Published on April 16, 2012 by Jo

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on May 27, 2005 by Emily C. Wines

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, May 27, 2005
This review is from: Aromatherapy Professional Cold-Air Diffuser (Health and Beauty)
About the only thing worth buying this for is the glass "nebulizer". The pump is an aquarium pump, which didn't even work. Instead of blowing air out, it sucked air in. When I e-mailed the company they accused me of doing something wrong and said that I could send it back to them, but if they found out it was because I over-filled the nebulizer, they would not replace it. I didn't even get into a debate with them. When a company has that sort of attitude, it isn't worth telling them that the air pump "sucked" even before I hooked it up to anything!

The packaging is endearing, in that sort of third grade school project way. It's badly printed pieces of paper glued onto a cardboad box. I'm not necessarily one for promoting the mass production of consumer goods, and I definately champion the cottage industry, but I would expect someone to at least be able to run the instructions through spellcheck first. The instructions are not just poorly translated English, they are just plain poor.

If you have a bit of surgical tubing, some small corks, an aquarium pump, and a color printer, you could sell this product on Amazon! I expected a much more professional item. I like to think of Amazon as an on-line mall, not an on-line flea market.

As for nebulizers - This is my first time using one. I like the idea of putting the essential oils directly into the air, and the timer that this product comes with (once again, something you could buy from a dollar store) really does make a difference! The nebulizer uses a lot of essential oil very quickly. I only ever put 50 drops in at a time, and a 10ml bottle of Euclyptus was GONE in less than a two days, with the timer set to come on for 15 minutes every two hours (as suggested).

4.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing! Got rid of black mold and finally cleared my daughter's sinuses!!, April 16, 2012
The Synergy diffuser is one of my most important and valued and pleasurable possessions. This diffuser changed our lives. It works beautifully and is unbelievably quiet. It's very easy to use and clean. It is also really graceful and natural and beautiful looking. More importantly, MOST importantly, it cleared our home of black mold and cured my daughter's mold-related health condition.

My daughter suffered for one year with a strange health condition. We did not know it at the time, but we figured out later, it was caused by black mold and our new old house was saturated with black mold. My daughter (age 5) had huge amounts of mucus in her system. Sleeping on her back every night allowed mucus to pour down her throat. Almost every night she would wake around 3 or 4 a.m. and vomit about 2 to 4 cups of mucus (we learned to keep a small wastebasket with a plastic grocery bag, with tissues in the bottom, handy, for convenience and comfort while vomiting, and easy cleanup). Thank goodness we're an attachment parenting, family bed family, so we could be there when she needed us. Then she would refuse to lie down again because she didn't want the mucus going down her throat. We'd stack pillows up and she'd lean against these and finally fall asleep. Every morning, she'd wake with a thick layer of mucus dried on the back of her throat. I had this also, for a few weeks. It feels like partially hardened candle wax and the only thing that gets rid of it is eating something like bread, to pull it down.

I could write pages about what the mold did to our immune systems, and how I ended up with pneumonia for months without realizing it, and how we had recurring sinus infections, ear infections with burst eardrums, colds that lasted months, etc. But I'll try to keep this short.

When we discovered the black mold and figured out what it was doing to our daughter, we moved asap. We left behind our nearly new mattresses (which had mold on the bottom!), and all bedding. The first night in our new house, my daughter slept without vomiting mucus, for the first time in a year. After a month or so, the waxy stuff in her throat stopped.
But some of our stuff must have had black mold in it. As I unpacked, it must have spread through the house. Or maybe it was because my daughter found the tightly sealed bags with all her stuffed animals in them and opened them. (I'd been hoping to find a way to rid them of mold). My daughter started vomiting mucus every night, etc.

I threw out all stuffed animals (very sad for my daughter) and cushions.

By the way, we'd seen several doctors and specialists who were no help. Don't get me started...

I spent days in the library and on the internet researching black mold in houses and in humans and what to do about it.

I searched a long time for a cold-air diffuser after I read that tea tree oil or thieves blend essential oils can kill black mold in an entire house. When I read about thieves blend it said the diffuser MUST be a cold-air diffuser so the molecular structure of the oils is not altered. If the structure is altered they cannot kill black mold. I could not find a cold-air diffuser anywhere in our (major) city. Save yourself the bother and just order one online.
For weeks, I ran the diffuser night and day with an hour break in morning and evening. First with thieves blend and then with tea tree oil. Immediately we felt better.

That very first night we ran the diffuser, my daughter did not vomit mucus and she has not done so since. The waxy mucus in her throat every morning stopped after a couple months. She stopped snoring louder than a mack truck every night and now her breathing is clear.

Once, the diffuser stopped working. I had left oil in it without running it for a week. Cleaning it per the instructions did not unclog it. Finally I figured out a way. I put rubbing alcohol in it, per instructions. Then, I wet two fingers with alcohol and pressed them over each end of the glass "body" of the diffuser (removed from the wooden base). I pulled away one finger, fast, and heard a soft popping noise as the suction was broken. Then I repeated the process, but pulled a finger away from the other end. Then I pressed both fingers on the ends and shook the alcohol inside. This worked but it has caused the air flow to be stronger even on a low setting. I am fine with this, but others might want to 1) NOT leave oil in the diffuser and 2) contact the company for help, instead. This is the only reason I have not given the diffuser 5 stars, though it may be a user flaw and not a product flaw.

Now, when I'm not running the diffuser, I remove the body from the wooden base and store it in a drawer, tilted so air can flow freely through both ends. If there is extra oil in it, I just pour it down a vent, or into a jar of tea tree oil I use for cleaning purposes. I never have a clogging problem now.

I love the box the diffuser came in. It's great for storing pipettes, doesn't take up much room, is not ugly plastic, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product when it works, January 12, 2013
I purchased this product approximately one year ago. It will no longer mist the oil. I am having the same problem the other reviewer was having. I love the concept on the product if and when it works. I have cleaned it repeatedly with alcohol, but it does not work as before. I did try sticking by finger in the top and the mist came out for a short time. There is one thing you have to be careful with do not use a thicker oil. The product is not inexpensive so think twice before your purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this diffuser, September 24, 2014
I've owned and used this diffuser most days for more than 5 years. It's beautiful, reliable, very easy to fill, and allows you to adjust the speed and thus the volume of nebulized oil it sends into the air. I love that the oil only comes into contact with glass. Once in a long while (every few years) I've cleaned the residual sticky oil off the glass by washing the glass in my dishwasher, and it comes out totally clean as new. I'd give 5 stars if it had a timer.

Aromatherapy Professional Cold-Air Diffuser