5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Pre-Amp
Published on October 7, 2007 by Yankee Doodle

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BUT....
This is a nice product and it works great and could legitimately get 5 stars. But I was tempted to give it 1 star so folks might read the review and see my advice to consider the TCC TC-750LC BLACK Professional Moving Magnet Preamp instead, which is the same device except with an output level control - and only costs $5 bucks more.

If you hook the output to a...
Published 22 months ago by Steve Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Pre-Amp, October 7, 2007
This review is from: TCC TC-750 BLACK Audiophile Phono Preamp, Pre-amp (Preamplifier) (Electronics)
My son recently bought a used turntable and needed a pre-amp to hook up to his computer. In lieu of cheaper models, I decided to check out the TC-750 based on the better tech specs for this model. We've been very pleased. We had the turntable hooked up to my receiver with integrated phono pre-amp before this arrived, and we think this sounds better. My son's not a high end audiophile, but he thinks he can tell the difference with this pre-amp, which is all that matters. Simple to set up and came with the cable needed to hook to the computer line-in. Looks good and has the ground connection for the turntable as well. I give it 5 stars not because its probably as good as some $1500 tube pre-amp (I'll never know) but for the performance and features at the price. My son is likely to upgrade the turntable some day but will make sure he can bypass any integrated pre-amp it may come with since this one may be hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, Better Performance Than I Ever Hoped, March 1, 2007
Robert Armstrong (San Francisco, CA 94124) - See all my reviews
I have a fairly large collection of operas on LP's and had been having a friend transfer some of them to CD's. Unfortunately he seemed to have trouble keeping system noises, humming and buzzing, from entering the recordings so I decided to try for myself. I have an old Technics direct drive turntable equipped with a Stanton pickup. I read another review on the TC-750 which impressed me, so since this preamp was relatively inexpensive I decided to give it a try. It arrived shortly after ordering particularly for Hawaii, and I hooked the turntable up to the TC-750 and that in turn to a VCR which is plugged into the sound card of my computer. Using Nero software that came with a Sony DVD burner I captured several of the operas and burned them onto CD's. I cannot emphasis to much how elated I am with the sound. It is absolutely clean and smooth. The sound reproduction is perfect. I am totally estatic with the performance of the relatively inexpensive TC-750 phono preamp, and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to connect a magnet phono pickup to a standard audio imput.

5.0 out of 5 stars This company (and this product) rocks !, March 17, 2008
I was considering the purchase of a USB turntable to archive some of my old vinyl. Then I thought .. HEY !! I haver a Creative Labs X-FI Platinum card and software out the wazoo for this kind of thing. I also have a variety of high-end amps, mixers, etc. but always ended up with weak signals or horrendous buzzes when I tried to capture disk to digital.

In my frustration, I looked at eBay for a phono pre-amp, but was not impressed with the affordable options. My next step, when eBay doesn't pan out (OFTEN)is to look at new stuff on Amazon (which ALWAYS comes through.)

As typical with Amazon buys, this showed up at my doorstep nearly INSTANTANEOUSLY !! At least, I ordered like midnight on Thursday, and it was here before noon Monday !!!!

I hooked it up in a few second (but realized the GROUNDING WIRE is key to killing the hum). Apparently a lot of units in this price range omit this ESSENTIAL feature.

My first record recorded like a DREAM !!! All the warmth of vinyl (minus the hiss and pops). The end result is better than the original. I produced a Jazz album back in the '80s and have been trying to find a way to get the originals of the BETA VH-1 tapes. Now I don't need to worry. The original master disks from vinyl sound better than the the digital masters to my ears.) I may just re-release it on CD this way.

WELL worth the low price, and as I've experienced with Amazon before, my expectations were far exceeded. Kudos to both companies !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fine little preamp, July 20, 2008
Am a long time audiophile with a fairly modest system (about 5-6k). Love good sound, and also love a product that performs well beyond what one would expect. This is such a product....I had recently upgraded my amp to a really lovely sounding unit with vac. tube pre and solid state output, but it has no phono. Orig. planned to buy an entry level audiophile phono pre for about $300, but kept seeing good words about this little TC-750, and it was so inexpensive the risk was minimal. Long story short, it is a delight. Very quiet with good inner detail, and excellent bass. Cannot say for certain but it may be just slightly to the warm side of neutral (or that may be due to my tube pre in the amp). In any case, a VERY slight cut to the bass control and a tiny boost to the treble brings the balance to what sounds neutral to my ears. Can say for certain that you will need to spend very considerably more to surpass it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BUT...., June 14, 2012

If you hook the output to a device that has an input level control, you won't need an output control so this version will work fine for you.

Otherwise it's a crap shoot whether or not the signal level is optimal for your input device. I was connecting to a device (M-Audio Firewire Audiophile) which does not have an input control for the unbalanced (rca) input, and the signal from the TC-750 was a little too hot - resulting in clipped recordings.

I solved it by adding a rheostat between the two devices, but wish I'd thought of it before I bought and got the LC version instead.

Even of you don't need the adjustment feature now, it's nice to have the flexibility so you have it if a future need ever arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hi-fi preamp, January 15, 2010
I bought this preamp roughly two years ago, since I had a Harman-Kardon surround AV receiver that needed a preamp for my ancient AR turntable and Grado FT3 cartridge.
I have spent my life building hi-fi speakers and otherwise keeping a high-quality stereo system through many technological changes. The current iteration includes self-repaired Advent large and small speakers, the HK, an Oppo DVD/CD player, and fine-sounding Nakamichi cassette deck.

All I can say is, this little $43. preamp fits right in and makes all my old vinyl sound really alive. There is virtually no hum, or other quirks other than pure sound. I don't need the ground wire as the connection cables ground the turntable chassis as well as the HK receiver.

Don't hesitate to buy this preamp. It is a bargain and a high-quality one at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiophile on the Cheap. Really., March 24, 2011
Audiophiles will snub the little TC750, thinking something so cheap can't be worth serious attention. The truth is that this little unit has a fine, uncolored sound. The TC750's specs are nothing the sneeze at either: S/N ratio greater than 85dB, less than .05% THD, and frequency response +/- .5dB from 20Hz - 20KHz. Shockingly good numbers from such a modestly priced unit. It's easy to disbelieve such numbers at such a low price, but my ears say it's true.

Be sure to check out the range of preamps this company offers before you buy. They have several models with different features. Different versions have level controls, extra inputs or ability to work with moving coil cartridges. You can probably get the exact thing you need.

The one downside is that the AC adapters are prone to failure. Phonopreamps.com seems to know this, since their lifetime warranty on the preamp excludes the adapter, which is instead warranted for 60 days. Expect to make a trip to RadioShack for a new AC adapter in 6 months to a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, excellent seller, February 28, 2008
Sean Wholey (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
The package was received in two days with standard shipping! As far as performance, I've only tested one other preamp in this pricerange and this one blew it away. Believe the other reviews, you won't believe how good this sounds. Crystal clear vibrant sound. I'm very happy with my purchase. Buy with confidence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great amp at a great price, December 31, 2009
I had done a fair amount of research prior to getting my turntable but failed to recognize why a preamp was necessary. The day I got my turntable in, I knew I had to find a good preamp on a tight budget. I had heard good things about this amp and they were right. The sound quality is great and does exactly what it's supposed to. I spent much less than I expected and got a lot more than I expected. I couldn't be happier with the service and my preamp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, October 13, 2009
As the product copy says, its about the same as the phono stage in a decent receiver. It does generate some noise, but not that audible unless you have a super kicking component system with high-end speakers. I can definitely hear an unacceptable amount of noise from my Sennheiser 555 cans through my Panasonic bX500 receiver; when I unplug the TCC-750, the noise goes away, so the TCC-750 is definitely the source. Not so bad through my bi-amped speakers, but noticeable. So not for audiophile headphone listening, but ok for plugging a moving magnet turntable into a surround receiver that does not have a phono stage and listening through your speakers. Three stars for sound, five for value.

ARRAY(0xa805fdf8)