4.0 out of 5 stars Decent pack for mid-entry level hiking
this pack is overall a good quality pack. It has tons of pockets and loops to hook many things on. I have walkies, knives, shoes and much more dangling from mine.

It's lightweight and the pack has lots of customization options. If you are a large person (6' 0" and up) this pack can conform to you!

I like the options, including the sleeping bag pouch...
Published on June 16, 2007 by Rowe Rowe

2.0 out of 5 stars Neat Features/Uncomfortable
Published on March 23, 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent pack for mid-entry level hiking, June 16, 2007

I like the options, including the sleeping bag pouch. My sleeping bag barely fit though...It was a challenge to stuff my bag and get it zipped, let me tell you! Afterwards, I was able to place a tent, 4 days of food and clothes, a stove, lantern, pillow, pad, cups, walkies and so much more. Fully loaded for a summer hike kept me <29lbs!

This pack is very comfortable as well. The padding is very generous and again, the adjustment options are plenty! I felt very balanced when wearing this pack and I feel it will last for many years when I examined the stitching and build quality.

The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that I specifically purchased this pack because it had a hydration pouch. Reading the instructions, it was very difficult to determine where exactly my pack was supposed to go. It's not very clear and when I finally figured it out, it was illogical because the pouch location is between your back and your load. For me, this was bad because I placed my pouch in there, filled it and tried on the pack. It was very uncomfortable having water sloshing between me and the pack. I did not have a very confident feeling when the pack was not on my back. Also, it created tremendous pressure on my system, so when I went to take a drink, I was flooded every time. I ended up placing the hydration pack on the outside vestibule which worked just fine.

Overall, this is great and I recommend this pack. Good luck with the hydration though. Perhaps that is where it is supposed to go, but it didn't seem normal to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Update! Fantastic Job on this pack, July 6, 2010
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
So I went out to several stores and tried on several different packs in the 100- 200 dollar range. This one was about 75 in the stores so I thought what the heck let's try it on and give it shot. It fit me well and overall was very comfortable. I am fairly short by guy standards; 5'6 160. So I hoped on Amazon and saw it was just about 50 bucks. Well like most, I was expecting some of the problems I have read about here. However, I have yet to have any of them. Since buying this, I have hiked Mt Washington in NH, Mt Davis in Pa, and Back Bone Mountain in. I have also taken this pack on multiple climbing excursions. I must say this things has held up amazingly. I have had zero problems with it thus far. For my local climbing trips, it has handled my full climbing gear (200 ft rope, harness, helmet, carabiner, belay, etc...) plus food water etc for the day. For my hike up Mount Washington, which anyone who has done that knows how crazy it can get, it performed very well... I ended up having to use the handy dandy waterproof "sheath" that came with the pack. It has endured some serious abuse and keeps on taking it. I would recommend this pack to anyone at this point. As to the pack itself, it has tons of little features. It has locking mechanisms on the lumbar straps, 2 outside pockets that are literally the perfect size for a Nalgene, It has a pocket on the top for random things (I used it for flint and my back up plan of 9V battery and steel wool), At the bottom it has a place for your sleeping bag. All in all a fantastic pack for the price, until I wear this one out I do not anticipate needing another one. Well at least not until I learn how to ice climb and knock out Mt Rainier!
All in all this is a great pack for the price and I would recommend this to anyone who is just starting out in their hiking career

UPDATES!!! 6/22/2011
So over the last week I did 3 more high points with this pack where the use of a ultra-lightweight tent was required (i have the Seedhouse SL-1 in case you are in the market for a tent). And again this performed more than adequately. I trekked up the Appalachian trail to Mt rogers in VA and then drove to Black Mtn. in KY and then spent 3 days hiking on and around Spruce knob in WV. Once again the rain fly came in handy mt Rogers was under severe winds the entire time i was there... This pack hold everything I needed. I have added some D-ring accessories to it my self for easy access to food and my camera, but otherwise it is the pack as I bought it. I am not sure if I am missing something the other reviewers are saying, but the side pockets (the ones about mid way up the pack) are large enough to Hold my 32oz Nalgenes, but you just can't zip them shut (mostly because of the lid), if you need clarification on this I can send some pictures to you. The only down side I can see thus far is the eventual need for space for longer duration and technical climbs... But as i am using this for 2-4 days trips, it works great.

Likely My Last update! 11/28/2011
As the winter approaches and my hiking time is slowly replaced by strip mall and market time. Since my last update I have used this pack extensively. I hiked a 30 mile portion of the Appalachian trail on my way to Clingmans Dome in TN and then in once that was completed I did about a 10 mile hike on my way to the top of Mt Mitchell in NC. I must stress that I am very much the minimalist... I take very little extra that one could safely do without. That means a couple sets of clothes, cold gear, tent, bag, food, water, and obviously first aide and water purification. I keep a small multi-tool on me and a rather large knife I was issued in the desert... That's about it... I have yet to come across i situation where the pack is more than maybe 2/3rds of the way full... But at any rate, I have had very little issues with this pack aside from the chest strap... The clasp did give way finally, about mid way through my 30 miler to clingmans... Luckily I came across a nice woman who was willing to give me one of her extras... I made on modification to the pack it's self. The mid-side pouches sewed on some netting so over the top of them and got ride of the zipper so I could fit my nalgenes there. But other than that the thing has been flawless... I likely will not need a new pack for some time... Hope this info has been helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack, April 8, 2009
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
Why is this pack so inexpensive? I thought I was buying this because it looked like a decent pack for the price but I really didn't expect so much. Most quality packs are well over $100 and some even approach $200 for this kind of quality. I was so blown away with the quality construction and all the "extras" that I'm still a little speechless. What's the catch? I dare say this is the best experience I've ever had buying anything online and I buy quite a bit. So if you are wondering if you should buy the Scout3400 backpack by TETON Sports, take my word for it, you'll be incredibly pleased. I can't say enough about how much pack this is for the money. If 6 stars could be given, this one would get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great affordable pack, May 17, 2007
I will qualify this review by saying that I am not an expert backpacker. I got this pack for a three-day trip in the Smoky Mountains. We started out the trip on a rainy day. The built in rain cover worked really well, although it was not big enough to cover the pack AND a sleeping pad I had attached to the outside of the pack. As a result, my sleeping bag, which was at the bottom of my pack, the region left partially exposed, did get a little damp. It actually didn't get as wet as I'd expected, though ... it was pouring that first day. Had I been a bit more experienced a backpacker, I would have put my sleeping bag in a waterproof bag. All this to say that the rain cover works well for the bag, but won't necessarily accommodate extra things attached to the outside.

The bag has a compartment in the lower section for a sleeping bag. I was eager to try this out (to avoid unpacking my entire bag every night), however, my sleeping bag did not fit through the opening. It is not a super-compact sleeping bag, but it's also not bulky. The compartment was able to be opened to the rest of the pack, though and I simply put the sleeping bag in from the top (as it turned out, I had to unpack almost my entire pack each night anyway to get food and a change of clothes).

The bag is set up to be used with a hydration bladder (although it doesn't come with one). I was able to get one before my trip and was really pleased with the way it worked. The pouch for the bladder is inside the pack, so does require unpacking (or rearranging) to remove or replace the bladder, but as I said above, I was doing that each night anyway. It easily accommodated the 3-liter bladder I got, and it was nice to have water so easily accessible while hiking.

The only other thing I have to comment on are the external pockets. It has two mesh pockets on either side, and one on the lower back side of the pack. It also has two enclosed pockets on either side and one on the top of the pack. The mesh side pockets were too small to hold a Nalgene bottle (that would have been nice). I also think a couple extra pockets (or larger pockets) higher up on the sides would have been nice for more quick access options.

Overall, I thought this pack was great, especially for the price. It did very well for me on my trip of 3 days / 2 nights. I would definitely recommend it for someone like me who wants an affordable, reliable pack for occasional trips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack for a small woman, September 14, 2009
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
I'M 4'11". I have big problems finding packs that are comfortable for me. I carried this pack for two weeks through Guatemala, where wheeled luggage isn't a good option.

The pack work excellently. I carried 26 - 36 lbs, depending on how much liquid I was packing. The shoulder straps are very easily adjustable for different height people, and the different pockets made it easy to find and store things. I particularly liked and used the handy rain cover. I never ran out of room and could have easily carried more junk...

This pack is a screaming deal, which makes it even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Average, September 19, 2009
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
I took this bag to Mt. Whitney - hiked up to Trail camp with it and back. I think that's quite a beating for a bag like that.
Pros:
- Cost. Probably the best deal for $52
- Quite sturdy and the sleeping bag compatment helps with packing the bag even better.
- Lots of pockets
- Good lower back support
- Strong back support buckle/clip
- Quality synthetic fabric should last forever.
- Compact. Keeps the load together very well.

Cons:
- The clips/buckles are not good quality plastic. The chest attachment slipped out of place on the very first trip. Granted, my bag was like 40 lb and I was putting it to test at that weight in that terrain, by placing a good portion of the weight on the chest but that's what these bags are supposed to do.
- 3500 cu.in is good but for longer trips 4500-5500 is nicer.
- Middle, upper back support is good but not as good as other bags that have a strong aluminium frame on the back.

Overall, it's a great product for the price. If you are going to DEPEND on it, meaning that if it broke, you'd be stranded in the middle of a long hiking trip, then I don't feel confident enough on this bag. I'd pay the extra money to get something that will give me the peace of mind of not breaking at all. Unfortunately, such bags are easily at least 2-3 times the cost of this bag. For expeditions, not too heavy loads, camping trips, etc. where you have a vehicle you can place this bag or have a backup option (store close by to buy a replacement as a worst case scenario), I think this is awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neat Features/Uncomfortable, March 23, 2010
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
I bought this with a very hopeful attitude after reading the other reviews. Had tested a number of backpacks loaded with various weights and even gotten helpful hints on adjusting at a store. This pack came with some nice features: separate sleeping bag compartment, lots of compartments, decent size for class, built in rain fly, places to attach things. However, there's a point where the shoulder pads attach to the bag that is a big uncomfortable knot in my shoulders. Also, no matter how I adjusted for height, the pack felt like it was pulling me backward at the shoulders, not shifting weight to the hip belt. I had to send it back and replace it with one at twice the cost. I was sad, because it's nifty for all the features. If you're new, please make sure you get good advice and know how one should fit before you try this one on - that way, you'll be able to make a good decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really deserves a 4.5 star . . . still very happy with it., May 21, 2009
I am female, 5'6", and bought this as a replacement for my last pack. For the price, this was a better purchase than my 200-some-odd-dollar old pack. I travel for long periods at a time and needed something that could carry all my gear. The quality of the pack amazed me and it has all the buckles and pockets I could ask for. I easily fit my sleeping bag, tent, camera, tools, and a week's worth of clothes into the pack. *Please note* - I pack very light by male and female standards.

The sleeping bag pocket is definitely made for a legit 'backpacking' bag. You probably won't be about to fit something that you pick up at Target for $20. With the my backpacking sleeping bag, I was also able to squeeze a mallet and tent stakes in with it. If you do have a standard 30-40 degree bag, try putting it in from the top. There is a zipper at the very bottom of the pack that I almost missed while exploring my new toy.

Actually, the only reason this pack warrants the half star is that this pack is not made for girls. Sorry ladies. The adjustable torso is a great feature and gives great back support for me at my height, but no matter what I did, the little chest buckle would not fit comfortably across my female chest. I just have to leave is off and this does cause a shift in the weight of the bag. It is something that I can deal with, but it is defiantly something to think about before purchasing - especially if you are just starting out and not used to carrying a loaded pack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lack of measurements, December 15, 2010
Ryan H (Mississippi, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
First of all, I think this is a good pack--very sturdy and I'm sure it would perform well. My problem with it is that it didn't include measurements of what height or back length it would fit. Only the tag mentions the measurements (max height is 5'9"), and the tag is on the actual pack, not in the product information, so that was disappointing. I had hoped the tag was wrong, but it was a little on the uncomfortable side for me, and that was when it was empty. I'm 6 feet tall btw. My only other complaint is the sleeping bag compartment--it's just too small for my needs, but that works out because I can always put my bag in the pack and put other items I need to get to quickly in the "sleeping bag" compartment. And please don't forget that you shouldn't order this if you are taller than 5'9", otherwise it won't work out.

To summarize, the pros are:
-Quality construction
-Definitely affordable

The cons are:
-Lack of height specs in product information
-The sleeping bag compartment is too small, a VERY compact one might fit, but certainly not a winter bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck, February 3, 2010
KDTF (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TETON Sports Scout3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Sports)
This is a great bag for the price. And best of all (which I did not know at the time of buying) is that it meets the carry-on size limits for flying. Fits enough clothes and materials for a 2 week trip with no problem at all.

TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack (Mecca Orange)
$129.99 $84.99