3,169 Reviews

1,064 of 1,103 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Syma S107
Published on March 2, 2010 by J. Ward

1.0 out of 5 stars Syma Helicopter
I wanted to give this a five star rating, but instead I decided to give it a one because I thought it would be more heplful to others to post in the bad review section. Again, I give this a 5 star rating.
Published on November 11, 2011 by Jeffery A. Clark

1,064 of 1,103 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Syma S107, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
I ordered this helicopter along with 3 other helicopters. 3 from Syma and one off brand helicopter. I ordered multiple helicopters because the only ones I have flown have been 2 channel and if one broke I would have backup. I ordered the Syma S107 and S105 at the same time, and the S107 arrived first and the S105 arrived the next day. On my frist flight of the S107 I was suprised how stable and smooth the flight was. The box says 14 and up but I think anyone could control this helicopter. It goes up, down, left, right, forward, and backwards, all at a balanced speed thats good for indoor flight. It is not too slow to be boring or too fast that you can't controll it. The trim button on the controller is pretty much not needed because it does not spin out of control. I still havnt adjusted the trim after about 20 flights. Also, both Syma helicopters are VERY durable since they are made of metal and hard plastic. The blades are also durable. There are some differences in the S107 and S105. The S105 is slightly wider and slightly longer. It also has two LED lights on each side and one in the front, a total of 6, which can be cool or annoying, it just depends on preference. The s107 has a single light on the front. The S105 seems to spin out more than the S107 and is more difficult to trim. This is an obvious flaw that was addressed with the newer S107, because it does not spin out at all. They both can be charged with the controller or through a USB port on your computer which is good if you don't want to waste your batteries on your controller. They both use 6 AA batteries in the controller. Both helicopters are extremely durable and have been crashed several times. My only complaint with them is the flight time is only around 5 minutes, although I don't have anything to compare it to because the other 2 helicopters I ordered are still not here yet after about a week and a half. Also, the only option for shipping is standard shipping. Overall I would recommend the S107 over the S105 because of the trim issue with the S105, but both are excellent helicopters and they are a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BANG FOR BUCK! VERY Stable! Should go for $100, July 12, 2010
Length:: 0:23 Mins

I am not a Heli expert but can say I have owned an Electric Falcon with Auto Pilot ($250-350), a Coco Lama (great heli $75) and the first micro heli($19). The s107 is fun and VERY stable, you really can't ask for more, it will go back and forward very easily, it would literally be a work of engineering at this price if it had better turning. Let me explain- it vertical controls are quick and presice, it goes up and down very easy and with power, it turns to the right or left by a light touch. What it is lacking is horizontal yaw. But guess what it's a toy and so cheap that I must say outside of this it's a blast! I love my Coco Lama, its bigger and worth every penny, yet this micro is sturdy and has great controls, it's a steal for 30-35 total, its built very well and strong, I truly believe its going to be around a long time and if not the parts are cheap. I truly believe it could go for $70-100 so it's the best bang for the buck! I hear there is a walker out there that is great but its $100. I question how much better and fully applaud Syma and Xheli for making it cheap. I also feel it's a great learner heli, oh yes. You get this thing down when you step up will have the basics down. BUY it! For this price it's a 5 You will not be wasting money its worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Syma s107 helicopter, October 20, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 4:06 Mins

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there such a thing as a toy that's too perfect...?, July 28, 2010
Hey Mo!! (The City of Townsville) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Syma S107 is so easy to control that on my first flight I had it tour my whole apartment, zooming in and out of closets and never touching an obstacle until I deliberately landed it. If you've never flown a good RC heli before, you might need to practice a bit. It might be your second or third flight before you get that good.

The S107 is *really* that easy to control.

I'm sure that many of you have played with Air Hogs and other micro helis and you long for a little heli that just plain flies where you want it to fly and stays up in the air. I'm here to tell you that such perfection is within your grasp.

Before I got my S107, I already owned two Syma S105s and I never get tired of flying them. They look almost identical to the S107 and the remote is identical, but they take a little bit of skill to fly with precision and I've made little tweaks here and there to get better control.

The S107 takes almost no skill to fly. They gyro makes it laughably easy to control. Just use it indoors, get it about 4 feet off the ground so that ground-effects don't mess with it, fly it a decent distance from air conditioning vents and the thing moves like it's hanging from a string on a stick.

That perfection is, perhaps, its one big flaw.

The thing is, I think the S105 is a bit more fun to play with. The S105 needs careful trimming at the beginning of each flight. The S105 tends to make broad turns, but pulls out sharply, risking blade-strikes, unexpected changes in direction and the occasional crash. It's incredibly easy to fly the S105, but even so every time that I fly one I grow more skillful with it.

The S107 just plain works. It goes where I point it.

I made one little change to my S107, taping a paperclip to the front to help it move forward more easily. That's the sum of all modifications that I made to mine. I can't find anything else to tweak. That's awesome. It's amazing. It's a fun thing to play with and the feeling of exhilaration endures even after many flights.

I heartily recommend this heli.

...But if you want a similar heli that's similarly amazing yet introduces a smidgen of challenge to each flight, consider the S105 as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Syma Helicopter, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
The reason Im posting in bad reviews is because I see a lot of reviews saying that the heli wont go more than a couple of inches off the ground. This also happened to me. What happened is I didnt read the instructions. The transmitter throttle must go through a self calibration when you turn it on or else the heli wont get full throttle. Here is how to do it (it is in the instructions)
1. Heli turned off.
2. Turn on transmitter.
3. Move throttle to full position.
4. Move throttle to lowest position.
5. Turn heli on.
That must be done or else it wont fly right.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Product With 1 Glaring Weakness, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
I love this helicopter. So why the 1-star rating? I want to draw attention to the one glaring weakness of the Syma S-107 in the hopes the manufacturer might one day address it. Specifically, the "manual" (a poorly translated leaflet) does not contain any information about proper care of the battery, which is clearly the least durable part of the helicopter.

Caring for the Lithium Polymer (Lipo) battery inside the helicopter requires a very specific set of behaviors. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to describe them. I'd like to see Syma provide customers with the following instructions:

1. Never fully deplete the battery.
2. Time your flights and limit flying time to 5 minutes.
3. Allow a 5-minute rest period between charges and flights.

If you follow these instructions, it is not uncommon to log hundreds of flights on an S-107. More information on best practices, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance available in the many discussion forums dedicated to this toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the Five-Star Reviews!, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
This helicopter definitely delivered what the reviews said about it (so far). I've only owned it for about a week, but I've been flying the heck out of it and it's a blast! Is it durable? Yes. Indestructable? No. I've flown it into the roof of the warehouse at my work (about 35-40 feet up), and had it fall all the way down to the concrete below and have it not break. On the other hand, the first time I let my wife fly it, she crashed into the wall, it fell between a child-gate and a stone hearth, and the shaft bent. Turns out it just needed to be bent back a little and it was as good as new (literally). I also had a bad crash with it and broke the top of the shaft where the balance bar is. I thought it was going to be a more involved fix, but all I had to do was buy a $3 shaft replacement, take out two screws, replace the top plastic part of the shaft, replace the screws, and it was good to go again.

I'm tempted to have my 3-year-old play with it, but I don't think he's capable yet. I bet you that a 4-year-old could (even though it says 14+ on the packaging), and I have a blast with it as a 32-year-old man (what a surprise). When I play with the copter at work, my coworkers stand around and stare at it (sorry, customer service). When I play with it at home, my 3 and 1-year-old boys laugh hysterically and chase it around the house. My dog wants to eat it (and has got his teeth on it a few times), and my cat is scared as **** of it.

I purchased this one to practice learning how to fly before I open the Chinook I purchased for Christmas, and it was a great idea. I now know how to fly the thing without destroying it and still having a ton of fun. As far as ease of flying goes, this model is super easy. EXTREMELY stable (people who see it fly are really impressed) because of the Gyro system, and doesn't fly too fast so you're crashing into walls nonstop. It doesn't have a very fast forward speed (actually faster backward), but I've read you can add some weight on the nose to get it going faster (which I'm assuming may affect it's hovering ability), plus the slower speed keeps you from crashing. When the battery is fully charged, this guy takes off (up) extremely quick. It'll catch you off guard when it first happens. As the battery drains you will lose elevation (lift), until ultimately it just hovers barely off the ground and you can skate it around the floor. Then back to charging (the USB charger has a light on when you plug it in. When you plug the helicopter in the other end, the light turns off. When the charging is complete, the light turns back on again... simple and about 45 minutes -- save the batteries in the remote control), and flying (about 5-8 minutes, as advertised... depending on how aggressively you fly it).

Finally, I was worried about the infrared controller's ability, but it works great (even around some obstructions, as long as the signal can bounce of surrounding walls). Only time it cuts out is under real bright lights and, more specifically, direct sunlight. I've flown it outside when there is no wind and it's just before dawn (or dusk) and it works fine.

Can I really say any more? I convinced my wife that we should buy one for my brother-in-law for Christmas and, for such a low price including super saver shipping, it's a great deal. I can't wait to open my double rotor Chinook for Christmas!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fly, but...., April 30, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
The thing is a breeze to fly! Mine arrived in perfect condition, and with 3 days of flights w- no crashes the helicopter stopped lifting off & the controller was acting crazy, even after a battery change. Found out the lower rotor shaft has slipped out of place and was not rotating at full speed. A small piece of duct tape has secured the rotor shaft back in place. The rotor shaft thing has been reported in other RC group sites, so buyers should be aware that this may happen to them as well. Now lift off is working again, and will have to see how well the controller works. Overall the best flying helicopter in the price range, but made in China so quality may be questionable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best coaxial RC Heli for under $30.00!, October 7, 2010
Length:: 1:14 Mins

This Heli is super stable, the li-po battery last very long but cannot be replaced without soldering unlike the 9098. However, it has the best flight characteristics of all the 3 channel micro coaxial Helis I've tried. Its the perfect place to start if new to RC Helis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., March 24, 2010
This review is from: Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary (Toy)
The Syma S107 is the best indoor micro helicopter you can buy. The Gyroscope technology is amazing. This thing is extremely easy to fly because it's so stable. And it's virtually indestructible. In my experience charging by USB takes about an hour and flight time is around 8 minutes or so. The worst part about this helicopter is waiting for it to recharge.

Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary