TETON Sports Fox5200 Internal Frame Backpack (Blue)
Color Name: Aztec BlueChange
Price:$89.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color Name: Mars Red
I bought this bag for a 10 day backpacking trip to Europe. I filled the bag to it's max capacity and found that I had packed enough clothing for at least a 15-18 day trip. The bag showed great structural integrity overall and stayed well balanced on my body frame through some long hikes. All the compartments made my belongings easy to organize. Some of the outside straps and clips can be a bit excessive, but I would suggest tying up the slack before you check it in at the airport. They did come in handy when I was on the road. I was able to tie up heavy jackets and even my camera tripod securely. One of the clips on the shoulder straps that is used to secure water bladder tubing snapped in transport; however, it was of little significance to me overall and there is an extra one on the other side. I would definitely recommend this bag if you're looking for one item to hold all your stuff.
Color Name: Aztec BlueVerified Purchase
This is a nice pack with lots of features. Great for beginners and how can you beat the price? Wow. I should have noted from the other reviewer, that this pack is *small* (he could not get it to fit and he was 6'2"). While capacity is very large, and lots of attachment options exist, the frame is set up for very small people. I am 5'10" and set the pack to the very largest frame setting and still had serious pain carrying the pack when full (45lbs). This pack is truly a woman's or more likely a youth sized pack. On the smallest settings it fits my 5'5" son perfectly - so I am keeping it for him.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2008
Color Name: Aztec Blue
As a college student, I am used to sacrificing high quality products for something that just does the job. Sure I would like a top rated pack, but I can't afford one. So I settled on this one thinking it would suffice and kept the expectations low.
When I opened up the box I was pleasantly surprised. This thing is so well made, has a ton of pockets and feels great with even up to 50 lb's in it!
I was concerned that it wouldn't fit right because there were some reviews saying it was too small. I honestly don't know where that came from. I am 6'0'' and weigh 210. I have very wide shoulders and am considered a very large person. I played football in high school and was a center, so this should fit the vast majority of people.
I can easily put my tent and sleeping bag in the bottom compartment and even have some room left over.
If I had $100 dollars more, I would probably still buy this pack.
I am very pleased with this product. And appreciate the speed in which it arrived. I ordered this on Monday morning and got it Wednesday! Great job Teton Sports and Amazon. I am very happy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2007
Color Name: Aztec Blue
This is the best back-pack I've ever tried. I'm an emergency rescuer, and I commonly participate on campings and stuff like that, and I can say this back-pack is a must-have. It's so big you can get anything you'll need on a whole week camping ! It's very confortable, and you almost don't feel its weight. I love the sleeping bag compartment, since I can even use it both for the sleeping bag and the tent ! (keeping the sticks on the outside, of course). If you are looking for a complete back-pack, with a lot of space and very confortable, buy this one... garanteed!
on September 30, 2007
Color Name: Mars RedVerified Purchase
I highly recommend this bag for anyone who doesn't yet have the equipment to pack lighter for backpacking trips. It's a fairly heavy bag, but it's built so well, it's really esy to carry. Perfect for beginning backpackers. Probably a good one for highly experienced backpackers going on really long trips. NOT good for ultra-light backpacking, but I don't think there are many of you out there.
on August 7, 2010
Verified Purchase
This pack has excellent features and is a great value for the price. I used this bag on a 4 day backpacking trip in Yosemite and it held up extremely well. The fabric is durable and all of the zippers worked out of the box. A lot of people commented that there are an excessive number of straps on this pack, I don't think that's the case at all. If you are packing a lot of gear you'll find that the straps are well designed to keep the load balanced and where you need it to be as you hike the trail. The guys complaining of excessive straps probably aren't packing that much gear to begin with. All I know is that I was completely satisfied by the placement of the pockets, straps, and the durability of the pack. It even stayed dry while hiking in extremely wet conditions (mist trail).

However, if you are over 6' tall this bag may not be for you. I am 6'2" and found the bag to be too small for my torso. As a result, the entire weight of the bag rested on my shoulders regardless of how I adjusted the straps or waist belt. It just wasn't too comfortable under a heavy load. The Teton Sports Explorer 4000 is a smaller pack but is made for longer torso's. I later tried the Explorer 4000 and found it to be very comfortable and would recommend taller folks try that bag instead.

Also, I found Teton Sports customer service to be top notch and extremely responsive.

Overall, you wont find a better pack for the price and I would highly recommend it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2008
Color Name: Mars RedVerified Purchase
I take about one 3 week packpack trip a year. I recently used this for a 3 week stint in SE Asia. It was actually a little bigger than I'd like but it was rather inexpensive for the type of backpack so I gave it a try. Unless you are going to a cold place, you shouldn't need more than 55L. My friend bought the Teton 55L off Amazon and I rather liked it, so I'm buying that one next. I was going to originally get that but Amazon's prices seem to change quite a bit on these backpacks. One week it was $49, next $79, next $69.

PROS:
-It's big. I went there using only about 60% of the capacity. I ended up buying a lot more stuff than I usually do just because I knew I had the space.
-The materials are very good quality. For the price, I was very surprised. I'd guess it would be around $100-$150 if I saw it in the store for the first time.
-Sleeping bag compartment, pretty easy access.

CONS:
-It's HEAVY. I would put it at 6 pounds empty. I was rather irritated when I picked it up. It's the heaviest backpack I've ever picked up.
-The design is really poor. The number of straps and plastic snaps is beyond insane. Not only that, most of the straps are over twice the length you need it to be, even for a large person. There are several I had no clue what they did, like the bottom ones. There are both loops and straps on the bottom of it for an unknown reason. This all adds a ton of weight. In fact, I spent about 3 hours clipping off all the straps and buckles I didn't need or figure out what the purpose was. I also removed the huge, oversized hip pads/straps. I then used industrial glue to redo the straps. I removed nearly 3 pounds from it.
-The 10+ refers to the top being used as a hip bag, there's a rather large, heavy buckle in the top part that you use to strap around your waist. Not only is it awkward to wear, it's the dorkiest looking thing. I'd put it on par with duct-tape and a large zip-lock freezer baggie.
-Water bottle holders are too short, my water kept falling out. I ended up just carrying it in my hand.
-The rain cover in the top is pointless to me. more weight I got rid of. It'd help if you are in a downpour but who treks when it's raining that heavy. Maybe if you're in the woods and can't get decent shelter...or you want to use it to make a temp shelter... For light rain, the material is semi-water resistant. I just sprayed some water-proofer on it before I left and voila, zero weight water resistant.
-The side pockets are useless. I like the ones that actually are compartments. These are just folds that expand out. I could only stick a couple folded shirts in them.
-Material is high quality, however it's also very heavy again adding to the weight
-The top is only held on by plastic buckles, the kind that easily come un-done when check-in'd at the airport. I used metals clasps to secure them for flight. If they come undone, I could easily imagine your contents being dumped all over the tarmac.
-The main compartment's height/width ratio is not good. It's basically a long slender tube. It'd be better to have the widget and depth increased and have it a few inches shorter like most others.
-The main straps that go over the shoulder, which supports the entire bag are nearly ripped apart and I didn't have much weight in it. It can easily be fixed with 'gorilla glue' which I used on other parts as well. There's only a line of stitching on each strap supporting the entire weight. For the most critical, stressed stitch...spend the extra penny to make it more secure.

SUMMARY:
Good for the price. I might suggest it if you are mountain backpacking and are more interested in getting something decent for a cheap price but for backpack traveling, there are a lot better options, even in the $50-$100 range.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2007
Color Name: Aztec BlueVerified Purchase
I actually had to send this back, however. While it had great features and a great price, it was a little too small for me (in 2 ways). I think the volume was a little small for the week of backpacking I was planning. But more specifically, it only came in one size, and I couldn't adjust it adequately for my height (6'2"). I was sad to send it back, however, because it seemed very nice otherwise.
on January 16, 2007
Color Name: Mars Red
Its a good pack but not constructed the best. I had to restitch part of the inside because it was falling apart on arrival and I didn't want that to happen while I was out. The rainjacket works well and came in handy on my first day out. other than a few construction flaws it is a good bag.
on November 26, 2008
Color Name: Mars RedVerified Purchase
PROS:
-awesome deal for the price.
-high quality construction.
-great weight distribution.
-i don't think an average 6'3" male will have trouble getting this to fit.
-the rainguard is sweet, although i wish it detached (it's built into a pocket in the top thingy.
-many compression straps really help in adding things to the outside of the pack:
I attached a 2/3-person hiking tent to the bottom straps. placed a fleece sleeping bag in the criss-crissed bungee cords on the outside. behind the bungee's there's a gray flap thing, which has a compartment inside. it's not attached to the backpack, only by the buckles. so it's essentially a giant strap, behind which you can put more things. (tarp, jacket, etc.) hung a skillet from one of the loops. plenty more places to attach anything else you can muster. basically, you can bring almost anything you want and attach it.
-spacious inside. perfect for my weekend trips to the mountain forests:
I just barely fit my 40degree/4pound sleeping bag in the lower compartment, which has a zippered divider to the top compartment, into which i fit 2 pairs of pants, 3 t-shirts, 1 long-sleeved shirts, a hooded sweatshirt, 4 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of boxers, a towel, food, and a few other things. and still had some more room. (i go in march to the Catskills, so extra clothes in case you get wet is always a good idea.) the side pockets are surprisingly roomy. plus more space in that top thingy.

CONS:
-the top thingy. I despise it. it kinda wobbles and is awkwardly shaped. about as much room as a fanny-pack. it does detach, but then the only way the bag closes is 2 drawstrings at the top (not that serious i guess). also the rainguard is attached to the thingy, so you're kinda stuck with it unless you use waterproof spray like the other guy.
-no suitcase-style zipper. only access from top, although i guess you could go in from the bottom a well. this is only a problem if you're using it for vacation travel, as opposed to in the wilderness. just be smart about how you arrange the items inside.
-the straps! omg the straps! they do in fact all have a purpose, but i got so confused. i undid them all, and it took me a while to figure out how they go back. so many straps! i mean they could all come in very handy, and i like being prepared, but it can be overwhelming at first sight. also the other guy said his water bottle didn't stay. those pockets have straps too, so i think it could be managed. but do yourself a favor if you're hiking in the wild, and get a water reservoir. just because it can fit 3 liters doesn't mean you have to fill it all the way.
-a little heavy. but when you're strapped in, it's impressively light. don't expect to jog up a mountain, but walking 5 miles to the camping spot shouldn't be a problem.
-all the straps are excessively long, except for the bottom one, to which i couldn't attach my sleeping bag. a hiking tant or bedroll or jacket will fit fine, however.
-a little awkward at first to figure out what to do with, but once you get the hang of it, it's very very nice and functional.
-that top thingy really is a pain. and they expect you to use it as a fanny pack? pass. really, it's attached very very awkwardly. my friend doesn't think it's that bad, but it bothers me. not really a functionality issue though.
-that FOX logo on the bottom is ugly. both colors have it.

basically, buy this thing. or go smaller or larger. but if you need 75L, i say do it. if you dont like it you can always return it i guess. just give it a chance first. i'm glad i did.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations