5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Early Results!
Published on June 6, 2005 by ChemEngineer

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service & Lacks Water Volume
I finally received a phone call from National Walking Sprinkler wanting to correct the problems I've had with my B3. We'll see how it comes out.

Update: We received replacement parts to replace the defective items that were damaged by careless assembly at the factory. It works better now but still doesn't flow as much water as advertised. For most of our...
Published 14 months ago by Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Early Results!, June 6, 2005
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
This is an initial reaction to the Rittenhouse traveling lawn sprinkler I recently purchased. As no one else has reviewed this device I though some input might be useful to readers. The reviews of many of the competitive models made it clear that the mechanical design and materials of construction would dictate performance and satisfaction. The Rittenhouse has run well and reliably right out of the box. The set up is simple; performance has been great, even going up and down modest grades. As an engineer, it's apparent what makes these fairly simple devices work...or not. This is a heavy cast iron machine with enough heft to track along the hose without problems. Weight makes a difference. Second, the gear mechanism is entirely metal. No plastic parts to break or strip due to stress and fatigue. It also looks simple to service and maintain with periodic lubrication. In recent years I have purchased a number of off-shore mechanical devices and machines. The quality has ranged from barely acceptable to poor. This "made in the US" product looks like a winner. I'll add some additional comments after the summer season to let readers and buyers have the benefit of more lawn sprinkling experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than nelson., May 29, 2006
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
i second bill's review above. I originally bought a nelson travelling sprinkler, but it was made of plastic gears (and broke 3 times on me). The rittenhouse travelling sprinker is 100x better because the gears are all metal, and the gear design is simpler and less prone to breaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, November 8, 2007
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
Like the other reviewers, I give this a 5-star rating. It works great, very adjustable, and is very strong. I plan to buy another next year for the front yard.

I have a large, damaged back yard that we re-seeded(fescue) last year. The damage is from erosion and dogs. We just could not keep the seed moist enough by hand watering as we are on water restrictions and can only water from midnight to 10 AM. This year, instead of wasting the $500 re-seeding charge, I invested a few hundred in sprinklers and timers.

Given the state of the yard: ruts, hills, etc., I am sure the weight and quality of this sprinkler are what get it through. Others would have tipped over or gotten stuck. It is giving the lawn a great soaking on high speed in the middle of the night.

One word of caution, which could apply to any automated watering system... even though I am not supposed to run it during the evening, I DO check that it is going to work correctly for about 2 minutes while it is still light out. I had two incidents (entirely my fault) that kept the tractor from moving and ended up with a mud puddle when I woke up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Value, Well Worth The Price, June 29, 2010
Christopher T. Dahle (Del Norte, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
Edited December 1, 2012 to add: These ARE available. It is a shame that Amazon won't contract with the American manufacturer of this outstanding sprinkler. "Rittenhouse" is a perfectly good garden supply house, but they do not manufacture this sprinkler. It is manufactured by The National Walking Sprinkler Company in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I cannot understand why Amazon doesn't stock these, but Google for National Walking Sprinkler and you will find one right away.

I've now had two of these for three summers and they continue to work flawlessly.

Original Review Follows:

My grandparents had this type of sprinkler and when I bought a home and discovered that rock filled subsoil made it prohibitively expensive to install underground sprinklers, I went out looking for the same thing. The sprinklers my ancestors had were already ancient when I was a child, rusty, clanky, veterans of many summers, they were nevertheless fascinating to watch as they perambulated around grandma's yard as well as they had for 30 or more years.

Unfortunately, the only comparable sprinklers I found were the bright yellow, plastic geared, functionally imitative, "train" sprinklers. In addition to being prone to gearbox failure, these were also incapable of dealing with typical lawn debris, frequently jumping off the hose and wandering aimlessly until hitting an obstruction, turning over, or destroying themselves against retaining walls, tree trunks and pebbles.

It took me twelve years to discover that the National Walking Sprinkler was still being manufactured in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA, according to a design perfected 80 years ago.

The National Walking Sprinkler is is the "real deal". Manufactured from meticulously machined components of stainless steel, brass, and aluminum, sturdily fastened to a rugged, cast iron chassis, drivetrain, and wheels, this is a solid, durable, bombproof sprinkler. It's built like a steam locomotive. Moreover, in the unlikely event that it does need to be repaired, it comes apart (yes, I could not resist taking mine apart) with basic hand tools, and goes back together quickly and easily.

The model shown here is the "B-3", intended for large lawns at institutions and estates, but it has been quite serviceable for my smaller yard as well. There is also a smaller, lighter "A-5" model which, the manufacturer says, is not able to drag as much hose, and a "D" model, which is functionally and mechanically comparable, but which has been cosmetically altered to look like a tractor.

National sells a complete line of accessories such as wheel weights to increase traction, smooth wooden wheels to allow the sprinkler to travel over newly seeded ground, and replacement parts in the unlikely event that anything breaks. I'm not seeing any repairs as likely in the future, but it's nice to know that I COULD repair it if I had to.

My model B-3 sprinkler has had a real workout since it arrived three weeks ago, and has proven itself capable of pushing small tree branches out of it's way, negotiating grass that had grown to 2 feet in depth, (lawnmower was in the shop), and shrugging off the attention of two small children who were discovered pushing it around on the driveway as if it were a toy truck.

The sprinkler will need periodic maintenance in the form of lubrication at the clearly visible oil ports machined into the castings. The wear and lubrication points are obvious and easily accessible, and with proper attention and care, I fully expect to still be using this sprinkler 30 years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Traveling Sprinkler, July 13, 2008
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
Excellent quality. Work's very well. A solid product made in the US for a change! highly recommend it.
Wish more products were made in this Country with such integrity instead of in China.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful labor-saving sprinkler, September 10, 2007
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
We bought this rather pricey walking sprinkler after having 2 of its competitors fail when the plastic gears broke. We have almost 2 acres of yard to water. The sprinkler is pulling 250' of hose (which is probably why the plastic gears did not hold up on the other sprinklers.) This sprinkler is all metal and very heavy. It spreads water more evenly and deeply and is very adjustable. Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the Money!, July 15, 2009
Todd Ehman (Lansing, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
The hardest choice in purchasing this product was the $178.00 price tag. The weight and the design of this walk along sprinkler is the selling point. No plastic parts to strip or wear out. Every review on this sprinkler was a five star and rightly so. Reviews on the competitors were all over the map. Most of the positive reviews on other tractor sprinklers were, "I've had the sprinkler for two weeks and I love it." The Rittenhouse throws water up to 50 foot and is able to pull 250 foot of hose. Others could pull around 50 foot. The only draw back on the Rittenhouse is that it does not come with an auto shut off where the competitors do. Is this product worth $178.00? Compared to my neighbors $4,000 under ground system just installed... Yep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old U.S.A, June 21, 2009
C. Moller (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
All I can say about this unit is buy the best and cry only once. It's a real meat and potato kind of sprinkler. and made in this Country. Imagine that

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a National Walking Sprinkler., May 7, 2012
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
The National Walking Sprinkler company in Beatrice Nebraska is the product maker and manufactured sprinklers under the Kees brand as well for some years. You can buy direct from them today. These are traveling sprinklers without equal.

5.0 out of 5 stars walking sprinkler, October 3, 2007
This review is from: Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
This is an addition to Deanna's comment previously submitted. The product is fashioned after the Kees Krawler which we used for many years until it just wore out. The unit being reviewed is a replacement for the Kees Krawler and does an excellent job of following the hose and distributing water uniformly on the lawn. This sprinkler may be even better than the Kees as it is heavier and can pull more hose. It works at the same speed as the Kees and we are completely satisfied with the product.

Deanna's husband

Walking Sprinkler - Cast Iron
$210.05
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies