Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Capacity: AV500|Model: 1-Port|Change

on October 7, 2013
We live in a 100 year old house with plaster walls underneath wood paneling. Pity us. Wireless will not penetrate the walls no matter how many repeaters / antennae / amps / cats with tinfoil you place. My 14 year old daughter was throwing a stereotypical teenage girl conniption fit that her wireless kept dropping out, had a 1mbps downstream, and was generally poo. After some last ditch settings adjustments I ordered these, on the advice from a popular hardware forum.
While they were a little fiddly to initially pair, once I got them installed, it was magic. Digital unicorns flew out of my daughter's Tumblr feed at the speed of 30mbps, and she no longer things I'm a moron.

In other words, works awesome.
5656 comments| 1,721 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2014
Really works just as advertised, as easy as plugging in and going. Set up a router as an access point in a spotty area and now I can get signal where I couldn't before.

I was dumb and didn't read directions - you must plug into outlet (not a power strip) or the signal will degrade. I saw about a 70% degradation when I used power strips on both ends.
55 comments| 282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 13, 2013
I've been a Network Engineer for over 10 years and ever since I've dealt with computers, cabling is one of the worst aspects of the job. I can't tell you how many times I've run/extended CAT3/CAT5/CAT5e/CAT6 cabling and ended up terminating both ends and testing them. Some situations are easier than others when you're allowed to run a cable across the floor or above ceiling tile... but in other situations like getting networking in a certain room in your house can be a total pain in the butt.

For the average home user, the only way to get networking from point A to your house to point B is either wired with cabling or use WiFi & bridging if the WiFi didn't extend far enough. When Powerline technology came out it added convenience of using existing power cabling but still was a little flaky and troublesome. But since then, Powerline has jumped leaps and bounds since and is much more reliable & faster.

When it came time to buy originally back in July 2012, I put a lot of research into looking into the latest powerline solution for my home. I wanted something with high performance and the current version of "high performance Powerline devices" allows 500Mbps transfer rate. Even still, I was having trouble selecting which manufacturer to go with (Belkin, Cisco, Netgear, etc). After my homework (and despite Netgear's horrible sales support), I ended up with the NETGEAR Powerline 500Mbps Nano Adapter - Starter Kit (XAVB5101).

Despite the insane price point (currently $87.99 on Amazon - 12/13/2013; I bought these for $108 back in July 2012), the Netgear adapters worked wonderfully in my home. I was able to maintain faster throughput from device to device while on wired Ethernet while not saturating my WiFi network. However, over the course of a year and a half, the number of devices I had in my house grew considerably (especially over WiFi).

In the past year, I added a few cell phones, a laptop, a tablet, a Roku 3, a Western Digital TV Live, 2 Chromecasts, and a new Smart TV. Because of that, my WiFi started to become degraded because every single one of those new devices was connecting to my network over WiFi. When multiple devices would start streaming things like Netflix and I was doing transfers from my media server to a PC, Netflix would stutter and my WiFi throughput would literally crawl slower than a snail on a salt bed. That's when I realized I needed to invest in more Powerline Adapters for certain rooms to speed up transfers as well as help reduce the load of my WiFi network.

But you see, despite being pleased with my Netgear adapters, I didn't want to spend another $100. A friend of mine (who I told the Netgear adapters about) bought another brand of Powerline AV 500Mbit adapters from a company called TP-Link to save money. He said they worked pretty good. After finding out that they were $35 on Amazon, I immediately pulled the trigger. I mean after all, I had a word of mouth approval from a friend and you can't argue saving over $50 vs another set of my Netgear adapters... the result? Absolutely no difference in speeds.

Just like the Netgear adapters, these are essentially Plug & Play. There were literally no problems connecting these in my house. I went to the living room where I needed wired connectivity and plugged these up to the wall. The TP-Link adapter immediately recognized my existing Netgear Powerline adapters and the 2nd LED (Powerline LED indicator) immediately lit up. I plugged in my small 10/100 switch to it and then my Roku & TV up to it and the 3rd LED (Ethernet indicator) lit up and the devices could not only talk to other devices on my LAN, but they had Internet access as well. I personally noticed NO DIFFERENCE in throughput speeds both within the LAN and the Internet.

The *ONLY* difference between the TP-Link set and the Netgear is the that the TP-Link doesn't tell you the "current speed" of that adapter's Powerline network. The Netgear has multicolored LEDs that indicate the speed of your Powerline network. While this normally won't matter to a lot of people, it will tell you whether you are having degraded performance within your home's electrical wiring. It also aids in troubleshooting as well. But it's not a show stopper...

Personally, I would recommend this product over the Netgear adapters I have.
1. The price is a LOT cheaper.
2. TP-Link has a TWO YEAR WARRANTY vs the Netgear's ONE YEAR WARRANTY. If you're really concerned on whether you're buying "a crap product", rest assured that this works just as good as the bigger name brands and you have an extra year of product care!

Highly recommended.
4343 comments| 950 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2015
After some research I purchased this product over the Netgear WiFi extender due to having multiple wireless devices already on my network and to have a more "hard wired" wireless approach. I received the adapters quickly with prime. The setup was so easy I had to run to make this review. I unboxed and although the reviews and instructions say not to plug into a power strip I did anyway and on both sides. The circuit where my Swann DVR is located is not on the same circuit. The DVR is clear on the other side of my 4 bedroom single story house. All I did was plug in the adapters, plug in the Cat5 cables, power on the DVR and the router, Push the two link buttons (not at the same time) on the adapters and I was streaming live video on my android phone. Awesome! I would've given this product more than 5 stars.If this review helped you please vote my review.

UPDATE: 5/5/16 STILL WORKING LIKE A CHAMP!
review image review image
1010 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2015
I wanted to test the actual performance of these powerline adapters and I did so with a professional Ethernet transmission tester used by large telco companies to qualify links. The test I ran is called RFC2544 and it determines the maximum possible data rate at various Ethernet frame (packet) sizes.

First of all, the device is advertised as as providing data rates at "up to 500 Mbps". Now I am always cautious whenever I see "up to" in advertising claims. Literally, this means that in a best case scenario it is capable of transmitting data at 500Mbps. However when you connect an Ethernet device to one of these adapters the link speed is only 100Mbps. So how is it possible to transmit "up to 500Mbps" when the physical layer Ethernet port (PHY) is a 100Mbps device? So right away my personal opinion is that the claims are totally fraudulent. If the PHY connected at 1,000Mbs there would at least be the possibility of achieving a 500Mbps transfer rate between these two devices. If there were an asterisk next to the claim and the fine print read something like "Total combined data rate of 500Mbps possible with x number of powerline adapters on the same network." That would tell me that 500Mbps is not between two adapters, but is the total network capacity. However I found no such information on the packaging.

Nonetheless, I setup my transmission tester with a maximum data rate of 100Mbps since that all these powerline adapters are technically able of providing between any two units.
How the RFC2544 test works is that it will start with a specified frame size and transmit data between the two components of the test system at a low data rate, increasing the data rate until errors are detected. The data/frame rate that can be achieved without errors is reported as the maximum data rate for that frame size. Then the next largest frame size is tested and the process repeats until all frame sizes are tested.

The test system reports information in several categories:

THROUGHPUT (Note that on my test results below the Throughput test shows PASS because I did not set a minimum required data rate for the test, the threshold is set to 0Mbps)
- Maximum data rate for each frame size (Mbps). This is the key test that reveals the actual performance delivered by these powerline adapters. The TP-Link claims 500Mbps, which is impossible since the Ethernet port on the adapter is limited to 100Mbps.
- Maximum frame rate (frames/second)
- Utilization rate which is simply the data rate divided by the link rate, in this case it will be the same as the data rate since the link rate is 100Mbps between the tester and the powerline adapter
- Frame loss at the maximum data rate which is usually zero since the data rate is determined as the the max data rate that was achieved without errors. However for the sake of speeding up the test, the device can be set to test to the maximum specified data rate in larger steps. My tester was configured to test each frame size up to 100Mbps in 15Mbps increments.

LATENCY
- At the maximum data rate determined by the Throughput test the time it takes a frame transmitted from one device to reach the other device and return back to the originating device (round trip time). In a telecom network this can be affected by internet routers between two locations but in this case the two devices are separated by just a few feet as they are on the same electrical circuit in my home office.
As with Throughput, Latency is tested at each frame size.

JITTER
- For each frame size, at the max data rate the measured, jitter is the difference in time between subsequent frames. Ideally jitter is zero which means all the frames in the data stream are evenly spaced making for consistent data transmission.

FRAME LOSS
- Measures the number and percentage of frames lost at the desired test data rates. The Throughput tests tell you how fast the network can run without dropping frames and this test tells you what will happen if the network is forced to run at certain data rates.

RESULTS
Prepare to be disappointed. The first set of photos are screen grabs from the transmission testing of the powerline adapters. In short I achieved a best data rate of 32Mbps at a frame size of 2014kb. Most Ethernet applications use a frame size of 1518kb which should be more efficient, however these adapters were able to provide only 26Mbps at that frame size. So, in most uses, these provide 20Mbps transmission, not the claimed 500Mbps.

The first set of pictures with the red header bars are the results from the TP-Link powerline adapters. The green line on the Throughput plot indicates what data rate (Information Rate) should be achieved. The red line is what was actually achieved by these powerline adapters.

The second set of plots with the green header bars are from the same RFC2544 test run through wired Ethernet switches. As you can see the actual data rates were identical to the theoretical maximum data rate, delivering 100Mbps at all frame sizes. Since the Ethernet switch is a 1Gbps model I could have reconfigured the tester to run to that speed but for consistency I left the test configuration the same as when testing the powerline adapters.

SUMMARY
There is no substitute for good old wired Ethernet if you want the best performance possible. Obviously we can't always put network cabling where we would like it and these powerline adapters offer an easy alternative. In spite of their poor performance they should be fine for general web surfing, email, social media, etc... But I would I would not rely on these for streaming video or other bandwidth hungry applications.

I decided not to rate 1 star because they do provide some functionality. However the blatant misrepresentation of the actual performance these devices provide makes me rethink buying TP-Link products in the future. I understand that TP-Link realize there is little chance any consumer will be able to test the performance of these powerline adapters so there's little risk in exaggerating the marketing claims. Make whatever assumptions you like with the factual data I have provided in this review.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
7373 comments| 548 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2015
*Pictures of Powerline Utility of TP-LINK Software to configure device included*

I have a 102 year old house with plaster walls which serves as the WIFI DESTRUCTION ZONE. I was unable to receive WIFI in the back of my house so i purchase done of these guys and added an airport express in one of my back room stop get full wifi coverage at home.

Setup was extremely easy I plugged one terminal into a plug and my router and the other i went upstairs and plugged into my airport-express (wifi extender mode) and a power plug and i was good to go.

You have the option to use the TPLink software (pictures included) to configure the device and see how its doing. I get an average of 200Mbps transfer on my unit which is more than good enough for wifi coverage.

Pro:
Easy setup
Software allows for various configuration options
Con:
I don't get a full 500mbps transfer, however this was expected as on average you can get about 50% of the advertised transfer rate
review image review image review image review image
on May 21, 2013
Capacity: AV500|Model: 1-Port|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am extremely impressed with how small these have become and how easy they are to set up. You can now have a network/internet port anywhere you have an outlet. My only con for it is I wish the cables were grey instead of yellow.

Setup: (Do not plug these into surge protectors. Plug into wall.)

1. Plug cord into open port on router and plug other end into a Powerline adapter.
2. Plug that adapter into the wall and press 'pair' button.
3. Plug the 2nd cord into laptop or computer and the other cord end into the other Powerline adapter.
4. Plug that adapter into wall and press 'pair' button.
5. You done. Enjoy your internet!

Some useful ideas for your new 'extra' network jack.

1. Use a NAS or external network drive for your backups in a different location of the house. This lessens chances of losing everything such as photos/documents in case of burglary or fire.
2. If you install a home or SOHO DVR/CCTV system, this is an easy way to get internet access to that DVR. You can then hide the DVR somewhere in the house or business to keep burglars or employees from messing with it.
3. Connect your TV or Blu-Ray player to the internet without having to drill holes in fireplace rock, wood shelves, etc.
4. If you have a basement for storm protection, run it off of a extension cord (GFCI cord may be necessary for code) to have internet during storms, tornadoes, etc.

Overall, this device is incredible. I will be purchasing more for computer and DVR installs. Running network cables down exterior walls sucks! :o)
review image
1111 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2014
I recently purchased a smart TV and had only wi-fi where the TV is located. While my wired LAN sees ~75Mbps, the wi-fi signal where the TV is, about 40ft from the router, only reaches 25Mbps max even though signal strength is excellent. That would be fine, but it was inconsistent and at time I had seen the speed rated only in Kbps. I thought congestion on a channel may be an issue, but switching didn't help. Nothing else was using resources on my network either. I considered a wireless extender or repeater, but decided to try the AV500 Nano because of cost and it sounded easy to setup.

I received the AV500 starter kit (includes 2 adapters) today. I plugged one into the wall and to the router. The other was plugged into the wall roughly 40ft away and into the smart TV. I didn't press the link button or anything. Once the indicators on the units came on, I turned on the TV and it was connected to the internet. I did a few speed tests with the TV and a PC and it achieves 25-35Mbps consistently. Sometimes it's a little higher, but mostly in that range.

The speeds are far below the advertised potential, but I still give the product 4 stars because setup was incredibly simple and it does exactly what I wanted, which is to reliably stream HD video to the smart TV.

After the initial checks I ran the ethernet cables under the edge of the carpet so very little of the wire is seen. It's a simple process in most cases that you can find info about online if you don't already know what's involved. Be sure to get longer cables if your available receptacle isn't very near the TV, because they don't recommend plugging the powerline adapters into surge protector strips.

I also used the pair buttons for the built in security and that was a quick and easy process. All I did was press the button on each adapter and within a minute or so they were connected again.
on March 27, 2014
I live in a three story house in Germany (stationed here with the military). The house seems to be solid concrete and therefore wifi signal becomes pretty limited. After searching for options such as a better router, I decided to get this Powerline Adapter. This is by far the best option since I know have signal all over the house. I chose to add one to every floor and attach a router to each one. This now provides for solid wifi signal all over the house.

So far the product is solid and works as expected. I haven't really experienced any signal loss or failure. Another super added bonus is that the are 120/240V compatible. So basically I was able to add a small 240V plug adapter and not deal with adding transformers. So if you need a quick way to fix your wifi problem I highly recommend this product!

Pros:
-Multi Voltage 110-240V
-Great for multi floor houses
-No significant signal loss

Cons:
-Cannot be connected to extension plug or surge protector
on July 13, 2013
Pros: plug and play, no interferrence from microwave
Cons: >500Mbps

I bought this kit to increase the speed and reliability of the network connection to a WDTV device in the kitchen. I was using a Wireless 150N USB adapter and getting 8-9MB/s file transfers which is the limit of the USB 2.0 connection tot he external hard drive. The issue was that any time the microwave is used, the network is interrupted.

Setup was as simple as plugging in both adapters to the same receptacle to let them link. That was all, my router was already setup for DHCP so I didn't even have to setup anything with it either.

Advanced configuration:
I did decide to see if I could eek out any more performance. I installed the included software and without reviewing the user guide ran it. It's not obvious so if you go this route, read the manual. The Status page shows the adapter's information that is connected to your network/router. Before I started, I did locate and write down the MAC and Password values from the back of each device. Also, I did the AES encryption steps (press the link button for 1 second on one, then 1 second on the other). Long story short, changing the QOS (quality of service) had no impact. I was able to name the devices but with only 2, it doesn't matter. The only benefit of this software is to see the link speed. In my case, it's right around 40Mb/s (that's megabits per second) or 1/10th of what is advertised.

Was it worth it. Yes, now I have a more reliable connection, but keeping or increasing the speed would have been a bonus. I gave it 4 stars due to ease of use and installation.