5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Internet TV
Published on September 19, 2012 by Amy Gallacher

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty? Hardly.
Update: It is November 7, 2012: Our TV has been at the 'repair shop' (warehouse? Garbage dump?) now since the first of August 6, 2012. That makes it 3 months.

Published on November 7, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Internet TV, September 19, 2012
Amy Gallacher (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TCL LE32HDE5200 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED Internet HDTV with 2-Year Limited Warranty (Black) (Electronics)
This television has been great so far! The colors are vibrant, the sound is loud and resonant, and the Smart TV features are few but exactly what we wanted. It's a perfect size for our bedroom, too. My husband and I had been looking for something to replace our 27" CRT TV, and decided to take a bit of a leap on this TV. It had no reviews, but the similar non-internet model has high ratings, so we decided to give it a try. When we got the TV, we found that it came with a very nice glass stand. It has Youtube and Netflix setups, and they're very easy to control with the remote. So far, buffering time with either is VERY short to non-existent (that could just be our high-speed internet, though). We haven't really tried to use the sharing function yet.

All in all, a great TV for the sale price we got it for. I didn't think we'd be able to get a TV with wifi for under $500, much less one that works so nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars crystal picture, October 13, 2012
The product is great by any standard. Crystal picture, simple yet useful apps. and price is so attractive that you could not refuse it. Loving it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty? Hardly., November 7, 2012

In talking to my husband last night he said "I bet the reason these TV's are so inexpensive is they bought up all the discontinued parts sitting around in China, assembled the TV's and sold them dirt cheap." So what if they break? They are disposable! Trouble is they don't inform the customers that they are throw-aways. Instead they talk about their warranty! And their Customer Service!!!. The disposable TV theory makes sense to me particularly given the treatment we have gotten. I am putting this review on EVERY TCL TV even though we only bought the 42 inch version.

In looking at other reviews (and not just on Amazon) TCL has this same ho-hum attitude about customer service for ALL of their TV's. I promise to eat crow if we ever see that TV again, but I don't think I'll be burping feathers any time soon. I would bet money we will never see that TV again. I'd appreciate any comments where people have had satisfactory customer service - it might restore my faith that I will see that TV on the front porch in the next couple of years.

----------------------------------
My original review written in October still stands:

When we set it up, we were very happy with the picture quality, there were a few dead pixels, but that doesn't show up much and we weren't concerned. But the whole panel died after only 6 months. We aren't big TV watchers either. The thing was on less than 5 hours a week.

So we contacted TCL (after several tries to get them on the phone), they gave us the number of the repair shop we were to send this TV to. After several tries, I got them on the phone. They agreed to send us a box to ship it in (a whole other fiasco, but that's not to do with the TV).

We received the packing box (after a couple of weeks). We packed it and sent it to them Fed-Ex the same day.

Now the Big Wait begins. After 3 weeks I called (again, several times, for several days before an answer). Oh, its here, it is in our shop and they are working on it. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks because we are So Busy!!

OK. Fine. We wait some more. Three more weeks. I call (yes, again, several times over a period of days before I get an answer). NOW there is a problem getting the part. But it should be in 'any time now'.

Hmmm. So I wait some more. Another 3 weeks. I call (here we go again! several times a day, for several days -FINALLY an answer). This time someone let the cat out of the bag and told me that the 'panel' that my TV needs is on 'back order'. They have a warehouse full of TCL TV's waiting for this part. She was honest enough to say that it could be 3 months or 3 years before it is received. They simply do not know.

Of course it is not the repair shop's fault. I am mad at them for not being more forthcoming, but it is TCL's fault for not providing proper warranty service - TCL simply does not care about customer service.

I will update this review as things change, but things probably won't change. This week I am due to call again. I am nothing if not persistent.

So, you can go ahead and buy a TCL TV, and you might get lucky and get one that works for a while. But then you can send it to the repair shop so it can keep mine company - in the 'warehouse full of TCL TV's needing repair'.

Fair Winds,

Cap'n Jan

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature Packed for the Dollar, January 29, 2013
P. Gruden (Mount Laurel, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
I purchased this TV as a cheap option to put in a spare bedroom where I have exercise equipment. The picture on this set is quite good, I would put it on par with my 32" Sony KV series LCD. There are a TON of inputs on this set. If you can think of it, this set probably has it. There are 4 HDMI inputs, which means most people shouldn't have much trouble getting all of their gear hooked up.
The look of the TV (outer frame and stand) is quite slick looking. If people didn't know any better I think this could fool them into thinking it was a more expensive set. The remote control on this TV is quite large. This might be good for some people who tend to misplace their remote from time to time. It (the remote) is not backlit, but the design is fairly intuitive so most users should be able to get the hang of it rather quickly.
For the "Smart" portion of this TV, I have only tried using it with Netflix, which seems to work as well as it does on the Xbox or Roku. My only complaint about Netflix is that I can't seem to find a way to stop a program without turning the TV off. Pause works fine, but if you wanted to stop and flip to a different input I have not had success. Simply turning the TV off and On will solve this problem, but Netflix will lose your place in the program you are watching. So far, as of right now Netflix is the only service offered, but I can imagine this could change in the future with a firmware update (if TCL so desired)
This TV comes with a USB wireless network adapter for those that do not have the ability to hook it up directly to a Cat 5 cable. I can not comment on the speed of this wireless adapter as I am using wired with this set currently.
The TV was shipped from Amazon in a retail box, but there really was no security with this box. It was simply held closed by a couple of flaps. This could have easily been tampered with by someone during the shipping process if they desired.

Overall, I woud recommend this product to someone who is looking for a feature packed TV at an entry level price. I'm sure it's probably not the best TV on the market, but it would probably suit the casual viewer just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely unbeatable value!, February 16, 2013
2/16/2013
This is a Day Two review. I will amend this review at one month, six months, and one year (assuming the TV survives--fingers crossed!) with updates as to the TV's performance, backlight and electrical issues, et cetera. The TV arrived in what I imagine was the condition intended by the manufacturer--the box was beat to hell, but the TV was snug and scratchless safe inside.

TCL LE40FHDE5200
This is a TCL model 40-inch Full HD television with a full-dimming edge-LED backlight (that's the cheaper kind, but bear with me). TCL, by the way, is an eastern manufacturer of electronics and happens to be the biggest producer of televisions in China. Their products are cheap, but their components aren't--assuming they've been put together correctly, these TVs will happily serve you better and longer than a Coby or Westinghouse at a similar price (and in a few cases, better than a Toshiba or Samsung at twice the price!).

BUILD
This television actually looks quite good--you wouldn't think they'd throw so much money at the design. The whole thing's plastic with a brushed aluminum finish and chrome accents, with a thick(ish) bezel around the top and sides and a thicker(ish) one on the bottom. The bezel seems smaller in real life than it does in Amazon's computer rendering, actually. The support and stand is glass, and it takes a little muscle to get them screwed together, if I'm being perfectly honest. The mounting holes aren't pre-drilled perfectly and you need to screw into the glass quite a ways in order to get the screws flush with the bottom. But that was THE most painful thing about this television.

SPEED
Boot time is fairly slow, if that's important to you. The TV will always display the "TCL" logo when you start it up, but I think that's actually pretty fetching. It reminds me of the good old days when all the video game consoles would have an intro animation... it gives the TV a sense of character and identity. Switching inputs is slower than I'm used to, as well--about 5 to 7 seconds switching between HDMI inputs. Nothing that will bother a patient person, though.

PICTURE
Holy contrast ratio, Batman! The picture on this set is great for the price! Put it next to another "budget" brand and you'll see what I mean. This TV has all the bright whites and thick blacks you would normally expect from a mid-range Samsung (and that's probably because they use the same panels!). Now, there is a little ghosting and sometimes shadow detail leaves much to be desired, but the overall picture is fantastic. Blu Ray at full HD will blow you away. For those up to a little tinkering, there are also a few different basic color options to fool around with. NOTE: When you get this TV, the picture mode will be set to "normal." If you are using a 1080p source, go ahead and use the zoom button on your remote to set the TV to "no overscan." Other companies call this "dot by dot" or "screen fit"--if you're watching full HD, you want the whole screen on there!

SOUND
This TV has a lot of sound options, including a simple equalizer--and that's a good thing, because sound out of the box is pretty horrible. When watching the Blu Ray of Planet Earth, the music and effects came across quite well even through the low-bass built in speakers, but they almost completely drowned out David Attenborough's sweet narration. I couldn't get voices to sound clear at all through those speakers, so I hooked up my home speaker system and used the settings on that to equalize the sound. I highly recommend external speakers when using this set. NOTE: This TV seems to "limit" its own sound output if the sound coming in "clips." What this results in is wild distortions in volume when the TV is set loudly. To fix this, set your TV to a low volume and crank the speakers up. That way you still have volume control through your speakers, but you won't get the distortion from the TV.

FEATURES
This television comes equipped with a few simple "smart" features to appease your neverending lust for entertainment. In case you don't have about a hundred other gadgets that can play Netflix, this TV has a Netflix app. And a YouTube app. These work predictably, although I would still much rather use my computer for streaming. As an unexpected bonus, the TV ships with a wireless USB adapter so you don't even need to use ethernet to connect it! This adapter comes in a small white box that is included with all the TV accessories and cables.

The remote is nice and sturdy, with all of the TV's complex options within reach. There are even Netflix and YouTube shortcut buttons right in the middle, so you're never too long from watching something!

This TV has many inputs (actually, this was the reason I bought it). A whopping FOUR HDMI round out a collection of VGA, optical, and audio inputs and outputs--really, anything you could possibly think of.

And that's pretty much it. Aside from the assembly difficulties--which may just be a manufacturing quirk--and wonky out-of-box sound, this is a great TV! I'm glad I didn't go bigger than this for my studio apartment. I sit right in front of it and it's huge! That said, I highly recommend getting the biggest TV your budget will allow. If that size is 40 inches, this one will be hard to beat!

~Ben

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, February 14, 2013
I really wanted to like this TV. It seemed like a great value for a smart LED TV packed with features. The first TV set arrived DOA. The red standby light came on, but the TV would not otherwise respond. After a couple of days with Amazon and TCL tech support, another TV was sent to replace it.

The second TV did turn on and scanned for the analog/digital channels. I was easily able to configure it for network settings. I was very excited, so I tried NetFlix. The NetFlix screen came up, but the progress bar just kept spinning and the TV went unresponsive. After un/re-plugging the TV, I noticed that the TV was sluggish to respond to remote or side panel selections. Several times it locked up and I had to unplug it to recover. So, I tried the Share & See feature and was able to browse my DLNA Media Server. Sadly, when I navigated down to the folder level, the TV consistently reported that there were no contents.

Amazon was really good about providing technical support and for arranging the return for refund. Maybe I just got two duds and all the rest are fine, but I doubt it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect Much for the Cost, January 25, 2014
I bought this TV about 10-12 mos ago. I wanted to upgrade my giant box to a flat screen with wi-fi abilities on a budget. For starters, when I set up the tv, I found out it wasn't really compatible with my cable remote (Comcast). Also for an HD tv, the colors were not crisp, even if I played with the various settings, which makes me wish I bought something name brand. Also, the pre-downloaded apps like NetFlix and Youtube run very slow, and the remote is not the best device to use when surfing on youtube. And sometimes Netflix will just shut off on you. Lastly, after about 6-8 months, the wi-fi receiver started acting a little glitchy, but if you disconnect it and reconnect it, you're fine. Despite all the drawbacks though, this TV is big and the apps do work about 70-80% of the time, so I figure when you compare it to other SmartTVs, for the price, it's okay. However, I'd recommend other people just buy a LED TV and invest in like a Roku (especially now that it has Youtube) or another media streaming box.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle Quality, January 20, 2013
My 1st review ever....40" VERSION....I have this unit mounted right above A year old 32" TCL. I say this only so readers will know where my comparisons come from.
Video;
I'm still having difficulty getting acceptable skin tones. It took awhile on the 32" so I imagine this 40" will dial in also. On very dark scenes you can see the LED backlighting peeking out on the edge's of the screen, no biggie, but it is visible. I don't think I will ever get the clarity and texture that I do w/the TCL L32HDF11TA 32-Inch and it's only 720P.

Audio;
Nothing much to write home about. Same low fidelity I'm used to from low wattage and tiny speakers. It does have A 5 band EQ to try and fine tune to your ears. The biggest 'erk' I have w/audio is that it does not sync up with ANY other A/v devices I use, including the other TCL tv.

Other Stuff;
All Ap's work.Tough typing Youtube search's with the onscreen keyboard, but it does work (they coulda/shoulda allowed USB keyboard use). So far haven't found a way to hide unused inputs when switching inputs. It makes A good bedroom Tv mounted above A 32", using either for cable or internet as needed. At $349. I thought it A bargain...At $605. I would not have opened the page. b4 pasteing this i see the price dropped to 581. lots of price movement

5.0 out of 5 stars TCL 40 inch smart TV, November 19, 2012
Bought as a gift. Recipients are more than pleased with the quality of both the sound and picture. Fits great in a bedroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust this warranty!!!, June 10, 2014
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! If you use the warranty as a reason to feel good about buying this product then buy something else. You will spend forever trying to get anything done. They will do whatever it takes not to fix or replace this product! Customer service is horrible I would trust a street vendor before I will trust this company again. If you buy from this company then you do it at your own risk!!!