T1i with 100mm IS macro? I am about to purchase a Canon T1i and was wondering if the 100mm IS macro would be a good all around lens for wildlife as well as portraits, candid pictures of children, family. I would like something with IS and a nice bokeh, but don't know if this is the right lens to go with the T1i. Any help is appreciated.
asked by Nurse Mom on March 5, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
I would not consider the 100 macro a good all around lens. It's a prime lens, not a zoom, so it may not be the right focal length for a variety of people pictures. It would be good as a portrait lens, where you can set up the shot, but not for framing more candid pictures. it's also a bit short for a wildlife photography.

The 55-250 is would be a better all around telephoto lens, if you don't already have something. Not quite up to the 100 macro optically, but more versatile becauce of being a zoom.
Ron Hartman answered on March 10, 2010
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have both. The 100mm is wonderful as a macro lens and a portrait lens, but it is not an all-around lens.
Dave Millman answered on May 12, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
28-135mm would be a better walk around lens. Or a 24-105mm f4L if you have the budget for it.
NJD answered on November 11, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The 100mm IS is a great lens, but not a good all round lens. I have tried it on my 500D (T1i) as well as my 7D, and it works very well on both. You might want to consider a EF-S 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, which is basically the cropped sensor equivalent of the EF 24-105 F4L.
Robin Barnard answered on March 7, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have the 50mm 1.4 canon lens and love it, but for all around portrait etc. I like using my Canon 24-70 2.8. It is a great lens for everything and I know alot of wedding photographers that use it.
C. Schmid answered on January 23, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Feb 9, 2011 12:31:09 PM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product