on May 7, 2011
Single Player: Short... nothing much can be said about it other than that. Without giving away anything, it could have been longer in the end, as it did, well, end quite abruptly. But as a good point, it didnt pad along, everything was kept at a constant pace.. unless we are talking doors... if you dont know what I mean, just watch a bit of a play through, and you will see.

Multiplayer: This was possibly the best part of the game. I cant understand where people get the idea its a COD knock-off. Really, its more of a copy of Battlefield. The maps are few, but they do offer a good mix of close combat and long range encounters on most maps. The maps themselves come in two forms, TDM maps are small than the GC forms, but are still the same areas. There are two game-modes Team Deathmatch (TDM), and Ground Control (GC), which is the same as capture the hill, but with three points to hold, and when you succeed and win a round the battle will shift to a new location on the map. There is also Battle Commander (this comes as both TDM and GC), which functions by giving you bonuses for getting "killstreaks" (which in this case is killing multiple enemy players without dying.) Unlike in COD, you instead get bonuses, like damage and health power-ups allowing you to pro-long your kill streak. But the higher your kill streak, the more enemy players will come after you.

Overall, a decent MP game, but thats about it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There's a lot of hatred for this game. On release, it got slagged for its short single-player campaign and lackluster multi-player. A lot of people got fooled by Homefront's massive marketing campaign that heavily featured an engrossing storyline by a famous screenwriter, only to find out that the single-player experience was way too short at around five hours of playtime. To add insult to injury, multi-player was crippled by severe balancing issues and was completely unplayable for many due to poor performance on the PC.

Even now, despite the fact that the performance issues have been fixed and the game runs smoothly, people are still complaining. Even now, with the developers having listened to the fan base and released a patch that balanced the MP portion of the game, people are still finding something to bitch about. In its current form, Homefront is a blast, yet players are still whining about it. It's a pure case of complaining for the sake of complaining.

Snipers no longer dominate the MP battlefield. Connection errors are gone. The worst cheaters have been purged from the game. Graphical issues have been addressed. Despite all of the work that the developers put into fixing Homefront, many gamers still have a vendetta against the it and have extended their hate campaign. Just browse through Homefront's or Steam's user forums to find examples. Instead of requesting a refund and moving on with their lives, a few gamers have made a life's mission out of slagging Homefront. Don't believe the hype!

If you're looking for a hybrid cross between CoD and Battlefield, you'll love Homefront. It's got a great selection of vehicles, skills, and weapons. My advice: wait for a sale and pick it up. Unless you're a never-satisfied H8rdc0re L33t complainer, you'll enjoy the game immensely.

EDIT: The devs recently released a new patch (1.04) that completely obliterates any progress they may have made with the game in the past two months. Modifiable server options were included in the patch, and this has put the game in the hands of server admins that were bitter at the last set of changes KAOS/DE made. The result is an overwhelming glut of hardcore servers that have brought back campers, snipers, and hackers. What little balance was left in the game is gone now. Not only that, a whole host of new bugs and glitches has been introduced. Hit detection is a mess, drones are too powerful, sniper guns now do single-shot torso kills, and hundreds of servers have disappeared from the game. What's left is nothing but exploiters and cheaters. Avoid Homefront at all cost. It's not going to last more than a couple months.
on March 17, 2011
This game has been unjustly panned a lot by critics and keyboard warriors. The biggest complaints has been in regards to the single player being too short. To this I can not argue because I haven't touched the single player because the draw of this game for me and thousands of others FPS fans is the multiplayer the only component I am often interested in when it comes to a FPS whether it be Call of Duty, Battlefield, Killzone or Halo.

I am here to tell you the multiplayer for this game is great and stands on its own. It has the perk system of CoD, the map sizes and vehicles of Battlefield combines with an economy system similar to that of Counter Strike. That is a great recipe for a winning shooter and that is what Homefront delivers. There are some issues that need to be fixed as far as balancing weapons and such but all this can be fixed with patches, just as Blizzard does with Starcraft 1 and 2 to make it the best RTS on the market.

So please don't be fooled by the critics who demand a single player experience or listen to the keyboard warriors who love their CoD. Homefront is a great game, it isn't perfect but it is fun.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2011
Took me just under 5 hours to complete the campaign. Seems short, but I was ready for it to be over. As others mentioned, the story is far fetched, but then nano-suited super soldiers waging war against aliens in New York City is too. It's certainly fun to play and it totally deserves its place among the better shooters out there. Just expect more of a blend-in experience than stand-out. The multiplayer is the best part of this package. The potential for greatness is very apparent here. But like any game, it all depends on who you're playing with.
on March 24, 2011
The storyline and the detail in this game are absolutely phenomenal; however, the game fails to deliver the gaming experience due to major unending technicalities. It seems the executive had the wrong idea and failed to properly launch the game. This is clearly a rush production, probably to beat the market launch of Crysis 2, and Ghost Recon. Bottom line, they sacrificed quality of the game leaving massive glitches untouched, and worse, leaving their consumers pissed. I myself feel ripped off, as the game can't even run properly. My computer specs are as follows: 2nd generation i7 processor, 8gb of ram, 2gb of graphics, etc... Crysis 2 runs fine if not flawlessly... What happened THQ?
on April 12, 2011
I love HOMEFRONT - it is fun to play & the story sinks in really good. I like how the different characters are established, even though it's sometimes cheesy.
I was playing through the Single Player in about 5 hours. The multiplayer is fun too & before each match you can watch an intro to know what this game type is about.
I was buying HOMEFRONT more for the single player though & I can't wait for a sequel.
on April 18, 2011
I knew going in that this game was going to be strong in the eye-candy and story department with a pedigree of John Milius and Unreal Tech 3 behind it. And it didn't disappoint. The single-player campaign was noticeably short even for a person like me that doesn't race through campaigns, but what was there in that brief visit to the world they presented was nothing short of a living, breathing entity, fully-fleshed and ready to enthrall me. I've never had a single-player FPS experience that was more engaging. I've gotten to play a bit of the multiplayer and that's fairly well thought-out as well, but there's room to grow there. Kudos to the Homefront team for diligence and constant work post-release on making the MP portion smoother... in this case, for most folks, the bang-for-the-buck is in that MP. The single-player is like a roller-coaster: lots of adrenaline, lots of screaming, but the rides over too soon. That said, I look forward to more visits in this new world, if THQ brings it back for more.
on March 26, 2011
Homefront suffers from all the issues that modern shooters do - the gameplay is incredibly rushed, your squadmates are constantly yelling at you, the AI is like playing with your five year old brother, and it's very obviously a multi-platform release; the area in which one can move and explore is rather restricted, and why bother anyway? There's no real reward for exploring. Unless you want to read amusing news articles which might land you an achievement (what a reward!), if you find enough of 'em. Having to constantly drop and pick up guns is frustrating as well - you don't want to get attached, ever, because you'll never find ammo to keep it loaded!

What I will say is that, graphically speaking, it's quite well-done - it's a very pretty game. The environments are well rendered and suitably blasted to a near post-apocalyptic landscape. It's also fairly bug and glitch free, surprisingly enough. I've become accustomed to games being released too early, then being repeatedly patched over weeks and months thereafter. Homefront appears not to be one of those games, which is rather refreshing. I'd say that maybe PC games are finally turning around again, but for the miserable experiences I've recently had with Fallout: New Vegas' stability (or, more pointedly, lack thereof).

The gameplay itself is Homefront's real shortcoming. I often found myself being riddled by gunfire without being able to locate my assailant. After searching and searching, I realized that I was being shot through a wall... and that I couldn't kill the enemy soldier because of said wall. As I mentioned, I'd just completed a full playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas - perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about this point, but by way of comparison, Homefront is difficult. I grew up with Doom, Wolfenstein, Rise of the Triads, Duke Nukem, and so on, but I don't remember anything that was this difficult on normal settings. One engagement in particular has been incredibly frustrating for me - occasionally, I'll die after taking four or five bullets, but more often I'll go down after just two. Props, THQ, for the realism... too bad I didn't want realism. Your character is essentially made out of paper and has no idea that putting on some armor might just help. Talk about ridiculous.

It could be that my expectations have really been raised by all of the sandbox games that have been coming out in recent years, but the linearity of Homefront is not for me. It's a very one-dimensional game with little for replayability. I could imagine it being more fun in multiplayer more, but also more frustrating; I don't buy games for multiplayer, thus the single player campaign being so miserable really disappoints me. I think I probably should have waited on Brink to get back to shooters. That's what I'd suggest you do!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Let me start off by saying that I am a first-person shooter nut. Not a "geek" or "nerd" or "addict", just a nut. I don't play twelve hours a day and I don't go on spastic online screeds at people who think that just because their thumbs move a little faster than mine that they own the online world. The majority, if not all the games I play are first-person shooters (HALO, Call of Duty, and Battlefield for the most part.). Also, I play the "campaigns" mostly and I've only recently got into the online gaming, multi-player fiascos that are the inevitable results of people with too much time on their hands, and I'm enjoying it. This is where I'm coming from.

So, what I look for in these games in a story quality that will hold my attention, a variety of things to do which will add replay value, and a game that adds something new. On the first two, Homefront suceeds well enough. There are some levels, but only a couple, that I would want to play again. The story is coherent and it works even though the dialouge is as bad as anything Hollywood has produced recently. They also took too many cues from the Modern Warfare series (Even in that incredible bus ride sequence you see echoes of it even though it's far more chilling.). I've heard excellent scripts in Battlefield 2 and especically BioShock (A favorite) and to some extent Call of Duty and HALO, but even these two fall short.

As far as adding something new, my friend put it well when he said that it felt like a last generation game, especially the graphics and the physics. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had better graphics than this. And, let's face it, if you love the Call of Duty series as much as I do any first person shooter is gonna seem slow by comparison.

I haven't yet experienced the multi-player aspects of this game and I probably will soon. But, I'm so cynical about what I've seen so far that I still have to say that it's extremely dissapointed that they seemed to put more effort into that than the campaign. I know that's where the money is and that's where the attention is but there are still gamers like my self out there who love a good story and a good campaign.

Overall, it's a fun and interesting idea. But it feels like that it could've been executed better.
on March 18, 2011
I'm one of those guys who picks up a shooter mostly for the campaign, but I will dabble in the multiplayer for a couple dozen hours, then it's off to the next game. There's far too many great games to play without grinding out yet another level cap in yet another "shoot things and get points to unlock upgrades" multiplayer mode.

That out of the way, Homefront is one of those games that I really regret buying, and not renting. I knew going in that the campaign mode was short - most professional reviewers are putting it at around 6 hours. However, reviewers typically play games on easy mode to get through them so they can review the game and publish the content on whatever website or magazine. Typically I find that if a reviewer claims a game is 7-8 hours, I can add about 20-30% to that and that's how long it will take me.

In this case, I could subtract 20-30% because when all was said and done, I hadn't even clocked 5 hours in Homefront before the credits were rolling. (by the way, Homefront ends right as you actually start caring about the story and leaves you hanging with NOTHING but credits - Imagine playing your favorite shooter and then you're halfway through and your console breaks and you can't play it anymore. It's just like that). This was on normal difficulty with me deliberately trying to take the game slowly....picking my shots carefully from cover, not trying to rush through each firefight, exploring the environments when the game permitted, and searching out the "hidden" newspaper articles scattered throughout the levels.

I only paid about $30 bucks for this game (thanks to a gift card) and I feel ripped off. I really feel sorry for the console guys who purchased this at $60 retail. Ouch.

Visually and Aurally, nothing here is better than mediocre. The shooting mechanics in this SHOOTER game are poor, effectively making Homefront NOT FUN TO PLAY. There's little to no tactile feedback as the guns have very little recoil, and the firing sound effects, particularly when firing full auto, are underwhelming. The guns just lack "punch" and lack the feeling of power and heft that makes the shooting of other first person shooter games, namely BFBC2, exciting and visceral. To give the game some credit, the sniper rifles are decently done and the sniping parts of the campaign are fun.

The story is Homefront's best feature and everybody knows the story by now so I won't elaborate, but I will say this: As you fill the shoes of what is basically resistance fighter / insurgent, why not take advantage of the scenario and design your game around guerrilla tactics, setting up elaborate ambushes and using hit and run tactics, KAOS studios? Instead you're just another dumb grunt with a machine gun, going through the same levels we've all been through before, killing thousands of enemies. Cool story, same generic FPS. Way to miss the boat, KAOS.

I did play a couple hours worth of multiplayer. It's nothing exciting..more of the same. If you've played any of the recent CoD's and BFBC2, you'll know exactly what to expect. There's a slight twist in that you get BPs (battle points) from killing things - stop me if you've heard this one before - that you can spend on upgrades. The only difference between Homefront and other games is you can buy temporary upgrades in the middle of a match, be it a flak vest or a rocket launcher, to get you out of tight situations. That's it. More shooting, more starting at private and rising up to corporal, 50 bazillion sergeant ranks, lietuenant, captain, etc., more unlocking weapons that aren't actually upgrades. I'm blown away by how innovative all this is! (sarcasm). Also, you'll enjoy getting sniped and spawn camped perpetually in each and every match, at least until they start patching and working on the balance issues of what is essentially a post-launch multiplayer BETA.

Two strikes, yer out KAOS studios. Good effort. But not really.