5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden little audiophile gem
Published on December 22, 2007 by cabsauv94

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months...
I was nice when it worked. But one by one each input died in less than 6 months... Spend a little more for something reliable...
Published on April 16, 2012 by Ralph

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden little audiophile gem, December 22, 2007
cabsauv94 (Hampton, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TCC TC-754 BLACK RIAA Phono Preamp (Pre-amp, Preamplifier) With Three Switchable Aux Inputs and Variable Output Level (Electronics)
This product has far exceeded my expectations! I bought this because I thought I could not go wrong with this price since I had just purchased new tube amps and I was using my old receiver as a pre-amp. However, I thought the sound from my SACD player was 10 times better if plugged directly into my new amps and thus this started my search for a passive pre-amp. Amazingly, the TCC TC-754 is totally quiet. I can perceive no difference in sound compared to having my components plugged directly into my amp versus being routed through this pre-amp. Although technically there is 20 dB of boost through the line outs, it does not appear to change or alter the signal to my ears. The TNT audio review was extremely helpful as it recommended a power supply upgrade. This upgrade greatly improved the TCC's phono pre-amp capabilities in my system, it really (to borrow an audiophile term) created a much larger sound stage. The phono stage is also pretty quiet but I can hear a slight hiss with the volume turned way up, but by comparison, I hear nothing at all with components turned off from the line outs when the volume is turned all the way up. The phono stage is for moving magnet cartridges only and it matched or slightly surpassed my 1990 Sansui's AV receiver's built in phono stage. One other thing that is important in evaluating audiophile gear, the burn-in or break-in period, I personally don't rationally understand this, but after listening to music through this pre-amp the sound seemed to be further mellowed, improved and warmed after about 50 hours of use. The TNT reviewer was indeed accurate in reporting this pre-amps closest competition would cost several times the TCC price. If your audio system matches well with passive pre-amp or sounds awesome with just the cd player plugged directly into the amplifier then I would highly recommend this little pre-amp! Another TNT audio reviewer's noted that his ~ $10,000 priced amps did not sound good at all with the TC-754. But that particular description reminded me of the same critiques that I have read about passive pre-amps as a class' sound with amps that need the higher gain and the other nuances of active pre-amps, but I am not an expert and I am only guessing. The TC-754 is not equipped with remote control, loudness, balance or tone settings. Instead it is product of elegant simplicity that has met my audio hobby desires perfectly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well built device., June 7, 2010
I bought this primarily because I had to replace my power amp recently and discovered to my dismay that the new unit didn't have a built in phono pre-amp. It was something that I thought was standard issue but apparently not anymore. I choose this unit because of the high signal to noise ratio, and because of the added inputs.

I was hoping that I would be able to use the extra inputs for run my MP3 player (I use a Zune) through my home system which I had been doing previously but the signal was at such a low level that I would often have to turn the volume up to half or 3/4 to obtain a good listening level. Then if I forgot and switched back to CD... well you know. The extra inputs on this unit bypass the pre-amp equalization circuitry, which is necessary for playing back LP's, but are still controlled by the Gain (volume) control. I am quite happy with the results; now I can switch from CD to PHONO to MP3 without having always remember to adjust the volume first! This is a great boon at parties where there is sometimes drinking involved.

I was very pleased with the feel of the unit. It has a very solid heft to it, which I realize is not scientific, but none the less still leads me to believe that it's very well construced. It produces a very clean, transparent sound, with no coloration (added bass or treble) or loss of signal which is probably the most important factor in an audio component. Which is why I use the Zune as my MP3 player because it allows you to use a "loss-less" format which sounds virturally like a CD, unlike the 'clipped' files that the Ipod uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, December 7, 2010
F. Gomez (Sarasota, FL) - See all my reviews
I searched for hours hoping to find the right device. This is it! I have my MP3 in the phono input and my DVD player and ROKU in Aux inputs all going out to my high quality powered speakers. I really wanted this for the MP3 and ROKU (so I could turn off TV while still listening to Pandora) and the bonus is I eliminated some extra cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe how great it performs !, June 22, 2012
This TC 754 little thing just the size of a cigarette carton box even smaller, is amazing. Looks like a joke but it is not ! For 73 bucks it replaced a very hi end Conrad Johnson PV5 which broke. The TC 754 is connected to 2 amps via Y connections, one McCormick DNA-1 and one ADS 10 for time delay sound and is driving both great with no loss in volume. The phono sound is super and the LPs sound just like the good old Conrad Johnson. And it is small tiny ! Geeezzzz.....micro-technology ! I just bought it a week ago I hope it lasts.
Anthony

4.0 out of 5 stars No Bummer; Hardly a Hummer, September 20, 2011
I use the pre-amp for my turntable. I am a '70s guy in audio rehab since kids have finally left home: Technics SL-1700 with Stanton 681 EEE Mk III (cartridge was purchased in '77); Marantz 2270 purchased in 1974 is in California where all people and audio equipment go for rehab; using a later model nondescript and unexciting Sony receiver wtih Bose 301s while my JBLs are being rehabed as well. I did have a Radio Shack preamp. It was easy to hum along with it and given my age I just thought it was part of the ringing in my ears. Much to my excitement, this pre-amp resolved almost all the hum. For the price this is very impressive piece of equipment and has restored my joy of listening to vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little amp!, April 28, 2012
This little item is a jewel. My old alblums never souded so good!
Plus the extra out puts are a added bonus. Highly recommend and it was shipped on time, no issues as usual.
D...

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months..., April 16, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect little pre-amp, June 5, 2011
What can I say? I needed a source selector for my headphones that wasn't the size of my desk and cost 500 bucks. This fit the bill and sounds transparent. It is well built and works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful gadget!, January 17, 2011
Bought this to allow us to run a turntable through our home theater system ... and it works great. Very little distortion, and good sound amplification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phono preamp, April 5, 2010
Excellent preamp for connecting a turntable, tape deck and any other audio equipment to your PC.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›