Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Blu-rayChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 14, 2013
The only reason I checked this movie out was because Amber Heard was it in and I'm not disappointed that I did. She has a major role in the film and looks absolutely stunning on screen.

The movie itself takes a clear swing at how easily manipulated people are by the advertisements that we see each and every day. The premise is a bit far fetched, but I do believe that was the point. Heard plays a marketing exec named Six who is pitched the idea for a new energy drink by a slacker named Scat played by Shiloh Frenandez. Being a slacker, he doesn't have a formula or anything special at all, all he really has is the name which is a different spelling of the "F word." Of course he doesn't trademark the name but his best friend does netting the friend the million dollar payday.

If you're looking for a movie that is realistic and makes perfect sense than you'll probably find "Syrup" lacking. If you're willing to go along for the ride and enjoy the humor that is how easily we fall victim to advertisers than you'll probably like this movie a lot.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2013
"Looking at a billboard is supposed to feel like love at first sight but it's not real, it's just marketing and without it you wouldn't even know who you are." Scat (Fernandez) is fresh out of marketing school with no prospects on the horizon until he comes up with an idea for a new energy drink. When he brings it to the attention of Six (Heard) he is excited at the prospect of becoming rich but a double cross changes everything. With the job I have I pretty much watch everything no matter what it is. I usually don't watch the trailers for the movie because I don't like when they give too much away. Doing it that way makes what I watch real hit or miss as far as how good it is. What I have noticed is that the lower budget movies that I haven't heard of are 99% of the time better then the "studio" movies. This is a perfect example of that. I don't know if satire is the right word but the movie to me shows how the marketing industry will do whatever it takes to sell a product and how gullible the public is when it comes to branding. The movie does get a little dark at times but that proves it's point all the more. The movie is entertaining and funny but to me this is more of a statement movie. I could also be reading way too much into it though. Overall, a huge surprise of a movie that I highly recommend. I give it an A-.
on January 30, 2014
Very Entertaining. If you are an Amber Heard fan
this is a must own movie. Fun for everyone. Get it.
on February 1, 2014
I have to say that I have been on a very good roll with my small Indie movies. Syrup is no exception..I thought for sure it was a throwaway type movie and as it turned out, it was so much more. The best performance by far is Shiloh Fernandez, I have just become a huge fan...his wide-eyed optimist totally won me over. Amber Heard as the business driven and cool lady was very good, Kellan Lutz (he was why I got the movie) had a somewhat small and albeit silent role. To put it on the line....it is a movie about cutthroat business practices in advertising...I loved it and really recommend it.
on September 4, 2015
For me it was just a pretty girl from the movie "The River Why" Swearing like a sailor in a movie with no redeeming attributes. Amber is nice looking and not a bad actress BUT the writing-dialog in this movie was JUST PLAIN UGLY. Al Pacino can make foul language a virtue as in "Stand Up Guys" (a favourite) BUT A TRASHMOUTH just to maybe get a PG-13 or R rating is pretty obvious!! I shredded the disc... whereas I usually just donate losers.
Amber -- I don't know who advised you to do this movie -- maybe your budget... but it won't help your career & doesn't speak well of your judgement!
on June 13, 2014
I originally watched this via Netflix, and ended up watching it several more times, so I ordered it for a friend who used to work in advertising w/me. If you work in marketing or advertising, it'll probably amuse you for multiple reasons. But even if you don't, there's just something smart, sexy, and addicting about this movie. Yet, it's one where you're kind of embarrassed to say you like it. It'll probably be one of those films that develops a cult following -- it just has that feel. I want to order the book, too.
on March 30, 2015
A great movie for the cynical-minded. It lets you enjoy your hatred of corporate/marketing culture while liking the characters at the same time. The movie "breaks the fourth wall" to talk to the audience frequently, but it is part of the mood of the movie (as with Fight Club). There is little that feels forced upon the audience (although one of those things is the love interest), not even the ending ... despite the fact that the novel had a very forced ending. It's one of my favorite 'finds' in movies.
on June 29, 2015
It's a decent movie but is completely different than the novel by Max Berry and for that I was disappointed. But what can you expect, the book is always better than the movie.
on August 3, 2015
I enjoyed how this movie started and how things turned around. Very true in most of life's choices. The moral be careful what path you take.
on March 1, 2015
great price, arrived on time was packaged nice so it was perfect worked great would buy from this seller again!