From the Back Cover
- Discover SyncML, the new global standard for synchronizing virtually any mobile device
- Covers both the technical and business issues
- Covers personal and enterprise applications, new mobile services, security, device management, and more
- Includes practical guidance for coding and integrating SyncML solutions
- By four leaders of the SyncML standards community
"The authors have in-depth, firsthand knowledge of the inner workings of SyncML technology. This is an essential guide for anyone building or implementing data synchronization and device management applications."
Director and Chairman of the Board, SyncML Initiative, Ltd.
Introducing SyncML: the new XML-based standard for universal synchronization.
Effective, standards-based data synchronization will make possible a new generation of breakthrough mobile services. Now, there's an XML-based standard that enables synchronization across virtually any device, platform, application, or service: SyncML. In this book, four leaders of the SyncML community offer an insider's guide to SyncML from both a technical and business standpoint. You'll discover why SyncML offers advantages available through no other technology; how SyncML overcomes the traditional obstacles to universal synchronization, and how SyncML can be integrated into end-to-end solutions that deliver a first-class "out of the box" experience.
- SyncML solutions for personal information management, enterprise data management, and mobile services
- SyncML clients, servers, synchronization/representation protocols, DTDs, transport bindings, and more
- Synchronization for one-to-one, many-to-one, many-to-many, and hybrid topologies
- Security and authentication in SyncML applications and services
- Using SyncML to provision and manage mobile devices
- The SyncML API, Reference Implementation, and SyncML Conformance and Interoperability Process
SyncML is designed for every business and technology professional concerned with mobile applications and synchronization. Decision-makers will learn how SyncML will drive new business models and the delivery of entirely new products and services. Software architects and project managers will discover how SyncML components can be integrated into complete solutions; and developers will learn how to maximize the performance, reliability, and scalability of those solutions.
About the Author
UWE HANSMANN is IBM development manager for multiple Pervasive Computing projects, including the development of the SyncML Reference Toolkit. He was co-chair of the SyncML Core Expert Group.
RIKU METTALA, technology manager for SyncML-based application technologies at Nokia Mobile Phones, has led SyncML software projects and contributed to SyncML standardization from the beginning.
APRATIM PURAKAYASTHA, research manager at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, specializes in mobile computing and mobile data synchronization. He is a founding contributor to the SyncML standard.
PETER THOMPSON, Senior Software Engineer for Starfish Software, chairs the SyncML Technical Committee.
See all Editorial Reviews