on November 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
As the previous reviewer said . . . make SURE you get the gyro version (S026G).
Without the gyro (S026) it is almost impossible to properly control this Helicopter, especially if you're a newbie.
Lots of fun indoors. As it's so small, flying outside is possible, but there must be absolutely no wind.
Fantastic if you can get a Gym or some large empty hall to fly in.
Great for 8 - 80 year old children.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I own a Syma s107 and just had to try the Chinook for myself.

What a great little machine! The trim is a little more complex than the 107 because of the front/rear drive concept but Syma have done a great job of making a potentially complex business very simple. A technological triumph.

Trimming for spin is done as on the S107, with a knob set between the sticks. Trimming front/rear drift is done by clicking on the labelled buttons on the top of the transmitter. Couldn't be easier.

Flight-wise the helicopter is very responsive and stable once trimmed. It has the typical gyro-stabilized contra-rotating design issue of the helicopter fighting its own forward/backward motion, resulting in this instance in a visible - but small - tendency to see-saw. As with the S107 the trick to fast forward flight with this design is to fly a serpentine path - by the time the gyro has "figured out" what the helicopter is doing and started to fight it, it isn't doing the same thing any more.

The Chinook is a little noisier in flight than the S107, which shouldn't surprise anyone since it is effectively two S107 mechanisms in one frame running simultaneously, and I expect the intersection of the front and rear rotor downdraft paths also contributes some noise.

As with the S107 the trick to a controlled take-off and landing is getting them over with as briefly as possible - experience shows the little aircraft change their flight characteristics quite dramatically at nap-of-carpet due to the Ground Effect.

The Chinook also has two "centers of lift", which means if you hover over a snack table and drift one end over the edge the helicopter will lose ground-effect on the one rotor pair and move quite rapidly in an uncontrolled manner, so if "oil rig rescue" is a big part of your mini-copter sims (as it is in my house) the trick is to get as much air under the blades as quickly as possible.

As with all indoor helicopters you get "ceiling suck" when the aircraft is less than its own height from the dreaded Hard Sky. The destabilization after a contact event is dramatic and meteoric. Avoid them.

My only issue with this delightful and astonishing model aircraft is that the trim allowance isn't enough for the last few minutes of flight time on mine. I guess I could correct that with a small resistor but I can fight it with the stick well enough. Putting the charging port underneath is also awkward - the aircraft must be lain on its side to be charged unless you make a charging cradle for it.

If you enjoy the S107, you'll definitely get a kick out of flying the Chinook. It's obviously not the same scale - it looks to be somewhere around 1/76 scale whereas the 107 is more like 1/64 or thereabouts, but wow, what a great little machine!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2011
Verified Purchase
This blows away the little havoc helis you get at wal mart. Hardly needed any trim, and the controls are responsive with very little lag. The usb charging cable is a HUGE bonus, saving up on batteries for the controller. If you want a tiny copter, this one is a perfect start.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Our 13 year old son has been SYMA helicopter crazy for at least the last four years; new choppers have been delivered each Christmas and birthday (to his continued delight). He has S107Gs in yellow, blue and red, the USCG S111G, the Blackhawk S102G, the Apache S109G, the Chinook S026G and maybe a couple other non-SYMA craft too...

When asked to review the Chinook in comparison to the others, he said 'it is totally different that the Apache or Cobra, it is not made for speed and attacking. It is challenging to learn how to balance, but you really get the feel for flight once you get the hang of it. It is easy to picture a load of marines or a load of cargo being hauled around with it. It is cool'.

Since he had experience with other SYMA choppers, it took him about a day's worth of play to really master the Chinook's take-off, landing and unique directional flight characteristics. While he totally enjoys them all, and he recommends the S107G or S111G for first time pilots, it is usually the Chinook that lands in the middle of the breakfast table on school mornings...

In our humble opinion, these SYMA mini copters are tough. They are made for indoor use and they get crash landed on stairs, against walls, on kitchen tables, against mantles... even run over by a golden retriever... but they keep on going. More often than not, we misplace a USB charging cord or wear out the hand-held remote transmitter controls before the copter ever fails.

From a parent's perspective, the price-to-fun ratio of these helicopters is absolutely FANTASTIC. They are almost as much fun to watch as they are to fly. Keep 'em coming; we look forward to new models.

Bottom line -- we frequently recommend SYMA helicopters to others and they are our typical birthday party gift (even for a few fun natured adults!) Get one, get hooked, and then keep your fleet well maintained! Have fun!
on December 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
I'm a 48 year old father of teenagers. I've wanted a toy for myself for a long time, and this is what I've been searching for. Syma products have a new feature over the old RC helicopters that makes them very easy to fly. That feature is a gyroscope built in for stabilization. I think all the Syma models that end with a "g" (S107G) have the gyroscope.

These are indoor toys. You need a fair amount of space to have fun with this, and I've found a two or three car garage with the overhead doors down are perfect. Darkish rooms are good because of the cool LED lights that come with these choppers. The Chinook is one of the more stable models, and its LED changes from red to green to blue to yellow in a slightly annoying disco ball style. This model is all plastic, so I don't recommend it for kids younger than 14. It is fragile! That doesn't mean it will break easily just because you crash into a wall or ceiling. I've been flying mine for a week now and crashed several times without any damage. Just be sure to cut the power to the vertical control before it hits anything.

It is important to learn to "trim" the heli before flight. It is easy to do, but if you don't know to do it you will not have a good experience. Give a slight "up" input so that the helicopter is just ready to take off. If it turns right or left, adjust the trim with the single dial until it stays neutral. Also, just at the point of take-off, if the chopper wants to go either forward or backward, tap the directional button (F or B) on the front of the controller to compensate for the effect. If done properly, you can take off with the heli going straight up. Then the forward/back/left/right control works easily. Within three flights I was able to follow this thing up a stairwell and through a door.

Great for chasing cats and dogs, too! I have taken it outside on extremely calm days and had it up to about 20 feet in the air - though it is not designed or recommended for this.

I will be buying another so that my 19 year old son can fly with me. He wants something a little faster and more responsive, so I'll be getting him the S108G Cobra, which I have read seems to be more powerful and responsive. Buy this toy and give it with confidence. I gave one to my nephew at Christmas and he later called to tell me how much fun he was having with it.

By the way - it is sensitive to hair and dirt. Mine picked up a human hair and it wrapped around the rotor shaft without my knowledge. The thing would not fly high or stable, so a close inspection revealed the problem and removal with tweezers solved the problem. Parts are easy to find, though I have not needed them yet. It's just a matter of time according to the RC forums. Someone said if you stay with this hobby you will quickly become a better mechanic than pilot. I have had to tighten a miniature screw that attaches the blade to the shaft, so already I am learning.

Lastly - to help improve the longevity of the battery: Do not fly the chopper to the point it barely stays off the ground. This will make the motor run hot, possibly shortening its life, and also is harder on the battery. Most hobbyists I've read recommend flying for about 5 minutes, then letting it cool before charging. Also let the battery "rest" or cool off for 5 or 10 minutes after charging before flight.

Save yourself the regret and order two different models to maximize your flying time!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this as a present to my boyfriend. He was a paratrooper and had mentioned that he saw the large versions of these on base and always wanted one. I was originally going to get the larger one but opted for this one because I read a few other reviews regarding the advantages of the gyro for RC beginners.

This thing is so durable. I cannot tell you how many times I was playing with this thing and I hit it against the ceiling, and it fell down onto the corner of a table and still didn't break. My boyfriend picked it up much more quickly than I did (he was an expert after two charges). We haven't tried the non gyro larger version yet so I don't really know how much it helps, but we had no problems with spinning out or difficulty controlling with this gyro-equipped smaller version. The only thing is that it is so lightweight that if your ceiling fan is on or you fly it in front of a vent with your AC running, you'll have to compensate for it since your copter will definitely feel it.

The helicopter itself is very lightweight. The little wheels are just decoration and don't actually spin. The blades are split which some might expect. I have no knowledge about helicopters so I was surprised when I saw it and found it to be pretty cool. When you turn it on, there is a trio of lights and colors that flash the whole time it is on. It's not too functional, but it is pretty and I like it.

The controller looks like an xbox controller, sort of, in terms of shape. There is a knob where the power button / x logo would be on an xbox controller, and it controls spin of the helicopter. There is a throttle lever thing on the left side, a lever that moves in all directions to control direction of flying, and there are two buttons where the bumper buttons would be that control the tipping of the helicopter (front or back heavy). Seems to cover all of the bases. The controller operates with six AA batteries.

The helicopter charges with a special charger. One end is a male USB that can connect to your laptop, controller, or iPhone charger base, etc. The other end is a special small sort of connection that I've never seen before so I imagine that if you lose it, you will have a difficult time finding another one.

All in all, we had a terrific time playing with this, and I'll be buying Syma's larger version just to see what it is like. The small one was fun, easy to fly, and the perfect size for indoor apartment flying.
on January 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
I own the S111g helicopter from Syma, and it is amazing! After receiving that one, and my kids fighting to take turns flying it, I decided to order another helicopter, only this time I wanted something different, so I chose this Chinook. This helicopter however, is a COMPLETE failure! Here is what I experienced with this helicopter:
The Chinook would immediately gain altitude and fly straight up, but immediately would start falling slowly until it hit the ground about 15 seconds later. I set the helicopter back up on the table and the same exact thing happened again... it gained altitude quickly only to loose it all soon after. Wow, what a disappointment! My kids immediately lost interest in this helicopter (like 2 minutes after initial flight) and began flying the S111g helicopter we love. BTW, yes the battery was fully charged, yes I tried again and again to make this thing work, I think it really looks cool and wanted it to work, it just wouldn't.

I have read a couple of bad reviews experiencing the same problem... and they relate it to a "Dancer" version. I inspected mine and found it had the "Dancer" sticker on the rear of the helicopter as others have stated. Guess that's why mine sucked, and others report an awesome helicopter. The sticker, I believe, was supposed to say "Danger", but misspelled by foreign manufacturers. I have sent it back! I would love to order another one if I was sure to get a good one, but not worth the frustration, disappointment, and chance of getting another bad one.

If ordering, cross your fingers and hope you get the good one!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
I went ahead and purchased this helicopter even after reading some reviews about the fake ones out there. First off, mine is fake, but I knew that would be a possibility going in. I have the DANCER version. With that in mind, others have purchased the DANCER version and have had great luck with those. However, I wasnt so lucky. It barely hovers over 3 inches from the ground and has hardly any thrust. It turns very very very slowly as if it is running out of juice. Batteries are fully charged and the remote is fine and working properly. The reason I know the remote is fine is due to the fact it can control other helicopters I have. So this isnt a remote issue.
Unfortunately, I rolled the dice and crapped out. This one is no good. According to other reviews alot of the DANCER versions work great. So if you purchase one of these just remember you are rolling the dice.
Good luck and good flying.
UPDATE...I tried all I knew how to to get this thing to fly. It just wont get up off the floor more than a couple inches. I thought maybe it was a bad battery. After changing it out for a new one it still did the same thing. The rear rotor motor is running slow. So I believe it has to do with that motor...oviously.
So be careful when you purchase these small ones.
UPDATE...After writing the first review of this item and not yet having the time to begin the return process, I received an e-mail from Amazon. This e-mail stated that Amazon had seen the bad review of this item and wanted to make it right immediately. It went on to list the steps for returning and refund. I want to say this....I had not even started the refund process nor did I e-mail Amazon about the issue. AMAZON TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES TO MAKE IT RIGHT AND TO HAVE A POSITIVE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE!!!! Great job Amazon for being aware of a situation and not letting it linger to the dismay of the customer. You seen a customer was not happy with a purchase and instead of waiting for the customer to make a move, you took it upon urself to solve the problem.GREAT JOB!!!!
on January 30, 2013
This helicopter is awesome! It is super easy to fly. My 6 year old nephew can even fly it! I was very impressed with the attention to detail on the heli itself. It looks very cool. It only flys for a short period of time(about 7-8 mins) in between charges, and the range from the transmitter to the heli is only about 20 feet. I don't think either of those things detract from the fun of the heli, though. This is a great toy even for big kids like me! Would recommend to anyone looking for a cool gadget to play with.
Verified Purchase
After reading the many positive reviews on this and other copters like it, I took the plunge and ordered some for my adult children as "stocking stuffers" this year. To maintain my alpha-male position, I ordered this one just so I could play too, and get a jump on them for expertise in flying. The good: 1) Very easy to fly and trim 2) Outstanding graphics and detail - comparable to HO trains. 3) Durability - has survived numerous crashes that always would have trashed the battery RC planes we have purchased. The plastic rotors seem impervious to hitting walls, coffee table etc. which is really a pleasant surprise. The bad: Flight time. Whether it is from having 2 rotors or just "the way it is", I get only ~2 minutes of real practice. After that, a few more flights are available with copter going up 5 or 6 feet, then settling down. Allows for "hopping" between places you want to practice landing, but then you have 30-60 minute wait until you can play again. I plan to see if there are higher capacity batteries, but I'd bet it is a weight/power/engineering challenge.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations