies hard to one side. I found that taking the battery out and putting it back in usually fixes this. Sometimes you have to do it more than once but vary rarely. Best way to test it is to try taking off from a level surface where there's no wind, if the copter flies straight up then you're good. If it still needs some adjusting after you've tried the 'remove battery' technique you can use the trims on the controls to fine tune it.

2. Do not attempt to fly this in strong wind, especially if you're a beginner. Anything wind above 10mph and you run the risk of it blowing away and never getting it back.

3. Order at least two extra batteries when you order this. You only get about 10 minutes flying time with each charge, and trust me you're gonna want to fly it more than that!

Ok I hope this review helps. Have fun guys! :)

p.s. this thing is REALLY durable. I've crashed it so many times and its still flying perfectly. Just upgraded to the DJI Phantom and i'm really glad I had the X 14 as my first copter. Makes flying the Phantom feel like a breeze.