The highly affordable and easily pocketable Android-powered T-Mobile Comet is a great a great choice for those transitioning to the world of smartphones. This 3G-enabled smartphone features a 2.8-inch touchscreen display, 3.2-megapixel camera/camcorder, a fast 528 MHz processor, and the latest Android operating system (version 2.2, also referred to as "Froyo"). And with prepaid and postpaid calling plans from T-Mobile Pay As You Go, you'll be able to pay the way you want without being tied down to a monthly contract (learn more about prepaid services below).
The affordable, Android-powered T-Mobile Comet smartphone (see larger image).
With integrated Google technology, the Comet brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by Voice, YouTube and Picasa. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate email, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to over 100,000 useful applications, widgets and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
Enabled for T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, the Comet offers fast data delivery and an enhanced Web-browsing experience that lets you connect quickly to social networking sites. And this 3G-enabled mobile phone will benefit from the enhanced speeds of T-Mobile's upgraded HSPA+ network, which offers speeds close to 4G connectivity and is being rolled out nationwide (read more about HSPA+ below).
You can also take advantage of T-Mobile's nationwide 3G network and share the Comet's mobile broadband connectivity with your laptop or tablet while on the go using either a tethered USB connection or creating a Wi-Fi Hotspot with your phone that other Wi-Fi-enabled devices can connect to.
Other features include GPS for navigation using Google Maps and accessing location-based services, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, microSD memory expansion (to 32 GB with optional cards), digital media player for music and video, integrated FM radio, an HTML web browser, and up to 9 hours of talk time.
Create a Wi-Fi HotSpot so multiple people can take advantage of T-Mobile's mobile broadband network (see larger image).
- Fast 3G connectivity via T-Mobile's HSDPA/UMTS network. (1700/2100 MHz bands, UMTS/HSDPA; see more about T-Mobile's 3G service below)
- Quad-band GSM connectivity for good global voice roaming.
- Powered by the Android 2.2 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- 528 MHz processor
- Built-in GPS for real-time location on maps, driving directions, and more (additional charges may apply)
- Google Maps Navigation (Beta) provides free, pre-loaded turn-by-turn voice guidance. Powered by Google and requiring an Internet connection, it enables you to simply say "Navigate to [your destination]" to get on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.
- 2.8-inch touchscreen display (320 x 240 pixels, 262K color depth)
- Onscreen keyboard
- 3.2-megapixel camera/camcorder with up to 2.8x digital zoom and multiple shooting modes
- Digital media player compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files plus MPEG4 and H.264/H.263 video formats.
- FM radio
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.0) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Tethering and mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot capabilities enable you to share your phone's connection to the T-Mobile 3G network with other devices, such as a laptop or tablet (additional charges applicable).
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Access to popular instant messaging services
- Access to personal and work e-mail (supports Microsoft Exchange corporate e-mail)
- HTML Web browser
- Organizer tools including calendar, voice memo, calculator, and alarm
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- USB connectivity with mass storage and charging capabilities
- 3.5mm headset/headphone jack
- TTY capable
The T-Mobile Comet weighs 3.6 ounces and measures 4.1 x 2.2 x 0.5 inches. Its 1200 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 9 hours of talk time, and up to 288 hours (12 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, as well as T-Mobile's 3G network (1700/2100 MHz).
What's in the Box
T-Mobile Comet handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, quick start guide
T-Mobile Pay As You Go Prepaid Service
T-Mobile prepaid plans give you wireless access with less commitment, so you can pay--and talk--as you go. With no annual contract, no credit check, and no monthly bill, prepaid plans are a simple, direct way to go mobile. There are many ways to conveniently refill your T-Mobile Prepaid Plan so that you can stay continually connected with the people who matter most, including using web2go directly from your phone, via the T-Mobile Web site, or using refill cards available at over 90,000 locations nationwide.
With Pay As You Go, you get wireless service exactly how you like it--there's no long-term contract, no credit checks, and no surprises. Add $100 in refills with Pay As You Go and you'll become a Gold Rewards customer, which gets you 15 percent more minutes on all refills and your minutes won't expire for a year after the time you refill.
You can also pay only $1.00 per day for unlimited nights and unlimited nationwide calling to any T-Mobile number. All other domestic calls you make are just 10¢ per minute.
T-Mobile includes the following services with this T-Mobile Pay As You Go phone:
- Nationwide long distance (including calls to Alaska and Hawaii)
- National roaming on the T-Mobile USA network
- t-zones (browsing for HiFi Ringers, MegaTones, wallpapers, and more; not available on all devices)
- VoiceMail, caller ID, call waiting, three-way calling
- Free e-mail address (email@example.com)
Additional services available for additional fees:
- Text messaging ($0.10 to send, $0.5 to receive)
- Picture messaging ($0.25 to send or receive)
- Download ringtones and wallpaper (prices vary)
- Download games and applications (prices vary)
- 411 & More directory assistance ($1.79 per call plus airtime)
- International dialing to over 150 countries (international rates apply)
- Prepaid international roaming rates
To keep your mobile number active, refill within 90 days after your minutes expire. After 90 days, your account will be canceled and you will lose your phone number. If you want to restart service after that time, you will need to activate new service. High-Speed 3G Data Connectivity
In addition to its quad-band GSM connectivity, this phone is also compatible with T-Mobile's UMTS/HSDPA 3G network, which operates on the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum. This phone is designed to automatically connect to the best available network (3G or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide faster data speeds when accessing the Web.
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the via T-Mobile's EDGE network (which stands for "Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution"). This high-speed, mobile data and Internet access technology is fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services (with average data speeds between 75-135Kbps), including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and e-mail on the go. T-Mobile's Expanding, Super-Fast 4G Mobile Broadband Network
As of November, 2010, T-Mobile has upgraded its traditional 3G network to HSPA+ in 75 major metropolitan areas across the U.S., with plans to continue rolling out this network upgrade throughout 2011. With typical download speeds that are on par with or faster than competing 4G technologies, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network provides fast data speeds--up to 3 times faster than AT&T and Verizon's standard 3G networks--while allowing simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the ultimate wireless voice and data experience. You'll enjoy faster Web browsing, uninterrupted video streaming, and quicker app downloads.
T-Mobile's 4G mobile broadband network (powered by HSPA+) provides a theoretical capability of up to 21 Mbps peak download speeds, with average download speeds typically in the 5 to 8 Mbps range.
While this 3G-enabled mobile device doesn't offer HSPA+ compatibility, it can benefit from enhanced speeds when connecting to the HSPA+ network today.