on July 23, 2012
I have used a lot of Tripp-Lite products over the years. Generally they are very well built and work well, hard, and long. Customer service on the rare times I've needed it has been very good. Generally their products cost more but are well worth the price.

From the description on Amazon.com when I looked at this product, it appeared that there was no way to mount this power strip to a wall or computer desk or whatever. Now that I have one, I can see there is, but read on.

"No mounting method" isn't a problem with many outlet strips. You don't usually want to access them often and they just lie on the floor under your desk gathering dust most of the time. This one, however needs to be somewhere convenient so you can reach the switches that are the heart of its purpose. Unless it is screwed or bolted down somehow, with all the power cords going to it, it is going to be very messy and slide around, get tugged around, and generally be a royal pain in the puss.

Back in the good 'ol days, many power strips had a little tab on each end with a hole in it so you could bolt/screw it down easily. Later they went to a rediculously bad system with slotted holes on the bottom. You had to precisely start screws into a wall (or whatever) then slide the power strip onto the screw heads. Of course there was then no way to tighten the screws so the thing was always loose and unstable. Yep. That is still the same bad system used by this power strip. Here are a few tips to help get it mounted.

1) Use a legal (8½x14") piece of paper (or larger) and place it over the back of the power strip. With a pen or pencil, poke holes where the mounting screws go. Now take this template to the place you want to mount the power strip and mark the hole locations with a pencil tip through the holes you just made.

2) After putting the power strip over the two (#8) screw heads and sliding the strip to latch them into place, screw another screw at the end of the outlet strip to block it from sliding back off the screws. Ugly but it helps. Otherwise the outlet strip WILL slide off it's mounting hardware sooner or later.

3) We had to mount one to the underside of a shelf and it was tough going. We just could NOT get the screws to go in straight. We finally mounted the outlet strip to a long narrow piece of wood then screwed the wood and strip to the underside of the shelf. That was much easier to do and worked out just fine. Again ugly, but effective.

Because the outlets are fairly close together, you're probably going to have some "wall wart" type power boxes blocking adjacent outlets. You can use a 6 inch or 1 foot long power cord extension to enable you to use all the outlets or you can plan ahead to use only some of them and just leave the others idle which is a waste.

So, "HEADS UP TRIPP LITE" Lets improve this device with some way to mount it easily and SECURELY(!) in a convenient position. (a tab on each end with a hole in it would be great!) A bit more spacing between at least some of the outlets would also be nice. Something else that would help would be if some of the outlets were rotated 90 degrees because some of the power plugs (like those for my cell phone and iPod) are much wider than they are deep and would fit in a single outlet space if the outlet was only facing the other way. Finally, some wall wart plugs block the switch. Perhaps the switches should be on the side of the outlet strip instead of on the same face with the outlets? Actually what would work great for me would be if the outlets were on the rear of the strip and the switches were on the front, directly opposite from the outlets. Lots of ways this puppy could be made better if someone would only take the trouble to think about it and do something!

Still, I'm glad I bought two of them. They are still pretty cool and awfully handy.
on May 21, 2013
I loved the idea of a surge protector with a switch on each outlet which would enable me to leave the chargers for cell phones, tablet, netbook, music player, etc. constantly plugged in without worrying about burning them out - plus no more misplaced chargers and I could create a central charging location for all small, portable electronics.

So pros is (a) switched outlets and (b) reasonable surge protection with EMI/RFI filtering, and (c) Lowered electrical costs - this was not helpful for me as I have switched outlets and/or separate surge protectors (i.e., all electronics I only use occasionally are on surge protectors that I keep switched off when not in use), but this is definitely a plus for many people.

The cons are as follows: (1) The plugs are much too close together. Since every one of my chargers has a power brick, some of the plugs were inevitably blocked with the result that I don't have enough available plugs for all devices (2) There is not enough space between each switch and the associated outlet - in some cases, I found that the power brick overlapped the switch, which meant the switch has to be turned on first, which ruined the whole point of this device; (3) The sockets were ridiculously tight and slightly misaligned, which screamed shoddy workmanship to me. I had to unplug the surge protector and very, very, very carefully use a screwdriver to get things lined up and to loosen the openings of the metal liners of every socket before I could manage to insert a single plug. Sheesh!!!; (4) The three-prong plug on this surge protector sticks out from the wall for about an inch and a half which limits where you can plug it in - this should really be a flat plug. In fact, I ended up having to daisy chain this with another surge protector that has a flat wall plug in order to set it up where I wanted it; and (5) this simply will NOT stay mounted on the wall - grrrrrr - I ended up using velcro and superglue in addition to the nails and it still isn't staying put. I saw a couple of reviews that posted suggestions on how to solve this, and I guess I'll have to try one or both of those.

So bottom line, this has horrible, horrible, horrible ergonomics and a somewhat questionable build quality - but it is the ONLY surge protector with a switch on each outlet I was able to find, it works, is awesomely convenient for my stated use (despite the cons) and Tripp Lite does have a reasonably good reputation. Note that I did find a switched power outlet (NOT a surge protector) made by Rosewill, but it also seemed to suffer from build quality issues. So unless and until someone makes something better . . .
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2012
This is a solid 7 socket surge protector. What's unique about it is that 6 of the plugs can be switched on and off independently. There is good spacing between the sockets but not enough to handle large transformers in every one of them. One of the sockets is always on with no switch. This unit can save you money IF you use it diligently. The way I use it is I plug in my "wall warts" and leave them there. When I need to charge a phone for example, I simply flip the switch. When I am finished, I turn it off again. This is a way to keep my transformers organized and ready to go. yeah it's another step, but it pays off in the long run in money saved if you take a bit of time to flip the on off switches.

I believe this is a new category of surge protector that will gain market momentum as people realize that plugs can use energy even when they aren't being used. Tripp Lite is known for it's quality products. It's a long established company. If you are diligent enough to turn the plugs on and off, you will get a lot of value out of this surge protector from Tripp Lite.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2012
Five stars for a good product, but it's not so great for all those gadget chargers I have.

Most of my charger plugs (all but one) fit sideways on this power strip so that they cover more than one outlet. My regular not-so-green power strip allows me to put most of these plugs side by side.

I love the individual power switches, but now I'm gonna have to buy a stack of 12-inch extension cords just to use this thing. Look carefully at your plugs. Look carefully at this power strip. Be sure it's what you want.
on July 20, 2013
I think every home with access to electricity can greatly benefit from this TLP76MSG.

I highly recommend it because :

(1)With a regular strip, you can only turn "all" the connected devices on or "all" of them off. With this, you turn on or off "only the devices you want" by pressing their individual switches. This saves electricity, wear and tear on devices. It has 7 outlets for a total of 1800 watts.

(2)Protect your expensive devices such as a $2500 stereo, $3000 laptop, from damages caused by sudden increases in electrical voltage, called surges or spikes, up to 1080 joules. A plain power strip offers no such protection.

(3)Tripp Lite will pay for equipment damages caused by surges while connected to this TLP76MSG for lifetime up to $25000 if you use it within USA or Canada. This insurance comes with no additional cost.

(4)Wear out the switches on this strip instead of the buttons on the printer, monitor, etc which cost more to repair or replace.

(5)EMI/RFI line noise filtering produces crisper videos, clearer sound for DVD player, TV, etc

(6)6 of the switches are "green" and will switch the devices off automatically when not in use.
Good for DVD player, printer etc. This saves electricity.

(7)Transformers, like the AC adapter of a computer or printer or modem, internal power supply of desktop computer produce heat even though the devices are turned off at the buttons. The switches cut power to the transformers and so cut the heat off. This saves electricity.

(8)One always-on outlet with always-on illuminated red light.

(9)The green LED is lighted if the surge protection is working, not lighted if bad.

It takes time to research these information. Please click "Yes" below this line if this review was helpful to you.
on August 10, 2012
The concept of this is excellent, especially when coupled with extenders (like Ziotek ZT1212518 Power Strip Liberator Plus with Pass Through, 5-Pack) to allow wall-warts without over-crowding. The LED for the always-on socket is very dim, but no matter. I have not spent any real time with this yet, so can't speak to reliability of the Chinese manufacturing (this is not your grandfather's Tripp-Lite), but there is one major negative in the context of my intended application: the two little holes on the back for wall-mounting are way too small, and are located on the wrong side of the back panel... ensuring that the forces of pulling out connectors exert maximum plastic-cracking leverage. I thought to open it up and fix this, but there are anti-tamper screws that discourage surgery and I haven't pressed the issue. This translates into having to fabricate aluminum brackets (2-1/8 wide and 1-3/8 tall) to clamp the thing to a wall.

Otherwise, individual socket switching is a wonderful thing and there are very few options out there.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As I'm sure is true for many, the area around my TV stand had taken on a life of its own as we added more and more electronic devices. I wanted a power strip with a surge protector that could accommodate our collection. I went with the TRIPP LITE in particular because we have several items plugged in that only get occasional use. It's a pain to move the TV stand every time you need to plug/unplug something. Being able to power down individual outlets with the click of a button means I just have to reach back and flick a switch, plus it helps save on the electric bill. If you're mindful of it, you can keep something like your TV powered down overnight when not in use. The always on outlet is great for a cable box, router, security system, or other item that you'll never power down. We've got an LCD TV, cable box, playstation III, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Router, and security system hooked up and it's all within easy reach. Would definitely recommend if you're trying to keep your electronics (and electric bill) in check.
on October 3, 2013
This surge protector has a solid feel to it and the switches seem like they will hold up to many cycles of turning them on and off. The end of the plug is straight in case you were wondering, but it works for me nonetheless. It is a little pricy for a surge protector/power strip, but there aren't many options for for power strips that have individual switches for the outlets.
on July 6, 2012
The switches feel like they are of decent quality. All of the outlets work as advertised and all of the plugs fit nice and snugly.

I have it mounted to the side of my desk so I can turn my computer peripherals on/off at will to save electricity.

The "always on" socket is also a nice addition. It provides a surge protected outlet that isn't switched off even if you flip the main switch for the power strip. I have my cable modem/router plugged into that so when I kill power to my computer my wifi devices still work throughout the house.
on February 18, 2014
I just bought this for my craft room. Not sure why glue guns, wood burners and other tools do not have on off switches, but many of them do not so this is wonderful for easily turning off individual tools that I don't need to use at the time.

On the downside and the reason I did not give it 5 stars is that I was not able to plug in my narrow 2 pronged plugs right away. It took a bit of effort to plug in a 2 prong that had one narrow and one wider prong, but I was able to insert that in the other outlets and after doing that, I was able to plug in the narrow 2 pronged plugs. The only other issue for me is it doesn't mount vertically very securely. Rather than having the screw holes along the center of the strip, they are along the side where the on/off switches so it's a bit wobbly. I didn't want to mount it horizontally because it's not wide enough to hit 2 studs and I didn't want to use a drywall anchor.