This is a review for TP-Link 4-Port 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router (TD-W8968).

Published on February 7, 2013 by I love Amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Issues with Mac and Xbox 360
For some reason this router does not work well with my Mac. When I am connected via Wi-Fi it is great however, if the computer goes to sleep or I shut it down it will not re-connect, even after rebooting. I am forced to hardwire it while rebooting and use it, then disconnect the hardwire and it will generally work. My two Android devices and TV are always connected...
Published 4 months ago by Buzzardjrt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and inexpensive device, heat distribution is very well engineered., February 7, 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TD-W8968 Wireless N300 ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, Splitter, USB, 2x 5dBi Detachable Antennas (Personal Computers)

Let me start out by saying that the number one reason that inexpensive modems and combo router devices malfunction and die, is overheating. I have probably gone through 5 modems in my lifetime that all had overheating issues. My last modem from Embarq, the Zyxel 660 was plagued by the same issues, as all the other ones. Connection would slow down or drop because the modem overheated constantly, especially when used with high bandwidth streaming applications, like Netflix and Youtube. After an hour or 2 of Netflix the modem would overheat and drop the connection. So after reading the reviews online and taking a look at the physical specs of a few modems and combo devices I decided on this one, because I saw the air circulation design of the chassis. When it arrived I set it up without a problem by copying the VPI/VCI and login settings from my old Zyxel modem into the TP-Link modem / router and it connected to my ISP right away. One of the very first things I noticed about it, was the fact that it actually works at the peak of my ISP's bandwidth unlike the Zyxel, so my Internet speed has gone up about 15% or so (tested with speakeasy bandwidth test). This device also seems to stay alot cooler to the touch (YAY!), thanks to all the holes and recessed grooves on top of the chassis which lets the air flow through from the bottom up. This thing has not dropped the internet connection since I plugged it in (about 24 hours now). Also my WiFi works a whole lot better, I get more bars in the far corners of the house and my daughter's tablet no longer drops signal in the middle of a Netflix cartoon. I don't really use TP-Link's remote storage features. As another reviewer here said, the storage transfer speeds are pretty bad, but this isn't a concern to me as I have a separate NAS, which I use to stream movies and media from. Mostly I am glad that I so very correctly figured that it's design would help heat dissipation and prevent overheating. I feel that it has solved the overheating issues very elegantly. Excellent design TP-Link! This is another fine example of figuring out a simple solution to a common problem. Not to mention affordable too. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router - not so good extra features, November 20, 2012
THE GOOD:
The TD-W8968 is a very good router/modem. It's super easy to set up, had no problem connecting to the adsl line and the wifi range and quality is impressive.
It also has many features for advanced users: IPv6 support (after firmware upgrade), MAC filtering, Parental control, Bandwidth control and many other features.
Overall all you can ask from a home adsl modem/router and at a very low price.
THE BAD:
I bough this adsl router/modem after owning a TP-Link TD-W8960N for a year now.
The 8960 is a very good router but I decided to upgrade to the TD-W8968 since it added a useful feature.
The 8968 has a USB port that can be used to connect to an external hard-drive. The media on the connected drive can be shared via SMB/CIFS/FTP/DLNA over the home network making the router a media hub for the whole family. This, I though, will spare me the need to have a dedicated media server.
However, I was disappointed.
It seems that the speed of the USB port is very slow. Reading from a drive connected to the usb is done at 2000 Kbytes/sec at best and writing is at a meager 650 Kbytes/sec. This is far below the 30000 Kbytes/sec I get when connecting portable drive to a PC. These slow speeds makes it possible to use this router as a media server only for audio and low quality video files. High quality video files will just take too long to transfer to the driver and it won't be possible to stream them to the home devices connected to the router. The media sharing only worked using the SMB/FTP protocols. Trying to use DLNA devices failed on several devices. I hope that future firmware upgrades will solve this annoying issues.
CONCLUSION
Another great adsl modem/router from TP-Link but the usb feature is not as good as I've hoped for. If you don't need the usb, go for the TD-W8960N and save a few bucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars TP Link is great!, April 22, 2013
Penny Nicolai (Black River Falls, WI, US) - See all my reviews
Very satisfied with the modem router. I had a westell prior to this with Centurytel internet. I was constantly having to restart the router as it seemed to die just about every day. After deciding Westell was junk I started shopping and decided to try TP. The only thing that prevented me from giving it a perfect 5 was that it would be nice to be able to set up a guest account for visitors. My kids sometimes have friends over with laptops but I really don't want to grant them full network access. While we're out in the "boonies" and it's unlikely someone will pick up the wifi I don't want to give someone the opportunity to access it remotely and changing passwords is a pain. Having a simple on/off switch for guest control would be a great feature. Otherwise, I have been very happy. I run Netflix through a Roku on this router while we are running four computers. All of this is on just over 1/2 a meg (670 or thereabouts). We have limited DSL in our area and no wireless companies around so we have to have a good router. This one seems to do the job nicely. Simple to set up, good instructions, and has been stable so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Router/Modem, better than the previous, January 28, 2013
My level of knowledge is intermediate and it was very easy to install and configure. It took me about 15 minutes at the most. I started by copying all the data from the modem that I had (it is highly recommended since it ask you some technical data from it). You have to run the CD that comes with the TD-W8968 and it is very simple since it asks you the information clearly.

Now I have fewer cables since before I had a router and a modem.

The only thing that I might see as an issue is that it runs a bit hot to the touch. Other than that, I have seen a big improvement in WIFI strength and speed compare to my old modem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed for the money., September 6, 2013
For simple users. The Adsl and router platform is very easy to use. All you really need is your username and password from your isp. This router can detect subnet and dns servers automatically. The range is very good. I previously had a netgear N300 and its better if not the same. For more advanced users...I had to do a firmware upgrade right away. You have to download it from their website then upload. I did it wirelessly, but I'm a cowboy and like to take risks. I get wireless connections at true N300 (150in and out). There is no way to adjust it down to N150 speeds like other routers (75 in and 75 out). It still connects to g devices (Chinese security ipcam I have) just fine. I bought this router for the software TP- Link runs on it. This router features are comparable to $500+ routers. I was looking for something that had true bandwitdh control and not just Qos. You are able to set up a range of IP addresses and put a minimum allowance and a maximum that it will allow the ranges when no load or heavy load is present. You are also able to give each range (group) a priority. For example I get 4000kbps down and 1000kbps up (its the best we have in our location don't laugh). I assigned my laptop and Ipad in the same group with a priority of 1. I set the minimum download at 2000kbps and the minimum upload at 500kbps. I set the dhcp group with priority 2. My laptop and iPad are always guaranteed the minimums. The dhcp group (all not fixed ips) will only suffer if the isp cant provide the minimums or if multiple people are streaming at the same time. You are also able to set max in case you don't want all your speed being tied up by any device (maybe it would avoid a delay till throttling engaged). It has a very easy ip address reservation tool. I use port forwarding and configured the port myself but upnp is available too. I have a wired bridge for the top floor of my home set up on this (its actually my old netgear N300). At first it gave me trouble because I was unaware that this router software was so advanced that it is able to recognize and map the bridge. I set up the tp link to recognize the bridge as a connection and wham!! The access point pings and almost the same speed as the main router. Obviously I have the dhcp off on the AP and I set a fixed address reservation for it on the Tplink. Another cool feature is that you can see your line signal quality right inside the login interface. I am overall very happy with this router/modem. I have had it for 2 months now it gets heavy use and it seems to be holding up fine. It gets a little warm so I set it up on its side to increase air flow to it. This is my first TPlink product and if my netgear fails I will replace it with another Tplink.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally works well with some occasional hiccups, April 9, 2013
For the price of this router it does an mixing job. Occasionally I have to reboot the router but I am not sure if that has to do with the stability of the router or the settings for my ISP (since they don't publish the exact settings and I am just using some settings I found on the Internet).

Overall it works pretty well, the range of the wireless is pretty good.

The router admin page could be improved especially the logging, it doesn't show a lot of information even in the most detailed log settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, February 19, 2013
After reading the reviews - I was anxious about buying this - It worked perfectly with our carrier. I would however, call your carrier and make sure it would be compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Might not be the best modem-router but it ROCKS!, January 31, 2013
I am hesitant to purchase TP-Link modem-router before since I have not heard this brand. I also do not know where it was made and it might be "another" modem-router that will waste my money. After a long research of modem-router and looking at forums, it does not make sense to buy an expensive and branded modem-router when I will only use it at home. I decided to buy this TP-Link 4-Port 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router (TD-W8968) which satisfies my home network needs.

I was amazed that it was small. Powering it up and connected to my computer is easy. I copied all the parameters on my Verizon Westell (running at 5K/1K) to make sure that the transition will be smooth. Important thing I did also is to copy the MAC address of my old one and clone it to this new modem-router. Configuring wireless security is cool. After configuring everything, all connections (wired and wireless) are good. I have 3 hardwired connections (1 pc and another router connected to Xbox and WII) and multiple wireless gadgets (3 iOS6, 1 Android and 2 laptops.) I tried running different websites online video streamings simultaneously on 2 Ipads, 1 laptop, Xbox and WII - WOW, no lags on any of them. I even let my son play COD while in video streamings with other gadgets - no lags. (With Verizon Westell, it kills the online connection on COD.) I am very impressed. It is running for a week now and I say that everything is working stable and good. I have not made an firmware upgrade yet since I'm still observing it while also doing some tweaks on the configuration.

Update: My children are very happy that their iPads got faster response in the internet but cannot stop them from using it until the late hours of the night. So, I configured the Firewall option of this modem-router, for the internet to be accessible from 7am to 9pm only on their iPads, XBox and WII. I am very happy that this modem-router has this option. I also tried the Bandwidth Control option which gave my video streaming devices a faster response. I really like this device.

I give it a 5-star. Not top brand and not expensive. Very impressive!

4.0 out of 5 stars Functions flawlessly after firmware upgrade., December 16, 2012
I rated it 4 stars instead of 5 stars since I had to upgrade the firmware to get the Wireless MAC address enable/disable feature to function correctly. With the firmware it shipped with when disabling for enabling this function all the wireless devices would get disconnected. After the firmware update only the laptops with the MAC addresses I entered are disconnected when I click the enable button. I use this feature for the kids laptops to give them access at certain times. This ADSL2+ router functions very good. 19,828 Kbps download and 1274 Kbps upload. The wireless range is very good, My cell phone connects to the router about 1500 feet from the house. I previously owned the BEC-5200 which disconnected from the DSL line every day. The TD-W8968 stays connected continuously. The router has a step by step setup wizard which will help you setup your new router. Be sure to have your setup information available from your ISP or from your old ADSL router. I recommend this product as it is serving my needs perfectly. I wouldn't worry about purchasing a new TD-W8968 as it will probably ship with the new firmware.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like TP Link products and this one seems just as good, December 20, 2013
I was wary of purchasing this router because of the reviews mentioning dropouts. My previous router was a TP Link and I liked it so I went ahead and purchased this one.

The router has all the options you can think of and seemed to work well. Then I started having dropout problems. I thought "Oh No. This was a mistake". Hoping I was wrong I contacted the ISP to see if there was a line problem. They said "No", but there might be a problem with the wiring at the house. I went and looked at it and it was a mess, but the connections looked like they were hooked up properly. I went back and forth with the ISP a few more times to make certain it was not them since the router was brand new and I felt that TP Link products were good. They continued to insist their end was fine and the problem must be the house wiring. Or to my own mind the new router.

Finally in a fit of frustration when the router was literally disconnecting every 10 minutes, I cut and pasted the ad from my local cable company into an email and sent that to the ISP. I think my intent was clear even though I did not write any words referencing the ad in the email. The message was "Fix this connection or I am going to cable".

You know what? The next day the connection was fine. And the day after that. And the week after that. And it has been fine ever since. I think maybe it disconnected during a storm once.

So what is the moral of this review? I think a lot of those people with disconnection problems probably have a line or ISP problem. I think TP Link make trustworthy products. I think if your ISP is telling you your brand new TP Link modem is bad, what you need to do is make your ISP seriously believe they will lose a customer if they don't quite making excuses and fix your line, and once you do that, you will discover your brand new TP Link router modem really does work like a brand new router modem with no problems at all.