Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TASCAM US-2000 16-in, 4-out USB 2.0 Audio Interface
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 28, 2011
I purchased the US2000 in October to replace a tempermental Presonus FP10 which was giving firewire issues that ultimately led to a computer crash and loss of recorded concert material. The USB 2.0 of the US2000 operates at essentially the same speed of the firewire and has been rock-solid when plugged in. Tascam does warn to use no other USB devices aside from possibly a mouse when the unit is plugged in. The US2000 can simultaneously handle eight mic inputs along with 8 high impedence inputs. While this works great for me, large-scale live performance users need to be aware that, because of the USB configuration, multiple units cannot be daisy-chained together for more inputs as they can be with firewire. The LED level readouts on the front are wonderful for determining signal presence without having to fire up the computer. A pleasant surprise is that the mic preamps have a slightly warmer sound to my ears than the Presonus. I also like the fact that the power cord plugs directly into the back without the cumbersome "wall-wart" power packs that others use. I use the US2000 with Sony Sound Forge 9 and Sound Forge 10 for mastering on Windows 7 and Windows Vista operating systems.
on January 13, 2013
I loved this product at first, but soon found out the hard way that Tascam uses poor quality XLR connectors, which ultimately sealed its fate. The locking mechanism release on the XLR inserts stopped functioning on channels 2 and 8, leaving two cables trapped. I did my best to try and wriggle out the cable, even opening up the US-2000 to try and do some doctor work to activate the release from the inside of the insert. But eventually I wriggled one time too many, and while the cable came loose, so did portions of channel 2. At this point, I've left the other channel with trapped XLR intact, but I need all eight channels with phantom power to mic my drum set. So I went with a AudioBox1818 VSL, and my US-2000 was packed into my closet of misfit dysfunctional music products.
on February 24, 2013
I have been using this interface for more than a year. I am suprised with the amount of reviews that blame this interface. I have been using it either on MacOS and Windows XP and it works as expected. The drivers I use are the last ones from the Tascam site. YOU DO HAVE YO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE PC HARDWARE THAT YOU USE. And that is very much documented on Tascam's manual. This interface is very USB bus intensive, so you have to be sure that the USB port that you are plugging it in is not shared by any other USB port on the PC. This detail is hard to tell if you don't know the technical specifications of you PC motherboard. By rule of thumb, if in Windows the Device Manager shows a USB hub for every USB port you have in the PC, you should be OK. Unfortunately even with this recommendation you might fail if your using a cheap PC motherboards since some components are not able to supply full USB speed.
Sonically speaking, the mic preamps are OK and silent enough for most situations. The latency of the digital interface is low enough to use it as a DAW and to plug to MIDI keyboards for example.
All the DAWs that I tested recognized all the interfaces at once. What I didn't expect is to fill all the interfaces in such a short time LOL. I guess it's the consequence of having so much flexibility on your fingertips. If that happens to you, the next upgrade with more interfaces would be going to a PCI Express model which would oblige to stick to a PC Desktop again, which I want to stay away. Another option is just wait for the market to launch a Lightning (for the Mac) or USB 3.0 model which I have not seen yet. For that reason I expect to keep this gear for quite a time.
on April 30, 2011
I bought this to record my entire drum kit into the computer with completely separated channels. The box works as advertised and I've encounter no issues with it at all. You've got to have quite a good computer to run it without pops and clicks so don't expect to use all the inputs on a 5 year old Dell or something. We've used it live to record multi-tracked performances for later editing and release and has worked flawlessly.
on November 9, 2013
Most important item in this review: it works perfectly straight out of the box on USB 3.0 ports on my laptop (Asus UX32VD which doesn't offer USB 2.0), and without having to degrade USB performance in the laptop's BIOS.

Nice:
+ 16 inputs + 4 outs, 48v switch for each pair of preamp inputs
+ most connections are on the rear, leaves the workspace tidy
+ super stable 64 bit Win driver
+ instument-in has more headroom (or attenuation) than my other USB box (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)
+ mic preamps are very quiet even at full gain and sound quite good
+ LED metering, great when setting up to see if the signal is there + it's pretty
+ 64 bit Win drivers work straight out of the box, install and forget
+ Sounds good especially at this price
+ Headphone-out has lots of power, ideal for drummers and senior citizens
+ Hardware monitoring with 2 separate dials for Computer and Input levels + mono/stereo switches
+ Nice construction and finish, dials are OK, looks good
+ Direct mains connection
+ Comes with mains and USB cable, 4 rack screws, seems the rack ears are removable if you don't need them
+ I didn't read the manual, yet I got everything working in a breeze in Reaper and Studio One 2 Pro
+ So yes there is a very good manual (I looked for the review), also a CD (did not open it)
+ Foam free packaging which survived a 5000-mile trek flawlessly

Not so nice
- No midi which will eat another USB port if you need it
- LED meteting is too slow and will not always show clipping, prefer the DAW meters for gain levelling
- instrument input sound is good but a wee bit better on my Scarlett
- Quite a deep and sturdy rack although I'm not sure smaller is better
- the driver only allows 5 preset ASIO latency settings, it's fine but you won't get the last millisecond
- Power and USB LEDs are directional (and tiny), I thought I had a faulty unit at first, turns out I couldn't see the LEDs from where I was
- I got some interference with the laptop on top of the US 2000, spacing the two a little solved the problem

Thank you Amazon for the great price (60% more here) and inexpensive standard shipping to Europe, I received my order in 4 days with DHL even though it was delayed 48 hours by customs :D
on January 5, 2012
7200 RPM WD HDD X2
Un-shared USB2 port
This product is solid as hell! 14 Analog Ins
4 OUTS + Monitor Out
15/16 is S/PDIF Not Analog input.
AD good quality
DA is also very good quality.
simple to setup , no flexible routing + no mixer software + all that, is done via DAW.

This is solid stuff!...
no issues here.. zero!
A+
on February 25, 2014
I have purchased this product to begin recording my own professional music as well as my bands demo material (to prepare for the studio). This unit seemed like a great way to do so with a laptop and seemed to be a great solution to being portable. To my dismay it seems this is the SECOND Tascam product to LET ME DOWN - RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. A month before this purchase, I returned the Tascam US-1800 to a local music store after being disappointed since it did not work (no signal). So I purchase the Tascam US-2000 in hopes it would work. Guess what... Nope.

I loaded the drivers as instructed and viola! It records a signal but I get a high pitched fuzzy sound during playback every time. I tried adjusting the latencies in the tascam control panel as well as in my recording software (I did not use the included Cubase.. not a fan of cubase). I have Protools and Adobe Audition 2013. Tried them both to get a lousy noisy high pitched computer sounding playback. I tried adjusting the latencies in both programs and the Tascam control panel. But still... the same result.

I tried loading the driver and running the tascam us-2000 on 3 different computers with the same result every time:

2010 XP Elitebook Work Station 8770w: Windows 7 / 64bit / 8GB Ram
Dell Inspiron 1545: Windows 7 / 64bit / 4GB Ram
HP Pavilion a320n Desk Top: Windows 7 / 64bit / 8GB Ram

This is the second Tascam that has failed me right out of the box. Their support team is nearly non-existent. I've tried calling and emailing them with no help on these issues thus far.

I've read alot of reviews on the Tascam US-2000 before the purchase decision hoping I wouldn't be one of the people receiving a lemon and it seems this is the second lemon I've received from tascam in a 2 month period.

I am finished with Tascam. I will never purchase or recommend a tascam product ever again. I am currently trying to work out an extension period with Amazon for the return of the Tascam for refund. I don't care If I have to pay for shipping. I just want this bad tascam mojo gone from my life at this point.

The saying " You Get What You Pay For " comes to mind and this is an experienced twice burned example. I will most likely be saving money and time by investing in a newer high end outboard automated mixer system to record in the near future. If you want it bad enough without the hassles and headaches you just got to bite the bullet and pay the top dollar for the BEST [PROFESSIONAL] EQUIPMENT and leave the childish junk alone.

Hope this helps anyone that reads this before considering a Tascam Interface for recording. Steer clear, you've been informed... unless you want to take the risk.. good luck to you. It's a $400.00 gamble.
on February 21, 2013
I know that some people have had issues with these units so check out other reviews about it, but it is working great for me and I like it.
I had problems installin the Cubebase 5 lt that came with the unit, and Stienberg wasn't exactly happy to help me, but I did get it installed.
I actually use the unit with a different DAW though.
on October 1, 2013
Like most home-recording enthusiasts, I researched extensively when it was time for me to upgrade from a small interface (M-Audio Fast Track; circa 2006) to a larger rack-mounted interface. You'll quickly discover that the really good interfaces use firewire or thunderbolt connections. For those user's without firewire equipped computers, the USB choices are slim. So what makes the US-2000 the absolute best USB choice?

1. Led metering for EVERY channel: Many rack-sized units have led metering for two channels, or clip/signal-single/double led metering. This unit gives you a full 5-led meter per channel.
2. Jack placement: Many units feature most, if not all the inputs of the units in the front (see the Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL). This becomes a problem when using this unit in a rack or with other equipment: the xlr cables stick out, they're easy to trip on, and it generally just clogs up your work area. The US-2000 has all but two of it's inputs routed to the back of the unit.
3. 16 Analogue Inputs: With 16 mics you can easily record a full band live. Many units this size only pack about 8.
4. Price: The US-2000 is $100+ cheaper than any other unit in it's class.

I bought this unit in early summer of 2012 and have used it 3-5 sessions a week for the last year and a half. The only difficulties I have had have been my own errors: installing the wrong driver/firmware, adjust the sample block size and latency incorrectly. As with any new piece of software or hardware, this one takes some time to truly master.

Here is an ultra-simplistic drum demo I recorded through the US-2000. No fancy mic's or outboard gear; I went straight through the US-2000's preamps into the computer. I hope this is a good indicator of the units flexibility. Enjoy!

on February 25, 2012
I did quite a bit of research on audio interfaces. Read review after unobjective review. I have used Tascam products before and always found them very reliable. The tech support was very good also. Which is tough to say for most companies. I purchased a lower end Alesis unit and it was terrible. Lots of background noise. No dedicated driver, so my computer didn't recognize it correctly. I returned it and purchased the US-2000. What a difference!! Minimal noise, very easy configuration(I am using it with Windows 7 and Cubase 6) and great features. I like the individual controls for the headphones, monitor, incoming and outgoing signals to the computer. If I would change anything about it, I would say it should have a MIDI I/O. For me, it's no big deal but it would be nice to have that option. Hope this helps someone with their decision.

See 1 answered question