Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: THE MEDICINAL MARTINI
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

50%
50%

on April 25, 2011
First a disclaimer. I received this free from the author but their were no strings attached. Not even a review. If not for that I probably wouldn't have read it and missed a good novel.

It reminded me of the old time mysteries. A little action, some sexual reference and a good plot.

The plot and characters was well developed. I could visualize the scenes and to me that's a big plus.

A few things were predictable but that's part of the charm of the old time whodunits. But the novel isn't predictable.

Worth the time and the price.
on March 16, 2011
I was prepared not to love this book, as this is truly not my favorite genre, (you'll usually find me slurping up a Vampire-themed novel) but I found it to be highly entertaining, and over all, a very good book! Plenty of twists and turns, to keep the reader guessing as to who the bad guy/girl is.

If you are looking for an intriguing Who-done-it, you' ll love this book. The lead character is a crusty, jaded private eye (ala Sam Spade) with a unique perspective on life. One mystery quickly evolves into two mysteries, and before you know it, the story has blossomed into a full-bodied, epic story of murder, theft, suicide(?) and not-too-graphic sex, with enough twists and turns to to keep you turning the pages, as you reel from each revelation and suggested outcome.

If you want graphic, erotic sex, then this book is not for you. However, if you (like me, usually) prefer to have some things left to the imagination in that department, you will find that Vivian Davenport is very much a lady who keeps that part simple, while the main plot gets all kinds of convoluted!

Over all, a terrific read, and a great way to while away the hours, with or without your own "Medicinal" beverage!
on January 18, 2012
Dusty Darling, dashing yet neurotic PI on 'medical leave' thinks he's going to have a nice, relaxing cruise ship vacation.

Too bad when the dead body on board changes his plans.

He only hopes he'll have enough medicinal martinis to help get him through.

Vivian Davenport delivers a rip-roaring fun read with this homage to the classic, old school gumshoe private dick story. Featuring pee-your-pants funny dialogue, plenty of twists, and a cast of suspects reminiscent of "Clue," I was highly entertained.

I'm so very glad to have found this read and I salute Vivian, my fellow ABNA alum, for some fine work!
on January 12, 2012
This was a wicked fun book to read. Davenport's got a clean, fast-moving style and her wit is alternately subtle and in-your-face hilarious. With such an original cast of characters, incuding a hero detective with a reputation for sleeping with his clients. Dusty Darling (that's his name and the author uses it often for some pretty clever dialogue) finds himself in the middle of a murder mystery on the high seas, which grows more complex as the voyage continues. If you like light-hearted whodunnit's, I highly recommend this book for consistently enjoyable, funny and clever read.
on March 2, 2012
Enter the world of Dusty Darling and you will be entertained. As an advid mystery reader, I do enjoy trying to find the culprit before the reveal, but in this instance, I didn't know who the villian was until the 'actor look-alike' gum-shoe himself revealed the murderer. This, to me, makes for a great mystery. As it was pointed out before, the only negative thing I have to say is that I too had a hard time keeping up with the numerous cast of characters but, if you think about it, that was what kept me trying to guess the who-dunnit. So, if you need a rainy day read or something for the beach, here's your book.
on February 21, 2012
Jeez, my head is spinning from that read. Talk about having to pay attention. It reminded me of an Agatha Christie cast of actors/characters, whilst doing a Noel Coward play on cruise ship. There were so many characters it was hard to keep track. Like a comedy of errors via portholes, dining rooms, masks and big hats. It kept me guessing I will give the author that. I was convinced I had figured out the whole Mimsy/Miranda mystery, but of course I wasn't correct and I fear my skills of Sherlockian deduction are beginning to wane. It was a highly entertaining read and refreshingly light. Much like a Pimms with a sprig of mint on a hot day.
on May 19, 2011
I was thoroughly engrossed in this novel from cover to cover, I'll tell you. Felt like I was right there, on the ship along with dear old Dusty Darling, the suave detective. Hell! I swear I could almost smell the salty ocean breezes the entire time I was reading.
I never knew what was happening next from page to page and that's what I like in a story. This was a marvelous book. A wonderful read! Pack your bags, folks! You'll enjoy this trip!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2011
In the interest of honesty - I was given a copy of this book by the author but do not know them personally. First I have to say great cover art. Just fun. Secondly, this book was a truly enjoyable read. I don't believe in re-writing a book in a review so I won't. Suffice it to say, the story was fun, escapism, a little mystery, somewhat irreverent and a little unpredictable. All in all good reading for a few hours away from real life.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse