5.0 out of 5 stars This phone is the "Bomb"!
Before purchasing this phone, I checked out the iphone and Evo. The Evo didn't turn me on that much. The iphone, although the look and feel is "quality" at the highest, in my opinion, performance lacks. The main reason for me to purchase a cell phone was(is)to have the option to purchase stocks when I'm away from my home computers. Since 4g is not offered here in Florida,...
Published on December 2, 2010 by Les

3.0 out of 5 stars The devil is in the details
I purchased this phone with a 2 year contract, so I really wanted to love it. Unfortunately, I have some issues with it. I rated this item based on the attributes of the phone itself, not T-Mobile's service, and not the Android operating system. But as you need both of these to use the phone I'll include them in my review. I use the phone in a variety of ways...
Published on January 12, 2011 by J. Toms

3.0 out of 5 stars Gingerbread? Camera?, December 2, 2011
King Slav (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T-Mobile myTouch 4G Android Phone, Black (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
As a phone this model is more than adequate. As a camera it is a big disappointment with poor contrast, washed out images and very poor low-light qualities.

Don't bother with this phone (released in November 2010) if you are uncomfortable with the now outdated Froyo version of the android OS. After 13 months on the market and over 6 months of T-mobile promises, the Gingerbread OS update remains elusive for the vast majority of users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone., November 11, 2011
I got the MyTouch 4g after my MyTouch 3g was lost in a car accident (somewhere out on Interstate 71 my poor 3g sits in pieces after being flung from my car). Originally I was a little disappointed; my 4g does not have a keyboard (although now they do make a MT 4g with a keyboard) and I did not like the battery cover design. HOWEVER I love this phone.

Battery life: A lot of people complain about the battery life however I have noticed I get 30+ hours with light usage (meaning checking mail four or five times a day, a few dozen texts, and roughly sixty minutes of talking), 15+ hours with medium usage, and 8+ hours with heavy usage.

Camera: I love the camera on this thing. I also had to buy a new camera to replace mine lost in the crash but I use the camera on my phone more. The quality of the pictures is surprisingly nice, it's really easy to use and super simple to upload to facebook/twitter or add on to a text.

Texting: Uh, I text all the time. A couple hundred texts a day at least. The only times my phone has trouble sending or receiving texts is when I'm suffering from spotty coverage, which usually only happens when I'm out in the mountains of North Carolina or West Virginia. Type touch keyboard is pretty easy to use once you get used to it. I love the amount of texts you can store as well. When I had the sidekick I could only store 100 texts and that just sucked.

Internet: I spend a lot of my time travelling to rural areas so I don't always get the reception needed for internet, however in my home town I get fantastic internet on this thing. Pages load fast and look great on the screen. I usually don't bother using mobile friendly pages because it's not needed. Admittedly if you have two bars or less your internet might be slower and videos will be a pain to load, but with decent reception I haven't had a problem. I've noticed a lot of people blaming the phone for what I truly think are just reception issues, some areas just don't get coverage as well as others. I've also noticed that moving at high speeds (like on the interstate or on a train) can slow down your loading times.

Mobile WiFi: I love, love, love this feature. I spend a lot of time travelling, like I said, so I'm not always in a place with reliable wifi. Also I don't always like using public wifi when working on more delicate things. With the Hotspot I can make my own password protected wifi network. I can even share it with a couple friends when I need to.

Music: My iPod touch also got destroyed in the crash so I decided to try loading music on my phone until I could afford a new one. The sound quality is great and the interface for the media lab is really easy to use. The only problem is that listening to music on your phone will burn through the battery pretty quickly. Expect 7 maybe 8 hours if you are listening to music the entire time. However the phone does really well with playing music and then using the internet or other apps.

Maps: I use my phone for a gps too, and it's actually pretty crappy for that. It's just not very accurate about where you are. The directions you get street by street are fine but if you're looking at the map it will tell you you are anywhere within like 500 meters of where you are, and on city streets that's annoyingly inaccurate. I mostly use it when I know my starting point and ending point.

Apps: All my apps run great. Some of the bigger ones are slow to download or update but they run fine. I use apps for banking, gaming, reviews, organization, etc. I love the wide selection available, especially of free apps.

SD Card: It comes with an 8 gb microsd card. I upgraded to 16 so I could store more music.

Tips to extend battery life: Turn off automatic updating. This means you'll have to manually choose to Dl your emails and facebook updates and weather, etc. but it really helps to extend battery life.

If anyone has anymore questions about the phone feel free to leave a comment and I will reply!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Phone, April 19, 2011
I was a longtime blackberry user for years. I had some sad thoughts on ditching my beloved blackberry but it was just time. After doing a lot of research I was going to switch over to the Galaxy S 4g. I went to the t-mobile store to play with it and on a whim I tried this one. I was blown away by the speed of it. The 4g (or hspa) is so fast I can't even describe it. The phone just feels great in the hand and feels very heavy and well built. I was a little hesitant about the keyboard but you have three options. Swype which is awesome, you just swipe the letters, Dragon Diction where you just talk and you would be amazed how well it works, and the normal keyboard. I use the normal keyboard. It figures out the words you use most and predicts them and you can get very fast. I was very skeptical about typing long e-mails on a touch screen and I was super fast on my BB but I think I might be even quicker on this one. Plus it has an old type writer sound which is fun.

If you are already a gmail user you will love it even more since it syncs your contacts and calendar directly from google. Overall I would say this is an awesome phone. The one big con is the battery. Wow. The battery life is terrible. As long as you have a car charger near by or a separate charger at work you will be fine. Also the mobile tethering is amazing. I guess you can pay t-mobile 15 dollars extra for this service (but I haven't shhhhhhhhh) and your phone turns into a wi-fi hotspot and it works flawlessly! I was watching movies online on my ipad so fast. I even cancelled my AT&T 3G plan because you can surf the web through the phone so much faster than on AT&Ts network.

I can't really say enough good things about this phone. I could spend 3 pages telling you about everything this can do. To think this came out almost 6 months ago is even more amazing.

Pros
Blazing Fast Speed
Android
Very customizable
Wi-Fi Hot Spot
Keyboard
Screen
Camera
720P Video Recording
etc.

Cons
Battery is terrible

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone with some major issues, June 27, 2011
I bought this phone in March 2011 after 10 years of using various Blackberries (which I liked very much). I wanted to be able to send/receive emails, texts, as well as make voice phone calls. I really like the solid, well-made feel to the phone, the ability to use most (not all) apps in landscape or portrait orientation, the very crisp and bright screen, the ability to use Google Maps with traffic updates (when it works), the camera, and the soft keyboard (yes, I've adapted from the Blackberry keyboard). I also found that I could move lots of songs from my iTunes library easily to this phone (one less gadget to carry).

But, this phone has the following problems for me:
- can't sync my contacts and calendar with my Outlook 2010 on my personal computer (not running Microsoft Exchange Server). Research seems to indicate that T-Mobile deliberately eliminated this standard Android feature in favor of forcing you to use Google calendar and contact management. As Google's products in this area are still significantly less useful than Microsoft Outlook, I find this mystifying. Why not let each customer decide on whether to sync with Outlook or Google? T-Mobile's marketing is less than clear in this area - many of their reps do not know that this doesn't work and tell customers that they can sync to Outlook. So I have to enter events and contacts on both the phone and my computer.

- can't change the font size on any of the apps (except the internet browser). On-line research seems to indicate that this is a known problem; only solution seems to be to root the phone and use some third party app. Not acceptable - I could change font size at will on my old fashioned Blackberry. I don't want to root the phone.

- speaker phone volume is abysmal. Makes video chatting useless without a separate headset.

- standard news widget stopped updating 3 weeks after I got the phone. T-Mobile tech support could not resolve the problem without wiping the phone. I replaced it with a third party newsreader app that is still working (in teeny font).

- standard stock market widget defaults to May 31, 2011 instead of to the current date. If you mess with it, you can force it to update to the current date but who has the time? And, the next time you look, it's back to May 31st. The data should be pushed without my intervention.

- lack of a to-do list widget. Should be standard. Yes, the Android market has several possible apps but when I saw the permissions/privileges they want, I declined. Why should a to-do list need access to the internet or my contact list?

I also have noticed that the battery doesn't last nearly as long as my Blackberry but I don't expect it to. The screen is orders of magnitude bigger, crisper, and brighter - can't expect that it won't require more power. Keep a cable for charging in the car and my briefcase.

So, in summary, the myTouch 4G is a nice hardware platform (except the speakerphone volume) with some big holes in its usability. Not being able to adjust the font and sync to my calendar/contact database are big problems for me. Standard T-mobile apps need more testing before release. A simple software upgrade would make this phone so much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone, bad reception., April 21, 2011
At first I loved this phone - all the features I could want, easy email setup, web browsing with Flash and a nice interface. Over time, however, the problems became apparent. I do not know if it is 4G growing pains, but this phone will completely drop signal for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. This happens on a daily basis, multiple times a day at my work where I have a consistent, full bar connection on 4G. This happens at home more frequently although I average only 2 bars on Edge. What is interesting is that at home, it will fully drop the signal and will go to WiFi calling and once it is in WiFi calling mode it will be at least an hour, if not a couple of hours, before it tries to connect back to the cell signal and this is when the phone is sitting in the area that has the best cell reception in the house; previous phones would only occasionally drop the call but they would never completely lose signal for more than a few minutes. I have tried having the settings with GSM only and with WCDMA only thinking that the phone was just having trouble switching between modes, but the issue still happens. This happens with both of the MyTouch 4G phones purchased. Something seems off about this phone's reception and regardless of how nice the interface is, if you can't make a call then it defeats the purpose of being a phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware, doesn't work with Exchange 2010 - KNOWN ISSUE (both T-Mobile and HTC), February 17, 2011
Nice phone. Good form factor and does most things reasonably well.

But be aware that if your company is on Exchange 2010, this phone does not support it (see the HTC and T-Mobile forums). Not only that, there is NO date on when either company is estimating it will.

I suppose they spent a lot of time making sure that you could do Facebook updates without problems, but at the expense of not testing the phone (or intentionally releasing a defect) for most serious business users.

Worse yet, this is the only 4G Android iPhone type phone that T-Mobile has. The G2 has a slider keyboard.

Also disappointed that the T-Mobile store I upgraded from didn't call this out as an issue, but once I called Customer Care - they knew all about it. Not happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC FTW., December 16, 2010
it's a great phone
blazing fast with 4g.
iPhone 4g doesn't stand a chance against MyTouch 4G.

1.0 out of 5 stars CRAP, May 26, 2011
I have the red my touch and on day 15 after I got it, it started dropping calls. I've called many times and replaced the SIM card three times. This sunday it completely quit working. T mobil is sending me out a USED one but it's back ordered so there is no telling when I will get it and there isn't anything they can do. I wish I would have just kept my old crappy phone, at least it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars MyTouch vs. Iphone, May 17, 2011
Yes, yes, I know Android doesn't offer as many apps. as IPhone and Iphone has a prettier interface, but seriously who needs 50,000 apps? I love the MyTouch's intutive (and attractive) interface and the 8 mega pixel camera. The MyTouch is definately a sturdier phone. I have had 1 MyTouch and my husband has gone through 2 IPhones in the same amount of time.

The case of the phone is thin and light, overall it has a sleek look to it. I like the roller ball mouse, which makes navigating easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive but with a couple of drawbacks..., April 6, 2011
I have been using this phone for a month now, and overall I am quite pleased. How service will change after T-Mobile is under control of ATT remains to be seen. I like the flexibility of the Android system and various applications available for it.

Pros: Large enough screen for full utilization of available apps but not too clunky (like the Droid X); very fast internet speeds via wi-fi or the network; the included Dragon Dictation really works and is incredibly convenient for composing e-mails, taking notes, etc.; the built-in wi-fi hotspot provides an easy way to use the network to connect a laptop or netbook to the internet.

Cons: Battery life is disappointing, even with an automatic task killer installed; the track pad is pretty worthless and just tends to confuse the interface.

ARRAY(0xd8b0389c)