Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: T-fal BF6138 Balanced Living 4-Cup 1750-Watt Electric Kettle with Variable Temperature and Auto Shut Off, 1-Liter, Black
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 4, 2012
This is a wonderful small kettle. It heats water up faster than I thought possible. Don't bother walking away to do anything else, as your water will be ready in a flash. I haven't timed it yet, but it is so much faster than a microwave. The three temperature settings are a useful feature. Inside is a metal bottom and the surrounding wall is plastic. I do not know if it is the safe plastic. I looked all over the packaging and inside the booklet to see if it was. There was no information regarding this. It is easy to take off of the base. I like that the electric cord can wind up inside the base, so you only use what cord you need. It shuts off automatically when the desired temperature is reached.

There is only ONE negative feature that I can think of. The level indicator is hard to see. I have to wipe the inside after using if I want to use it again immediately because the condensation makes the "hard" to see water level indicator "impossible" to see. A minor inconvenience, I think.

I would buy this again. It would make a great gift. I have used it for making tea, ramen, and oatmeal thus far. It is so handy to have!

Update: September 21, 2015
I had to stop by and let everyone know this kettle is still going strong. I love this thing! We use it daily.
33 comments| 251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
I'm rating this four stars instead of five only because the adjustable temperature doesn't work for me... the water boils no matter what setting I use. If you need this feature, look elsewhere.

However, as a basic water heater, it is excellent. It is quick to heat the water, the auto shut-off works great, and the functionality of the base unit is excellent. The base plugs into the wall, and the kettle turns off when you lift it from the base.

Overall, highly recommended, unless you need the adjustable temperature feature.

*** UPDATE 07/28/2013 ***

I am downgrading this from 4 stars to 3, since the metallic-finish plasticky bottom of the heater keeps shedding its metallic coating, which I can see floating in the water. I have had to rinse it many times, so that too much of this material does not get into my drinks. I would prefer not to drink this stuff, and considered dropping this rating down even further, to 2 stars or even 1, given this occurrence. If this is something that is a big deal to you, I would encourage you to look elsewhere. I did initially buy this because it was one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, adjustable temperature electric water heaters available. However, as I previously mentioned, the variable temperature feature does not work very well anyway. It still heats my water well and has held up, and was very affordable. However, like most of its competitors, it does have its downfalls as well.
1010 comments| 289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
I like this electric kettle a lot. It's plastic so it stays mostly cool to the touch. The heating element is concealed, it has a separate base and it shuts itself off automatically; that's good design. The controls are simple. They are also a kind of apple green color, not yellow as they appeared on my computer screen, and I like the green better. The kettle's not large but I like the one-liter size. I've used it several times a day since receiving it a couple weeks ago and it works like a charm, heating a liter of water in about 3 minutes. The only quirk I've had to adjust to is that it shuts off immediately upon reaching boiling, so if you leave the room you may miss the boiling point.
22 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2015
This electric kettle it great. It has lots of nice little details. First, it looks attractive; the bright green on black really sets it apart. Second, I love that you can adjust the heat. The lowest setting stops at just above boiling. Next, once the water has heated to the desired setting, the little power button above the handle pops into the off position automatically; so if you forget you have it on...no problem! Also, I like how you can see how much water you are putting in the kettle through the clear plastic strips on the side. This is very handy because you don't need a measuring cup when filling it. I think the lid is great too. It latches really securely but it is still easy to open because it is such a large button. Finally, the base is simple to use as well. It turns 360 degrees and you can set the kettle on it correctly without even paying attention; it goes into right into place every time. Bottom line, I wouldn't change a thing about this little kettle!
review image
on December 12, 2015
There is a white sediment floating in the water every time I boil or warm it. I use only filtered water in this kettle and I have no idea where it is coming from. I wash and wipe it after every use, but it still keeps coming back. The metal plate at the bottom could be its possible source. I contacted T-fal customer service via email; it's been a week but still no reply.
review image
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2013
I purchased this item for my 101 year old father. He insisted upon getting up early (pre-dawn) and making tea by heating water in a kettle on the gas stove. We were very concerned about him using a open flame which he cannot see, and handling a metal kettle with boiling water. This was the perfect answer to our problem. He usually has a great deal of trouble learning to use anything new, but had no difficulty with this.
on November 13, 2012
and simple to operate. I measured exactly 1 liter and started out at 68 degrees and achieved a full boil in 3 min and 30 seconds. Likewise, I filled a Pyrex container with the same amount at the same 68 degrees a tried my 1300 watt micro and it took 7 min and 35 seconds. It has a well balanced, thick and cool handle plus an on/off thumb switch at the top of handle. I was looking for the fastest kettle available when I noticed the 1750 watt spec for this one. So I bought this kettle, a 1 liter Zojirushi glass vacuum insulated decanter(the one touch to open model) and the #6 cone holder that fits directly into a Zojirushi or Thermos decanter(works with any size glass insulated decanter). I grind the beans then do a 1 liter pour over for exactly 2-16 ounce mugs HOT for at least 5 hours. Not bad, fill water, heat water, grind beans, pour over cone filling the decanter all in about 5 minutes total. I got it down pat. BTW, if you like Columbian try the Kirkland 3 lb bag. Can you tell that I have to much time on my hands?
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
I looked at them all...........all the temp control kettles from top $ to low $. The customer service rep shared with me that the temp are as follow - left to right - 160, 175, 212. I don't need a "keep warm" option as some do for 1/2 hour. Refill thru the screened filter for better performance. Boils really fast and, really worth the money.
on December 30, 2012
I spent about an hour researching electric kettles, and finally settled on this one. Since I usually use it for 1-2 cups of tea, the small size is fine for me. I like that it had a higher wattage than most of the kettles, so it heats more quickly. Even though made of plastic, it does not have any weird smells or feel cheap at all. The bottom inside is metal, but the heating element is not exposed. It is a great little kettle.
on May 26, 2015
Like many others the On/Off button failed after 4 1/2 months. Very poor button design/quality. Now have to go through the return/fix process. Yuk.

On the positive side, it was a great device until the button stopped working. Would not recommend.