Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

on May 3, 2009
Up until now, hot flashes from menopause have been disrupting my sleep for weeks. My only way to cope has been to crank the thermostat down to 70 degrees at night (wasting energy to cool the entire house), and set up a fan next to the bed to blow directly on me. Even so, I'd wake up several times a night, fling off the covers, cool off, then get too cold, and pull the covers back over my head. The annoyance and sleep deprivation made me desperate enough to spend $80 on a solution, and I'm glad I did.

The Bed Fan took me about 5 minutes to set up, and worked great from the very start. I started out with the unit turned to a medium-intensity setting, and soon discovered that I could turn it down to a very low setting and stay plenty cool. The fan is blissfully quiet compared to the room fan I'd been using, and I appreciate not having to supercool the bedroom. There's enough clearance under the top sheet (where the fan frame holds up the sheet at the foot of the bed) to allow me to turn over, move around, get in and out of bed without the sheet coming undone. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it does seem rather overpriced, especially given the less-than-substantial feel of the plastic.
on October 15, 2008
While the idea behind this product is a very good one (get air moving under the sheets for hot sleepers), they didn't quite nail it down.
For starters in order for this to work as advertised you have lay still while you sleep, in my case I'm a very active sleeper, this sometimes causes the sheets to come undone near where the bedfan sits, blowing the sheets off my lower body and at this point might as well just use a ceiling fan, however to prevent this we used a comforter but then that caused a different problem because of the heavier nature of comforters it held down the sheets to the point that no air was moving to my upper body and my feet would get very cold, making me turn off the bedfan.
Also the unit I received had very loud fans, made of mostly ABS plastics and velcro, for the price I'm sure they could've found some better fans, with better CFM and less DCB.
I'd be willing to give this product another try if they ever have a redesigned version.
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2012
Since I got this fan, my sleep has been uninterrupted and full of dreams.

Overall, this is a very innovative fan and something that a lot of restless sleepers could use. The fan attaches to your bed and your sheets go over the fan. It blows cool air under your sheets, keeping you from getting too hot. I don't know how many nights sleep I have lost to "Too Hot-kick off the sheets/ Too Cold-pull them back on".

It will take a little trial and error to position it just right for you. You can put it at the foot of your bed or on the side. For me, I found on the side even with my knees is perfect.

Now there is one aspect of the fan that does need a little improvement, the control.

The control box is connected with a wire, but not to the fan, but to the AC plug. This means if you plug-in is at the head of your bed, you can control it while in bed. But if you plug-in is at the foot of you bed, you will need to get up to adjust it. Future models really need to connect to the fan. Also, the control is a dial, with no numbers or notches. So when you find that perfect setting, there is no guide to keeping it there. If the on/off switch was separate, you could just leave it there, but you have to turn the knob to turn it off. The fan is also very quiet, even on its maximum setting, but it is almost too quite. You may forget to turn it off in the morning. A LED light would be a good addition not only to see if it is on or off, but also to help find the control in the dark of night.

And there are no instructions included with the fan. You are directed to a website to download the manual. It is nice that the company wants to "Save a Tree", but the fact that they include a page of paper to tell us all this is counter productive.
on June 8, 2011
This is just a tentative review as I just received the Bed Fan today. Setup is super easy, it's as simple as plugging it in and adjusting the height of bar that directs airflow. The fan is really quiet until you get close to having it on full-blast. So far it works just as described, however, I have a rather heavy down comforter and I'm not sure the airflow is strong enough to circulate air underneath it. After trying it a night or two I'll write an update. Let's hope it does work because it could be ice cold in my bedroom and I'd still wake up soaked with sweat in the middle of the night!

A couple of frustrations have cropped up as I have used The bed fan for a couple of weeks now. First and foremost, it is way too light to remain stable, even with the sheets tucked around it as per the instructions. Pulling the covers up toward my shoulders pulls the fan forward with them and makes the base slide away from the bed. Any further movement from the covers at this point causes the fan to clank against the wooden platform base of my bed. Very annoying! What I plan to do is tape the fan to the bed with some clear box tape. Oh yeah and the little Velcro thing doesn't work on my particular platform bed.
The next annoyance is the noise. Usually the sound of a fan is actually quite soothing to me, even a roaring attic fan somehow lulls me, but the sound of The Bed Fan is quite irritating. The box fan I use in my room is much louder and I find it very pleasant, so the problem is not decibel level of The Bed Fan, it's the sound quality. The only way I can make the comparison is to say that The Bed Fan creates an unpleasant droning hum as opposed to the rushing, white-noise sound of a typical fan. Perhaps I sound picky-unish but in the middle of the night the gravity of these minor annoyances is greatly magnified.
on August 27, 2011
I bought the bedfan for my son, who was complaining that our air conditioning was not cool enough for him. He ended up putting the fan on the side of his bed to cool his body, rather than his feet and legs. He loves it! It took him a while to get used to the fan, and regulate it properly to his liking.
on September 7, 2009
I have extremely dry eyes - in the morning, it can be agony to open them. Any fan, including the ceiling fan, moving air around the room just made it so much worse. So, I got this for my husband who prefers a fan and moving air.

It does take a little fuss and trial and error to get it right, and you do need to use sheets with a fairly high thread count, and hubby says occasionally he needs to wear socks so his feet don't freeze while the rest of him is cooling down.

Otherwise, it works pretty well. Occasionally, I can feel it on my side of the bed, but I've found that throwing a pillow between our feet fixes that. It has cut my morning eye pain in half, and that's worth a lot of fussing to get it set up just right.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2012
I bought this fan for DH last Christmas. The first few weeks were frustrating as the fan kept ending up on the floor every morning- no amount of Velcro would keep the fan up when my hubby kicked it in the middle of the night. The problem was solved by securing it to the bed with a bungee cord.
Another problem was that my husband is an active sleeper who tosses frequently and for this fan to be effective, it needs to be tucked under a sheet. Many mornings we would find it blowing air on top of the covers keeping the cat (who sleeps with us) cool. I ended up securing the sheet around the fan with safety pins.
Although my mate is a hot sleeper, I am often still cold with two comforters on me... this fan made my feet freeze- I had to wear socks to bed to avoid this.
Just when I thought the problems were solved, one of the two fans went out after about 4 or 5 months of use. I thought perhaps I could clear a fuzz ball or something to get it to work again like our other fan, but there is no way to open it without breaking it :(
So here it is not even a year after my initial purchase and the second fan has gone out- no way to open it up and fix it, so it is going in the garbage... It's just way too expensive of a product to replace every year, so we will not be buying a new one- at least not this design. I've seen a similar product (but wireless) at the Brookstone store (and for a similar price if I remember correctly), so I might invest in that one and write to tell about it next year ;)
on July 29, 2009
Bedfan pulls the heavier, cooler air from under my bed, and routes it under my sheet, keeping me cool, while the higher parts of the room can be warmer.

- The manufacturer recommends using a top-sheet, with 400 threads per inch.
- The air leaked out of my budget, 200 thread-count sheet, so it would not fully inflate.

- If you are warm, it is counter-productive to put a comforter over your top-sheet, which is like donning a parka, because your windbreaker was flapping in the wind.
- Instead, make your top-sheet extra-secure, by also using Sheet-Straps4 BED Sheet GRIPPERS garters bedding straps suspenders. These are elastic, with garter-style ends, that you put diagonally under the corners, especially at the foot of your bed, if you tend to have "restless legs."

- My feet hang off the end of the bed, so I the Bedfan at the side, about knee-level. I use a Sheet Straps on the opposite side of the Bedfan, helping seal the sheet, holding it firmly against the unit. Duct tape could work, as well, but I don't like its adhesive residue.

- If the Bedfan were made of metal, it would have to be stamped and formed, or extruded, which is more expensive to fabricate. The increased weight would add to shipping costs.

- The velcro for the Breeze Bar is an excellent idea. This way, the Breeze Bar can give way, when kicked by "restless legs." If it did not, someone would damage their feet, sue the company, and thereby, deprive everyone else access to a great product, if the company were put out of business.

~From included manual:~

To Get The Most Out of Your Bedfan:

- Sheets with a low thread count will allow air to pass through at the foot of the bed...
- The higher the thread count on the sheets, the tighter the weave...
- With a loose weave the air will exit from between your sheets, very early and never make it to your upper body. We recommend a thread count of 400 or better.

- When you have the full effect of the Bedfan, thanks to quality sheets, you will not have to turn it up as high, it won't make as much noise, and you will sleep much cooler.

How to use your Bedfan:

- When you are lying in bed you should be able to put your big toe under the breeze bar, just to make sure that it is high enough.
- If you cannot put your big toe under the breezebar, it is not high enough.
- If it is not high enough, it will not put out enough air. You will end up having to run the Bedfan at a much higher speed than is needed.
on May 26, 2015
This is a long review, so bear with me. I live in an open loft. My bed is in a spot which I call The Tree House, is 42 feet up. There are no windows for a window a/c, and the skylights do not open.

I have central a/c but the highest ducts are only about 30 feet up - well below my bed space.

I've been on a mission to get comfortable up there. First, I tried moisture-wicking sheets and moisture-wicking yoga clothes for sleep. Those wicked away the sweat, but I still was sweating. Miserable.

Then I got a bunch of Lasko home air movers which are FANTASTIC - they move air from the bottom floor all the way up to 42 feet. But it wasn't enough. So I put a Vornado tower fan (also fantastic) at the edge of my bed. Still not enough. I was sweating like crazy, and absolutely miserable.

Tried cooling pads, which just get hot! Cooling mattress pad also just gets hot! More misery.

I read the reviews on this bed fan and decided to go ahead and buy it. I HATE the feeling of fans on my skin, but determined this was the only option, based on the positive reviews. I figured I could get used to the fan on my skin, even though I hate that sensation.

This bed fan was super easy to set up. I followed the instructions online, it took maybe two minutes tops to set up. It does feel really cheaply made, but it hasn't fallen over or anything yet.

The fans are at the bottom of the unit. Not the top, so of course I was concerned this was another dud. I turned the fan on and laid down and was NOT impressed. I was boiling.

I was, however, pleasantly surprised that this fan does not give the sensation of a strong fan blowing on your skin. Since the fans are at the base of the unit, the breeze really does feel like a breeze instead of a fan assaulting your skin.

More than anything, all it did was lift the wicking sheet off my body. Like I said - I was disheartened and disappointed, figuring my misery would last forever.

However, as I was reading in my bed, and my body cooled down, I started to feel the benefits of this fan. At first it felt hot and useless. But again, after I stayed still for a while, it really cooled me down.

I've only been using it for three days, but these have been the first three days with no sweat since I moved in two years ago.

The fan actually makes me too cool as the night goes on! I snuggle with my down comforter on the top of my body, leaving just the wicking sheet on my lower body. Thee gentle breeze on my feet at the end of the bed keeps me from sweating.

Again, this fan basically lifts the sheet up, which keeps heat from getting trapped. It does not blow on you like the harshness of a strong fan. It creates a "bubble"-like space so your body can breathe.

So far, three days in, I can say this is the one gadget that has worked in my unusual home setup.

I will update as I continue to use it, but for right now, I am pleased.

Also, it is important to note that this bed fan only works on one side of the bed. It lifts the sheets for me, but not for my husband. All the benefits are for one person. - if two people are hot, you will need to buy two.
on May 27, 2009
The concept is great! The results are good, but the product needs fine tuning. I found it to be a bit flimsy, and not quite powerful enough for a hot-sleeper in TEXAS. The bridge should be attached more securely, not just a velcro strip. The small foam blocks are a joke. After adjusting them the first few nights, they were flat and useless. I must use the larger foam blocks used in the shipping box for effective security of the sheet. It is effective in keeping me cool, but I'll be surprised if it holds up longer than a few months. It just needs to grow up into a heavier more durable product. I'll be first in line to try it when it becomes available.