1,375 Reviews

1,125 of 1,184 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good
First, let me clarify that the TV is, in fact, native 1080p. No question about it.

Second, the panel on this TV is made by Samsung, and the quality is excellent.

Third, TCL's website has a find service center location search and it is quite extensive ..

Published on October 29, 2010 by Your Uncle Willie

3.0 out of 5 stars TCL Television Warranty -Service Locations
Published on November 19, 2010 by Wisey

1,125 of 1,184 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, October 29, 2010
This review is from: TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty, Black (Electronics)

Second, the panel on this TV is made by Samsung, and the quality is excellent.

Based on the two year warrantee, what I am seeing with my TV and Amazons excellent delivery, I'm giving this set a Best Buy rating ..

UPDATE 11/16/2010 .. this set is just plain excellent .. and Amazon service is top of the line .. my set developed a thin blue vertical line, I contacted Amazon, they picked up the set the next day and delivered a new set at the same time .. hard to beat that ..

Update 11/17/2010 .. it's a bit tiresome getting messages from folks who 1) don't have the TV and want to slam it in a public review 2)Know little to nothing about TV's .. I had an electronic repair business for 10 years and I've worked on a lot of TV's .. so I know what I'm talking about .. any TV by any maker is not 100% perfect 100% of the time .. I stand by the fact that this is a great set .. hey, if you don't want to buy it, go get something from the local 'Mart or what not .. or get nothing at all .. matters not to me .. I think you'll be missing out on a great deal, however ..

UPDATE 12/08/2010 .. Thanks to Original Aspect Ratio .... you might try this on any remote and see if it works .. what have you got to lose .. ?? .. keep in mind that this TV has been branded as RCA in the past ..
I have a Logitech Harmony remote. When I select "RCA L32HD41" the tv works 100% as far as I can tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - 3 years later: Great price , awesome HDTV !, August 21, 2010
J. Bakker (Shadow Moses Island) - See all my reviews
Had to write a review for others like me who hadn't heard of the brand and were skeptical. This TV rocks ! It has a 2 yr warranty and a beautiful picture. I bought one for my mom , because her old HDTV broke. I spent over $800 on a Samsung 32 inch about 2 years ago (bought through Amazon) , and man do I regret that because the price on TV's dropped like crazy right after. This TV is just as good WITH MORE FEATURES than my Samsung. for the price you can't beat it , I got it for $320 !

UPDATE 9 13 2013 - This TV is still going strong! Absolutely unbeatable for its price. If you can find one still be sure to pick it up!

3.0 out of 5 stars TCL Television Warranty -Service Locations, November 19, 2010
I purchased this TV based on fairly good reviews,good price and two year warranty.On TCL/USA website they list two warranty service companies in my area of Overland Park,Kansas. I contacted both of these companies and they do not service TCL televisions. I contacted TCL customer Support at 1-877-300-8837 and they would not tell me where I could get warranty service other than to look at their website. So what good is a warranty if you cannot get any service? I hope someone with TCL sees this post and responds. I also think Amazon.com should look into this problem since they make a big deal about the two year warranty. Let the buyer beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Picture, Nice Price, August 24, 2010
A. Davis (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had not heard of the TCL brand before and did a little bit of research to find out that they're a Chinese company that has manufactured products for domestic sales since the mid-80s. Now they are selling their products here. The concern with any unknown brand would be longevity - will the TV last past the warranty? I can't comment on that, of course, because I've only had this TV for a few days. I can say that it was very easy to set up, and it produces a nice sharp picture. In addition to good HD streaming, it also produces a very nice image on the standard-definition channels. The sound from the speakers is a little flat, so if you care about high-quality sound, I would recommend connecting external speakers. At 40 inches, it's a nice size for a smaller living area. An attachable stand is included. There is no hardware included for wall mounting. It probably took me 10 minutes from the time I got the TV out of the box to having it up and running with stand attached. You'll need an HD cable to connect to your cable box or other receiver. Then you set the TV input to the HDMI setting, and you're watching TV. If you want to set your cable/universal remote to operate this TV, you may have a problem, since TCL is a newer brand and may not be included in your receiver's list of brand codes.

Overall, this is a very nice TV at a good price. The two-year warranty should take some of the concerns out of purchasing, but I'll be interested to see how the TV does in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Great Product, October 10, 2010
Dr. E (Bethlehem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never heard of "TCL." In a world where brand-recognition often provides the confidence needed for a consumer to invest in it, I suppose you could say I was dubious of this television's quality. Nonetheless, I soon became a convert ...

Foremost, I ordered this item on a Thursday at about 3:00 PM ... and it literally arrived the next morning at about 8:30AM. Having not requested overnight delivery (because it was not an option), I was already impressed. (And for those who worry about purchasing electronics online, this television was handled with care. Not a ding in the box. Perfect transit!) Then, when I went to lift the box, I was bracing for a heavy trudge to the living-room. It turned out to be surprisingly light. I have two other flat-screens: a Polaroid and a Samsung. Both are pretty hefty. I worried that weight had some correlation to quality. Wrong again. The picture quality is more vibrant than I expected ... the whites and blacks, very crisp. Similarly, the sound is full and lush. (Both picture and sound are fully adjustable and customizable).

The set-up was a snap: unscrew the stand from the back of the tv & attach it to the base ... plug-in, connect cable, and scan for channels. Done.

The remote control is full-sized and ergonomically correct. My only complaint is that the batteries were not included (even though the description here states otherwise). Finally, there was no product guide (my box only included a double-sided set-up sheet). Now, let me be honest ... I think product guides are a waste of paper. (These things are pretty self-explanatory). But some older consumers may not know how to adjust color, personalize sound, or even update the date/time. So, while I think this omission is acceptable (if not welcome) by most, it may prove a shock to others. (Neither of these minute "problems" were troubling enough to warrant a star-deduction). Moreover, it does state in the description that both of these items should be in the box ... so maybe this will not even be an issue for you.

Bravo for the "little touches." For instance, a sleep-timer (with multiple options) turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Love that!

Worried about the "TCL" brand? Let me put your mind at ease. This television is gorgeous, even when powered-off (aesthetically on par with my Samsung). The colors and blacks are exactly what I would see in a more expensive brand. The sound is impressive. And, the set-up ... a breeze. And, seriously, I loathe when companies cheap-out on the remote ... no need to worry about that here! (Just be sure to buy some batteries before your new television arrives). I cannot gush enough about this exemplary product, so buy this TCL with confidence. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price! Great TV!, August 27, 2010
Bought this for my college dorm this year and it works great! The picture is just as good as my samsung at home! My xbox 360 in HD looks amazing in 720p, you won't be able to tell the difference between 1080p at 32 inches. It's easy to set up right out of the box and the best thing is that it comes with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY! Overall for 320 dollars it provides great value! I don't think you'll find a new 32 inch TV cheaper anywhere else. Give it a chance!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Great price but I too have issues with screen blanking, November 17, 2010
At a price of $260 I could not resist at least trying it. Overall the picture quality is good and the sound is about what you would expect from this type of unit. Unfortunately, I am also experiencing the issue that was reported in other reviews when viewing through HDMI ports. It is very random but both the audio and video will blank out for 2-3 seconds. I will be watching a movie fine and then all of the sudden the screen goes black and the audio cuts out. This happens for 2-3 seconds and then the audio and video return to normal. Sometimes it will happen once every 5-10 minutes, and other times it will run for an hour with no issues. I have tried multiple HDMI ports, cables, devices etc. and all yield the same result. These devices work fine on my other HD TVs with no issues.

When watching over-the air channels or via the coax connection the issue is not present. The issue only appears to happen over HDMI devices.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 18, 2010 9:06:46 AM PST
If you have not already, please phone our customer support line at 877-300-8837 so that we can better understand what might be causing this issue. Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars affordable 1080p with odd HDMI input, November 21, 2010
Aurora1957 (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty, Black

Summary
Pros:
Good price, quick no cost Amazon Prime delivery, decent picture, decent sound, tunes via RF to both cable analog, digital, and HD and over the air digital HD, lightweight, shipped in original box, 2 year warranty, works with both PS3 and Xbox 360, 1080i from cable box via component cables only

Cons:
Odd behavior with all three HDMI inputs, TV reports 720p via HDMI from 1080i HD cable box, plain vanilla no bells or whistles, shipped with half charged batteries, picture turns on a bit slowly, only one component input

*************************
EDITED 11-28-10
I've been told that reporting an input of 720p rather than 1080i from the cable box is a GOOD thing, although this is odd behavior from a native 1080p display in my experience. In addition according to the users manual the issue I experienced with the PS3 and HDMI input should resolve with unplugging and plugging back in the TV. Please bear this in mind when reading my review. I have revised my rating upward to 4 stars.

**************************

I've had this TV for about two weeks now, keeping it on pretty much 24/7; I want to discover any immediately developing problems as this will be a Christmas gift.

I've had it hooked up to cable via the RF input, and receive analog, digital, and a few HD channels from Comcast, as expected. No problems, nice picture, pretty good sound, easy setup, not too slow to change channels. RF cable and Xbox 360 component input is my intended end use. Just remember to point the remote to the lower left hand corner when standing close, and have a pair of fresh AAA alkaline batteries handy.

I was going to wait a while longer to review the L40FHDF11TA; I've been slowly testing the inputs. However, I have found an issue that could be a deal breaker for some:

The TV HDMI inputs do not recognize a 1080i input signal from my Comcast box, a Motorola DVR DCH 3416. The TV reports a 720p input signal on all three HDMI inputs. It does correctly report a 1080i input signal via component cables only from the cable box, however hook the HDMI back in to the TV and both inputs report 720p by the TCL L40FHDF11TA. These are the input signal reports from the TV only, the TCL L40FHDF11TA will deinterlace (with 1080i) or scale up (with 720p) to display 1080p in either case.

Here is what I have found in testing the inputs as reported by the TV:

HDMI
1080p correct with PS3, both native and blu ray; reliably with HDMI input 2 only (work around available, see above)
1080i correct with up converting Phillips DVD player, all three HDMI inputs
720p unexpected with above mentioned Comcast cable box, all three inputs

Component (remember there is only one of these)
1080i correct with Comcast cable box, but will reoprt 720p if HDMI from cable box is also plugged in
1080p correct with native Xbox 360, 480p with DVD playing (no upconversion)
480p correct from ReplayTV

Composite
480i correct from portable DVD player

S-Video
not available with TCL L40FHDF11TA

RF
correct input direct from Comcast cable, analog, digital, and 1080i HD signal working, no further information

Audio inputs in (analog) working

Headphone out working

USB media in JPEG working, no mp4 or AVI support

SPDF digital audio out not tested

VGA not tested

DVI/Computer audio in not tested

Audio output (analog) not tested

The TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV meets my needs; however the lack of multiple legacy inputs coupled with the odd behavior of at least some of the HDMI inputs with at least some HDMI sources should be carefully considered by any buyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already have a 50" plasma in the living room, so I jumped at the chance to see what an LCD screen had to offer. I set it up in my bedroom, upgraded to an HD box and turned it on.

The image is gorgeous! Crystal clear and bright. The colors, at times, appear a bit more saturated than those on the plasma, but that's neither a pro nor a con, as both sets have their shining moments. In particular, the LCD does extremely well with graphics that include vectors and sharp lines.

I love that, unlike the plasma, the lamp in my room casts no reflection on the screen. That's been a downside to the plasma, but with the LCD, it's a non-issue. In addition, it shows better in bright daylight than the plasma.

The only downside -- if you can call it that -- is that I haven't been able to figure out the remote code to configure my Comcast/Xfinity remote to control the TV's power and volume.

The 32" size is perfect for my bedroom, and has given me an awesome viewing experience from my very own bed. As with my plasma, I purchased an HDMI cable to achieve the absolute best performance. They're expensive, but worth it.

Included in the packaging are the TV, easy-to-assemble stand, four screws, remote and an instruction sheet.

Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget TV for a 2nd room, Student Apartment, or Deal-finders, November 22, 2010
With so much confusion regarding the TV and it's specs, I figured a video review might be the best for resolving that issue. Amazon limits the size and length of Video Reviews pretty badly, so it can be found on YouTube here: [[...]] On many forum sites, the following questions often come up, and here's the answer to them as well:

Matte or Glossy Screen?
- Semi-Glossy. No glare is noticed during video playback, and when staring into the screen in the off position, it's not a mirror, like some Toshiba or HP laptops have.

Seriously, is this 1080p or 720p? I read it's one and the other on a lot of websites.
- Interestingly, the TV accepts a 1080p signal, but displays it with the amount of pixels it has the capability of displaying, which is 1366 x 768. You'll see some examples in the video.

I heard it has no buttons on the TV display itself, so if you lose the remote, you're screwed. Is this true?
- No, absolutely not. On the left side, towards the top, there's a Power button, volume and channel changing options, and a menu button.

What files does the USB connection support?
- The TV lets you choose between "photo" and "music" modes during USB play. So videos don't work from the USB itself.
- From my tests,the following worked: jpg, png, mp3,