I didn't think such a game could exist on the Android platform. Even now, after spending HOURS with the game I still only barely scratched the surface. UniWar HD is like a great turn based strategy game of old, focusing on combat and base capture. While there is no diplomacy or other advanced options here, the game is still outstanding.

The premise of this app...
Published on August 23, 2012 by Samuel Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars not compatible ANYMORE?
This was a great game. For some odd reason after a factory reset i tried to reinstall this but was unable too. Says it is incompatible. I have a gs2 please fix then 5* thanks.
Published on September 11, 2012 by j

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn based strategy perfection. Great online capabilities, a good campaign, and plenty of vs. gameplay!, August 23, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)

The premise of this app is both simple and complex. You have to take over the map by eliminating your opponents (up to EIGHT players at the same time) and capturing their (or neutral) bases. You must carefully use the units at your disposal to outmaneuver and gang up on your enemies, destroying them mercilessly. By taking these bases you will be awarded with more money each turn, allowing you to build more units, and laugh manically as your army rolls over the competition. If you do your job, you will crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

There are three races in the game: The Kraleans, The Sapiens, and The Titans. Each race has completely unique units (eight of them) with different strengths, weakness, and abilities. The races are extremely well balanced, although my personal favorite so far are the Sapiens (Humans). I won't tell you why, because I think it will spoil your discovery moments with the game, which I also found fun.

The graphics and sound here are as good as they need to be for a TBS game. The hexes are adequate enough to represent the terrain you are on and the units look good. The sound effects and music are also very satisfying. My only wish is that units and tiles were a bit more animated. While units do fidget from time to time, and there are attack (and base) animations - the tiles themselves are very bland. Spicing these up will go a long way because players spend a lot of their time staring at them.

UniWar HD really is the complete package. There are plenty of options, including a very detailed Help option that will inform you on some of the more advanced tactics of the game. I suggest you go through it (or the campaign first) before jumping online because they will go over such things as medical bases, gang up bonuses, repairing, special abilities, etc. I made the mistake of venturing online first and got utterly annihilated (within a minute).

Speaking of online mode, this is where the game shines. Up to eight players can play simultaneously, and you can have multiple games going while you wait for them to make their move (I advise against this until you have a better grasp of the game).
You can play anonymously or make an account, I suggest you sign up with UniWar for the sake of record keeping. Feel free to give them bogus info if you are concerned about privacy.
Using this account you can check detailed statistics on your wins, losses, ladder position, etc. Very cool and handy!

If online is not your cup of tea, you can play against the AI and/or the excellent campaign which actually has a somewhat interesting story.
There is also the wonderful vs. mode, where you can play against your friends on the same phone (think hotseat option from PC TBS games). It's a great feature that gives UniWar HD a lot more bang for the buck.

I can't say enough good things about this game. I absolutely love that they didn't use spyware infested junkware like OpenFeint or Scoreloop. Everything (such as scorekeeping, progression, leader boards, etc) is handled in-game here, so there are no unnecessary permissions. Good job devs!

If I knew such a game existed, I would gladly pay full price for it. While steep at $4.99, it is very, very worth it if you at all enjoy turn based strategy games. This is quite simply the best FAOTD that Amazon has had in a while.
Go ahead and download it while it's free, and buy it if it's not. This game is amazing and will provide you with countless hours of entertainment (there are thousands of maps and the online community is HUGE).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Strategy Game, August 23, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
I wasn't going to download this FAOTD because it was a war game. But really it's just a strategy game with shooting. Believe the people who say there is a big, very big, learning curve. There are good instructions but if you are not familiar with these games they can be hard to understand. Add to that the white text on black background and it is even more difficult. But there is a tutorial game to start you off and it walks you through till you "get it". I had to play the first mission three times before I got even that easy level.

I was forever on mission two before it dawned on me that "Actions Remaining 0" meant just for that unit, not the whole play. I couldn't figure out why I only got one move and the enemy kept getting more and more. Duh. Once I got it I went through that mission fairly quickly.

A nice feature in this is that you don't have to wait for the enemy to make their moves. You can skip by that by clicking the check mark in the lower left to stop the count down and then the arrow to move on to your turn.

I'm not sure but I think I've learned about 2% of this game so far. This game has a lot to offer, but I won't be playing a real person any time soon.

No unnecesary permissions, no IAP, no ads not even for the devs other games, no nags to rate. Thanks to the devs for these things. For those who love this type of game $5 would be a real bargain. Works well on Kindle Fire, although it doesn't always register my taps right away.

1.0 out of 5 stars not compatible ANYMORE?, September 11, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)

1.0 out of 5 stars do not uninstall, you won't be able to reinstall, September 7, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
Do not uninstall, you won't be able to reinstall. I had this game installed and running on my device (Samsung GALAXY Nexus) I needed to do a factory reset and now the Amazon app store will not allow me to reinstall it, even tho it still shows as purchased in my account. I will amend my review when/if this is corrected. As it stands I'm told this app is "not compatible with my device". I know that not to be true as it was installed and running previous to the uninstall. My advice would be to backup the apk before you uninstall.

1.0 out of 5 stars TBS Games are scammers, September 29, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
TBS Games are scammers. They allowed Amazon to make this a FAOD then turned around shortly thereafter and marked it incompatible with what seems to be most Android devices. The fools at Amazon let them get away with it. I talked to an Amazon support person and they said it's the company that makes the app, in this case TBS Games, who sets what devices it's compatible with. Shortly after making this a FAOD and getting people hooked they marked most devices incompatible. They did this hoping everyone would go to the official Google Play Store and purchase the game, where it's still listed as compatible with everything. TBS Games is a despicable company for pulling the bait and switch and what's to stop them from doing it again? Nothing, because Amazon doesn't care that they were used like a cheap hooker and thrown away. Oh I also sent an email the official Uniwar support email address and they never responded, not even an automated response. You're an idiot if you ever do business with TBS Games.

Again, in case you missed it, UniWar is listed as compatible with everything on Google Play Store, so you know it being incompatible on Amazon is a total SCAM. The app has NOT been updated since it was FAOD, TBS Games just changed all the flags on Amazon to make it incompatible hoping you'd be an idiot and go buy it on Google.

3.0 out of 5 stars Author Stealing Money, September 21, 2012
Ryba (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
Initially put out there it worked great on my device. Then later when I went to reinstall it, it tells me it is incompatible with the device. Emailed author and amazon both and neither responds. Through forum reading I find out that the author only wants it to work on Kindle Fire and they have no intention of refunding anyone who may have bought the game already for another device.

see http://www.amazon.com/gp/cd/m/Fx3UX6H5NAKPTDO/-/Tx24ZR1976VXZ2B/1/Mx95JMEK8HHX5I and http://www.amazon.com/gp/cd/m/Fx2SGDMVDJVXTR3/B008BIN9EW/Tx37RBWRC9JSK40/1/Mx12H2M0ESF08U2 for examples where dozens of people suffer the same thing and the authors are blatantly ignoring everyone about it.

Update: The author has updated the product to work with non-kindle phones again. Bumped up the stars but not as much as I would have liked to cause it still just leaves a bad taste in the mouth that it happened to start with and for such an extended period of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer compatible - Lame, September 23, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
Seems a lot of people who purchased this and had it work can no longer access the program because the Authors and Amazon only want it to work on Kindle Fire. If we own the app and it does actually work on our device then it is pretty bad that Amazon no loonger allows you to download to the device of your choice. Very bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work on my S2 t989 anymore, September 6, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
This game was a great game when I was able to play it on my S2, I had to reset my phone to factory default and after that, it was no longer compatible with my devise wtf!

1.0 out of 5 stars was a fun game...now can't install it, August 28, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
it's a fun game to play but it drains battery quick. make sure you have a full battery when you start playing.

I'm running on a Gnex with stock 4.0.4 ROM.

***EDIT 9/21/2012***

lowering my rating from 4 stars to 1 star.

a few days after installing this game i received a replacement phone in the mail from verizon and when i set it up i couldn't find UniWar HD in the list of 'MyApps' in the Amazon appstore app. went to Amazon on my PC and looked it up, the game is still listed on the site as 1 of my apps, but now says it's not compatible w/ any of my devices. emailed the dev on Aug 30th and as of today still have not received an answer. i started a discussion here on the Amazon site about this and quickly found that there are many others having this same issue. i've even found a post in the UniWar forums about it, but no response from the devs there either, this shows how much they care about their users. i will never give them any money for an app in the future based on this experience. be careful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't install, September 5, 2012
This review is from: UniWar HD (App)
This game worked fine on my Samsung epic but when I try to install it on my galaxy s3 it says it's not compatible. What's the deal?

UniWar HD