Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on November 5, 2012
I use this on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma short bed. It works very well! The first load I carried with it consisted of a 14" x 16' aluminum plank and (2) 14' ladders. I had somebody follow my loaded truck for safety. I don't know what I would have done without the bed extender. No regrets with this purchase!

One detail that I really like about it is how the horizontal leg is angled upward to give more ground clearance and that the vertical support leg is adjustable up and down which also helps with ground clearance. Having these design features allow the user to raise the load and prevent them from scraping the ground when backing into an inclined driveway surface.

Pro's:
Adjustable vertical support
Reflective safety tape
fits inside short-bed truck box with tailgate closed for transport when not using
orange safety flag included

Con's
The c-channel "goal post" support makes tying down difficult. I realize these c-channel goal post things work well for canoe's. However, I use this bed extender more for construction work purposes. I think having built in tie down points for ratchet straps in lieu of the c-channel goal posts would be a huge improvement.

FYI
Dimensions on 2012 Tacoma Short Bed (factory installed Reese like hitch)
60 inch bed length (tailgate up)
80 inch bed length with tailgate down
115 inches from inside of bed to bed extender support
11 comment40 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
I recently became interested in kayaks, and wondered how I would transport it. I discovered bed extenders, and thought it would work great, because I have 2011 Ford F-150 crew cab short bed (5.5 feet) with a decent size tool box in the bed. I bought a twelve foot kayak, and this bed extender is perfect. It is very heavy duty, and must weigh 30-40 pounds when assembled. However, it breaks down into a few pieces, and you can easily store it in your bed or the cab of your truck (extended cab and crew cab models). With the tailgate down, The kayak extended 2.8 or so feet past the tie down point of the extender. So, even a 10 foot kayak should reach the tie down bar if you have a toolbox in the bed. I want to put about three kayaks in the bed, and I believe it will hold them, if I lay them on their sides, but I'm not sure. I know two kayaks will easily fit.

Some things that distinguish this model from other bed extenders is that this one already has DOT reflective tape on it, it has perpendicular bars (think field goal post in football) that provide extra support on the side of your load so it doesn't fall off, and some of the others don't extend side to side. This one has several width settings, from less than two feet all they way out to almost the width of the bed.

As with the others, it also comes with a red flag for towing during the day. Be sure to put lights on it if you are using it at night. In addition, as with all others I've seen, it doesn't come with a hitch pin, which is no big deal, it is just something to be aware of. Furthermore, you'll see in reviews of others that these bed extenders bounce around. Mine had a little bit of play until I put the kayak on it and affixed bungees to the kayak and support bar itself. It didn't move at all after that.

In conclusion, there are many that will do the job, and I haven't really compared other bed extenders in person, but this has features that most others don't. It is really well made and heavy duty. I can say that you will not be disappointed if you purchase this extender bar.
0Comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
So I haven't had a chance to really use this item for a long trip yet, but I figured I would take a few pics and see how it looked/felt when it arrived (on time!) a few days ago. First impressions: The box it came in was slightly damaged as others mentioned, but nothing was missing, and yes the red flag was included. I put it together first as a bed extender so I could bring my 13.5' kayak up to my house from the creek. As other reviewers have mentioned, most of the parts do fit VERY loosely together. I might spend some time to wrap the tubes with tape or something else to tighten the fit, although it would probably take A LOT of tape to make it snug.

Either way, I proceeded assembling it and loaded my kayak (~60 lbs) on it. I only took the time to secure it with a couple of bungee cords at the back and a couple cam buckle straps in the bed. If I were to go long distance like this I would definitely use ratchet straps.

I drove around for about 5 miles and honestly it handled quite well for not being as strapped down as I would've done it for a longer trip. The weight of the kayak seemed to make the pieces less jiggly. Overall I think it would work as a bed extender quite well, but I am hoping to use it at roof height once I buy a roof rack. I think I would feel better about having my 17' canoe or a couple of kayaks supported on the roof and this device for long hauls. I will provide an update when I test this device out at roof top level. Until then here are a few pics. Notice how the "T" bar extensions sag when fully extended to their 48" width (Rear view Roof Height pic). I will try to improve upon the snugness of the fitting parts, as well as possibly invest in some heavier duty locking pin, although the ones provided probably would do the job.
review image review image review image
11 comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
I bought this hitch extender so I could transport my 32-foot extension ladder (two 16-foot sections) with my extended cab pickup; the bed is only 6 1/2 feet long, or about 8 feet long with the tailgate down, and there was really no way I could safely or properly keep the ladder secure in the bed with more than 8 feet of it sticking out the back past the lowered tailgate. I am very pleased with the product, and thought some dimensions here would help.

First of all, though, it is surprisingly stable going down the road with the ladder resting on it (the ladder is, of course, tied to the support to help it stay put, and I rigged a device out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe to hold it down at the front of the bed with a cord tied to the pickup bed tie-down rings). Secondly, it comes apart and adjusts for different load sizes very quickly and easily. The parts are necessarily heavy, being heavy gauge steel for the most part; any lighter material would either be weaker and therefore unable to handle the same loads, or would be of a metal type that would make it more expensive, so no complaints there. A heavy-duty red flag is included.

The main beam has a slight (upward) bend configured into its design (the beam can actually come apart at the bend with a removable pin) to allow a little more ground clearance at the rear than would be the case if the beam were straight over its entire length. This places the lowest point at the very rear just over 3 inches above the bottom of the beam where it comes out of the receiver (this is relative to the beam itself; depending on the pitch or posture of the vehicle, the beam could be heading upward or downward of ground level coming out of the receiver, the increased clearance at the extreme rear an added benefit in either case).

The extender projects a little over 4 feet to the rear of the hitch receiver, or roughly 52 inches from the receiver hitch pin hole (on my pickup receiver). This places the support 11 1/2 feet to the rear of the front of my pickup bed, so that only about 5 1/2 feet of my 32-foot ladder extends beyond the support; the ladder center-of-gravity is also far enough forward of the support in this arrangement that its own weight helps it stay put (with the "goal post" section adjusted above the level of the tailgate, so that only the forward end of the ladder is resting on the pickup bed at the front and the support holds it up toward the rear).

The vertical post of the "goal post" section has 9 holes at one-inch intervals, for 8 inches of adjustment; this allows the horizontal bar to be adjusted 12 to 20 inches above the level of the hitch receiver opening.

The "goal post" section includes two outer extension pieces that have 11 holes each, again at 1-inch intervals, for overall horizontal or width adjustments from 28 to 48 inches - the slack between the pins and the holes actually allows for about 48 1/4 inches of space between the uprights in their widest settings, so that plywood or drywall sheets can rest on the support within the space between the uprights without damage to edges. The uprights are 10 inches high and have a hole near the top for tie downs.

The hitch as pictured in the product display shows it as a bed extender, although it will also install in the receiver so that the main beam is more or less vertical, by swapping ends of the main beam, to elevate a load at the rear of the vehicle above cab roof level; the "goal post" section goes into the top end of the main beam in this configuration. With the main beam installed vertically, the horizontal bar of the "goal post" can be adjusted to a position 55 to 63 inches above the receiver.

Overall very pleased with the product.
on December 13, 2011
This hitch is a must for the do-it-yourselfer. We bought it for our canoe and it worked perfectly. I liked the adjustable width side brackets. If you use it to be level with the truck bed (as carrying sheets of plywood) you have the advertised extension. I wish the pictures had been a bit clearer. If you use the extender to support an item placed on the cab of your truck and it's at its' higher position, be warned that there are only several inches of clearance between the upright extension support and tailgate. You can't lower the tailgate. This is a heavy duty unit. My only complaint is that we have a flip lid on our truck bed and wanted to put the canoe on that and use the extension at that height. You couldn't. We are going to try and get a piece made so we can use it at that level which would make it even more versatile. Maybe the new ones in the future will beable to do this.
33 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2015
I use this all the time for 14' kayaks. Usually out the bed but also over the front end with a partial roof rack and a front receiver. Very useful when towing a fifth wheel. It was a little wobbly due to the gap between the inner and outer walls where the "T" is inserted. I taped some flat washers to the "T" to just barely fit inside the extension and it works perfectly. Great price too.
review image
on August 1, 2012
love this thing. it lets me load and unload my little 12 ft 3 person boat by my self with ease. very durable and strong. i give it 10 out of 10. its a must buy for small, trailerless boats.
on December 7, 2011
This replaced a similar rack that was melted in the Bastrop wildfire. This product was less expensive and heavier duty than the previous. I use it for carrying canoe and kayak usually. I recently used it to haul a load of lumber and it really out-performed the previous one.
on April 23, 2015
This replaces a different model. Like the upraised arms for loading kayak at lake. They help guide the wet kayak into bed. Also the extender bottom arm bends upward enough to reduce the ramp ground bumps of my previous one.
review image
on October 21, 2015
Bed extender works great for my needs. I have a short bed F150 (5.5 bed) so this product is what I needed for carrying my 15.6' Old Town Saranac canoe. It provides the extra support (and peace of mind). It's very easy to install and remove. Heavy duty steel components that should last a life time. Great product.
review image review image review image