on April 12, 2011
Size Name: 12-Inch
Boy, this is a hard pan to find! Since Amazon.com did not have this item in stock, I contacted T-Fal to see if it was still available and where I might buy it. Here's the reply that I got from T-Fal:

========================================

We received your e-mail via T-falUSA.com, and we thank you for your interest in our products.

T-Fal products are available at many national retail stores. The T-Fal Professional Total Non stick cookware that has been reviewed in Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Report is currently available at Kohl's, Meijer and Shopko as well as their on-line retail web sites. You may also find this item through on line retailers such as amazon.com

Note: Our inventory levels have been low as a result of these reviews. However we do have shipments coming in regularly. With this in mind, retailers may be temporarily out of stock. If possible, you may want to consider per-ordering.

The T-Fal part numbers for this cookware will begin with either E938, E939 or E987.

The cookware has stainless steel base and can be used on all cook tops including an induction cook top

The cookware is available as either a 10 piece set or as individual fry pans in 8", 10.25" or 12.5" sizes.

Please be advised that some retailers may not use the T-Fal part numbers to identify this product but they will use its name. Additionally, we suggest contacting your local retailer for on hand inventory since each store determines their own inventory levels.

If you have additional questions, please call 1-800-395-8325 and provide the consumer service agent with reference number 110228-000256. Representatives are available from 8:30am to 5:30pm EST, Monday thru Friday.

Sincerely,
T-fal Consumer Service

========================================

I ended up buying it from shopko.com since Amazon did not have it in stock. The item that I ordered (and received) is the exact part number that was reviewed by Cook's Illustrated.

All I can say is that Cook's was right. This pan has amazing non-stick properties. I've been using the pan for several months now on a daily basis (I'm on a carb-restricted diet, so I eat fried eggs for breakfast every morning) and the non-stick properties of this pan are simply amazing. No sticking. Clean-up is a breeze. I'm VERY satisfied with this pan and will not hesitate to purchase another when this one wears out (hey, nothing lasts forever).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2010
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
Those who complain that they found this pan model (E9380864) at a lower price elsewhere are confused. They were looking at a different, quite inferior product. This model has been out of stock in stores and internet for months. The other, cheaper model has been mistaken for this one. I know; I bought one of them. The model number was completely different, but I thought it was a replacement. Not so.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2013
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
As many have noted: the pan may actually be the holy grail of non stick but the ego stamped on the bottom makes for a mini mountain in the centre of the pan.

Wheat happens is that you will get a "moat" of oil around the center island of dry in the center of the pan. Nice if you want to make donut shaped crépes I suppose. Not super nice for anything else.

QC so "out of whack" for a top tier vendor like t-fal is inexcusable. Somebody should be fired literally.

Is it too much to ask that the flat bottom of a pan is flat without having to fix it yourself? Yeesh!

The good news: easy to fix. I've used the trick of standing in a pan on carpet to un-mound a dozen pans in then past, and a similar trick worked on this pan.

Then trick: the thick aluminum bottom was more robust than the pans I've fixed in the past so i used a slightly different method:

I formed a donut shape with a rolled up towel and set the pan on it, then I stepped inside and while standing on the ball of my foot I lunged up and down "hopping but keping foot On the ground".

I checked for flatness with a ruler both outside and inside until I was satisfied. In the end, two teaspoons of water with a tiny bit of dish soap to "wet" the surface spread edge to edge, no island. Also 1 1/2 tbsp. of oil once heated filled the bottom of the pan perfectly. (When cold it puddled in the center and stayed).

So, "A" for non stick, "D" for putting a hill in the center of every pan by stamping a logo in without the proper compensation in the blank or the very least a follow up stamp to make the pan flat and some friggin' quality control!

Ok, so after 1-2 minutes of hopping up and down, the hump in the middle went from nearly 1mm tall (about 1/4 the thickness of the metal to put that into perspective) down to about a 0.2mm dent in the bottom and darn near perfectly flat inside. (There are a couple areas maybe 0.1mm shallow inside, enough to take maybe 0.1 tsp of liquid but inconsequential. The fact the bottom still has a shallow when the top is flat means the stamping process (for the logo) is making the metal thinner in the center in addition to making the little hill.

Love the pan and can't wait to get some cooking done and a follow-up if the fix is relatively permanent.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

-awr

update: so i got to try it out, and freakeshly non-stick; was so easy to cook crepes in this pan! especially with the thermo-dot. It turns color just a little too hot for perfect crepes but they were amazing and tasty; and just slid out of the pan!

I ended up having to re-level my stove before i could really test the flattened out fixed copy, but with only 2 tsp of oil to lightly oil the pan (probably not even remotely needed for these crepes), there were just random spots of oil; it doesn't want to adhere to the pan enough to make a coating.

I have a neat picture of 2 tsp of oil just sitting in a puddle in the dead-center of the pan while heating. I also was able to make an 'oil moat' just about 3/8" wide around the entire pan at one point, so there is still a little bit of a 'low spot' or perhaps just the fact there is a bend in the pan gives the oil something to grab onto.

Now if i can only get my wife to stop using metal instruments and get the pan to last a while.

considering it was 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a decent tri-ply pan the same size, this pan in spite of its hiccups is a home-run.

-awr
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2011
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
I was looking to replace a cheap tfal pan I bought at Walmart for about $20. It was light but the heat did not transfer across the entire pan well leaving hot and cool spots. During my search for a new pan I happened to see an episode of the PBS show America's Test Kitchen and low and behold they were testing non-stick fry pans. After I watched all that the pans went through, this one came out on top. So I searched and bought from Amazon. Very happy with it overall. Good weight for me...not to heavy...and it transfers heat well. One thing I might not have noted (it's on the label) except for the show I saw is this manufacturer recommends that you season the pan once with oil before you use it. Just once...you never have to season it again. Never heard of anything like this before but I did it. The show also noted that the non-stick coating is proprietary so the manufacturers wouldn't tell them how the coating was applied but this particular pan was said to have a four coat process where some of the other manufacturers was less. I think if you are interested in seeing the America's test kitchen episode it's probably still available on their website.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2011
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
OK, I love this pan's non stick... the CI review and the amazon people were right... however the one I got has a definite "hump" in the middle. If you put a tbs of oil in it as per a recipe, it all runs to the sides, leaving the middle dry. if you put eggs in it to fry, same thing. I wish I would have returned it, as no one else has had this issue.... so long story short, check it when you get it, and return it if you get a bum one like I did... I would order another and simply check it for this issue...
9494 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2014
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
Asked Amazon for a refund on this lightweight aluminum non-stick pan. As others have mentioned the bottom had a 1/8" concentric convex dome at the bottom of the pan. I had read other reviews which mentioned this but I thought it was probably due to 'pilot error' - Those who use too much heat at start-up and warp most any type pan over time. With this in mind I started with a simple bacon and eggs test. I began with a little bacon grease on very low (Gas) heat and slowly brought the pan up to the point where the 'test pattern' on the gimmicky red ball began to disappear. The bacon grease formed a little moat around the edge of the pan. In any case, with a little repositioning and turning the bacon slowly fried up to a nice golden crisp. A little too much effort for bacon. After about 7 minutes I removed the nicely crisp sticks of bacon wiped the pan nearly dry and then I cracked in a few large eggs in the middle of the pan and watched them slide to the outer edge of the pan. The non-stick surface was perfect (as one would expect from most any new name brand nonstick pan especially with a little residual bacon grease) but, the deformed, uneven bottom was a deal breaker. The three eggs crowded together at the edge of the pan. The next day to give it another chance rather then go through the hassle of sending it back I attempted to sauté a few LIGHTLY breaded fillets of Petrale Sole. For me frying or sautéing delicate fish or fried eggs is the premier use for a nonstick pan. They are my 'go-to' pans for fall-apart fish and egg based dishes such as frittata's and Spanish Tortillas. I began with about 2 tablespoons of the aforementioned bacon drippings in a cleaned pan that I slowly brought up to medium high heat. I watched the grease head toward the edge of the pan while the center with the gimmicky red 'Bulls eye' remained high and dry. The edges of the fillets bathed in pooled oil while the rest of the fish became parched and dry rather than a nice golden brown like on the edges. I might as well have microwaved them for the dry parched look and texture. If you were sautéing any food with small amounts of liquids they will all end up on the edge of the pan and that means uneven cooking. If I were on a totally oil-free regime I would still reject this pan in favor of others (Caphalon, Analon, or Cuisinart to mention a few) that have a good 'healthy' non-stick surface and cook whatever you're cooking evenly and consistently without juggling the food to accommodate the design or manufacturing flaws of this moderately flimsy pan. I think ATK should consider re-testing this pan for a revised recommendation. The red 'Bulls eye' should be left for the shooting range. It's about as useful a gimmick as those "Turkey temperature buttons".

UPDATE 7/24/14:
Amazon's Return Service is the best on the planet. They processed the return arranging for no-charge UPS pickup faster than any company I have ever dealt with- From my home!= Total time was a few days. Their phone contact customer service is mega-fast as far as returning your call. You asked to be contacted immediately and your phone is ringing when you hang up! The person on the other end is friendly and fluent getting to the point of customer satisfaction quickly. Amazon does not need Drone Deliveries. They have already beat the competition with Prime Membership. The bowed pan is in the box on the front porch and will disappear in a day or two and the charges reconciled. Perfect 'Bad Product' transaction. Shame on America's Test Kitchen for not updating their reviews. As a disclaimer, although I did not see or read the specific review others have relied upon, I have a feeling they did not have an uneven domed pan when they did the 'Test' X years ago? If they did, I'd like to hear or see the specific rationale for endorsing a pan with so serious a design or manufacturing flaw.
UPDATE 7/29/2014:
Last review on this -I promise- After hunting for a replacement to the disappointing Tfal domed pan I ordered and just received a 12" TeChef Color Nonstick Pan on Amazon. ATK and all the positive reviews aside, this Korean manufactured pan (Besides being flat) beats the Tfal in so many ways. It's not much more ($30) but it has a great PFOA Free surface that works great. It is better looking as well. I also bought a 12" Techef lid because it had such a great design( check it out on Amazon) and if it worked out as I was hoping I was planning to buy a matching 12" Techef nonstick wok...It did. For those who say the Tfal is the go-to in the bargain price range-move over! Check out the reviews on these nonstick products on Amazon and get a much superior pan for a few bucks more. As far as longevity they all unfortunately lose their magic surface as time goes by and I suspect this won't be any different. Time will tell.... PS: I do not work for Techef they simply had a better pan for me and I'm guessing most would agree after comparing the two pans.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2011
Size Name: 8-InchVerified Purchase
This is the second T-Fal professional fry pan that I've bought. I first bought the 12.5 inch one and loved it so much I ordered this smaller one. It is simply the best non-stick skillet of any brand that I've ever come across! I can't praise it enough. Keep up the good work, T-Fal!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2011
Size Name: 8-InchVerified Purchase
I bought this on Cooks Magazines recomendation. They said it was better than their All Clad! So... I needed one, and to my amazement, it is better than any other nonstick pan I've ever had!
on April 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a great buy. The non-stick surface is tough and slick. The steel bottom is thicker than other pans in its class - ensuring even heating. The silicone handle is very comfortable and can be put directly in a medium heat oven. A caution note: the TFal "Pro" line is different from the "Professional" line - get the Professional line.
on September 17, 2010
Size Name: 12-InchVerified Purchase
No point going overboard, but this is a very, very good nonstick pan. Solid, very nonstick, easy to handle, quite durable. A very good value.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations