TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I thought I was pretty adept at these sorts of games, but The Haunt is really tough! I only got through the first couple of scenes and then was lost. I printed out the walkthrough (all 14 pages of it) and was able to progress through the game following each step. It didn't seem too scary to me, just sort of creepy. Each scene is detailed and challenging, you need to think in order to progress. However, the story and actions are disjointed. I couldn't figure out why some things worked the way they did, and certain story elements just made no sense at all. I never in a million years would be able to play the game without the walkthrough.

There is also a jigsaw puzzle you assemble from hidden pieces in the scenes. I had trouble finding some of the pieces but after I found the flashlight (towards the beginning of the game), I turned it on and went back to the scenes with the hidden puzzle pieces and was able to find them.

This game is a challenge, no matter your skill level. It was NOT easy and took me a long time to finish, even while using the walkthrough. I can't compare it to any of the other games in this genre because it is so different, but I do feel it's one of those that you'll either love or hate.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Game play:
In this game you are getting clues and looking for various objects and tools that will help you to rid the house of ghosts. You collect tools and they are added to your collection. If you win you can close the portal that allows the ghosts to enter the house. Sometimes you need to solve a puzzle to move on in the game. Some items are well hidden and hard to find. You also have to figure out how and when to use the tool to your advantage to progress through the game.

You can collect moths and they are added to your inventory on the left of the screen. Taping the hint button uses one of your moths as payment and if you are still having difficulty there is a walkthrough link to the web which will help you to solve the problem. I used several moths as I played the game.

Many of the screens in the game are quite dark and turning up the brightness of the screen can help you to find objects. Just don't forget that you did turn it up as it consumes your battery faster. Collect puzzle pieces in each room you enter. The game is tedious and you are trying to find very small details.

I found several items like a safe and a locked box with a mechanism but I had no idea of how to I open them. Even the clues are ambiguous and such clues like listen for the click that you can't hear were not very helpful. There was one room that contained a coin on the floor that I could not pick up multiple times. When I went back to the room I was able to pick it up on the first try.

Home page:
* Play game
* Game options - set music and FX volume, skip puzzle button, how to play and information with credits and link to their web site
* More games takes you to Amazon and allows you to purchase their games

What I like:
The graphics are very good and the sound effect and music are mysterious and well done. I like these types of games as they make you think and work at winning or achieving the final goal. This one is challenging and interesting to play but frustrating at the same time.

I had to stop myself from playing just to write this review. It opened and played well on my Kindle Fire without any issues.

What I don't like:
You cannot pan and zoom in the rooms which make finding some small items difficult.

I found three links to the web so turn off your WIFI if you let your kids play the game. I also found numerous fake reviews and out of 100 reviews when I started at least 20 of them were fake and some written by the app developers themselves.

The game contains several permissions that are borderline dangerous. They can either be used for benign purposes or to link your device ID and to track your phone calls.

Summary:
While the game is intense and fun to try to find objects the lack of a pan and zoom feature makes the game more difficult to play. It does give you the feature of continuing a game in progress which is good but if someone else plays the game you will lose your progress history if they start over. The graphics are very good but dark so turn up your brightness of your screen.

It can be difficult to pick up items at some times and you may have to go back later to try it. I don't know why but that seemed to work. The clues are just another piece of the puzzle which is fine but you had better remember them as you search the house for inventory items. This game is very time consuming and not a quick five minutes of playing style of game. You will have to like this type of challenging game and have a lot of patience and determination.

The game graphics are 5 stars and the game play is between a 4 and a 5 star but difficulty is pretty high. I don't like all of the self-reviews of the game. The permissions can be risky so you have to make the choice of whether you want to keep the game or not. I am on a Kindle Fire so my risk is lower as I do no banking, contact lists or call anyone on the tablet but if you have a smart phone you have to make a choice.

I rate the game as a 4 star game.

Size: This game is a massive 76.01 MB which makes it one of the largest games I own. It consumes a lot of memory.

Permissions:
* Network communication - full internet access
* Kindle calls - read network state and identity
* Network communication - vie network state
* Hardware controls - control vibrator
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
I want to be sure that I write this so that no one mistakes it for a "fake" review (which seems to be becoming prevalent lately). I'm an avid Adventure game player, from 'back in the day' of text-based adventures. I have spent years playing games like the Myst series, the Zork series, and others like them. For the past year of owning an Android tablet, I have been waiting for a good point-and-click adventure game on that platform. I have not seen one as good as The Haunt.

I'm still in the early stages of the game, but I am amazed at the graphics. The scenes are extremely well-rendered, and the accompanying sound track is also very fitting for the subject. As in any good adventure game, the exploring and "discovery" are a large part of the game. Solving puzzles is another. So far, I've been quite pleased with the "size" of the game -- that is, the "footprint" that it has, consisting of several levels of an old house, as well as outbuildings behind the house. As I'd find each new room, I'd think to myself "There's MORE???"

There are some things that make the game mildly tedious. There is a very limited set of "random text strings" that are used when there's nothing to do. After a while, I just ignored all of the "There's nothing to do here" and "There is a feeling of paranormal activity here" messages, as they repeated virtually everywhere. But there was a very good balance of objects to find (my inventory is already quite large, with a good scrolling display) and figure out how to use, as well as the coins and puzzle pieces that are a part of the "background game". (There are almost 100 pieces to a jigsaw puzzle, scattered throughout the game. I happen to enjoy jigsaw puzzles, so I like this feature. Others may find it boring. But it's a big part of the game.)

There are also quite a few full-screen puzzles -- which are well-integrated into the overall scenery and story. Some of the puzzles are more obvious than others. Several reviewers have commented on the difficulty of the game. I enjoy "brain puzzles"; so I'm not put off when I run across ones that I can't solve immediately. (If immediate gratification is what "floats your boat" when playing a game, The Haunt probably will disappoint you. If you have the patience to play an adventure game -- especially those similar to what I mentioned above -- you'll enjoy The Haunt much more.)

I have yet to finish it, so I can't put a "play time" figure on it yet. But I'm pleased enough that I can hardly wait to get to 'The Haunt 2'. This is a well-done game -- particularly on the Android platform. And I hope to see many more like this.

Update: 1/3/13
I've been playing The Haunt off and on for a couple of weeks now. And I'll make some additional comments to my original. First and foremost, adventures games as a whole are very "audience specific". Several reviewers here have commented that you either love them or hate them. That is true with The Haunt. Adventure games require different skills, different personalities, different approaches -- even different "time resources". They're not level games; they're not hidden object games, or arcade games that you can play for 30 seconds while on the elevator. They take an investment in time. A good adventure game SHOULDN'T be "obvious"; it should require investigation, exploration, and a story with integrated puzzles. In fact, most of the puzzles should typically have two stages: the first being just to figure out what the heck the puzzle is about -- that is, what is the goal you're supposed to achieve. After you have that figured out, the second is to figure HOW to achieve it. This is all an investment in time and attention.

Players who like games with immediate gratifcation *will* hate adventure games; I've seen this response for more than 20 years -- since the first text adventure (Colossal Cave, still one of my favorites) came out. BUT... for those of us who *love* this kind of game, for those who want a brain challenge, not just a thumb challenge, for those who love the exilharation of success after toughing out a really intricate puzzle... for those people, The Haunt presents an outstanding adventure game. And I will continue to say that I believe this to be the best adventure game created so far on the Android platform.

With that said, I will add some caveats. It's not easy to design a really good adventure game. Yes, you want lots of exploration -- where nothing (seemingly) is going on for perhaps long periods of time. So that exploration has to remain interesting, has to hold the user's attention. Yes, you want tough puzzles. But when they are TOO tough, or when the clues are either lacking, or too easily missed (or the puzzles are simply too difficult to manipulate), they can become frustrating.

I encountered that in several places in The Haunt. I'm not bothered by a puzzle with 99 pieces that I have to gather from around the game; I understand that will take time, and be a "background activity". But when I get to a puzzle -- one single puzzle (and there are MANY in this game) -- that takes my time simply for mundane manipulative "busy work", I get frustrated. One such is a puzzle that, when I first discovered it, appeared to be a simple sliding tile puzzle. This one was a 4x6 puzzle, with a fairly understandable picture. So it was fairly straightforward to complete it. (Like adventure games as a whole, sliding time puzzles are something you either love or hate. They're not my favorite, but I'll do one occasionally.)

To my surprise, however, after solving this puzzle, it didn't complete the task. I wasn't even quite sure why not, or what to do next -- except that a new picture appeared. I must admit, I had a peek at the walkthrough provided by the developers. And it's a good thing that I did. Turns out that this was a special "three-in-one" sliding tile puzzle -- where you had to complete THREE pictures, each of them getting a bit more difficult. And nowhere in the game was there a clue of any kind what any of the pictures should look like. The second one was almost completely abstract, just blue and white -- it would have driven me insane, had I not peeked at the walkthrough (which contained an image of the finished puzzle).

This puzzle was "TMW" -- too much work. Solving the first puzzle proved that I know how to solve a sliding tile puzzle. Making me do a second one immediately thereafter -- when this next picture wasn't even understood or imagined, but rather abstract -- was tedious. Then to make me do a third one after that... it was "TMW". Not "fun" work, just "busy" work.

As if that weren't enough, there was also no may of sliding a row or column of tiles (as in many other sliding tile puzzles); you had to click individually on each tile to move it one space at a time. Even worse, there was a slight pause before you could click on another tile. So there was no ability to do a fast "click-click-click-click" to move rapidly through the tiles. Instead, it was "click... click... click... click..." Without question, this was the most tedious puzzle in the game. And without the walkthrough (which showed all three pictures), I think it would have been nearly impossible -- certainly not worth the amount of effort involved. This is really more of a note to the developers, because I truly love this game, and look forward to The Haunt 2 (and perhaps even more). The key is to keep the players interest -- not make them want to throw the game across the room.

Overall, I still say that *IF* you enjoy (or think you might enjoy) a well-written adventure game, with excellent graphics (and an eerie sound track), and TONS of puzzles, this is the best I've seen for Android. I've been awed by the "footprint" (i.e., the number of scenes that make up the overall landscape) of the game. But if you're frustrated by it... let it go.
on September 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
Best 1.99 I ever spent. Exciting entertainment for about 8 hours - difficult, and indeed scary. I didn't think a kindle game would actually be scary, but it was. I'm usually terrible at escape games even though I like them, but with a lot of fierce persistance I could figure out the puzzles.
on October 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
This app took a long time to download to my kindle fire. When Infinally got it I was dissapointed. There are no clear directions, just tap everywhere. Tap to get hints and puzzle pieces. I don't care for games when I am tapping the screen to try to figure out the game. I could have continued but, it was not enjoyable. I deleted it. A positive note - there seems to be a lot of levels. If you like this sort of game at least it should last awhile.
on November 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
I liked a lot of this game. I think I got quite far before consulting the walkthrough. I will the moths for the rest and see what difference there is.
One huge complaint I have is with the mini-puzzles resetting if you leave the game before completing them. The toy box one is in three parts. If you leave to take a break before finishing all three parts, when you return all three parts are reset. Big fail! This is not the only mini-puzzle I had this trouble with. The slide-puzzle would reset (not all of them like the box one) but still. Also, I woild have been happy with only one of those ones--having three almost madr me quit the game.
I haven't looked to see if this option exist, but would really like an option to bypass a puzzle if I got too discouraged/bored with it.
Other than those complaints I really enjoyed this game--A LOT! (so far) .

cheers!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
playing this game on a kindle fire: I have experienced freezing like other reviewers, and whole most of the time just exiting the game will fix it I have had to reinstall the game twice now. as a warning to others both times I had to reinstall the game was when the toybox was opened so SPOILER ALERT don't open the toybox until you need the feather.

now I'm at a place where I picked up the flashlight and it disappeared but does NOT show up in my inventory. so it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to finish the game. not sure whether to wait and see if the devs will send a fix for that or reinstall the game yet again. hard decision being that I'm closer to the end than I am to the start.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
HAUNT is decent Search, Logic, Puzzle Adventure game that has Great HD Graphics and nice Soundtrack. App FUNCTIONS SMOOTHLY MOST OF THE TIME. Lots of Hidden Puzzle pieces, INVENTORY Items and Hint Moths to look for everywhere. Sadly, it is difficult to play compared to other games of this type. It does offer Vague Hints but many people have to use the online Walkthrough to make any real progress. CONS: I don't care for the seemingly Unnecessary Intrusive Permissions. It should offer more clarity to get you started on solving many Uniquely DESIGNED Puzzles. It repeatedly Crashes my Xoom Tablet after I play for awhile. Overall, I Like it but am Disappointed with Flaws. Deserves 5 Stars if fixed. Only 3 Stars AS-IS!
on February 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
I figured with a walkthrough available I may as well give it a shot. I'm so glad I finally did! Yes, it was difficult, but if you keep checking your inventory and really think about how you can use it- if you like this type of game you know what I mean. And, yes, I used the walkthrough. AND I LOVED IT !!! EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! I did so much better than I thought I would after reading the reviews. I'm really tired of people leaving horrible reviews for games they don't understand. It's not the game's fault if a person won't read the product description or the reviews. The reviews, both good and bad, can give you a lot of specifics that can help you decide if it's the right game for you.
'The Haunt' IS A GREAT GAME! Played perfectly on my Kindle Fire 2nd gen. I write this as 'The Haunt 2' is downloading. Can't wait to get into it....
on September 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
The reviews on this one are right on - the graphics are great, the music is scary, and man this is a difficult game! I confess I needed the walk through to finish (but I am really bad at escape games). The writers thought of everything, there are great touches here and there that will suprise you. Really my only complaint is my KF didn't always register my tapping, so I'd end up using a hint moth just to find out I had it right all along. Nice "hints and cheats" screen that tell you if you've found all the puzzle pieces in that particular scene (need to find them all to finish the game). Great game!