5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully this will answer a lot of your questions!
Just got this TDK A34 within the last few days and I wanted to review it so everyone will know the differences between this and the TDK A33....here's what's clearly evident.

Published 3 months ago by Julie

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound! TERRIBLE BATTERY!!!
This one will be getting returned. I searched high and low for an excellent indoor/outdoor speaker and after hearing the A33 in the store and reading the reviews both here and on CNET I chose to purchase this.

Published 1 month ago by theKmish

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully this will answer a lot of your questions!, June 9, 2014
This review is from: TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker (Electronics)

First, and I think foremost, the biggest upgrade is the Reverse (Back) - Pause - Forward buttons on the top of this speaker. To skip to the next song or go backward to the previous song is quick and easy to use...It only goes back or forward one whole song not a partial song. It's a nice feature that was missing on the A33. The other upgrade might be battery life because I got a solid 8 hours off my battery charge when others with the A33 seemed to think they weren't getting that; HOWEVER....(there's ALWAYS a however...)...I was using it for the most part at 1/2 volume. I'll explain volume later.

Now for my honest thoughts about this speaker. On the top there is a power button, a volume - button and a volume + button, a Bluetooth button, a speaker phone button and then the back button, pause button and forward button. Above the volume - and + buttons there are five (5) volume lights. Each light seems to have six (6) settings when you press the + or - volume button. Or, to be clearer, when you hit the volume the first light will shine and it will get brighter and louder six times then the second light lights up and can go up 6 increments and so forth. It can get loud....I seriously don't think head banging loud as with big accessory speakers but way loud enough for anything I can think of that you would need.

As for room filling.....yes.......It can fill a room. The room I've mostly played it in is 25' x 25' with 11" peak ceiling and it fills it nicely and, personally, that's exactly what I wanted. My "comfortable" volume setting in this room is at 2-1/2 to 3 lights if that makes sense......1/2 volume maximum. This is where my good battery life might come into play giving me 8 hours maximum just as stated in the description because it is only at 1/2 volume....I would think the louder the volume the less battery life but there is no way I could listen to it full out in that room for any length of time to test that. I personally think 8 hours is good enough and if you're in the house you can always just plug it in and play from the AC power adapter. If you need louder...there's no way to connect additional speakers,

Songs on your phone wrap.......so at the end of your list, they start over again. My corded player doesn't do that....all yours might......mine didn't........so I like that a lot.

It comes with an AC power adapter for charging but there is a 1.0A power slot for charging off your computer. Nice to have both options...I prefer the AC power adapter because I have enough of things charging off my computer as it is... Poor thing needs a break......:) Plus if you take it somewhere a computer may not be available. Speaking of taking it somewhere, it is weighty but a good weighty, and solid. Maybe not backpacking long trips but it is small enough to put in a backpack; measures about 9-1/2" long x 4" tall x almost 2" wide. Nice to look at. Rubber feet help keep it sturdy on your surface.

I'm not sure if you can do this with all wireless speakers but you can charge it and continue to play at the same time.

The instructions/directions about charging are misleading....First.....I found it best to charge with the switch set to off (this switch is on the side of the speaker covered with a rubber "door" for splash purposes). A red light will light but the red light does not magically change to amber when done charging. The red light goes to black when charged. The light WILL turn yellow when it is turned back on however......If I remember correctly the instructions/directions say the red light will turn to amber (yellow) when charged and, technically, it will be yellow but not until you turn it back on. Seriously....A lot of people were making a big thing of this with the A33......not a big thing.......

I followed instructions about syncing my phone and it worked like a charm......one thing though.....(I just couldn't say however again...:) a lot of this stuff isn't instantaneous so just give it a full blink of an eye to do it's stuff. I should work effortlessly.

Outside listening is good. I didn't and won't try the splash test......but if things ever do get "out of control" and a splash happens I'll let you know...:)

NOW......my only.....hmmm.....not complaint......more of a.....learning curve.....is the Power button. Almost everything I own I kind of hold the button down for a second until I hear/see/feel something.......not with this thing. The button is sensitive but not super sensitive. Here's what you have to do....press the power button gently for a second and then take your finger off it and wait......it will take a second for the volume lights to light up and then the Bluetooth to blink a few times and then beep when it finds your phone again. You only have to sync your phone manually the first time. It will then find it on it's own after that. I had a hard time mentally with this power button the first few times....So remember, gently press the power button, take you finger off and wait a second.....This is just different from ANYTHING I have....but that's my biggest issue with this thing and after a few Power Ups, I got used to it......As for distance, I think that is going to be a difficult thing to measure because everyone's space is different and will be just too variable, but I did go through the kitchen, down the hall and then downstairs before it started to get interrupted......

Summary: So, after all that, I have to say this is a really nice speaker. Because I knew I wouldn't be buying another speaker again anytime in the near future I decided in the end I would buy what I wanted the first time so I did compare the TDK to Bose Mini, Jawbone JAMBOX and a Sony Portable Bluetooth with NFC. and maybe....maybe....other than volume, and since I didn't turn the TDK A34 full tilt for any length of time I can't be sure, but I didn't find any difference at all in this TDK A34 when I compared them. Bose is listening to its younger customers (a good thing) who want bass with some more bass and then just a little more bass but that's not what I need for my listening experience and with the TDK A34 being 1/2 the price I know I did the right thing. In my opinion, for overall performance, this a really good speaker. My initial test was on Iggy Azalea's "Fancy", then Pavarotti's "Nessun Dorma", REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling", to good ole Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar" and last but not least Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise"....and they all sound about as good as they can with a wireless speaker. If you have any questions that are stopping you from buying this remember Amazon will let you ask questions of people that have purchased these and I believe most people try to be honest and are just trying to be helpful. HAPPY LISTENING......to whatever your music choices are.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, July 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're like me, you've noticed a deluge of bluetooth speakers hitting the stores. I've tried to listen to almost everyone of them, and I noticed a weird phenomenon. The best speakers I've tested aren't from the big companies like Beats, Jawbone, or Bose. The best bluetooth speakers are from relatively little-known companies with diminutive marketing budgets. The best bluetooth speakers I've tested are from companies like UE(Ultimate Ears), House of Marley, and Sony--Sony being the only large company. I've owned thousands of TDK products in my life--all of them being storage media (eg. Cr02 blank cassettes, CD-R and DVD-R). I've never owned or thought to own an electronics product created by TDK. Considering the trend, then this should be the best bluetooth speaker I've ever tested. Let's find out.

The first thing I noticed was just how small this speaker is. It's a tad smaller than the Bose Soundlink III. The second thing I noticed was how heavy this speaker is. A lot of industrial engineering has been put to good use here. The weight is very evenly distributed side-to-side and top-to-bottom. This speaker feels like a high quality product the second you hold it. Majority of the surface of the speaker is a thick metal grill that wraps around the front and back of the speakers. The remainder of the speaker is a combination of piano-black edging and firm silicon. The silicon is important for sealing the speaker from water. This is a weather resistant speaker. It's not rated for submersion, but it can handle the incidental raindrops and poolside splash. On the top, there is a very efficient button-array. There are the requisite bluetooth, power, and volume buttons. Additionally, there is a phone button which makes answering calls very convenient. The speaker performs very well as a speakerphone. There are next and previous track buttons, as well as a pause/play button. Pretty much every button you will need and nothing else. This speaker additionally support NFC for easy syncing. Just tap the back of your phone on the NFC label, and your phone or portable music player will link up with the speaker. On the side, there is a usb (power only) port for charging devices. It's not the 2.0 amps that I'd prefer, but it provides a serviceable 1.0 amps of current. This isn't a gig though because 1 amp is plenty enough to maintain your phone's charge while streaming media. There is also a 3.5mm jack for those who want to use a cable for connecting to this speaker. Before I go into the sound quality, I wanted to cover a couple of other quick specifications. The first is that this speaker only supports bluetooth 2.1. I'd prefer bluetooth 4.0 for the energy efficiency or bluetooth 3.0 for the larger bandwidth, but the implementation of bluetooth 2.1 does not adversely effect the performance of this speaker--in terms of both sound and battery life. This speaker lasts about 8 hours on battery, and the volume is not throttled down when running on battery like many other devices I've tested. To sum up the looks and specs, this speaker has pretty much everything you need and nothing you don't in a very small and high-quality package.

The sound is where this speaker just floored me. First off, this speaker is LOUD, and as I mentioned during my rundown of the specs, the volume does not throttle on battery. The speaker is ridiculously loud whether on battery or plugged into an outlet. Not only is this speaker ridiculously loud, but the sound also travels. Not just the highs or just the lows, but the entire sound spectrum travels, so if you are in a large open area, this speaker will fill the space with ease. Although not truly omni-directional, this speaker does provide good sound all around the speaker. This speaker uses three separate drivers. Two subwoofers for the lows, and one multi-gradient driver for the mids and highs. The two bass exhausts are located on the back-side of the speaker. So now that I've covered the quantity of sound, let's examine the quality of sound. Prior to getting my hands on the TDK TREK, my three favorite bluetooth speakers were the UE Boom, House of Marley Get Together, and the Sony SRSX7. I am not a huge fan of Bose, Jawbone or Beats speakers. Bose is the best of these overpriced marketing baubles, and the Soundlink III is a vast improvement over the Soundlink II, but I find my three favorites to far exceed the Bose speakers in value and in performance. I won't even go into what I think of Jawbone and Beats. So where does this TDK fit in? Well, I'm happy to report that this is, in my opinion, the new king of sound in the bluetooth speaker market. Everything is there: the highs are crystal, the mids are rich, and the bass is thumping. This speaker is beautifully tuned, and the sound integrity is maintained at all volumes. No distortion was audible even at maximum volume. Every song I throw at it sounds good--classic rock, classical, modern rock, pop, hip-hop. It really is remarkable how such a rich and powerful sound emanates from such a small device. Simply sublime.

So let's wrap this up. We have here a speaker that lasts 8 hours on battery, is weatherproof, has all the necessary features, sounds better than any bluetooth speaker out there, and comes in a slick ultra-portable form factor. What am I forgetting? Oh yeah, and it's currently selling for half the price of its more expensive rivals. If you are even thinking about buying a bluetooth speaker, give this a go. With this speaker, you can have your cake and eat it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable sound, June 17, 2014
This is the best portable speaker you can buy. Bass is great. Excellent for outdoors. I love that you can replace the battery after a few years, unlike most speakers.
Just be sure to disconnect any other device that was previously connected to it via Bluetooth, or else it will cut out. Other than that, the wireless connection is seamless with my iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Features, Same Outstanding Sound from the TDK Life on Record TREK Max, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 is the newest version of the TDK A33, a highly-rated Bluetooth speaker that flies somewhat under the radar when compared to speakers from Bose, Jawbone, Ultimate Ears, Sony, and others. I have a number of Bluetooth speakers, including the A33, and count it among my favorites as it produces outstanding sound, is built ruggedly, and gets good battery life.

TDK made some changes to the TREK Max A34. The speaker now has near field communications (NFC), so if you have an Android device with NFC pairing is easy. Additionally, TDK added track skip buttons at the top to skip forward or backward quickly through songs, or to skip tracks. The TREK Max is splash resistant, (P64 certified weatherized design protect against splashing water and dust) and has a jack to charge a USB device, as well as an input for non-Bluetooth devices.
Another change from the A33, according to the TDK website, for iDevices (iPhone, iPod, and iPad) the volume controls on the TREK Max and the iDevice are now synced, so changing the volume on either device will change the indicators on the other.

From a size and weight perspective, little has changed with the TREK Max A34. It is slightly taller than the A33, and looks a bit sleeker. Both speakers are heavy (the TREK Max A34 is 2.75 pounds) and both are very well built. The A34's rechargeable nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries are replaceable, and on its website TDK says battery life has been improved on the TREK Max (up to eight hours on a single charge).

The A34 produces the same outstanding sound as the A33. I have been testing this speaker with a number of different music types, and the A34 performs very well. I would characterize the A34 as a "warm" sounding speaker that emphasizes bass. The speaker thumps and vibrates but does not distort, even at very high volumes. Highs are crisp and clear, and mids don't get lost. The speaker does particularly well with genres as R&B and disco, but does equally well with classical, jazz, and rock. The A34 puts out 15 watts of sound.

The TDK A33 is a very good Bluetooth speaker, and the TDK A34 TREK Max continues that excellent tradition. The speaker is very well built, travels well, especially at outdoor events like picnics or the backyard, and produces outstanding room-filling sound. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound! TERRIBLE BATTERY!!!, July 31, 2014
theKmish "TK" (THE HAWKEYE STATE) - See all my reviews

First off, I may preface by stating that I possibly got a lemon. I'll get to that. When I got it, I was eager to hear what it sounded like so I plugged it in in my great room. It filled the room well and sounded as expected. The bass response is acceptable for my liking, tight/punchy/responsive, as I was impressed with the sound from the lows. The mids were a bit muffled and the highs were a bit lacking. Though vocals were clear. Overall, I'd give the sound a solid 3.5/5. I would prefer a little more on the treble end of the spectrum, but all in all I was quite pleased with the sound signature.

I would have happily kept this as it fit exactly what I was looking for. Indoor/outdoor use. Great sound. Small and portable. However, after leaving the speaker on the charger for the entire first night I decided to unplug it and take it along to my mens golf league the following day. My buddies were impressed with the sound and praised my purchase! That said, by hole #4, after approximately 1 hour, the speaker turned off and would turn back on but then turn off again after 4 minutes. Battery=dead. During that hour, the volume was never turned above 50%!! Duped again by a NiMH battery!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, TDK just make it right and put a Lithium in this thing!!! If I return this and get a replacement, I will update my review if the new speaker is better!! But hard to keep something that doesn't work as expected

4.0 out of 5 stars A comparison of seven bluetooth speakers, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the last couple years, I’ve reviewed new fewer than six bluetooth speakers. It seems that every electronics manufacturer wants in on this new trend. Some of these speakers require AC power (like certain models by Panasonic and Hercules) and many are battery powered (like those by Jawbone, Bose, Klipsch, and Edifier). Now I’ve received the TDK TREK Max for review, so … let the comparisons begin!

First of all, this is the only speaker of the (now seven) models I’ve tested that is “weatherproof.” It’s unclear what weatherproof means, since it changes depending upon what part of the literature you read. In some places, like the product listing, the speaker is able withstand “the harshest conditions.” In other places, like the manual, it’s merely water-resistant. I would guess that this can get a little rain water blown on it, but submerging it in a pool or a bathtub is probably not a good idea. At any rate, you can take this outside without worrying if it gets a little banged up, apparently.

In terms of size, weight, and loudness potential, this sits somewhere between the Jawbone Jambox (smaller, ca. $150), the Klipsch Gig (same size, $200), the Bose Soundlink (same size, $300), and the Edifier MP260 (smaller, $100). Each of these are functionally similar, and most allow you to receive calls, thereby acting as a fancy speakerphone. Each claim to offer around 8 hours of battery life on a single charge.

Within these similar products, there is a surprisingly large range in terms of sound quality. The Jambox sounds good, but it’s smaller and not as loud. The Bose has a characteristically bright sound that appeals mostly to older listeners who have some naturally-occuring hearing loss in the upper frequencies. The Edifier is the smallest and quietest with the weakest bass response. The Klipsch, to my ears, offers the most neutral sound with a wonderful, well-balanced midrange and a full sounding low end.

Where then does the TDK TREK Max fit in this spectrum? In terms of sound quality, it’s not stellar. The highs sound muffled, as if someone had placed a heavy blanket over the tweeters. (To be clear, this system uses full range drivers, so there aren’t actually tweeters. This is just to illustrate how the highs sound muffled). The midrange is a little better, and the lower you get in the frequency spectrum, the more clear the speakers sound. The bass is surprisingly present. It’s not a huge system, but the amount of bass it produces belies is actual size.

The real place where the TDK excels is in volume level. This plays a lot louder than you would expect. It’s certainly enough to fill a regular-sized room. You lose some of the impact when you take this outdoors, but this is natural. Without reflective surfaces, the sound just radiates into the atmosphere. However, since it produces a fairly powerful sound in and of itself, it should play satisfactorily loud (for most people) outside. I didn’t have any complaints.

Not much is provided in the way of accessories. Many of the speakers I’ve mentioned come with bags for carrying, but not the TDK. It’s not a huge deal, but it’s a point of comparison. The supplied documentation is fine. Nothing too verbose, but it tells you what you need to know.

One thing that I like are the controls. Too many of these speakers rely on only a few buttons that have numerous functions. The Klipsch is particularly annoying in this regard because it has, essentially, one button that does everything. Thus, you end up having to hold it in different places for varying amounts of time. I hate that. Give me different buttons for different functions! The TDK has all the buttons that I want to see on a bluetooth speaker: power, volume, pairing, and a few others. You turn the unit on, press the pairing button, and it connects quickly and easily.

In terms of sound quality, I would highly recommend the Klipsch because even though its controls annoy me, it produces a beautiful, well-balanced sound with plenty of volume. However, if you want to use your bluetooth speaker outside and don’t want to worry about shielding it from the elements, this is a reasonable compromise. In this case, it’s not so much about the sound quality as it is about the convenience of having a weatherproof/resistant speaker. Since I see no reason to spend more on a Jawbone or a Bose, I can recommend this pretty easily.

Basically, you need to figure out what you want from your bluetooth speaker. If you want something that sounds good, get the Klipsch Gig. If you’re elderly, get the Bose. If you want something stylish, get the Jawbone. If you want something for outdoors, get the TDK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brick with high-fidelity stereo sound, July 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With TDK's name on the TREK Max A34, I expected to hear first rate audio, and I did. After pairing the speaker with my Android phone as device "TREK Max," I streamed some classical music from iHeartRadio, then went through one of my favorite playlists of mixed music. Everything I played sounded excellent. I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but I've been listening to music since the days of 78 RPM phonograph records, so I've played music over a lot of different speakers, and the sound from the TREK Max A34 is as rich as I've heard from a small portable speaker, and at maximum volume, the 15 watts total sound will easily fill any room in most homes. I checked the stereo channel balance and separation and verified that the left and right channels were playing through the corresponding speakers, which they were. The controls are very intuitive for anyone who's familiar with Bluetooth speakers, and none of the controls have the double functions that are so confusing with many portable speakers

The Bluetooth range and stability were good, with a line of sight distance of at least 25-30 feet before I noticed any dropouts. With a couple of interior walls between my phone and the speaker, however, the range was reduced to as little as 20 feet. If you have the speaker paired with your mobile phone, it works as a hands-free device with a built-in microphone. One press of a button on the speaker, and you're connected to an incoming call.

The product description refers to the TREK Max 34 as being water resistant with an IP64 rating. International Protection Marking codes, also known as IP codes, classify and rate the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of dust and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. The IP64 rating is fairly high, signifying that the case is dustproof, and that it provides protection against splashing water.

I didn't see the capacity of the speaker's built-in battery listed in the user manual or the product description, but the run time is listed as up to 8 hours. I checked this after charging the speaker's battery, and it played for just over 8 hours before the battery died.

The TREK Max A34 speaker has the best sound I've heard in a portable speaker in this price range. At 2.7 pounds, it's not as easily portable as smaller speakers weighing less than a pound, but the audio quality more than makes up for the extra weight and size. And with an IP64 rating, it's ideal for dusty or damp conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the wife of an industrial designer.... it's NICE, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing my industrial designer/ Marine hubby said when he opened the box was "Wow!" The weight is substantial. It FEELS nicely made, high quality.

The buttons are smooth and sturdy, with the rubber covering the entire top. You can tell a lot of thought was put into the design, and my husband doesn't easily impress. So. The fact that he was pleased initially is HUGE.

Then we turned it on. This thing puts out some TUNES! The bass is fantastic, and for a wireless speaker, we're THRILLED with the fullness, depth, of sound. Definitely a big plus in our household. I feel like we'll enjoy it for many years to come. Good job, TDK! We're typically a "Sony" family, so this was quite a surprise that all of us are pleased with this speaker. It "lives" in the garage, so I don't have to give up my indoor wireless speaker when he wants to listen. We're just thrilled. I'll update when both of us are listening at once, and see if there's any interference.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bass on this is soooo smooth., July 7, 2014
MicheleLK "Michele" (Lower Fairfield County - United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hookup was no problem. I hit the bluetooth button, and my phone (Samsung S4) sensed that this device was closest and automatically connected.

I've never heard such amazing sound from a small speaker before. I am VERY impressed with this, and will start using it more than even my Bose! The controls are super easy, and I love that it's "weather proof," which means it's perfect for taking it to the beach. Very well done. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Speaker with Big Sound and Long Battery Life, July 1, 2014
Shannon B. (Ukiah, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little bluetooth speaker. I noticed right away that it feels very solid when you pick it up. It comes with both bluetooth and NFC pairing. It paired effortlessly with my Android phone (Samsung Note 3). On the top are the following controls: NFC (not a button, you just place your NFC device near the logo and it pairs); Power button; + and - volume controls; Bluetooth button for bluetooth pairing; Phone button used to answer incoming calls (yes you can take calls through this speaker and talk with people); Rewind, Play/Pause, and Fast Forward buttons. I wish it had a mute button so you could skip commercials on services like Pandora.

I bought my wife a Bose Bose Soundlink Mini for 200 dollars about 6 months ago. At the time I compared the Bose with a multitude of other speakers from manufacturer's like Logitech, Beats Audio, Jawbone, and a long list of others. I picked the Bose because I liked its sound the best. The Bose is smaller than this speaker and just as sturdy. While this speaker lists for $199 like the Bose Soundlink Mini, you can get it for less than $200 unlike the Bose, which is always $200 so that is a plus. The Bose does not have the ability to answer calls nor does it support NFC and the Bose is not splash proof. The Bose does have better sound. The TDK A34 is very close however. I would describe the TDK A34's sound as warmer. It is stronger on the mid range tones and slightly weaker on the bass and higher tones. At $50 less than the Bose, it would be a tough choice on which to pick. If you are a sound purist, who doesn't need the NFC, splash proof, or the ability to answer calls and you don't mind paying $50 more, go with that. If these other features appeal to you, you won't be missing much in sound with this speaker. It is very close to the Bose. I also think it is a bit louder than the Bose, so if you like to play your music loud, it would be the better choice.

There are a few things I found annoying. It has the usual wall wart (the large plug that you plug directly into the power). It would have been nice if they had put this inline, so you don't have to have this up against your wall plugs). There is also a rubber guard (part of the splash proofing) that protects the power connector, the usb port, etc. I found this rubber plug a bit annoying to get off to plug the speaker in. Luckily you won't need it much because the speaker has great battery life.

TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker