For an inexpensive cell phone this one has a lot of features. Unfortunately, the menu system is overly complicated and the user manual is the worst I've experienced. It is not user-friendly to set up in that it requires extensive menu-surfing. Still not bad for the price.

*The following is my revised review:

Two weeks after my above comments, more...
Published on August 14, 2012 by George Pet

Published on September 17, 2012 by fbonzo

4.0 out of 5 stars T-Mobile 665 - Nice phone - Terrible menu system & user manual, August 14, 2012
George Pet (Howard Beach, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T-Mobile 665 Prepaid Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

*The following is my revised review:

Two weeks after my above comments, more information has been obtained - no thanks to T-Mobile. The manual provided in the box from a T-Mobile store did not match the TO 665 cell phone menu system. A "Getting Started" guide was not included and should have been. It is available as a PDF download at the T-Mobile web site support link. The OT 665 User Manual is also available as a PDF download at the T-Mobile site but doesn't match the phone's menu system either.
For the correct User Manual, got to the Alcatel web site support link for the OT 665 phone. The web site is: ALCATELONETOUCH.COM/USA. Click SUPPORT, click DOWNLOAD then select the One Touch 665. The next screen will provide the download links for the correct User Manual and the Quick User Guide. Also available for download is the Alcatel PC Suite V.7.0.36 which allows PC management of the phone's contacts and multimedia content. A USB data cable is necessary and the driver software is included as part of the Suite's PC installation.
Even though it may display the T-Mobile name of the front of the phone, it is an Alcatel product and that's where we need to go for the proper support.
T-Mobile 665 Prepaid Phone (T-Mobile)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for what it is., June 15, 2012
Looking for an unlocked cell phone that was adequate for voice and text, lightweight, small, inexpensive and worked with T-mobile prepaid for 10 cents/minute, I found this phone and thus far it appears to be just what I was looking for to replace my 6 year old KRZR when its screen died. Only downside is the dual band won't work for international SIM cards unlike the old quad band KRZR.

3.0 out of 5 stars (Updated: Got a replacement that worked fine +1*) Don't buy this phone - Dropped Calls Deluxe & Terrible (T-Mobile) non-support, September 17, 2012
fbonzo (5th/6th Neuro-circle) - See all my reviews
**UPDATED--FINALLY got a replacement (there was a good deal of unnecessary pain involved there, but T-Mobile DID finally come through). The replacement WORKS VERY WELL with NO PROBLEMS. I added a star to my rating. If I'd gotten this phone first, I'd probably have given the phone 4 stars. But, primarily because of my very poor customer service experience, I'm leaving it as a 3-star rating.

This review is NOT about Amazon service. It's about the T-Mobile/Alcatel 665 phone and T-Mobile service. I did NOT buy this phone from Amazon. I bought it directly from T-Mobile.
On the good side (yes, there is a good side to this phone):
1. Very light and portable
2. Great MP3 player
3. Nifty FM radio w/decent reception

DOWNSIDES:
1. DROPPED CALLS--I mean ALL THE TIME. I've been a T-Mobile customer for well over a decade. There are currently 4 T-Mobile users in my household. None of my previous phones (for the past 7 years or so, anyway) EVER dropped calls--not once. The other, non-665 T-Mobile users, NEVER experience dropped calls. My phone--this 665--drops calls w/absolutely no warning. I show full bars--all the time--then...BANG...dropped call. More on this in a minute.
2. Ridiculous, Inconvenient UI/Menu system. Certainly the worst visual UI I've worked with on a phone. I STILL can't even find where to check my phone log. If this is there, it is NOT on the first level of menus.
3. Output volume. Despite my praise for the MP3 player, the amplitude out of the headphone jack is so small that the only device I've tried that is usable is the earbud system that came with the phone. These are okay, but if you lose these or they break, then you'll have to find a direct replacement. I've tried four other earbuds and headsets and the output volume is unacceptably low for all three of these.
T-MOBILE SERVICE for this phone -- NEGATIVE 2 Stars...TERRIBLE
I bought this phone at the T-Mobile store in Issaquah WA. 2 weeks after I bought this phone, I took it in because of the dropped calls. They replaced the ancient SIM card, which I'd installed from my 6-year-old 2G T-Mobile Samsung. That seemed reasonable. They assured me they'd never had problems with this phone and that this would for sure fix the dropped call problems. I gave it another couple of weeks. BAD MOVE. When I returned, apparently I'd just gone over the 30-day mark and T-Mobile wanted $20 before giving me another phone. Sheesh. This policy was verified and stipulated by the local T-Mobile manager and the central T-Mobile support group. This is an absurdly consumer-hostile attitude.

Just a warning to all.

4.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE PURCHASING - and KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!, December 25, 2013
Let's start this review off by saying the most important thing about this phone...IT'S A PHONE. Like all clamshell styled phones, it's BASIC. If you are thinking about using it as something other than a phone, then you have "some" options, but DO NOT think that t his is a substitute for any other device. I use it for making and receiving important/emergency calls. For those purposes, it's really very adequate.

AS A PHONE - The design is nice and slim, and the buttons are very large, which makes it very convenient for people with poor eyesight. The buttons, however, are very FLAT, so dialing is occasionally less than "smooth", and you won't be able to dial by "feel", but will actually have to look at the keypad when you dial. Since this phone (like every phone out there) can store your contact numbers, that shouldn't be too inconvenient. The reception is good, but that's more a function of your service provider than the phone. If you're looking for a nice basic phone that fits very comfortably into your pocket, this is ideal.

TEXTING - As mentioned, the keypad is extremely FLAT, and the input modes are somewhat non-intuitive. If you text a lot, this is not the phone for you.

EXTRA FEATURES - The fact that this phone comes with an MP3 player and an FM radio is very appealing for people who want to listen to something while they travel. Be warned...this is not the premier MP3 player. These features are "extras". Don't go confusing this with some of those smart-phones. Considering the price, this is actually a great little unit, but there are some limitations that people should be aware of.

The MP3 playing software seems determined to limit the user to just 600 songs. Any other songs that you wish to listen to should be placed into a different folder, accessed MANUALLY, and played one at a time using the filemanager funtion (it's right there in the menu, so it isn't too inconvenient). Still, 600 songs is a lot to choose from for a steady stream of music, and playing additional songs (one at a time) is still possible. I have well over a thousand songs stored on the card (my 8 gig micro SD is filled), and if I feel like listening to one that is not in the main MUSIC FOLDER, it's only a few button-taps away. One "work around" is to simply transfer an entire group of songs from your CD as a single MP3 (such as side B of Abbey Road and a lot of Pink Floyd albums).

Other comments have noted that there is no volume control. This is untrue. Just press the Up/Down keys WHILE THE SONG IS PLAYING. The low volume of the unit can be overcome by getting a better set of headphones. I'm using the JVC Gumy HAF160s (I don't use the headset for phone conversations, so that's fine). These headphones seem perfectly matched to this MP3 player, and the volume is more than adequate.

I have also read that the construction seems a bit flimsy. Yes. It SEEMS that way, but being abit of a klutz, I've dropped this phone 4 times, and so far, everything is still working FINE.

The menus are not very intuitive, but you will get used to it, and you can always CONSULT THE MANUAL. It isn't hard. Overall, I'd say this is a very good basic phone (but quite weak on texting, which I never do so it made no difference to me), and comes with enough extras to make it an excellent purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars my 1st phone, October 7, 2012
I had never had a phone and I am 23 years of age. The reason I chose this phone is because it's simple and it functions for what I needed it for (texting and phone calls). I didn't want a high tech smart phone, so I searched for a flip phone that was simple, easy to access, looked slick and plain (and it came in my favorite colour, Blue). Fortunately, this phone has been useful and has worked well (I received it on Sept. 7th) !! The downside of it is that the camera sucks, and there is no volume control (well that I haven't found, at least), but over all, I do recommend this phone for anyone that desires simplicity. My mom liked it and was thinking of getting one, she's quite old school and wants an easy phone as well. I love this little phone, I receive many compliments from friends, because it's rare to see a flip phone now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, July 3, 2012
BNA (United States) - See all my reviews
Small size is easily pocketed while the nice big keypad is much appreciated. Deducted one star due to the less than stellar sound from the earpiece. The sound is plenty loud but is just a little bit scratchy. Overall best new flip phone we could find. There are other older flip phones out there but they were just too big and bulky. This handset is of a very handy size. Not bad at all if looking for a non-smartphone to stay in touch with. So far the T-Mobil service has been very good. Can talk anywhere that folks using ATT or Verison can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little cheap phone, July 21, 2013
I bought several of these for $15 a pop when it was on sale on Amazon to give to my parents and one as a spare backup. My parents had large fancy smartphones and it was driving me nuts having to troubleshoot with them every day and constantly having calls rejected, phones stuck on airplane mode, muted volume, dead batteries, deleted contacts, frozen or nonresponsive phones, and a million other things that can go wrong with super fancy technology and old people. These phones were a godsend. There are no volume buttons to accidently mute, no way to butt dial with a clamshell, actual physical buttons to push, no millions of extraneous things that detract from the main calling function. It works well as a phone, with a loud enough ringer, speaker phone, good reception, great battery life, and a durable and tossable body you don't have to worry about baby-ing since it is so cheap you could always get a new one. For the price of one mid-range smartphone, you can get two dozen of these to pass around at your next birthday bash. And in five years time they will still be going strong too, even with dozens of drops and the occasional angry hurling at people's heads.

I am actually a smartphone enthusiast and I change my smartphone every six months to the latest and greatest bleeding edge thing. But in-between the downtimes I use this as my temp phone and man is it a breath of fresh air. Something that just WORKS, is no nonsense, and I can just slam on the table without a care. I can take it on bike rides or to the beach. And it never lets me down.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, January 7, 2013
I agree with the other reviewers about the phone manual (worthless) and not being intuitive. But I still give it 4 stars:
-It is a nice lightweight clamshell, big buttons (lighted). There are not many clamshells these days.
-It places calls and receives them !
-You can put a big microsd card and have portable storage
-It has a camera that does also video, you can use the pics for emergencies (yes, pics as fuzzy, don't use them for photo contests)
-FM radio, Bluetooth
-Decent mp3 player (would prefer it to be louder, like stated in other reviews)
At the current price I consider it a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seemed great for the low price, but I had a different use for it..., April 10, 2013
I purchased this phone since it was the lowest prepaid T-Mobile phone I could find. I needed to port my phone number from my VoIP provider to Google Voice, but Google Voice can only port in mobile phone numbers. So I ported my number for free from my VoIP provider to this phone, and then to Google Voice for a twenty dollar fee. I barely used this phone, but for the extremely low price it seemed like a decent phone if you need to keep things simple and inexpensive. The buttons were nice and large and the screen was fairly easy to read. The menu navigation was a little weird until you got the hang of it. It is so amazing how low the price is for this phone, especially since there is no contract. If you are looking for a very inexpensive prepaid phone, this seems like a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice and cheap, December 21, 2012
CF (CA - USA) - See all my reviews
Great small little clunker; I needed a phone for some relative visiting for the holidays; and this will do the job.

The phone is nice and is easy to use; has few buttons so there is no confusion, and even has a camera and a radio; other than of course sending SMS and making phone calls.

Easy to use; kid proof, has camera and radio and is a pay as you go, so can't ask more. Good for when you get relatives from out of town and wanna give them a phone to call while they are in the area.