Published 2 months ago by TheTruthHurts

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, for a short period of time
Both of these games reel you in with these cool gameplay mechanics or stories, but very rapidly lose their luster as they became boring within 1-2 hours.
Published 1 month ago by James Bobka

4.0 out of 5 stars OK...since others are using "reviews" as "technical commentaries," I'll do the same. :), May 24, 2014
This review is from: Syndicate/ Saboteur Bundle [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
a) The Saboteur runs perfectly on Windows 7. To apparently insinuate that a majority of Windows 7 users can't install the game (a "ton" of people could refer to .00001%) is misinformation. I've installed it four times, using it with a 2500K (quad) each and every time, and have never once had any kind of issue installing or running the game. Ever. Further, if you can't install it, call Origin. Unlike Amazon and Steam, they'll work with you (financially).

b) Though both games have native 360 controller support, if you're using a 360 controller, you will need to ensure that it isn't powered on before starting The Saboteur...turn it on only *after* the game is running. This is a valid bug that was never fixed. It does work, but if you start the game with the controller powered on, you'll see what happens (it ain't pretty).

c) Neither game, though especially Syndicate, requires much GPU power to run (the art of both games is fantastic, nonetheless). I can run both in 4K downscaled to 1080p with two 670s averaging around 50% utilization at 60 fps (minimum). Syndicate unfortunately doesn't support CSAA, though, where The Saboteur does (CSAA is vastly superior to downsampling [at 32X+, anyway]).

d) you will need a *monster* of a CPU to maintain 60 fps running The Saboteur. Just like other games of this sort (GTA, etc.), the game needs much more CPU power than it should. With a 2500K at 4.5, I am unable to maintain 60 at all times. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is.

e) The Saboteur is amusing for around three hours, then loses steam (for me). In four attempts, I couldn't get past the three-hour mark. Could be me, but a solid start quickly became boring. Still it's well worth under $2.50 just to experience a very unique first couple hours (the rest of the game could be brilliant...doesn't look like I'll ever know).

f) Syndicate is awesome. See my review here on Amazon. If you like sci-fi or FPS games, or especially both, you'll enjoy it. Weapons and environments are very cool and original, and the campaign lasts about eight hours (per Origin's stats). THE OVERUSAGE OF BLOOM IS INTENTIONAL. Seen Blade Runner? :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely nothing wrong with these games, January 18, 2014
These are pretty old games and can be gotten at a bargain, but paying $5 for two very fun games is always a good investment in my opinion. I'm not the biggest fan of having to launch Origin though (I usually block it out of my mind and forget I have these games installed).

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 4, 2014
Kevin Piatt "Kev" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
A respectable pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, for a short period of time, June 26, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Games are fun, June 24, 2014
Andrew (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
Easy way to kill some time. Neither game is really above and beyond anything special - but they aren't horrible either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, May 29, 2014
As a pair of bargain games these two did not disappoint. Both downloaded and ran perfectly on my Windows 7 computer via Origin. Also had no problem running these games with an AMD card despite reports claiming otherwise.

The Saboteur was great for a game that was pushed onto market with very little QA. QA issues aside it does start off a bit slowly but once you push through the first couple hours the pace really picks up. Very fun game.

Syndicate was not quite as fun but it is a decent enough way to kill off an afternoon or two. It is a fairly good looking game as well.

Absolutely no complaints here. Solid bargain.

2.0 out of 5 stars While the games themselves are good they run terribly on PC, July 25, 2014
While the games themselves are good they run terribly on PC. Despite having the recommend specs the Sabatouer is unplayable. With everything on low I was averaging 10 FPS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7/8? Dont buy (for Saboteur)., March 1, 2014
J. Fuchs "Game Guru" (Frolicking in the Gardens Of Hyrule with the denizens of my mind) - See all my reviews
NOTE: My review is two stars because of Syndicate. That game is relatively fun, and has some nice Deus Ex elements in it, but that doesn't save it from bad movement controls, terrible AI, and a completely out of control Bloom effect that permeates the entire game. It is seriously atrocious, and I can't play it for more than 30 minutes to an hour because of how annoying it is. I gave it two stars because even though it can be fun, the bad far outweighs the good.
That being said, I gave the two stars to Syndicate. If I could I would give The Saboteur a -5, or a zero at the very least. Please read on for the reasons.

The Saboteur simply will not run on any of my Windows PCs. I posted in the EA help forums regarding this issue, and a TON of other people have the same exact problem.... or worse. The game seems to be littered with bugs. And the "support" staff at the EA help-desk forums was not only clueless, but condescending and rude in most cases. They repeatedly used the excuse that it was an old game meant to run on old hardware, and we shouldn't expect it to work with modern operating systems. One of them suggested that we build an entire PC out of old parts in order to run this old game! There is a well known and documented bug that was never fixed that made the game crash (or not load at all) on PCs with 4 or more cores, including Hyper-Threading. Again, it was "this game is old, blah blah blah", and they suggested that you turn off all but one core on your CPU, and then go into your BIOS and turn off Hyper-Threading. That is just a ridiculous "fix" to a problem that a lot of people have. I have a 6-core i7 CPU, so I would essentially have to turn off 11 cores just to play the game.

Here's the kicker....
In the official suggested system configuration:
Processor: Quad Core running at 2.8 GHz or equivalent
Memory : 2 GB RAM (Windows XP) or 3 GB RAM (Windows Vista/7)

So for one, they say specifically to use a quad-core CPU. They say specifically to use 2 GB ram if you are on on Windows 7. Yet the two biggest bugs are people who have a quad-core CPU, and that have Windows 7 (or 8).
Another funny thing is, this game was released in December of 2009. Windows 7 was released retail in July of 2009. So tell me again, why doesn't this game work on Windows 7? Even in compatibility mode it won't work, even though that is the instructions I got from the "official" reply I got from the customer support email I sent.

So the "old game" is barely years old, which makes the suggestion to "build an old PC" to run this "old" game even more preposterous. Yes, I said preposterous. Deal with it. :-P

I guess if you are running Windows XP on a Core2Duo or an i3 or something, go for it. The game got good reviews, looks awesome, and I bet it is really fun.
I wouldn't know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 26, 2014
Nice package for such a price. Games are real good & activiates on steam

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 26, 2014
its a good game i still hate origin

Rate and Discover Movies