Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Inquiries - by email|Change

on July 20, 2013
I bought this toolkit because I needed to replace the LCD on a Droid X phone along with needing to fix the backlight on a 1st generation iPad Wifi. This gave me all the tiny Torx bits I needed for working on both. This toolkit comes in a nice organizer case, which is small enough to carry in your pocket.

One of the only downsides of this kit is that it's not magnetic, which makes removing and reinserting tiny screws tough. Another reviewer suggested taking a magnet and rubbing it against the bits to temporarily magnetize them. That's a good temporary fix, but there's an easy way to permanently magnetize this screwdriver. The base of the screwdriver is hollow so that you can store your bits in it (the black lid pulls straight off - no twisting required), but instead, I simply inserted a 1/4" diameter round neodymium rare earth magnet into it. The magnet's pull is strong enough that the screwdriver bits are magnetized when inserting them into the tool, and it holds the screw in place perfectly every single time now. Plus it makes a good little screw-retrieval tool if I accidentally drop one down into a device.

The plastic prying tool in this set is also very handy. I don't think it will hold up to repeated use on sturdier metal devices (like trying to open an iPad case. For that I had to use an iSesamo ultra-thin steel pry tool), but it worked great for removing the plastic bezels on my Droid X. What I REALLY found the pry tool invaluable for, however, was unhooking the tiny cable connectors found in so many devices these days.

All in all, I give this kit a very strong 5 star rating. The case makes it extremely portable, it has a great variety of tiny specialty bits that are required for disassembling numerous current-gen electronics, all of the pieces feel quality made, you get a very handy plastic pry tool in the same carry case, and since there's really no need to store bits in the handle thanks to the case being so compact and well-organized already, you can magnetize your screwdriver with no more effort than dropping a magnet into the top and putting the lid back on.
1515 comments|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 12, 2015
Bits are pretty pathetic. Pentalobe bit actually twisted (shown in picture) purely from putting screws into the bottom of a MacBook Air. These were not torqued down that hard, which wouldn't really have been possible considering the size of them alone. Returned for a refund.
review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hey Patrick, Russ from TEKTON here. I'm sorry about your experience with the set. Shoot me an email at support@tekton.com or call 888.648.3371 and I'll get this taken care of for you.
on February 10, 2014
I am an IT technician so I've seen my share of component tools and this set is going to be with me for years. I truly recommend this set of tools. If your looking for the best buy, most bang for your buck, then look no further.
on March 18, 2015
SOFT METAL MEANS BITS BEND AND SHEAR OFF
I have had the set for a while now, and have worked on a couple of Macbooks with them. Although the bits are sharp when new, in all honesty they aren't holding up very well, especially the Phillips and slotted bits (the Torx bits should hold up better since there is less opportunity for slippage). One of the screws holding in the fan on a MBP was in there pretty tight, and the Phillips bit kept popping out, rounding off the bit edges and the screw. I decided to try the smallest slotted bit, which fit right in and got good traction on the screw, but instead of turning the screw the bit itself bent! Overly tight screws on Macbook fans seems to be pretty common, so I tried the same thing on another Macbook and the tip of the bit actually sheared off inside the screw!

I also encountered the same problem when using the T6 bit to tighten a Macbook hinge. Since you don't want this moving out of alignment, I tried torquing them up as much as possible, and bent the bit (as you can hopefully see in the photo). After shearing off the slotted bit, I'm now afraid to fully torque up hinge screws, as I don't want to shear off any more bits. Part of the problem is that they decided to make the T6 a security bit, with a hole in the center--a spectacularly bad idea with such a tiny bit, especially when you're using soft metals for your bits. In contrast. I used the T6 bit from a Picquic 06102 Teeny Turner 7 Bit Micro Driver (Assorted Colors)driver for years (including for tightening hinges) without any observable wear—and certainly no deformation. A shame I lost that driver and replaced it with this one.

Given the small amount of metal making contact with these tiny screws, it's probably more important that you use good quality metal in your bits, and this set doesn't. While this may be a good and cheap choice for those who will only use them once or twice, they simply aren't up to repeated use.

NON-MAGNETIC!?
This is the biggest functional problem: the bits are not magnetic. The suggestion of another reviewer to glue a neodymium magnet into the hollow handle, at the end of the bit holder, is a good one, but not many of us happen to have them just laying around. Saving a few pennies by omitting a magnet is just plain stupid given the utility of magnets when dealing with tiny screws.

SMALLER THAN THEY APPEAR
It's tough to tell just how small this set is from the Amazon pics, but it's probably even smaller than you think (the customer pic comparing it to a Sharpie marker gives a better indication). Nevertheless, I find the driver to be just large enough, and I have fairly large hands. You can't get a lot of torque, which may be a good thing since the soft bits don't handle torque very well.

LOTS OF BITS, BUT NOT ALL YOU NEED FOR MACS
There's a good chance you're looking at this set for the Apple-specific bits, such as the pentalobes and the triwings. And while for the most part the bits are usable for things like removing drives and batteries fastened with these screws, if you are going to try and adjust the trackpad tension screw on a Macbook, you'll find that this set doesn't have the correct triwing. The trackpad screw is much larger, and very shallow so you can't even try to use the pointy triwing bits included in this set. While it is possible to adjust the screw with a 2mm slot bit jammed into two of the triwing's arms, this set doesn't come with a 2mm slotted bit (only 1.5mm and 2.5mm); thankfully I had a 2mm bit on my (magnetic) Picquic Teeny Turner.

A BETTER ALTERNATIVE?
This is certainly one of the most popular sets for repairing Apple products, but given the issues with it I can no longer trust it it. The Delcast LP-29 Electronics Multi-Bit Screwdriver Set, 29 Piece Set seems to offers what I'm looking for: magnetic bits and hardened Chromoly-Vanadium steel, for a couple of dollars less.
(Update: after using the Delcast set, it has the same problems, and the bits are of even worse quality: in addition to the T6 and flat bits bending, the Delcast's P00 Phillips bit rounded while also stripping the screws on a Macbook fan assembly. Not recommended. The Teeny Turner I mentioned above is a fabulous choice if you only need small phillips bits and T6 bits, as it has tough bits and a strong magnet, but it doesn't have the pentalobe and triwing bits you need for recent macs and Apple devices.)

UPDATE - Tekton customer service seems to think problems are the customer's fault and that bits should wear out
I sent an email to the support email given by Tekton in response to other reviews. Because I don't think this is a quality control issue but an issue inherent to the design and metals they use, I asked if they could refund me. Here's their response:

"Thanks for writing in. Since we are the manufacturer, not Amazon, I have no way of refunding you. The reality is small bits wear out and fail. A small 1mm piece of steel can only take so much force. Often when they fail, the wrong size was being used or the fastener was much tighter than recommend. Generally bits are a wear and tear type item, but if you're unable to return them to Amazon, let me know and I can send you 2 new bits this time. I'll just need a picture of the bits and your address."

Of course, other manufacturers do provide refunds with proof of purchase. And other bits do hold up much better than these, and if the bits were properly hardened they would not have twisted or sheared off. But Tekton's approach seems to be to blame the user and then pretend to be magnanimous by offering, "this time," to replace a couple of bits if you send in photographs. I have no doubt they are aware of how easily their products bend in relation to quality tools.
review image review image review image
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2013
Just writing this review to say that the pentalobe bit in this kit works with the Retina Macbook Pro. The bit seems like good quality, the bit didn't strip, nor did it strip my screws. Great value!!
44 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2012
I bought this solely for the pentalobe 1 bit for use with the iPhone 5. I have come to appreciate the other included bits, as well as the plastic spudger. Its a nice little set.
on January 7, 2013
For $10 it has a good arrangement of bits, one of the Phillips I needed had some flash on the tip that I had to break out the file on to get it down. The plastic tool worked but its one of those things that probably will have to be replaced often if I was to do frequent cell phone repair. After one screen change it had worn significantly. The rotating black part on the back makes running screws in and out speedy, I really like that feature.
on January 28, 2014
I was CERTAIN I had killed my MacBook Air. With this kit and some online guides I was able to take it completely apart, clean it up, and put it back together again within and hour and a half. I'll never be without something like this ever again! All of the bits fit perfectly in the screw heads - didn't strip a single one.
on February 23, 2015
TEKTON 2830 Every-Bit Tool Kit is very cool. I never have to run around looking for the right tool to open up my electronic devices because I have them all right here in the palm of my hand.

Pros:
Small / Compact
Tough
Reliable

Cons:
None

I would recommend this to a friend or colleague.
review image review image review image
on February 1, 2015
It's a good set . Has a bit for opening up my MacBook Air. That's the reason why I bought this set .
review image review image