4.0 out of 5 stars "A realistic view of the industry and the artist."
I thought it was a good reference for the beginner. I felt that for such an extensive topic, the authors were able to convey the subject matter objectively and precisely without inundating the reader with meticulous explainations. I have referenced this book countless times since I purchased it, and I feel that it is an asset to my library.
Published on March 13, 1998 by sabrina7@primenet.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great.
Published on February 25, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars "A realistic view of the industry and the artist.", March 13, 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great., February 25, 2003
By A Customer
A decent primer for a completely inexperienced beginner, but it hardly goes past what anyone with basic perception & common sense would already know. And the new edition is deceptive, too - the guy still talks about sending "demo cassettes" - it's pretty sad that they can't even update that basic of a detail. I'd STRONGLY recommend opting for 'All you need to know about the music business' by Donald Passman - it's infinitely more detailed & helpful, and is a very easy, yet informative read - you can get as much or as little out of it as you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Business of a great useful tool for the industry, November 10, 2002
By A Customer
I'll start off by saying I've been working in live sound for years and been a performer for longer. On top of being a very good describer of roles and key issues around industry careers the author (Xavier) explains in very precise detail what is involved from the start of a band to the high points. It is realistic and not out there in the clouds about managing "The Rolling Stones." Although this deals with management it is great for people interested in the industry. I speak highly of this book because I've had paid (at amazon.com) for books with 10% of the information in this book for [money]. Get this book and "This Business of Music" M. William Krasilovsky, these are great resources for the beginning to advanced people of knowledge of the industry. Also I must mention (what the description doesn't) that the book has sample contracts in the back that are very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information, March 16, 1999
By A Customer
This book is great for anyone trying to gain a better understanding of just what artist management involves. I had only a limited knowledge of the subject and learned a great deal from this book.
I would definitely recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars The obvious in 250 pages, August 28, 2004
This book is about as pointless as majoring in Sociology. Its the most obviously basic stuff that anyone with even half a working brain can figure out. Each line in this book is like a greeting card of lame industry superficial insights like "there's always a possibility that hard earned success will disappear as quickly as it materializes." (pg107) and "Every artist is only as sucessful as the most recent accomplishment." (the very next line on pg 107)

All of this would be OK, in fact I expect it in a book about the music industry. But this book is really just 250 pages of THOSE TWO LINES written in different verse and/or syntax. I think the writers of this book said to themselves "instead of writing a book about management, lets see if we can figure out how to write the same thing in more than two thousand ways." Honestly, these guys should be in the Guiness Book Of World Records, but NOT writers of a useful, helpful, artist management book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, January 3, 2005
Dario "N" (Kitchener, ONT) - See all my reviews
I have been in music industry business for a while now and I would recommand this piece of art to anyone who's new and seriously wants to become familiar with this industry. Whether you're an artist or manager, this book will help you to understand the basics. I also like the fact that the authors are so honest and give you a real piece of advice if you want to be a successful artist manager, and that is to get education (especially in business). As a recent business graduate it has helped me to be a lot more successful in this industry.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Business of Management, May 3, 2005
I found that book really interesting. Books about artist management are difficult to find and this one is a good one. For those who read French, I also suggest Tout le Monde Vous Dira Non, an excellent book on the business of artist management with a real new point of vue. Read also All you need to know about the music business, more legal oriented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artist Management info made easy, February 11, 2009
This is yet another book I had to buy for my Recording Industry curriculum - you guessed it, an Artist Management class. This book breaks it down in an easy-to-understand manner while also achieving to not come off as a "Artist Management for Dummies" kind of thing. If you're serious about artist management, or just curious to how things work, buy this. It's practical and gives helpful hints on what you'd need at different stages of an artist's career.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, February 6, 2014
henry gutierrez (SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THIS BUSINESS OF ARTIST MANAGEMENT 4TH ED. (Paperback)
If you're new to the music business, this is a great guide telling you what to prioritize and potholes to look out for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, January 16, 2012
This is a good informative book. Only problem is the telling of a story in almost every situation.
But if you're thinking about being a Manager or being managed then this is a great start.

THIS BUSINESS OF ARTIST MANAGEMENT 4TH ED.
THIS BUSINESS OF ARTIST MANAGEMENT 4TH ED. by Xavier M. Frascogna Jr. (Paperback - September 1, 2005)
$24.95 $18.34
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.