Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 11, 2011
How do elephants communicate? How can you make your house greener? How does an iceburg form? How do they clean up after an oil spill? How is chocolate made?

These are just a few of the questions your kids will answer when they read the Time for Kids Big Book of How! Not only will they read, they will experiment! The book contains over 500 facts kids want to know, plus easy to read, step-by-step instructions on how to find the answers through experimentation! One of the best things about this book is the rich color photographs and special attention to detail that is present on each page.

My children ages 6, 7 and 9 have been seriously entertained by this book. It has been in our house for a little under a week and all three of my children have read, experimented, and thoroughly enjoyed it! These are the things theyfve done so far:

¡My 7-year-old read the and created his own Rainforest (pg.94), which was an excellent science experiement teaching concepts of water vapor, the water cycle, and plant life in the rain forest.
¡My 9-year-old read gHow is Ice Cream Made?h (pg 134) then involved both of her brothers in gHow to Make Ice Creamh (pg 138). Without any help, all three kids made and ate Vanilla Ice Cream with a few ingredients in a Ziplock Bag!
¡How to Make Blubber (pg 24) was an immediate interest of my 7-year-old and is younger brother. This was a messy but interesting experiment that neither of them needed any help putting together.
¡How to make a Baking Soda Boat (pg 104) was the experiment that occurred in our kitchen sink one morning. Whether they know it or not (they know!) this is Sir Issac Newtonfs Third Law of Motion!

Ifm a former middle school science teacher who is always looking for great material to keep my kids thinking throughout the summer and this is the best book for kids Ifve come across! HANDS DOWN!

Why do I love it? Because my kids love it while learning advanced science concepts! And they keep going back for more!
VINE VOICEon June 8, 2011
I know that this is a book out of the norm for this blog, but every once in awhile a book comes along for review that I just have to read! With a curious six year old in the house, my ears are constantly being flooded with questions on who, what, when, where, how and why. When I simply don't know, it frustrates my child to no end. So when reading this book, I marked a bunch of the pages for those questions that I know are on the horizon.

One of the best things about this book is the rich in color photographs and special attention to detail that is present on each page. For instance, my child wanted to make a paper airplane. Now it has been years since I have made a paper airplane and I couldn't even remember how. I looked in the index and sure enough it had it listed. I turned to the correct page and it gave me step by step instructions to make one. I must say, it helped tremendously and my airplane actually flew through the air! Score one for Mom and TIME For Kids!

Then with all of the news coverage of the recent NASA launch, my child had to keep asking how that rocket made it in the air. I grabbed my copy of this book and looked it up again. Sure enough, there was a page on how to launch a rocket! We looked at the explanations and diagrams and figured out how and why a rocket launches. Now, we didn't try this out because I didn't have the time that day, but I see a future Science Fair Project!

This book was amazing and my child can't stop looking through it. If you are a regular reader of TIME books, or if you are just wanting a great way to explain those curious questions your child likes to ask, then you need to get this book. Everything is discussed with a child's understanding in mind and explained easily for them to understand. Now if you will excuse me, we are going to go and test out the theory on what makes Popcorn Pop and enjoy our treats!
on July 8, 2011
I always pick these books up when they come out for my nephew which is a great thing when driving in the car for long stretches. I gave him this new installment the other day. Not only does he tear through it on his own, he actually takes them to school to share with his friends (apparently these books are a more elaborate version of a magazine he gets at school). I'm thrilled to see these little gems shining brightly while surrounded by newer technology that takes kids away from actually holding a book. These books offer an experience that can't be matched by modern technology and I'm thrilled to be the favorite uncle for always bringing the latest edition to him.
on January 26, 2012
I'm always reading reviews but never leaving any but this book was a hit with my family from the moment I opened the package so I had to come and write a review. It's broken up into chapters (animals,transportation,ect..) so you know what you will be learning about in that chapter instead of all mixed together like some books we have purchased. I have two boys (7 and 8) and a daughter that is 13. They have started the crystal project and my son took the book to school today to show his class how elephants communicate. We as a family will sit in the livingroom while my daughter holds the book someone will pick a number that will be the chapter we review and then someone else will pick another number and that will be the subject we read about that night. LOTS of GREAT information in the book and keeps kids attention! Can't say enough about how great this book is. 100% worth the money
on February 3, 2012
My 7 year old loves this book. It is full of interesting and fun facts that keep him wanting to read it. It helped to boost his curiosity to the point of wanting to check out books at the library or search for information on the internet on various topics he has read about in the book. We LOVE this book!
on May 9, 2014
Before passing this book on to my grand nephew, I read it and was amazed at "How" little I knew about the "how" of things. I found that I enjoy the Science channel's "How It's Made" series. Although this it written at a diferent level of understanding, I found it to be a refreshing way to be in the "know." My neice said that my grand nephew is always asking her and her husband questions...and in effect enlightening them, too.
on June 23, 2011
As a child I remember my parents ordering Time Life book collections. In fact they were some of my favorite reads as a teenage. Now they offer Time For Kids and I am so excited to share our first book from them, TIME For Kids Big Book of How. It has brought back a classic brand from my childhood and gave me an entirely new reason to love them again.

Big Book of How is simply amazing to say the least. The layout was easy for a child to navigate through. Even my seven year old could find what she wanted to look at, then flip to the correct page. Most recently she wanted to learned how to use a skateboard and we found a very instructional tutorial that offered visual guides as well as text.

This also explains everything from how to stay safe during a tornado to how does popcorn pop. I found it most helpful in answering the `why mom' questions that I get asked on a daily basis. Now if I don't know the answer, we check the book. Most often it has it in brightly colored pages and easy to understand writing.

Even now as I type my daughter is discussing how bread rises from the Big Book of How. Her curiosity is at an all time high since introducing this new read. I love what she is gaining from the short but complete explanations to one of life's biggest questions, HOW.
on May 25, 2015
My eight year old likes this because it has very cool and awesome facts about the human body, especially because he really wants to start studying the human body and see how gross and cool it is. It has fun food facts in it. It also has science things and science is a very amazing subject. And the science chapter is awesome. On the down side, in his own opinion, because it has some boring subjects like going green because you can easily learn about that by yourself by growing things. But otherwise, it is a nice book to read if you're looking to expand your brain!!!
on October 26, 2015
Iv'e been looking at these for some time I always trying to get him to read more. I finally bought two for my grandson man he was thrilled with them! He skyped me to tell me how much he liked them, yay TIME MAG!! I'll will be getting the rest for him a better reader is a better learner.
on May 28, 2015
I purchased this book as a Christmas gift for my nephew who loves to tell me facts about trains. I was hoping to expand his interests. My nephew is 12 and I was worried a book would not be the most fun gift, but the moment he opened it up, he started reading it and seemed to enjoy the information he was learning. His mom also thanked me for not getting him another train gift. :)