5.0 out of 5 stars You have to get this!
Published on January 8, 2012 by travis

3.0 out of 5 stars EASIEST TO FLY
Published on February 22, 2012 by D. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to get this!, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Syma S033G 3.5 Channel 700mm Large RC Helicopter Ready to Fly. Colors May Vary in Yellow or Red. (Toy)
This helicopter is big! Well worth the money. Gyro works perfect, easy to fly. I just finished flying it outside on my front yard at night and had a great time, the lights are really cool and actually help keep you oriented. I am sure the neighbors think a UFO is flying around. Out of the box it is tail heavy, don't bother adding weights to the front just simply remove the plastic front and remove the tie strap that is securing the battery and move it forward about 2 inches. Then place a new tie strap and a touch of silicon and you are ready to go. On takeoff don't try to do a slow take off, it is far easier just to give it the gas and let it get into the air so it can stabilize itself. The only thing I would like to see different is going to 2.4ghz instead of 27mhz.Don't forget that it has a button on the transmitter that switches the tail rotor from slow to fast, I suggest just keeping it on fast in order to head into the wind easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HELICOPTER!!!, December 28, 2011
I have a Double Horse 9100 ,9101,and 9104. This Syma S033g blows them all away! This thing is very ,very stable and VERY fast! Even in a slight breeze it can stil be flown. The 30" 9101 can't touch this bird. Don't get me wrong,the 9101 flies great,but this S033g is just BETTER!

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality large Chopper, formidable size, & can be modified..., April 23, 2012
M. panah "Sassonic" (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If you're a beginner this is a good chopper to learn with, if you're an intermediate RC enthusiast you may be bored with the lack of speed. This chopper hovers nicely, turns on its axis as rapidly as you want, is easy to correct mid-air, and can handle a bit of wind due to its impressive size. If this is your very first helicopter it may be a bit intimidating because it's very formidable and can do damage to people or property if it crashes. If you're a total beginner & you want a 3 channel helicopter, I would recommend the Viefly 338 it's much smaller, can't hurt anyone and it's less stressful to build your confidence. If you're indeed ready for the Syma s033G it's a fun bird to fly, and it's responsive. Keep this chopper flying outdoors on calm days, or you could fly it in a large indoor area like a racquetball court, basketball court, or warehouse, a 3 car garage may be pushing it, I don't recommend a garage because coaxial choppers suck themselves toward walls if you get too close.

This chopper is well built it will likely survive a lot of crashes, but remember whenever possible push down on the left stick to shut off the blades because that will minimize damage, most of the chopper can handle a crash, but if the blades are spinning it can be worse. The antenna wire on the chopper itself comes poorly coiled I recommend stretching it out and wrapping it and moving it around the landing gear and perhaps even along the tail using clear tape. This should give you better consistency and range, you can even solder a thicker wire to the motherboard than the really thin one that's on here. Like most coaxial choppers this Syma is very sluggish going forward and reverse, but you can make some simple modifications for this. You can add some weight to the nose with some 2-sided velcro and a coin, probably a quarter or maybe 2 quarters in the nose of the chopper's canopy will help it pitch forward. You can also buy spare tail rotors and glue 2 of them together in an "X formation" in order to improve the air dispersal and move forward and back w/more authority, just make sure you drop the screw in the lower rotor first otherwise it won't go all the way through when you want to attach the rotors to the servo on the tail. I would also recommend buying a 2nd battery on here for sure, one is simply not enough because the charge time is long. You can modify the battery holder very easily. First of all the canopy snaps right off and you can cut the zip tie holding the battery down, replacing it w/a rubber band to hold the battery. The battery can now be easily switched and your flight time is doubled! You can also hit 2 birds w/one stone when you rubber band the battery down you can inch it forward some increasing the weight in the front and helping forward movement. So you get the idea, there are some hobby-grade qualities here, you can modify this chopper some. This chopper is worth the price if you want to get the feel for a large heli, and are not looking for blazing speed, this chopper will make you happy, just wait for a day w/very little wind, I would even say zero wind is best, don't be hasty DON'T EVER RUSH THINGS IN THIS HOBBY take your time flying in the right place at the right time and you're better off outside w/this one than indoors. Anyone who reviewed this chopper less than 3 stars either rushed things, or got a defective one which is far less likely in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars EASIEST TO FLY, February 22, 2012
D. Davis "D" (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
First off, this is advertised as a "700 MM" bird and it is absolutely no where near the size of a 700MM or .90 size helicopter. This helicopter is about the size of a .30 size raptor, maybe a tad smaller. THIS IS A THE BEST OF THE CHEAP JUNK HELICOPTERS ON THE MARKET. If you remove the battery from it's stock location, lengthen the wires 8" and fasten the battery to the most forward underside portion of the canopy with velcro, she will fly with a tiny bit of forward speed with sticks centered. This is good. If you order the Double horse 9400 tail rotor blade, and put it on the S033G, this heli will fly about 40 mph forward speed if you give it full forward cyclic. (The blade is much bigger, and it's fits perfectly. Remember to cut the black and red tail rotor wires and reverse them because this tail rotor blade is backwards) I own three of these. The first one was my test bird with about 40 crashes on it and it still flies very well. There are two versions of the 33g, the 7.2 volt and the 11.1 volt version. Make sure you buy the 11.1 Volt version because it's faster, more powerful and lasts a lot longer. I have three 11.1 volt batteries I purchased at the local hobby store and I fasten to the bottom of the canopy as described above with velcro. I have 27 hours flying the third one with zero crashes and I can literally get this thing up on it's side in a turn. VERY VERY good helicopter. I have a few other mods I've done but it too much to discuss here. I own RC cars, airplanes and Nitro Heli's and by far this is most fun of all. A few pointers. I have been flying this heli alot, and the EFLITE 11.1 Volt batteries are light weight and work perfectly for this. As I said I velcro them to the outside bottom canopy (as far forward as possible) and I run my elongated wires out to the battery. I get about 12 minutes of run time on the stock battery and about the same on the EFLITE battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flies Great!, January 28, 2012
Rec'd. today and after charging flew for about 5 minutes. I will agree w/ some reviews that the charger converter in kinda cheap. It does work (at least for now) but we'll see. As far as the flying performance goes, it appears to handle and fly better than the Double Horse 9101. I own the SYMA S107, Viefly 339, Double Horse 9074, Double Horse 9101, Double Horse 9104 and now the SYMA SO33G. So my comparison reference is pretty good I think. I think the 9104 performs better than the SO33G. I am happy with the SO33G and glad I purchased it. It is easier for my wife to fly than the DH9101. So overall it performs well and seems to be constructed well. One more thing. . . I get a kick out of all the reviews (this goes for any RC helicopter) that indicate that the helicopter is not durable or that the performance lacks. I find it funny because isn't the durability directly related to the amount and severity of the crashes? And isn't the performance directly related to the ability of the person flying the helicopter? Lets face it, we all crash these things but I think some of us crash less and some of us have "lucky " or "unlucky" crashes. It would be nice if everyone was completely honest about the circumstances surrounding their reviews of the products. I'm done!

3.0 out of 5 stars What? No running lights, a smaller battery and tail motor??, February 17, 2012
I guess when they made these yellow ones, they didn't put on the rear running lights, and they replaced the 11.1 volt (GREAT POWER!) with a 7.4 volt (NO POWER) Bummer. Some other ones have the 11.1 volt. OTHERWISE, it is good. It's way slower than my red one, because of the smaller tail motor, and the drop in battery power. The tail motor in this Yellow one is 1/2 the size, of the one in my Red one. I am looking for a bigger (original size,) tail motor. They replaced the old tail motor,and battery because it was too powerful. NO NO NO!!!!! Keep the bigger tail motor SYMA, and 11.1volt battery so, we can fly in the wind!!! (You can see where they have the space for the bigger motor.) AND,did I say they replaced the 11.1volt, with the 7.4volt? SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY! The 7.4 v batteries die after 10 flights or so, and at 12.00 or more each. I have gone through at least ten, and now have to buy some 7.4 lipo PACKS solder the correct connectors on etc. See utube syma helicopter modifications. GET THE 11.1 Volt 2.4 gHz helicopters in any brand. They cost a bit more, but they don't cut out, and fly in mild winds, as opposed to the 7.4 versions which get blown away in mild winds. Your going to spend the money on batteries anyway. Might as well learn from my mistakes. I got a E-s%# Big L@#%% 11.1v and it flies in the wind great. Pretty fragile, and expensive, but look around. There are a lot of great 11.1v helicopters that boast 20mins of flying time. I will update.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 11.1 volt version., January 23, 2012
GET THE 11.1 volt version!. IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!! VERY DISSAPOINTED IN THE 7.4v helicopters. This has a regular antenna, that was working fine then started to cut out a little. I was flying it and it just stopped. Needed to let the helicopter antenna hang down 6 inches. Then I got a longer antenna (double horse replacement) for the remote, because it fell out of the sky. Started just before it hit the ground, and broke the landing gear. I am glad I bought it from Amazon. Had a lot of bad luck with Xh**, But not Syma Heli! Only good. THOSE are two Great sellers. Put a Double horse antenna on, moved the battery forward, replaced the landing gear (hard to find. Had to send to China for it.), taped a quarter under the nose, rewrapped the antenna wire, and she hauls azz once again!!! Has not cut out once.(stay away from frequency congested areas. (You wil know them because EVERY HELICOPTER CUTS OUT.) THE 11.1 version is TOUGH!!!!!WAY MORE POWER!!!!! The 11.1 volt is the only way to buy any helicopter. The 7.4v's don't have any power at all! You spend all you time fighting the wind. AND the batteries are money thrown out the door. I have gone through so many (about ten)Now I have to buy lipo battery pacs (and modify them,for my 7.4 versions, which means soldering the correct connectors), or finding the batteries with the connectors on them, (almost always from China) so it just doesn't stay in the air for two minutes. SAVE YOURSELF TIME AND MONEY, AND GET THE 11.1 volt 2.4gHz helicopter in any brand. They cost more, but It won't cut out, flies a lot longer, and with way more power.And you can change the batteries for more flight time. All my 11.1v helicopters actually fly in the wind. (not over 3mph), which is better than getting blown away in a 1mph wind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio antenna fix, February 13, 2012
I have read several reviews that mentioned that control sometimes drops and the copter falls.
It turns out that having the antenna wire wrapped around the landing gear is not such a good idea for some reason. I don't know why that is. But when I tried wrapping the antenna wire around the landing gear on one of my other copters I had trouble. So I unwrapped the wire and just let it hang and it was fixed.
Another good thing to do is add a bit of weight to the front of the helicopter. Just pop off the cowling and plastic strap a bolt or something on top of the battery. I slid the battery forward and also added weight. It flies great now.
The copter is a great value for the price. Do not make the mistake of trying to take off easy because it will drift all over in ground effect. Instead lift off with authority at least a foot off the ground and it will stabilize instantly. Then you can control it easily to do whatever you want.
Hope this helps.
Rick
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Syma S033G - My Review and mods, August 6, 2013
This was my first outdoor helicopter. SO ALL YOU PROSPECTIVE NEW OUTDOOR CHOPPER BUYERS LIKE I WAS READ. I was pretty nervous, not ever operating one of these outdoors. Previously I had flown some "Air Hogs" indoor mini helicopters. My first impression was a little panic because I didn't want to screw this up on my first flight however, the panic came from the instructions which were written in Chineglish...... Anyhow, flying one of those Walmart mini Air hogs indoor helicopters isn't much different than flying the s033g! I operated this easily out of the box. I have made some mods based on reading all these posts. I am listing them the way I would of wanted to see them, instead of burying them in the middle of a huge paragraph making research tough. I'm not smart enough to think of these mods myself so thanks to all you posters!

Modifications:

1. Battery position: I read all over where people said to move the battery forward an inch to help with forward thrust. That worked great except That I could not swap batteries out, creating a sucky long recharge wait to fly my new toy again!.... Too impractical for me. I want to fly longer than 6 minutes! So I found the best way was to REMOVE THE BATTERY ENTIRELY. Place velcro on the bottom front of your chopper and put velcro on your BATTERIES(plural). Wow..I can swap a dead battery out in 10 seconds, and even place my battery as forward as I want, to help the out-of-the-box forward thrust issue.

2. Antenna: I read different ways to wrap your antenna here and there to get best signal. Would your wrap your automobile antenna around in circles to get better reception? The manufacturer wraps the antenna nice and neat as part of packaging and making everything look cool, new, and neat when you unpack your new chopper. That's the only reason as far as I'm concerned. Bottom line: LET YOUR ANTENNA DANGLE. I have never had a signal problem. Yesterday, I sat in the dug out of a adult softball field and flew this at least 20 feet beyond the home run fence, and at least 60 feet up...I could barely see the chopper it was so far away and flew it back to me. In other words, I flew over 225 feet(softball fence distance) with a dangling antenna. Don't loopty loop or cut one inch of the insulation off at the end.

3. Tail Rotor: I ordered the $2.99 Double Horse 9104 Helicopter Spare Parts Tail Blade (Blue) B0089VMSZ2 . This was larger, fit on the chopper and gave much better forward thrust. While waiting for the upgrade, I took a couple old credit cards and cut them into two nice big rudder props for the existing tail rudder. Next, I cut the width of the existing tail rudder in half with heavy duty scissors. About 2/16" from each side of the existing prop to help offset weight with the added credit cards props. I used plain old super glue to glue the American express and master card props to the cut props. I made the bond stronger by using vise grip pliers to hold steady pressure while drying. 30 minutes later I tried it out and it works just as good as the double horse modification. Tail rudder mod + forward battery mod = forward thrust issue solved. You can now fly into small winds. Only problem is your forward and rear thrust will be reversed, since the Double Horse prop is opposite angled from the S032. If you are good with circuit boards you can reverse this little issue. Otherwise I adjusted fine to the reversed controls.

4. Main Rotor Blades. I read where someone said that the Main Rotor Blade Set A And B 4 Pc For The Double Horse 9053 Gyro Helicopter B003PNSO4S are sturdier and fit onto the s033g. The person claims that with these new rotors he had better performance and more stability control. A couple of times, my top and bottom rotor blades hit each other because of their flexibility while flying at a good height, and i make a sudden turn, making me temporarily loose control of the chopper...giving me a moment of panic. I am still awaiting these new blades and will post my results if I can get back into this thread. UPDATE: The 9053 blades didn't fit so don't do it unless you are adept at engineering and can adapt the blades somehow.

PROs:
1. You can order every part of this chopper down to the screws. The spare parts are pretty cheap and easy to replace parts yourself. So if you manage to break something, don't sweat it too much. I'm no engine mechanic and was able to tear this chopper down and rebuild it. I used the wrong type battery once, during a drunken stupor and fried the circuit board. I ordered a new one for a few bucks and figured out how to replace it. All i needed was the small head phillips screw driver and needle nose pliers. I own two 2033gs now.

2. Like TIMEX, these take a licking and keep ticking. Example= yesterday while I was flying the s033g at a softball field, i turned my attention away from flying for a moment resulting in the chopper directly crashing into the field steel light poles, at least 30 feet up. I ran to the chopper like one of my loved ones were seriously injured....and nothing but a couple scratches. After close inspection to make sure no rotor parts broke away, I flew it again...flew perfectly.

Cons:
1. Some parts can take a couple weeks or more to get since most spare parts sellers are in china.
2. If your a supper NOOB like I was and fly your chopper as high as it will go straight out of the box, the crosswinds you didn't know were up there, will take your bran new chopper bye bye. I hope you have running shoes on.

That's all folks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value in a back yard flier, September 21, 2012
This is my first Amazon review, and I felt the need to write it because of the mixed reviews this helicopter has recieved. I've been building and using every major type of RC model on the market for 25 years.

This thing is a phenomenal value if you want a helicopter you can take out in the back yard and buzz around with at dusk. If you've flown their smaller indoor model, it flies very similarly, but more stably due to it's size. The gyro is precise, and it can actually carry a modest cargo - I strapped a smartphone under the skids and it lifted it easily.

Definately uncoil the antenna and let it drape below the model. I have had no control issues whatsoever.

Like all coaxial helicopters in it's class, it is very intolerant of ANY wind. The tail rotor will simply not offer enough control, and you'll wind up downwind and not able to return. There are mods discussed to change the CG and gain more forward speed, or to swap the tail rotor. I have not tried these. If you fly it at dusk in no wind, it flies superbly.

Flight time is 5-8 minutes. At $58, it is an amazing value.

Edit, a week later: I moved the battery 1" forward, and it is much more controllable in the wind. It's a little trickier to fly this way, since it will settle significantly when you transition from forward to near-hover. And it will slowly fly forward with the stick at neutral this way, unless you use some back "cyclic". For somebody who has a few successful flights under their belt, this is a great change - allows you to fly in a light breeze.

The advertisement is incorrect - these are NOT Lithium polymer batteries. Mine has a 7.2V 1150 ma Lithium ion 18650 pack. It flies fine - but it's not LiPo. I may look at swapping them out for better flight time, but you'd need to be careful about what charger you use.

Still. For this modest amount of money, it's a fantastic bargain and a lot of fun.