5.0 out of 5 stars Work great with CenturyLink! FASTER!
This ADSL Modem is work well with CenturyLink.
I hate to pay the bill for their modem, that cost me about $4 monthly. So, when I ordered this modem and I'm really satisfied!
It's really faster than a regular ZyXEL ADSL modem (EQ660R). Unbelievable FAST! And it won't slow me down.
My internet speed is 4Mbps...
Published on February 23, 2012 by Mr. Lopez

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even Tech Support
Like many others that have AT&T as their ISP I have a Motorola 2210 DSL Modem. Needless to say, the Motorola is garbage. Like so many others my Motorola Modem has begun to die a slow death after only ONE YEAR and at a cost of $87. I am not happy.

The TP-Link TD-8817 is NOT supported by AT&T even though the box says it is compatible. I worked with TP-Link...
Published 20 months ago by AJShadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great with CenturyLink! FASTER!, February 23, 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK TD-8616 ADSL2+ Modem, Up to 24Mbps Downstream Bandwidth, 6KV Lightning Protection (Personal Computers)
This ADSL Modem is work well with CenturyLink.
My internet speed is 4Mbps.
Don't forget to download LATEST VERSION of FIRMWARE. It's important!
How does it work? I will show you how to set up this modem.
STEPS:
1. Plug Ethernet (LAN) cable to this Modem and to your computer(Laptop or Desktop) LAN port,
2. Make sure that "ADSL" links are SOLID (GREEN).
3. Open a browser (Ex. Internet Explorer or other browsers)(there is no internet yet),
4. just type on the web address box: >>>>*** If this isn't working, read my "***NOTE***" below ****<<<<
Type: 192.168.1.1
Press Enter key on your keyboard.
5. A new window appears "Authentication Required"
The following are default the username and password:
Username: admin
Password: admin
Press Enter
To login to your TP-Link Modem.
6. Change settings:
Click on "Statistics" tab:
Virtural Circuit: "PVC1" instead "PVC0"
7. Save it.
8. Click "Basic Setup" tab
9. Again, Virtual Circuit: PVC1 then click "Save" button.
Refresh your browser and make sure it show
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

10. Open a browser, is there still NO internet connection? If no, you need to set up a new IP address. Very simple...
***For Windows XP Only***
Start, Run, Type " cmd ", press enter. Go to "Command Prompt" below.
***For New Windows Version Only(Vista, 7, & 8.1)***
To run Command Prompt as an administrator

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button.
In the search box, type " command prompt "

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt,
and then click "Run as administrator."
Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Go to "Command Prompt" below.
Command Prompt
-----------------------
Type: "ipconfig /release" and press Enter

It should read:
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0 so on...

Type: "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter.
By now, the network should have assigned a new IP address to your computer automatically.
----------------
After you got a new IP address.
That's it. Open a browser. There you go.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***NOTE***
If step #4 isn't working, you need to change your IP Address in Windows.
To change your network IP address in Windows XP, Vista, or 7:

1. Go to your desktop, and right-click on something called "Open Network Connections" or "My Network Places"
(If you're using Windows Vista or 7, look for the Network and Sharing Center through Control Panel)

2. Click Properties. You should now see something called Local Area Connection or something similar

3. Right-click on your connection (titled Local Area Connection if you're using an ethernet cable)
and click Properties

4. Under the General tab, double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

5. A new window appears. On its own General tab, click the box beside "Use the following IP address"

6. Type in ones until you fill the box up (it should read "IP Address: 192.168.1.2")

7. Press Tab. You'll notice the Subnet Mask section automatically fills up with numbers
(it should read "Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0")(Don't change this!)

8. Type in ones until you fill the box up (it should read "Default gateway: 192.168.1.1")

9. Click OK

10. Click OK to bring you back to the "Local Area Connection" screen
Go to Step #4.
------------------------------------
***When you're done after Step #9, go back to your Network settings.
1. Right-click Local Area Connection and Click on Properties again

2. Again, under the General tab, double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

3. Select "Obtain an IP address automatically"

4. Click OK

5. Click OK

6. Go to Step #10.

Note: If you want to add another router like a Wireless or Wired router. You need to repeat Step #10.

I hope this will help you.
-------Updated on March 4, 2012-----------------------------------------
No cap letter "A"
-------Updated on October 8, 2013---------------------------------------
Revived my review
-Added more details

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap bridge modem; does its job; bad instructions; no support; 4.5 stars, May 1, 2012
Garret Wilson (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Let me be clear: this is just a modem that will bridge to your router. This is in fact exactly what I wanted, because I have PPPoE and all routing/NAT on my wireless router, so I didn't need all that other stuff on my modem. A Motorola modem from AT&T was going to cost me $80 with tax. This TP-Link is a steal.

That being said, the instructions aren't quite correct. For Windows XP and Vista the manual shows that you need to manually set a static IP address on your computer to log into the modem. For Windows 7 it indicates that you should set your computer to retrieve an IP address automatically. That is not true (this modem doesn't do DHCP). And don't plan on calling tech support; the 24/7 tech support number told me no one was available. For that I dinged it a half star.

To set it up you'll need the ADSL VPI and VCI settings from your provider. I had never heard of these, but you can find a list at e.g. [...] . The default settings of 0/35 work just fine with AT&T, so I actually could have plugged it in and not changed anything---a plug-and-play bridge. I logged in and changed the IP address, though---it comes configured to 192.168.1.1.

In all, you can't beat the price and it does what it's supposed to do. If you don't need instructions or tech support, you're good to go.

And no, the version I received doesn't look like the picture, thankfully---just a handsome medium-sized black box.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a good modem, January 21, 2011
Bill Cashin (Augusta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Works fine with ATT (Bellsouth) in Augusta GA in PPPOE Bridge mode. Cheapest one I could find. No complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for CenturyLink, great value, February 20, 2013
Nikwax (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I wanted a simple modem to go along with my existing Apple router/WAP (Apple Time Capsule). With my CenturyLink supplied login and password, I had my network up and running in a matter of a very few minutes. Apple hardware makes it very easy to set up the PPPoE configuration (I tried it both with my Apple Time Capsule router and with my Mac). Works great so far, very inexpensive.

Comes with an ethernet cable, a short RJ-11 cable, a miniscule Quick Start guide for Windows, and a manual on one of those tiny CD's that get stuck in your computer. We don' need no stinkin' manuals. And you don't, as there is nothing to configure on the modem, it simply converts the DSL signal into something your computer can use and delivers an IP address from your ISP, and will typically auto-configure the VPI and VCI ports. All other configuration is done on your router or your computer for CenturyLink service. If you really do want the manual, it is available online.

Note: this is only a modem. It is not a router, a firewall, or a wireless access point. If you only need a DSL modem, this is a good choice. If you are looking for an all-in-one solution, look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Embarq 660r Replacement on Centurylink DSL, July 6, 2012
I recently upgraded my DSL to 8Mb. Pricing for the new speed includes a separate charge for the DSL modem. I had a Embarq 660r router configured to run in bridged mode so all I need is a bridged ADSL2+ modem.

The only configuration I did was changing the modems IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 which is the same as the 660r. (This allows me to access it on the wan port of my TomatoUSB based router)

I then plugged it into my router and phone line. It then connected to Centurylink at 8Mb with no further configuration needed.

If it stands up to the test of time, I couldn't have made a better choice.

For all the geeks out there that are unfamiliar with access to a bridged modem on the wan port there is a DD-WRT Wiki that tells you how. In TomatoUSB, my commands to allow access to 192.168.2.1 are:

INIT Script:
sleep 10
ifconfig vlan2:0 192.168.2.2

Firewall Script:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o vlan2 -d 192.168.1.1 -j MASQUERADE

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy, October 8, 2011
The image isn't quite correct as I expected, but it was a simple modem. First one failed within the week, but I was able to easily RMA it. If you have your own router and plan to attach this modem to your router and not directly to your PC, DO NOT follow the installation instructions. Simply hook it up to the router then go to your router login page and set up the username and password for the DNS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup and worked perfectly, July 29, 2012
I was worried this product would be problems with Centurylink DSL because it's not listed as compatible on Centurylinks website. The box, however, calls it a Centurylink Embarq and says it will work, and indeed it does. Only a minor setup issue (the software that was supposed to do it automatically did not). The setup has 4 choices for Centurylink, and I had to find the right one by trial and error. However, after that it worked perfectly and had no problem connecting with my external router (also a TP Link). I have 10mbps service and the modem is handling that with no problem. I'm only getting .75mbps upload, but that's a Centurylink issue.

There is both an ethernet and a USB port on this device. Strangely, the USB port is only a 1.1 version. I don't use it.

For $30 you can't go wrong here.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to setup with CenturyLink..., September 23, 2013
I was very very close to giving up on this modem after scouring the reviews and the internet for directions to set it up. Background; I have CenturyLink's 20mbps adsl service that came with the Zyxel piece of garbage as many people receive. I have a cisco E3500 router that I wanted to setup with a basic modem.

I tried just plugging it in and that certainly did not work. I then followed Mr. Lopez's review to no avail. My computer would not even connect to the router to login and change the settings... But I finally found what worked so let me share:

1. First you must call CenturyLink and ask for the PPP username and password, which they generally will provide with no hassle.
2. You must set a static IP address to change the settings on the modem correctly by going to Network settings>LAN settings>IPV4 properties. Then set it to manual IP and set the IP to 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway and DNS of 192.168.1.1.
3. Now follow Mr. Lopez's review for instructions on changing your modem settings. However, DO NOT TURN THE MODEM OFF, for some reason this resets the settings.
4. Once you have setup the modem correctly, go to your router and plug a LAN from the modem to the internet port of the router and assign the IP address on the router's settings page to something other than 192.168.1.1 (this is the modem's IP).
5. Enter the PPP username and password into your router (NOTE: I say this because when I used the modem without a router, and tried entering PPP settings into windows 7, for some reason it would not connect, yet somehow it works with PPP settings entered into a router).
6. That's it! Internet works!

By no means an easy setup since I had to find most of this information in pieces on the internet and try everything myself (which is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5). It's odd that others here have gotten this modem to work without having to go through this trouble. So far the internet speeds are better than with the ISP provided modem/router. I'll update if something goes wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, August 22, 2013
Works on CenturyLink with a little effort. I run Macs at home and neither of them like the little tiny setup "CD" they send for set up. So I was left with the set up wizard. The wizard is a bit confusing and for some reason I couldn't get it to work at first. So I called up Centurylink tech support and got a not so helpful guy named Scott. It's crazy to me that people can call themselves IT when they don't even know that DHCP loosely translates to Dynamic IP. I knew in my area Centurylink uses Dynamic IP addresses and the modems you get from them are plug and play. But after having four of their "approved" modems over the past two years I felt it was time for a change. I'm hoping this one holds out a little longer but I won't hold my breathe at least it's over half the price of the other ones! So anyway Scott read me his script and was intrigued enough to google some spec on my TP-Link TP-8817 and ran through the same spec sheet I had already looked at. In the end proved no help and offered to transfer me to a better "specialist" which of course was a dial tone. Thumbs down Scott!

So I figured I would give TP-Link tech support a call. David was just about as much help as Google and in the end sent me to the same specialist line that Scott did...another thumbs down!

I did end up getting the modem to work and I came to give a quick run down for others who might give up on this cheap little jewel and send it back. Again this is for Centurylink I am not sure if these steps work with other providers.

1: Plug all cords in (Phone line, power, ethernet) plug the other end of the ethernet to computer or laptop

2: type 192.168.1.1 into address bar and enter admin to both user name and password

3: click on quick start - click run wizard next- input your time zone next - click Dynamic IP next- 1483 Bridged IP LLC VPI 8 VCI 35 next to finish.

4: unplug ethernet from back of computer if you are going to use a router and plug it in there

Pretty simple right? After two failed tech calls and a LOT of false information from Scott at Centurylink ("I don't know what VPI/VCI is sir" "it's definitely not a bridged connection sir it's DHCP" to name a couple) i ended up trying hundreds of different worded searches to Google and figured out the right combo. I hope this helps someone as almost every google search for this modem brought me right back to Amazon where I bought it from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ATT DSL, September 10, 2013
Took longer to open the package then to get the modem up and running. I have ATT DSL with a Belkin router. I just plugged the wires into the modem, turned it on, and it connected to ATT. No settings to change. Works great so far

Rate and Discover Movies