Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• Customer Reviews

on December 25, 2012
used the product to record a live event
it can take up to a 32gig MCSD which will record longer in the top quality than you have battery life like 10 hours or more if needed I used a 16gig micro SD and had all the room I could want it takes batteries so you can start new if desired or use rechargeable if desired [two AA] suppose to last 8 10 hours or so
it was easy to set up and the built in mics had minimal added distortion
the sound at the end was fantastic
the only drawback was I had it set to PEAK limiter but the peak light came on multiple times any way so there might have been some clipping all though I couldn't tell at playback this was a very loud venue so maybe it couldn't scale back enough or I am not properly setting it up. otherwise it can be set and forget ...turn it on walk away and let it do it's magic !
if I could have prevented it from peaking the signal I would have given it 5 stars
as is I am more than satisfied and think 4 1/2 stars is more like it
I just screwed it into a mini tripod and set it on stage turned it on with new batteries and I could devote my time on the video part of my shoot enough of a challenge as is. now the challenge of syncing the audio to video is upon me but at least i don't have to rely on the crappy audio out of the video camera which was the point !!
I would give this a good recommendation for sure
on May 3, 2015
Some reviewers said they would use this recorder for lectures, conferences or meetings. In testing this device, I found the playback volume inadequate for hearing recorded speech, even with the input turned all the way up and playing back with strong PC speakers. I had bought this as back up for recording focus groups with the TASCAM DR-40. The device may work to record your own music, and possibly for an interview if you're sitting close to someone. But it will not pick up all voices in a meeting with people who don't project their voices really well.
on September 8, 2015
I was very disappointed with this product; I feel that it was not advertised correctly. The directions with it were alright for the first 3 pages, but then became very complicated, I felt that I needed to be the leader of a 15 piece band, doing playbacks/loops, and many complicated adjustments. All I wanted was a recorder for some instruments that I play, and these directions were impossible. I returned the product after 30 minutes of effort.
on December 27, 2013
I have a Canon VIXIA HF200. When I upload to youtube, the sound quality is OK with the attenuation in VIXIA HF200 being on, but the details are gone. When I turn off the attenuation,it overloads easily. Then friends said Zoom H4N digital recorder would help. After some studies, I found Zoom H4N is an overkill. However, Tascam DR-05 meets my needs better. So I got one.

If you listen through earphone, you can tell Tascam DR-05 sound track is pretty clean, with nice tone and a lot of details

Here is the clip taken by Canon VIXIA HF200

Tascam DR-05 sound track 48kHZ/24-bit

manual level control at 6 format:WAV

uploaded file:WMV created by Movie Maker in Windows 7
on May 30, 2015
My brother in law had to work several hours setting various sections before it would record. When I recorded something I could barely hear the recording thru itself and when i tried to attach to my computer the computer didn't even acknowledge the it was attached. So wouldn't recommend this product at all!!
S J Hawkins
on April 27, 2013
I bought this little gadget to record my clients'family stories. After 1-2 hours of reading the manual and making trial recordings, I figured out what I needed to know. I think it's wonderful. Great sound, very sensitive and natural sounding. And you CAN playback using built in speaker and hear what you have recorded - I'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about.

But I should say that I could not hear a thing through that inbuilt speaker or when trying to play the file after downloading to my computer, until I learned how to adjust the Input Level (pg 48 & 49 of manual). When I followed the direction, and manually adjusted the input level while the recorder was in Record Standby (push record button once) so the sound indicator bars moved to and fro at about the wedge mark, and moving level downwards until the peak light stopped coming on, the sound was adjusted perfectly each time. (and so was the output sound level of the built in speaker when I played the recording back on the Tascam.) After adjusting Input level during Record Standby mode, then hit Record again and start actual recording.

I love it - makes me feel technically competent and recordings sound great.
on October 23, 2015
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a little find with you. If you purchased this portable recorder, you're probably flummoxed at the lack of protective cases available for it. There's one lousy neoprene sleeve that's allegedly made for it, that obviously wasn't because it's much too big and since it's just a sleeve you run the risk of your device falling out and being destroyed. However, I accidentally found what seems to be the perfect case for this recorder. I ordered an Ili eyeglasses holder for my computer glasses and just happened to try it out with this and it was perfecto! So I ordered another in a different color just for this. It even has a back pocket that can be used to store the cable or batteries and is padded for protection. I attached a photo so you can see. and inserted the product link. Hope this helps :o)ILI Women's Leather Striped Eyeglass Holder Case,One Size,Brown/ Black
review image
on December 14, 2012
i chose this over the zoom h1. after reading several reviews of both items and found them to be almost the same from a review point of view, i chose the Tascam. this was purely based on the fact that i am familiar with the tascam name as opposed to the zoom name.

the unit is boxed well, comes with a usb cable and batteries. it was straight forward to use right out of the box. after going through the manual, the more advanced features made sense. i will not go in to details of the unit features since the manual can be found online as a pdf. as someone else said in a review; READ THE MANUAL.

despite what you may read from some of the other reviews, i found it to be user friendly. the sound capturing using the built in microphones is amazing. it does a good job of sound capture. even using an external mic it works very well, but be cautioned, you must adjust the rec levels for external mic use.

the internal speaker is very poor and wasnt expected to be anything more than what it is. but using headphones solves this problem. the unit may have been a little smaller, but i am not sure why some one would want that. compact size is nice, but too small becomes counter productive.

for the price, this unit is well made, does a good job, and sounds very nice. highly recommended.
on October 7, 2011
I bought this device to record bands in small venues and it has so far done a great job. There are a few functions that could be easier to figure out but for the most part it's doind the job I expected it to do. It comes with every thing you need to get started and the combination of the on-screen prompts and the user manual made it pretty easy to begin recording right away. I'm still learing how to use all the level set features but considering how easily the rest of the functions came to me I'm sure that soon I'll have this mastered. Transferring to a computer for file manipulation is a snap either with the included memory card or the usb cable. One improvement I would suggest is including some kind of audio software. I happened to have a couple of pretty good ones already on my PC but if I were an absolute beginner I might have had trouble getting started going from the recorder to a usable audio file.
All in all it's what I needed for a pretty decent price.
on May 13, 2013
I got this for recording the worship and sermon at my church (for a temporary setup at a new location; we want to set up a computer for recording with Audacity, since a standalone recorder gives only so much information/option at the time of recording). It's worked well so far, mostly; I can't tell any quality difference (either on my ears or on Audacity when imported) between Tascam DR-05 and recording into computer directly with a USB soundcard.

A couple things I had to watch out for: as other reviewers mention, the line-in is rather hot---any output from the soundboard above 0dB gets clipped off (using the lowest input level on DR-05). Also, when I recorded through a mono output, the level maxed out at about -6dB, rather than 0dB (so the sound got clipped, but there was no peak warning, etc. at the time of recording).

One feature I like is the pre-recording option---I put the unit in the standby mode (press the record button once), and when I hear the service start, then I start the recording; since the pre-recording captures a few seconds before I press the record button a second time, I don't have to worry about cutting off the first few words (or recording a long silence before service starts).