Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 2, 2013
I purchased this router basically on price but I wish I would have spent more (which I ended up doing).
The TP-Link router was a pain to configure my home network and once I had the network hooked up it ran with very slow connections.
The WIFI signal strength was good but surfing was slow.
I then read online that there was a software update for it so I tried that and it still did not work well.
I ended up returning it (got to love Amazon's return policy) and purchasing a Netgear WNDR3700 which works much better IMO and was a breeze to get setup.
Sorry to say but I cannot recommend this router.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to check out our Router.
We are sorry that you find the router is slow.
The latest firmware is released in March, which fixed some bugs and support Guest Network.
Could you please give it another chance?
It can be downloaded here:

It's sad to see that you are going back to your old Router and we hope that you will be able to try our newer products in the future.

If you need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

Howard.he@tp-link.com

FAQ: http://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/
Edit this comment|Permalink
Edit this comment|Permalink
on June 15, 2015
Sadly- even TWO of these later, neither would connect to my LAN. I am running Windows 7 on one machine and 8.1 on two others and Linux on a fourth, plus two tablets and three Android phones. Nothing would show up as accessing the wireless even though the set-up ran properly. I even contacted the company and spent about an hour with their support and another hour with my ISP. So while this may be a great router- it won't work with all configurations. Yes- I tried taking the Linux out of the mix too.
on February 6, 2014
Our frontier dsl modem kept dropping off because it could not support the traffic
Once I ran a drop from the dsl router to the tp link it stopped.
We let the tp link handle all our wireless devices and the the not so hot dsl modem do its thing.
Also turned off the wireless on the dsl
on January 11, 2015
I bought this item because of the good reviews it got. I received the package in good order, but that's where the positives all end. I tried to hook it up per the CD rom which was included with the order, but it failed several times to put out the wi fi signal, and I spent literally hours on the phone with my internet provider to try to resolve this; only to decide it was the router, because I have an old router that works fine. I wanted an upgrade, but received a pretty router which never worked. So I decided to return the item to Amazon for a replacement, with the exact same result. So I've given up on TP-Link; if I can't get it to work on two separate routers, then it's two strikes you're out. I wouldn't recommend it at all.
on August 5, 2015
great router esp if youre experiencing a lot interference from a crowded wifi spectrum (2.4ghz).

pretty easy to setup and bot mine from amazon warehouse to save a few bucks. had to factory reset because the original network was still configured on it but works flawlessly after that.

this is a dual band router so switch to 5 ghz if youre experiencing a lot of interference or a intermittent signal. this is a good router so far. will update if i experience any issues.
on September 1, 2015
This works more than great in my living room were it is set up, but the range is not very far and I get no signal in my room and kids room
I will be returning it for one that goes through walls better.
If had a good price, but does not meet my range.

Update: I tried moving the WiFi router to another party of my house and it worked alot better. Now my entire house gets WiFi. working great.
on February 21, 2015
Functions as advertised. The USB printer function requires you to install TP-Link printer queue software on each machine that will use the software. This is made in China stuff which is not seamlessly integrated with Windows 8, but is functional. The customer support is odd, being Chinese people trying to converse in English, but they are technically capable and eager to help. After using for two weeks I resold as I do not want third party printer queue software on my computers. I plan to buy a HP printer with a network connection and wireless support.
on January 11, 2014
Performance is very good, with no dropouts so far. The rang and speed are excellent. My only problem occurred when I stopped the SSID from being broadcast, my computers and tablets lost connection, so I had to enable it again. Dissapointing that I can not make use of that security feature.
VINE VOICEon April 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are are looking for a good, decent router, with lots of features, this one does the job. Also check for updated firmware that can add more features (like guest network) and fix some issues. It has a lot of features, more than what any average person to moderate techie needs. It is quite easy to set up and doesn't need a lot of tinkering. I set mine up in less than 10 minutes, which was mostly just picking and writing down choices (SSID x 2, network key, & admin password. Its range and performance is decent, but is not the top of the line range or performance, but should be good enough for most. For laptops, tablets, and smartphone usage around the home, including upstairs, it gives decent coverage. But my previous Buffalo N300 router was a bit stronger and did better (although still not perfect) for my xbox in an upstairs bedroom within a wooden cabinet with a glass door (an unreasonable expectation). But regardless, the Buffalo router got 4-bars in that cabinet where this gets 3-bars. Either are loads better than the cheap Westell DSL router that came with my DSL. For normal usage around even upstairs rooms, it does the job reliably.

There are a few drawbacks. (1) It didn't quite have the power to get through every obstacle (but was respectable) that my Buffalo N300 could. (2) Its LEDs are very bright compared to my other 2 routers, and can be a little distracting. (3) The 5.0 GHz range wasn't as strong upstairs (although that is expected of 5.0 GHz vs 2.4 GHz). (4) It is large and cannot be stood up. (5) The 2.4 GHz ping was double (102ms) that of the 5.0 GHz (52ms). Realistically, the only 2 things that disappointed me was that it didn't beat my Buffalo N300 router on my upstairs Xbox in a cabinet, and the LED lights are a little bright (maybe they can be configured in the settings?).

Otherwise it has a lot of features and capabilities. I would recommend it anyone who wants more features than my Buffalo N300 offers. But if you are looking to push the range and performance to extremes, then there are more expensive better routers out there. But I can still recommend this one for normal needs.
77 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2015
The router is easy to setup and come with good features in case you use (like FTP built in and guest access), the range is ok in my opinion, could be better but where I live there are many other wireless routers, because of that I spend some time to find a good range that wont overlap with all other existing.

I recommend to update the firmware of the product when you receive it.