Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on December 8, 2007
I purchased this generator for emergency power outage use. It does require some assembly (put on handle and wheels) but it only took a few minutes. The 240V outlet on it was angled through the mounting hole also, but it was because the wires to it are just barely long enough and the mounting "ears" were bent. I removed 4 bolts to access outlets from the back and bent the mounting ears back to correct this. You should have a funnel with a long spout to fill oil (I bought one for about $2.00). Filled it with oil & gas and it started on the 2nd pull. Adjusted choke and it ran very smooth and is not that loud (product descripton claims 68 decibels at 21-feet. The box states 75 decibels). I think it was a good purchase for my needs, hopefully only have to use it once a year at most.
on December 2, 2008
I received this generator just last week and just in time for a several-hour power outage. When my power went out yesterday afternoon, my new generator was still sitting in my garage unopened. I opened the box only to discover that there was not a manual or any paperwork whatsoever inside. It wasn't too difficult to figure out however. There are two wheels and two rubber feet that need attached to the bottom and a handle that needs attached to the side. That was all of the assembly that was required. I filled it up with 10W-30 oil and then put in the gasoline. It started up pretty easily. (After I figured out which way the choke was supposed to go!) I let the engine stabilize and then plugged in a lamp to make sure that everything was working OK. After a brief moment where my heart sank when the light didn't come on, I realized that the GFCI breakers come tripped. I reset them and viola - light!

I connected a 2200sf pellet stove, two lamps, and my refrigerator/freezer to the generator. Of course, when I plugged in the fridge, it stuttered briefly, but it got back on track very quickly.

I'm pretty impressed with it so far!

Update following Northeast Dec 2008 ice storm... (just two weeks AFTER the previous post)

My power was out for four days. This generator got almost EIGHTY hours of run time. I changed the oil once for good measure but it kept the house warm and the lights on!
on March 4, 2009
The TG 4000 is not for the mechanically challenged. At least the one I received. As several have noted, the front panel was slightly damaged in shipment and the pull cord is in the wrong place. The plastic cover for the electronics NEVER fit properly, yet the inspectors sticker was on the cover which clearly could never have been in place to start with; what a joke!
The good first - It starts quickly, usually on the second pull and it does produce electricity. The bad - only one of the two 110 volt outlets on mine work. Taking the front panel off and comparing the provided wiring diagram to the actual wiring reveals that the second 110v outlet is wired incorrectly; absolutely wired wrong.
I intend to rewire it, but thought about sending it back;- far too much trouble to return it. So,since it provides only half of the electricity that it is supposed to provide, it gets a 50% from me. As we all remember from school, a 50% grade is a FAILING GRADE.
on April 11, 2009
After some extensive searching I ordered the TG32P12 based on the value/price/review ratios found on AMAZON.

The gen arrived in about 5 days with no damage to the box. I pulled it out of the box and added the handle, wheels, oil, and gas. It started on the first yank, excellent! In my opinion, the oil filler plug and pull cord in their offset positions are not as big a deal as some have mentioned in their reviews. I let it run for a bit... wow, very quiet. The machine itself is satisfyingly styled with a nice blue and black color scheme. I tried to apply power but got nothing. I found that the GFCI would not test/reset. I tried grounding the generator, changing cords, etc., nothing worked. The GFCI was definitely dead and also while searching underneath I found that one of the engine foot mounts was broken. I've seen that damage described before in the online reviews. Since it was a Saturday afternoon I knew it would be a day or so before I could get in touch with ETQ or Amazon. I was VERY aggravated but sent off a short note to AMAZON letting them know what my problem was. I clearly stated that the generator ran fine but would not provide power and that a mount was broken. I asked how I could get a replacement or a repair authorized.

The next morning I was surprised to find an email from an AMAZON rep stating that he was sorry for the defective shipment and that a replacement had been ordered and would be shipped immediately (let me mention that in many years of ordering from AMAZON, this is the first item that I had arranged for a return). The email also stated that I had 30 days to return the defective item or I would be charged for it. A link was provided in the email to print a pre-paid shipping label when I was ready to send it back. All this made my Sunday better than had been anticipated.

Four days later the new generator arrived. This time the box was in tatters but after opening it up with the FedEx girl watching, the generator appeared in top shape with no damage noted. I added gas and oil and also swapped the wheels and handle from the first generator. Once again, it started up with the first pull. The GFCI tested good so I plugged in a weed whacker, held my breath and pulled the trigger... she ran like a champ.

Now that I had what I paid for I had to get the defective generator ready to ship back. While draining the oil and gas I sat down at my computer to print out the shipping label. I ran into a dead end when I tried to open the link to the pre-paid label that had been sent by the AMAZON rep. I was informed in writing that returns on this item were not allowed as law prohibited shipment due to the dangerous liquids involved. So now I had two generators, one working and one defective, and in the predicament of being charged for both if I didn't return one of them (which was prohibited by law) within 30 days. The dangerous liquids in my stomach started to bubble again so I got on the phone and called the fine folks at AMAZON. After explaining the situation to a rep I could sense him rubbing his forehead and I even heard him mutter, "Oh, boy". He then put me on hold for about 15 minutes to talk with his Big Kahuna. I had an inkling what was coming and sure enough when he came back on he cheerfully told me that I was allowed to keep the first generator free of charge. He said the second one was shipped in error and I should have been authorized a repair instead. He informed me I could junk the broken generator if I wanted to ("yeah, right").

Wrapping this up. The next day I took both generators and sat them side by side. I'm not an electrician but somewhat mechanically inclined so I took off the front panel and found wires on the non-working model did not match the set-up on the working one. I changed them around but once I fired it up (using rubber gloves to avoid killing myself) she still did not provide power nor would the GFCI test/reset. I then used an electrical wire checker and found that the wire bundle coming from the working generator beeped but the wires from the non-working one did not. I pulled off the air grate from the end of the generators and looked at both of the wirings. Sure enough I found they also did not match up. A cable with a (+) sign on the non-working engine was in a different location then on the working one. I swapped it around and put everything back together. Fired it up with gloves on, and BINGO. She purred like a champ, GFCI tested/reset perfectly and it powered up my weed-whacker like it was meant to be. Last step was to add a block of rubber under the broken engine mount to support it while running.

So now here I sit, with two perfectly working ETQ 4000 generators for which I paid a total amount of $349. I eagerly look forward to waves of summertime black-outs while my gleaming fleet of new generators sit patiently waiting in their backyard shed. Thanks all in part to a lazy Chinese factory worker and the generous folks at AMAZON.com.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I looked at every kind of generator available. I knew I didn't have the money for a Honda but I still wanted something I could rely on. After reading the great reviews for this Eastern Tools model I decided to take a chance. The price was definitely right for me. The price has since jumped up a little but I still may buy a second one. The box it came it was beat up a little but the generator showed no damage at all..absolutely beautiful. As many others have mentioned, the pull start rope is totally mounted in the wrong place. My dad and I came up with a simple fix. We just drilled a hole in the front panel and put in a smooth metal grommet. Now the pull handle rests against the front panel and pull very smoothly..not requiring that weird angle of pull it would have required. It looks great..as if it came that way from the factory. The engine runs very smooth and isn't as loud as I thought it would be. We have only run a high output shop fan and some shop lights off of it so far with no surging at all. I am very happy with this generator and will probably buy another. Even at the new higher price it is well worth it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2009
I ordered one of these generators to use with my travel trailer when I'm out at the track with no electric hook ups. I received 2 units, both units fired up on the first pull of the cord. They are quieter than most generators that I've heard, however they're not even close to a Honda Inverter genverator. The generator on both units did not function correctly, it was running at 40Hz instead of 60Hz and the voltage regulation was horrible, dropping to 104V with a 1600 Watt A/C unit running, this about 1/2 the rated load of 3250 W. After the 2nd unit I gave up and asked for a refund. I'll find something else to use. I WILL GIVE AMAZON CUSTOMER SERVICE 5 STARS for their help through this whole process, they were expediant with the 2nd unit and the eventual refund.
on August 30, 2010
I bought this generator in late June 2008 while living north of Houston, Texas, just in time to try it out and have it on hand for the hurricane season, and I was so glad I did! I always shopped around very carefully, and this was the least expensive generator for the output, and with several plug options. It has two standard two-prong 110V plugs with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrrupter), a three-prong 110V plug, and also a four-prong 220V plug (I had a heavy duty cord made special with the 220V plug on the generator and used the same style for a new plug I installed to feed directly into my well and house system).

I suppose if you are using a generator for work or all the time, you might buy a more expensive model that MIGHT perform better or last longer, but this generator was perfect for what I needed. Plus, they offered free shipping, and it arrived within five days of ordering. It was really a great deal!

The generator ran perfectly for our needs. I had a new plug installed on our water well and had a heavy duty male-male cord made so I could plug one end into the 220V plug on the generator and one into the 220V electric line to our well. I just kept this generator at our well house, and when the power went off, I could start the generator, plug it in, and cut off the main power breaker at our meter, and the generator would power everything at the well and in the house.

This generator sounded like it was a little rough running when it first started, but we never had a problem. It uses a little oil, as the air filter has an oil drip, but this is common... you just have to have an extra quart or two on hand, and check it once a day if you are running it all the time. Like most generators, it is a little awkward to try to pour into the oil fill hole, and a small funnel is helpful (I added a short piece of clear flexible tubing to a small funnel, and it worked great). I believe it has a low-oil shut-off, so if the oil gets low it will shut down (to prevent running with little or no oil)... at least it did this once, and after I checked and added oil, it ran perfectly.

The 4000W model ran our water well, pressure pump, and everything in the house except the clothes drier or air conditioner. It even ran our computers, wireless modems, and the HughesNet satelite internet system (I also had a small surge-protector & backup power supply that sensitive equipment was plugged into, to prevent any possible surges), so we remained connected to the outside world via the internet, even when all other power, phone and cable land lines (and even cell-phone towers after a few days) went down. When Hurricane Ike went over the top of us and we were without electricity for a week, I would run this generator for two to three hours three or four times a day to keep the refrigerator and freezer cold, did a load of laundry a couple mornings (lucky the weather nice wnough to hang it out to dry) and we would watch a movie during the evening run. Fuel consumption averaged between three and four hours per gallon of gas.

I was very pleased with it. It is light weight, and the wheels and handle made it easy to move. And another thing I like is that the nice people I talked to in Ohio were great to send a new air filter (for a reasonable price) when I lost mine one a year later. It was a great purchase.

-- Nick Sheedy ,
John Day, Oregon
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2008
I recently purchased this TG4000 generator after spending a week in the dark after hurrican Ike struck Ohio. I was able to borrow a Honda 1600 watt generator that helped with the big items (fridge, sump pump, etc.) during the blackout. As soon as the power came back on, I immediately starting searching for a good generator and ended up buying this one. I can tell you, this generator is quieter and has far more bells and whistles than the Honda. Don't give me wrong, Honda makes great products, but for a generator I found you will pay close to $1 per watt for a Honda!! I did a lot of shopping around and most generators for this price won't have extras like: the low oil light, gas guage, 220 outlet, GFI's, metal tank, etc. Another big concern, especially with an extended black out, is the fuel efficiency of the unit. This generator gets about 13 hours on only 4 gallons. You can't beat that! I received this item without a single scratch on it. I put the oil in (which by the way is really not difficult unlike some reviews have mentioned), put some gas in the tank and it started on the very first pull and has started on the first pull every time since!! I haven't had another power outage to test it long term. However, I have given the generator some high watt tests by starting several box heaters on the max power at the same time. This pulled about 3500 instant watts. It kept up with everything I could throw at it without missing a beat. As far as maintenance goes, keep in mind this is an engine so there is some maintenance required (ie. oil changes, starting on occassion, etc.). If you are looking for an excellent generator for an excellent price, look no furthur. You will be thrilled with the purchase!
on February 6, 2008
I purchased this generator for emergencies and perhaps the occasional need for portable power. For the price, I have no complaints. This generator does the job. Size, Power, Run-time, Cost, Portability, this generator met all my expectations. During an emergency who cares about a little noise, it's still quieter then a lawnmower.

Most competitors of this size generator charge an extra 50 bucks for the wheel kit, so I'm pleased it was included.

There are some complaints about the oil reservoir location. From my experience, other generators are equally difficult to access. Just tilt the generator against something when you fill the oil.

The Amazon Product Description is a little misleading:
6.5 Hp (not 7), and 75 db (not 68)

Other thoughts- My generator arrived with some shipping damage. The manufacturer honored their warantee, and sent me the replacement parts without any hassle. So I'm pleased overall.
on January 29, 2010
I purchased this product 12/09 for mu husband to go hunting. It arrived with in a week. He put it together & filled it with gas it starting leaking where the hose attaches to the gas tank. Upon further inspection he notice that it was not welded correctly to the gas tank. Also, the cover to the filter was busted up. We took it back to the location where we bought it & reordered a replacement. That one showed up with in a week also. When he started putting that one together he noticed that the air filter cover was busted up, again. We thought no big deal we will get another cover. He put gas into the tank and pull after pull he could not get it to start. We were very disapointed with this product! We took the replacement back to the store and bought a better quality generator, a champion - it's great.