5.0 out of 5 stars JAN VACLAV LEFT US TOO SOON, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Symphony in D / Mass in B Flat (Audio CD)
Odd that there isn't an entry for Vorisek in the Music Lovers Encyclopedia. JAN VACLAV HUGO VORICEK (1791-1825) was a significant composer. He influenced his friend Schubert and won the approval of Beethoven, who was his chief influence. Vorisek's Symphony in D (lamentably it is his only symphony) is his most poular work. But it is his MASS IN B FLAT that I wish to bring to your notice. I don't know if a mass is supposed to be enjoyable. Perhaps "satisfying" is the word. Enjoy the Symphony, but pay special attention to the sumptuous and highly satifying canonical work.
Would that Vorisek had not contracted TB and lived to give us more works on a grand scale. These two will keep his memory alive. The performances are equally satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Symphony! Powerful and flawlessly written!, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Symphony in D / Mass in B Flat (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my collection of early 1800s symphonies, and now it is one of my favorite symphonies from this period. It begins and ends powerfully. The first and last movements are very much in the style of Beethoven without quoting him (something that I think is just fine and shows genius). The second movement is beautiful and fascinating. The opening chords sound like they were composed by a much later composer. Powerful and somewhat sad; using the lower registers of the orchestra. Soul-stirring. There is a haunting, beautiful hymnlike melody that comes up several times. Here Voricek has unusually long passages for the double basses. One can feel the pathos strongly. The third movement sounds to me like Mendelsohn's style but with a bit more of a full-bodied sound. I am not a fan of church of music so this review is not about the Mass that is also on this CD.

Symphony in D / Mass in B Flat
Symphony in D / Mass in B Flat by Jan Vaclav Vorisek (Audio CD - 2001)
Rate and Discover Movies