Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$249.76+ $7.23 shipping

on September 21, 2013
TDK V513 Wireless Sound Cube Personally, I hate trying out speakers in a store. You're surrounded by noise, foot traffic, pushy salespeople and no access to a users manual. I made this review for anyone who wants to hear a 'real-world' recording using high-quality equipment. Is it a substitute for your own ears? Not really. But I do offer my take on the pros and cons of this particular 2.1 speaker system. I hope you enjoy it.
77 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2012
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Four stars for "I like it"......but, A few items you should be aware of before you purchase the V513 wireless sound cube over the wired version.

I plugged in the AC adapter(18V-2A)to get a charge on this V513 Wireless sound cube and could not find a charging light/LED indicator.... Then after looking closer at the owners manual and product description I realized that they had dropped the internal power source from the wired version when they added Bluetooth...
(Amazon product description under TDK's as of this date talks about 2 D size batteries but is NOT applicable to this item)

While it says it has a USB charging port, that turns out to be a USB port to charge your other MP3 device, not the cube itself.
Portable sound box that links by Bluetooth but has to be in reach of an AC outlet? What?

They also dropped the FM radio that the wired version has, a very desireable feature in my opinon. Yes, you can listen to radio if your paired device has one on it.

Phono plug socket for musical instrument is gone as well.

While I am used to multi function buttons and knobs, the right hand function push/turn control is just a pain to operate and get what you want so far... a five second time limit makes you move quickly and the indicators are hard to see... it does have an IR remote (you have to point the remote at the front of the cube) but it does not control all the functions available on the knob.

Paired right up to my Bluetooth units no problem.

The lack of protection for the side speakers for a "portable" device like this is just asking for broken or punctured speaker cones sooner or later.

Sound is really good for a small, lower watt unit like this, lots of volume and fairly distortion free at the top end for something like this, can be heard well in the average size room, but not tried it with a group of people in the same room yet. I never feel good about using full volume with anything however.

Bluetooth range seems a bit more solid than most Bluetooth headsets and speaker phones I've had, but is still has to comply with industry standard 33ft restriction so no claims for more distance.

At this price point, I just can't get over the lack of rechargeable power (or even the disposable battery setup from wired version) a huge mistake to me and I'm sure others will feel that way as well.
My four star vote is after some days of use and comes mostly from the fact that it still sounds great even with the above listed omissions that the lower priced TDK 77000015410 Sound Cube has.

Weight is actually just under 10 lbs so lighter than what description says. 9 x 9 x 9 inches in size

If you really don't need wireless connection, have a look at the wired version TDK Life on Record 77000015410 Sound Cube Audio System
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2012
The TDK Sound Cube V513 is a slightly strange niche product: it's compact but not super-portable, and it needs to be plugged into the wall, but plays audio wirelessly via Bluetooth. (It also has a mini auxiliary audio port, and a USB jack that only charges but won't play audio from iOS devices -- a strange and frustrating omission.)

The unit's build quality is not impressive for the price (it's made entirely of cheap black plastic) but it gets the job done and feels solid. Setting the unit up is the most obnoxious part of using it: its control knobs are cheap, mushy-feeling and extremely unintuitive, and a complex series of turns and pushes is needed to make Bluetooth pairing work. (Windows also has some difficulty sending audio to the V513, which isn't TDK's fault, but Mac OS X and iOS set up with it pretty easily.) And it's also annoying to have to switch the unit back and forth between already-paired devices and computers, rather than it knowing enough to switch dynamically to the one streaming sound to it at the moment.

The sound quality once paired, however, is pretty good for a compact plastic device. The unit has one 5-inch driver (the other two sides of the cube that appear to contain large speakers are actually "passive radiators," i.e. fake speakers; all three are worryingly unprotected against dust or damage) and four small tweeters, one on each corner. This has the effect of making its bass (which is full but not subwoofer-caliber) and lower midrange a bit more direction-sensitive and its pleasant high end a bit more omnidirectional. In general, though, the sound quality is pretty decent, approaching the quality of a decent (but subwooferless) home theater in a much smaller package. There's obviously no stereo separation at all.

The Sound Cube is not perfect by any means, but it does produce good sound. For a buyer shopping in this specific niche -- looking for a compact, semiportable Bluetooth wireless speaker -- it's worth considering. But for general listening, especially if you don't care about wires, there are many vastly better choices at this price point: start with the AudioEngine A5, which delivers far superior sound and build quality.
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2013
This product is an external speaker -- actually, three good-sized speakers, positioned on three sides of a 9-inch cube -- that incorporates wireless Bluetooth technology so that you can, per the User Guide, "Operate your Bluetooth device and its sound will be heard through this unit's speakers." (It also has an AUX jack (cable not included) to play audio from non-Bluetooth devices.) It operates on AC only (power cord included) and has a USB port (cable not included) to charge a device.

Functions are accessible via retro-styled knobs on the front and/or a tiny wireless remote that has very good range but not-so-good sensitivity (I have to press the buttons quite deliberately, and often more than once, and there's a delay in response). The cube has great rubbery pads on the bottom corners to prevent it from sliding, and a handle on the top implies portability -- but keep in mind that this unit is not weatherproof and has no battery power.

I've listened to music, podcasts and audiobooks and found the volume range to be very good (from quiet to window-vibrating loud when the unit's max volume is combined with a device's max volume). The sound quality is okay -- the music sometimes pop and skips, which never happens with my device alone or through earphones, and I'm disappointed that each adjustment of bass/treble involves a complicated, multi-step procedure. Most discouraging is the troublesome Bluetooth connection -- pairing is easy, but over dozens of listening sessions with my iPhone and the speaker unit in a range of proximities (mostly close and always in a direct line), the Bluetooth connection was lost in *every* session (after as little as three minutes to as long as 45 minutes) ... the speaker audio just stopped while the iPhone played on silently. My phone and the unit were obviously paired, but I finally re-paired them anyway and the connection problem hasn't recurred but the popping/skipping has.

I'm enthusiastic about this product in concept but much less enthusiastic about it in operation.
on August 12, 2013
This is a great price to performance speaker. The sound is great and when you crank the bass all the way up it really does pump. The interface was a bit confusing at first but after about 20 min of messing about I was able to figure it out. The build quality itself is great as well. It does not have the knit subs that the previous model had but I find them still very durable. One of the only things that I could complain about would be the Bluetooth, it cuts in and out when you are only about 6ft away.

Summery
-Pros-
Loud
Great Range, a bit bass heavy
Superb build quality
360 and directional sound work very well
small enough to keep on your desk

-Cons-
Bluetooth not so good
Has to be plugged into an outlet.

At the end of the day I would recommend this to all my friend to jam out.
on April 6, 2014
I needed a portable speaker to teach my Zumba class in a large cafeteria where sound dissipates. I bought the Bose portable speaker but the sound seemed to evaporate. Not enough power from Bose to fill the room. I looked for a replacement. I bought this TDK after reading reviews and this is just about right. Nice bass, loud enough for the ladies I teach. Multidirectional sound helps a lot. I don't care about plugging it in, I use it near an outlet. But I can't pair it to bluetooth - tried a dozen times following directions. Bluetooth light flashes and then nothing. I use the aux jack for my class and it works fine. I can also use this devise to charge my phone. The speaker is sturdy (but I agree with other comments about the unprotected woofer makes me nervous). The handle is very uncomfortable to carry it with, but I can deal with it going in and out of buildings.
It has it's quirks but it beats the Bose sound at 1/3 the price so no real complaints from me because I LOVE the sound!!!
on August 10, 2013
Love the sound, the look and feel, BUT the bluetooth connection drops very often, and no, it doesn't come with built in battery...
Update: contact customer service and gave me this instruccions, from the device, forget the connection and then go trough the pairing proccess again, and so far its been working ok, but you have to be close to the cube for better signal...
on January 10, 2014
The bluetooth drops out frequently, even when the unit has not been moved. Called TDK customer service and the representative said that I need to reset the bluetooth function. After she walked me through the steps, it continued to drop intermittently. Have called them multiple times, before they finally issued a return mailing label.

Please avoid this product unless you enjoy hearing songs that stop suddenly and dealing with an inefficient customer service staff.
on July 23, 2014
I think this was a good buy, because this little box is very capable of pumping out such a large amount of base. I like it because it looks good, sounds good & it doesn't take up a lot of space. Moreover, it sounds really good in my mini home studio! :0)
on February 19, 2014
I bought this for around $94 on Amazon and originally it was $299. It's discontinued now. I'm really impressed. Bluetooth hooked up right away, plus it has an auxiliary port and will charge your USB device. Great bass and great sound. Awesome little unit for the price.