5.0 out of 5 stars Great TAG Heuer for the money
Published on August 20, 2011 by Ben

2.0 out of 5 stars nice form, poor function
Published on August 5, 2012 by dleehamp

2.0 out of 5 stars nice form, poor function, August 5, 2012
This review is from: TAG Heuer Men's WAP2010.BA0830 Aquaracer Calibre 5 Automatic Black Dial Watch (Watch)
Overall disappointed in this watch. The positive is that it is a very attractive watch. Its the perfect size and weight. Its not too flashy with lots of buttons and a busy bezel ring like some watches in this category. It also looks equally good when worn with a suit or jeans. The black face and brushed stainless steel finish is understated and stylish. The watch looks much better in person than in photos. In fact, the appearance was the ultimate reason for the purchase. I had done some research and found that most of the automatic watches in this price range all used similar movements, so my rationale was that I should pick the watch that looked the best to me assuming that function would be about the same. I also assumed that with a respected company like Tag, quality control would not be a problem. I was mistaken. First complaint is relatively minor, and that is that the lumen markings are practically worthless. You cannot see the hands of this watch in low light. You can walk into a movie theater from bright sunlight, and within 15 minutes there is no more illumination on the lumen markings. Second complaint, it does a poor job of maintaining its reserve. Fully wound, and worn all day, it will still stop after sitting for only 12 hours. Third complaint, it keeps poor time. The watch will gain approximately 40 seconds per day. Finally, my biggest complaint and the biggest problem is the stem. I had read in other reviews that the stem is susceptible to stripping if one is not careful. As a result, I was very careful every time I screwed back the stem (which unfortunately was more often than I would have liked since the watch would frequently stop and had to be set and wound when I would wake up in the morning- see 2nd complaint above). But alas, after owning the watch for just 8 months, the stem is now stripped and it will not fully recess and seal. The functional problems of this watch are unacceptable and reflect poorly on Tag Heuer. I had read some poor reviews on Tag products before buying this watch, but I attributed many of them to the watch snobs out there who seem to have it out for Tag. But, in the end they were right. Tag makes a poor product and it seems they are all about marketing and image over quality. If I had to make the decision over again, I would have paid more money and bought the Omega Sea Master. It was my second choice and an equally attractive watch. But I went with the lower price Tag and now regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TAG Heuer for the money, August 20, 2011
Just got this watch and it is my second TAG after having my previous one stolen. Very clean lines, simple, yet sophisticated watch that will look good in the corporate board room or law firm yet not out of place in more casual environments. Watch "feels" right on the the wrist, not a light timepiece but it gives you the sense of quality that you would expect from a MSRP $2100.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Quartz not the Automatic, November 30, 2012
Extremely attractive watch. I've had it for 6 months now. Initially, I could wear the watch all week, not wear it over the weekend, and put it back on on Monday and it would still have reserve. Now, It can be fully wound, and it will only hold its reserve for 3-4 hours after taking it off. Had this issue manifested itself within the 30 day return period, I would have gladly exchanged it for the Quartz ( a less expense alternative, that requires battery replacement once every 2-3 years at most). However, given the problem with the automatic didn't manifest itself until over 3 months after purchase, I'm now stuck with a very attractive watch, that I have to reset each morning. I might as well have bought a wind up watch. I plan to attempt to have the watch serviced to see if it can be "reapaired" but I suspect I've been hoodwinked.

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic automatic for every day use, March 28, 2011
I just bought this watch although not from amazon. I decided to purchase in store. They gave me an extra year on top of the tag 2 year warranty. I paid about 1350 for the watch.
I've had the watch for about 2 weeks and so far it's fantastic.
It gains about 8 seconds a day which isn't too bad considering the advantages of the watch.
The watch is super versatile. You can wear it with a suit and tie or you can wear it with a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. So this is a perfect everyday watch.
The watch is absolutely gorgeous. The watch face is a slate color but has in it a set of horizontal lines which make for a very clean look.
The bracelet also has the push button clasp which is nice.
And the all stainless look on the bezel is absolutely clean.
They also increased the size of this watch to 41mm so it's on the larger size but by no means too large.
The look of the watch very much reminds me of the omega seamaster but cleaner.
Overall a great everyday watch which will work for almost any occassion.
And the fact is that the price is on the low end of Tag's line. So this may be the best watch for the money that Tag makes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A looker with initial reliability issues, August 14, 2014
On August 3, 2011, I received this exact watch from an authorized dealer to commemorate our 10 year anniversary. With an automatic calibre 5 movement, it was sure to reliably last a lifetime. However, this watch has been nothing but problems from the beginning.

Pros:
- The watch looks good on the wrist, and I enjoy automatic movements
- Scratch proof/resistant sapphire crystal
- The watch is serviceable
- The crown smoothly screws down
- The date changes immediately at midnight (within 1-2 minutes +/-)
- Relatively inexpensive for a higher end watch (I still think it was too expensive at the $1700 I paid for it in 2011. Current msrp is shy of $3k). Expect to pay $8k+ for a rolex or other high end diver

Cons:
- The lume doesn't seem to be very strong or last very long on this model
- Poor reliability; see below:

Service trip 1: After 2 months of wearing it, the stem spring broke, and the crown would not go into the winding position. Off to Tag Heuer; $100 (AD covered the other $100) and 8 weeks later, I had my watch back on the wrist. I wrote this off as a fluke, and continued to wear my watch.

Service trip 2: After another 5-6 months of wearing it, I began working other watches into my rotation. Instead of completely reseting the movement, I would hand wind the movement so it would keep on going as I wore my other timepieces. I noticed that as I wound it up, that the movement would bind and not wind. I went back to the shop and sent the watch back to Tag Heuer. It took another 8 weeks to get my watch back. This time, it wound as expected. I continued to wear the watch, but noticed that the accuracy would drift from about +10 seconds/day, down to -10 seconds a day after a couple of months of wearing it. I figured that the movement was just settling in after the service and needed to be regulated. I found a Tag Heuer service center/watchmaker in the state, and brought it in.

Service trip 3: I brought it into the watchmaker for a regulation, and got a call the next day. He explained that the movement was acting so erratically that it could not reliably be regulated. The movement on my 1 year old Tag had to be rebuilt. Again, it was sent off to Tag Heuer for a complete overhaul. 8 weeks later, I got the watch back and it was working smoothly. I again noticed that the time was drifting slowly from +6 seconds/day to -10 seconds/day, so I brought it back for a regulation.

Service trip 4: It was regulated from -10 seconds/day to +2 seconds/day, and the watchmaker stated that the watch was performing beautifully. I continued to wear the watch, and after a few months, it has seemingly stopped drifting down at -2 seconds/day. For the last year or so, it has been performing well, save for the clasp that completely wore paper thin on one corner. This is because I constantly have my hands on a counter as I work.

Potential service trip 5: I noticed last night that the watch was noticeably louder as it wound automatically. I gently shook the watch in a motion that would isolate the rotor from spinning (up and down holding the watch completely flat/level). I noticed that it made a clicking/clunking sound, and feels like the the rotor is hitting something on the inside of the watch. Perhaps the bearings are worn out. The watch is now 3 years old, and has spent cumulatively more than 1 year in the shop. With the rotation of some of my other watches, this watch probably has about 1 to 1.5 years of wrist time cumulatively. I suspect that this might cost me in the neighborhood of $3-400 to fix (overhaul), but I have not yet decided if I will bring it in...again.

UPDATE:
I consulted a watchmaker and discovered that the sounds are normal, and most likely due to the anti-shock system for the automatic movement. I carefully examined a Tissot I have that has an ETA 2824-2 movement in it, and it makes the same noise.

Summary:
I think that Tag Heuer nailed the aesthetics on this watch perfectly. I absolutely love the way the watch looks, and feels on the wrist. It's not too light, and it's not too heavy either. However with regards to the reliability of this watch, I have to say that it has been a hit or miss affair. It seems that once the initial kinks were worked out, the watch should (hopefully) give many years of reliable and faithful service. I will update as time goes by.

Would I buy this watch again?...probably not. I like the watch itself and I feel extremely fortunate that the initial services were handled mainly by Tag under warranty, but I can't justify having to service new watch in the manner that mine was. Since the first 4 services, it's been winding well, keeping fairly good time and power reserve, but I'm at my wits end with the watch just given it's service history.

If you buy this watch, just make sure you have a good watchmaker in the area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, January 15, 2014
I got the watch as a Christmas present from my wife. I vastly prefer automatic movements over Quartz, and the look of this watch is just perfect - solidly built, not so enormous as to be silly, easy to read, etc. So far absolutely no issues with timekeeping accuracy and the power reserve is lasting at least 24 hours. I'll report back more in 6 months to see if its still as great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level Tag, September 20, 2014
James E. Mora "James Mora" (Auburn, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
For the price point this is a nice watch. I have a few 2 Tags and a vintage Heuer. This was the first "luxury" watch i ever bought a few years ago and have been quite please with it overall. Within a year of having it, there was a crown issue that was fixed by tag and has since no longer been an issue. After having this watch 3 years it still only loses about 4-6 seconds a week. This is in stark contrast to my Carrera calibre 6 Heritage which has had a lot of issues keeping good time while costing almost 2K more (currently with Tag being fixed a second time). The weight is nice, not too heavy, not too light. The size of the case, unlike a lot of diving watches, isn't so big that a smaller framed guy like myself looks goofy wearing it. Taking off the 1 star due to the crown issue early on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch, January 6, 2013
Excellent watch. I had an Omega Seamaster with Coaxial movement and this watch keeps much better time and is better looking. Not to mention the price for a brand new watch is unbeatable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, absolutely love it!, June 8, 2014
I've owned this watch for about 2 months now and love it. I've owned numerous other TAG's, Movado's and an Omega Seamaster James Bond Edition so I am able to compare this watch to quote a few others.

The size of this watch is perfect. The quartz TAG's are usually 39mm and I always thought they looked to small on my wrist. I had a Movado Vizio Automatic that was 45mm and after a while the sheer size of the watch actually became an annoyance, so I have found that I like the 41mm size very much.

Quality wise, this watch is far superior to the other TAG's I've had. The Movado was built pretty well, but I think this watch still feels more solid. The Omega on the other hand definitely matches this watch in quality, in fact it was a fantastic watch and was built like a tank. Even the clasp was rock solid. This TAG is very close in quality though, even if the Omega did feel slightly better.

I ended up going with the TAG over the Omega because the Omega was a quartz model (although even being quartz it was still 41mm) and I thought it looked outdated. The TAG has an updated style, has a good quality feel to it, and is an automatic, which I prefer to the quartz.

There is one downside to this watch, the polished surfaces of the bezel do scratch pretty easy. I am pretty careful but it is my daily watch and I have noticed it does pick up scratches on the bezel easier than I had expected.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Buy, September 24, 2013
This is my second Tag Heuer watch. First one was quartz and loved it, no complaints. However it was stolen. I wanted the same style but also wanted to try out the automatic. The watch is beautiful however the crown has an issue. After about a year, has stripped and won't lock down anymore. If you read reviews, this is very common. Because of this, the product is extremely disappointing for the price. Honestly a piece of junk. I could have bought a Timex and it would've been more reliable. I called TH and they were very unhelpful and hid behind their warranty policy. In fact, this problem wouldn't even be covered they said because it is external. For these reasons despite how good they look, I will never buy a TH watch again. Quality watches at this price should NOT do this. Rolex here I come.