Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TCP 14-Watt Soft White Compact Fluorescent Flood Light Bulb (6 Pack)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2010
I have been using these TCP compact fluorescent floods for one year now. I originally bought a CARTON/BOX full of them, which (if I recall) is something like 48 bulbs. I installed them in our new 6,000 sq.ft. home, which has around 40 ceiling cans. After a year of use, I can honestly report the following:

1) The bulbs are very dim when first energized, and require a minute or more to reach a usable brightness level.
2) Many of these bulbs fail prematurely (6 out of 40, so far) due to their cheap electronic ballast. I've given up on contacting TCP and getting replacement bulbs - after two calls (and two dead bulbs), the gal thought I was lying and trying to get free bulbs.
3) As they age, these bulbs assume an ugly yellow color while "warming up" (remember... it takes a minute or more for them to actually reach a usable light output and a white color). If you replace one in an area with several, it is very noticeable! The old ones will light up "yellow" and dim, while the new one will light up "white" and dim, but warm up much faster than the old ones.

I was hoping TCP produced a quality product, but it's obvious now that they use the cheapest (and under-rated) materials possible. It's been a pain replacing these bulbs, given that I have 10' ceilings in most rooms, and 30' vaulted ceilings in the entry and stairway area.

Are they a good deal? Only if you get them at a very discounted price (which I did) and you buy 15% more than you need, as replacement stock. My outside ones (in a covered area, not exposed to water) only lasted two months! I'm putting incandescents back into those areas, as I'm tired of changing bulbs and wasting my money on TCP's.
1717 comments|193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2010
Coming from years of lighting sales I know to "burn in" fluorescent bulbs by leaving them on for 12hrs the first time, that's supposed to fix the slow-start issue. These take at least 2 - 3 minutes to go from dim to bright. Once bright they look really good, but they take too long for our bathroom, people are done in there before the lights come on

I would say to use these for lights that are on all the time, but if you turn them off and on regularly, they are no good at all.
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2010
Pros:
-All 18 are still working after 8 weeks
-Price

Cons:
-Hard to believe these are 2700
-Regardless of how they rank to others of the same type, the room is still very dark when I flip the switch. Have had times when I will just turn the lights on early in anticipation of needing the room which, of course, defeats some of the energy savings. All 18 behave the same so this is by design.
on December 31, 2010
Early death for 2 out of 3. #3 has lasted quite a while, but takes many minutes to warm up, with a dim sickly glow during the warm-up phase. Stay away.
on March 15, 2011
Originally I thought these were a good buy. 2 months later, 3 of them have burned out.

Spend the money and get a decent brand such as GE.
on August 27, 2010
At the time of this review, these bulbs are selling for way cheaper than any comparable bulbs I've found. I've had them installed for just a few hours and they are working well so far. All bulbs arrived in working conditions and they warm up pretty quickly.

My only complaint is that the color of the light seems a little cooler than 2700k. Not by that much, but it's noticeable to someone like me who really likes warm light.
The distinguishing feature of my home is all the recessed flood lighting. Every room has it. Most are on dimmers. I swapped out all my incandescent bulbs for these and they lasted a couple months. I purchased many of these 6-bulb boxes.

All my bulbs (lots of them) worked at first. This was never a perfect solution for dimmable flood lighting like what I have. The bulbs tend to flicker and make a slight humming noise when I accidentally move the dimmer switch. Sometimes they do this even when the switch is not moved. I can usually remedy this by moving the dimmer switch to the other extreme. Also, these bulbs take anywhere from 3 to 4 minutes to get fully bright. They provide white light just like fluorescent lighting in my office - but not immediately.

At first I thought I had made my kitchen - and entire house - into an office environment with these bulbs. My dimmer switches are too easy to move whenever I fat-finger the regular light switch, making these bulbs flicker. Everybody knows how vexing fluorescent lights are when they flicker.

I mention the above to demonstrate the reality of switching to CFL flood bulbs. I don't regret swapping out the incandescent bulbs for these most of the time. That's because my monthly electric bills were killing me. LED flood bulbs are still relatively expensive. These CFL flood bulbs can save money until the LED bulbs are hopefully cheaper - only when the last.

The problem I had with these CFL flood bulbs is that they don't last. They flicker a lot, get stressed out, and usually make a big noise when they die. I've been replacing them with incandescent flood light bulbs, the ones I originally had. Unfortunately, the CFL flood bulbs didn't work for me and continue to fail.
on December 7, 2010
Pros:
1. Good price - even cheaper now than when I bought the first batch.
2. Good color - not incandescent warm, but warmer than other CFLs we have.

Con:
1. One burned out after 3 days. The other 13 installed still going strong though.
2. They take a while to fully light. Someone said 20 seconds. Our experience is closer to 45-60 seconds.
on April 24, 2013
I'm all about saving money on the electric bill, but these lights are frustratingly slow to warm up. I'd love to convert all my recessed lighting to LED, but that would cost at least 5 times more than these. I really hope the cost of LEDs come down soon.
On a positive note, these CFL's do produce a "warm" light very similar to standard tungsten bulbs.

To make the review more quantitative...
When you first turn the bulb on, it does turn on instantly, but produces less than 50% of its rated light output (lumens). To reach nearly full brightness, it takes a little over 30 seconds to "warm up".

If that's something you can live with to save a few bucks on your monthly electric bill then go for it.

Money savings scenario for my situation:
Light is typically on an average of 6 hours/day
This bulb uses 51 fewer watts than the tungsten equivalent
That equates to 306 fewer watt/hours per day
~30 days in a billing cycle = 9.2 kWh less per bill
Electric company charges ~$0.12/kWh = $1.10 savings per month PER BULB
I replaced six bulbs, so I should theoretically be saving over $6/month.
That means these bulbs should pay themselves off in just over 4 months.

Also, something that seems to be overlooked in these discussions, CFL's produce significantly less heat than tungsten. That means that during the summer months, the A/C has to turn on less frequently to compensate, therefor saving even more money, albeit indirectly.
on December 17, 2010
Good light output on 14w, however the warm-up time on these bulbs is significant. Best used where they will be on all day.