Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2007 8:16:43 AM PST
nick says:
I am taking geometry currently and am about to go into high school. i want to get something that will last through college, but is allowed to be used in school and on tests/exams. it has to be able to be used in calculus and engineering (probably)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2007 2:41:01 PM PST
Hi Nick,

My son is in the same situation you are in. He HAD a TI-84 Silver Edition, but has lost it. I am making him replace it and was wondering if the 89 would be a better choice since it is only a few dollars more. Did you ever make a decision? If so, do you think it was the right one now?

Thanks,
Tommy Jones

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2007 10:40:54 PM PDT
cybertext says:
RE: "...but is allowed to be used in school and on tests/exams..."

No.

I'm reading each instructor has a preference for a calculator type. These are the: 1) Non-graphic; 2) Graphic; 3) Graphic with symbolic algebra.

Search on Google for 'TI-89 not recommended':
http://faculty.deanza.edu/bloomroberta/
http://webserver3.lanecc.edu/math/calculatorRec.htm

However, it is approved for the: AP, PSAT/NMSQT, SAT exams, & more.

If possible, I would map out where you are going and see if each instructor at the high school/campus will allow it, and then map the course route through the next campus to see if they'll let you.

I hope you don't end up learning what I saw...(2), maybe even all (3) calculators are going to need to be purchased at one point. That is just total non-sense. There needs to be a lock-out mechanism on the devices. Or...time to network with an upper level student and start getting used devices/borrowing gear for a year/semester.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 3:54:15 PM PST
MathFire says:
The TI-84 and TI-84 Silver Edition will be allowed in high school. In college by the second year, you will probably want a more powerful calculator such as the TI-89. Don't consider the TI nspire. It's not ready for prime time, but by the time you are in college, TI will probably have a TI-89 type of calculator with upgraded features.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 1:37:17 PM PDT
dash-o says:
The short answer is use what the teacher uses or what the school recommends. My kids go to different high schools and one of them takes AP (advanced placement) classes. Both schools advice getting a TI-84 Plus SE.

The 84 is approved for SAT yet in the case of my kids the high schools do not allow it simply because not all kids have an advanced calculator and it would be an unfair advantage...so they say.

The 89 will be better for college, but by then a HP 50g may be a better option.

See the following page: Which Calculator Is Right for Me?http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 1:51:38 AM PDT
ct says:
AP allows the TI-89. It's a better calculator than the TI-84. No way to argue otherwise. However, it comes down to whether or not your instructor allows you to use the algebra/calc features of the TI-89. The College Board does but for some reason there are still teachers in AP courses who insist that they use the TI-84. The IB exams do not allow the TI-89.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 5:48:21 PM PDT
Laura K says:
The TI 89 is not allowed on the ACT exam, but it is allowed on the AP and SAT. If you child is taking the ACT, it might be better for them to get comfortable with the TI84. I plan on waiting to buy a TI89 until my son is in college or is at least a senior taking AP Calculus. Until then the TI84 is fine.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 9:47:15 PM PDT
I have a ti84,ti 89, and I would recommend that you buy the ti 84, because a lot of teachers don't allow the ti 89 because of all the functions. (at least when I went to high school) Wait till you reach senior year or so to buy the ti 89. The ti 84 will do just fine for now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2011

Search Customer Discussions