5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Tai Chi Ch'uan Book for Western Minds
Published 1 month ago by Better Bikes

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide a useful description of the movements
Published on January 2, 2003 by diogenes

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide a useful description of the movements, January 2, 2003
diogenes (North Attleboro, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
I've been taking T'ai Chi classes for several months and I bought this book hoping that it would supplement my instruction. I have an excellent teacher but there are so many elements to each movement that I thought it would help to have static images that I could examine at my leisure. I haven't found this book useful in that respect. The main problem is that it's not clear how the pictures relate to the written descriptions of the movements. Even for sections of the form that I know very well I am often unable to figure out which movement the pictures are trying to convey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Tai Chi Ch'uan Book for Western Minds, June 6, 2014
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
A great book for beginners and advanced practitioners. Discusses all of the styles, history, and does a great job of discribing what chi or qi is and how it seems to work. Goes over what makes a great teacher and what does not. Gets your mindset focused on doing tai chi 101. As an example how to shift your weight properly from leg to leg, how to completly place your whole foot on the ground before shifting your weight to it. How to take notice of what happens to your shoulder blades when you lift or move your arms and then shifts your thinking to causing movement by moving your shoulder blades. How to relax your shoulder blades... it's not as simple as we might think due to the amount of tension we hold in our western bodies. All in all it will get your tai chi feet firmly grounded and your chi sinking properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good only as a meditation., March 15, 2014
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
I say this book is a great introduction to tai chi. This book supports tai chi more as a meditation exercise then a martial art. If it would've had application to each posture , it would've been a lot better. If you want to learn it as a martial art, get a teacher , video or a book. But a teacher is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workbook for any T'Ai Chi student, April 6, 2013
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
Unlike many instruction books which teach the what and how of T'Ai Chi, Crompton's workbook teaches why...as well as the importance of proper breathing, balance, and relaxation and demonstrates through photos proper form, while the text explains the meaning of the form. This is a great workbook for those seeking to refine the movements as well as for beginners looking to learn proper movement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good general information, poor form instruction., August 26, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
It is not possible for me to study Tai Chi with a master so I must relay on books and video tapes to learn the forms. The Tai Chi Workbook lacks sufficient graphic information about the postures and transitions to enable me to do this. McFarlan's book, while lacking the general information, does a much clearer job of demonstrating the form.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, thoughtful introduction, June 11, 1998
This review is from: T'Ai Chi Workbook (Paperback)
Paul Crompton's treatment of Master Cheng Man-Ch'ing's Tai Chi form is incredible, good illustrations and explanations, plus a realistic view of the art in self defense and philosophy. Crompton's work is to be commended.

T'Ai Chi Workbook
T'Ai Chi Workbook by Paul H. Crompton (Paperback - August 12, 1987)
Used & New from: $0.01