5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, fantastic box set
Published on November 14, 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Comment about quality of the books not the content
Published on January 4, 2011 by Mom of two

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Comment about quality of the books not the content, January 4, 2011
Mom of two (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
I've just received the boxed set which I ordered based on favorable reviews on Amazon. I did not like the quality of the books in the set. I own St Martin's Griffin and St Martin's Paperbacks copies of James Herriot books and they both are better quality than this set. The biggest problem for me is that font is smudgy and not sharp. It irritates me a lot when reading and looks cheap. Not what I expected for $60. In addition, from the quick glance at the books, the first three books in the set are rough equivalent of US title "All Creatures Great and Small", and the fourth of "All Things Bright and Beautiful", which is twice the size of the 4th book in the set "Vet in the Harness". Not sure how it was done, and what chapters have been moved around, but the US edition seems more straightforward. I am returning the set and will continue to buy St Martin's Griffin editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, fantastic box set, November 14, 2010
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to find this box set on sale in a fabulous book store in Dublin, while there for a school trip. I had always loved the books as a kid, and had re-read the American versions several times as an adult. For a very pleasant surprise, there were some stories in this box set that I do not remember seeing in any of the various American editions. A little more Herriot is always a good thing (though I'll admit that I didn't quite follow the several chapters of his cricketing misadventures). The box set is very nice, just by itself, with lovely illustrations on the box and on the book jacket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Stories....Terrible Quality, May 5, 2012
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
I must agree with a previous reviewer, the quality of the books is terrible. The paper is very "toothy" and so the printing sits on it patchy and blurred. It's printed in the same manner as a very cheap novel you might find sitting on the shelf at the local dime store. I recommend purchasing these books in another format.

The stories themselves are timeless and wonderful. I remember my mom reading these when I was little and I came to love them myself. Books worth owning, but you can find much better quality in other printings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful editions of a Classic series, September 9, 2009
This is a very nice set of 8 books. Sturdy and great looking.. Looks better than the BCE I read years ago!Worth the price..Rich and wonderful stories. If you know someone who is or wants to become a vet This set is for them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, March 5, 2011
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
I read these books as a child, but had since lost my set. This beautiful box set has brought all the stories back to life for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars All Creatures Great & Small, James Herriott, December 24, 2010
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
I had read this series when I was young and I always have remembered it in my heart and soul as something greater than great. James Herriott helped me in childhood and now that I am reading the series again, as an adult, he still thrills me to no end. His books are for the masses no matter how small, big, young, old, male and female. I have learned patience and love of animals and people who love their animals, once more. I believe I always did love all creature great and small all these years because of James Herriott but now I am revitalized and very happy to have found him and returned to that mindset, ever stronger in my soul. I wish he was still around so I could have thanked him. Thank you, EAL

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful author J. Herriot is, January 11, 2013
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
If you don't know of the James Herriot series, I can only tell you this without spoiling the surprise for you. James tells the story of his life, starting out, getting married, raising children, getting older, etc all within the framework of being a kindly country veterinarian.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete James Herriot Set, January 29, 2009
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
We have had most of these books for years. The reason for our purchase is two-fold. First, we wanted to have copies of all his books, and second, we needed to replace all the others, as they were worn-out from reading and re-reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars a trick, November 11, 2013
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
the books were just a repackaging of his original four books, I feel cheated because they were presented with new titles

5.0 out of 5 stars Vet Heaven, January 18, 2013
This review is from: THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 (Paperback)
This was bought as a present for my sister. Luckily, in my family all things deemed "good reads" are shared. It's a bit of a different read then those released in the U.S. I am happy with all aspects of it. The price, the shipping etc.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8
THE COMPLETE JAMES HERRIOT Box Set 1-8 by James Herriot (Paperback - 2006)
Used & New from: $35.11