1,044 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Expected, Could Not Get to Work on Linux
Published 18 months ago by William Bagley

2.0 out of 5 stars It works to connect to the internet, but very slow speeds.
Published 5 months ago by Koji Kadet

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Expected, Could Not Get to Work on Linux, June 14, 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WN725N Wireless N Nano USB Adapter, 150Mbps, Miniature Design, Plug in and Forget, Support Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The TP-Link Nano Wireless works well on Windows OS formats. I tested it on Windows 7, following the accompanied instructions and loading the drivers from the included CD. The Windows OS recognized the Nano without the CD, but could not find/load any drivers without the CD. The wireless easily installed through the CD (actually mini-CD). Besides the drivers, the install disk included a software that shows a user interface. I found the interface to be very user friendly and showed a lot of relevant information, including the signal strength of various wireless access points and whether or not they were password protected. Compared to my internal wireless card, the TP-Link was a slightly weaker signal strength by about 5 to 10 percent. But it worked very smoothly, got me online, and never hung up.

I could not get the TP-Link Nano, however, to work on my Linux Mint OS. I tested it on Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint 13, and Linux Mint 14 XFCE. None of these OS's even recognized that the Nano was even in the USB port. The Linux Mint 14 is set up on a "dual hard drive" boot, so that I can boot up Windows 7 or Linux Mint 14, so the hardware was literally identical for that test.

I am not completely sure if the Nano is useable or not on Linux, but I failed to make it happen and even failed to get it to recognize the new hardware as even existing. I sent an email to the company about this and if they show me how to do it, then I will update this post. I have my doubts about it being able to work on Linux though, because it was not even recognized. If it did at least get recognized, then it may be possible to use a "wireless wrapper" to make the Windows driver work.

I still give this unit a five star rating, because it makes no claims to work on Linux or even Mac, only on Windows (XP, Vista, and 7). I like its very small size. It can be left in a notebook without fear that it will be broken off during transport. It recedes into the USB port that much. Its range is better than another I had at this same size, but it was a little bit weaker in pick up compared to my internal wireless.

Update 11/22/2014: The new Linux Mint OS 17 has built in drivers for this nano wifi product! It is now plug and play on Linux and will probably also be plug and play on the most recent release of Ubuntu and the Debian versions as well, but I have not verified them (both of these have similarities to Linux Mint, since Linux Mint is built on top of Ubuntu and Debian). The signal range is a little weak compared to some of the other TP-Link products that I have, but this one may still be worth it, since it does not take much room and recesses well on the side of a notebook computer. I did also hear that this unit works on the Raspberry Pi computer with its standard OS, but have not verified this personally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ver 2 does NOT work out of box with Raspbian / Raspberry Pi, but easily fixed, May 24, 2013
Lenny (FREMONT, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is at least 2 versions of this adapter. Ver 1 will work out of the box with Raspberry Pi running Raspbian (the "official" OS). Ver 2, which I received, will not. You can tell which version you have only from the sticker at the bottom of the box (mine says Model TL-WN725N Ver 2.0"). But 10 minutes with Google and reading online forums will quickly solve this problem. More on how to fix this later.

Most people will probably have little need for this. Most laptops already come with wireless built in. It is an inexpensive way to upgrade an old laptop to 802.11n. You can also use it to add wireless to a desktop machine, either to get online, or to connect to other devices like, say, a GoPro HERO3: Black Edition.

The adapter is very small. The Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter with EZmax Setup Wizard is just so slightly smaller, but not by much (and works out of box for Raspberry Pi). One nice feature about the Edimax, however, is that it can be gripped much more easily than this one if you need to remove it. Not a big deal, since it shouldn't be necessary to remove these often. There is a blue LED on the device, you can see its position on the photo of the box. It's not as bright as the photo makes it out to be, fortunately. Someone mentioned that it didn't light up for him on his Raspberry Pi, but it worked for me. It comes in a nice box about an inch shorter than a paperback book, and includes an installation mini CD and two sheets of quick install guide (English and Spanish). Adapter is made in China, which shouldn't be a surprise. There's no information about any warranty information, either on the box or on TP-Link's website.

The wireless chipset used in the Ver 2 is the Realtek RTL8188eu. Apparently Raspbian distribution from April 2013 (and earlier) does not come with driver support for this either compiled into the kernel or or as a kernel module. You will need to either build the kernel module yourself, or download it from somewhere. I found a discussion on the official Raspberry Pi forums, and someone with the username MrEngman provided a link to the kernel module, with instructions on how to install it. After that, you need to issue the commands (as superuser) depmod -a, change directory to where the kernel module is installed to, and modprobe 8188eu.ko. You only need to do this once, the next time your Raspberry Pi reboots, it will load the drivers automatically.

Next you'll need to configure your wireless. Google will turn up a number of hits on how to do this. If you need help with driver install or wireless setup on Raspbian, leave me a message in the comments.

It's a bit more work to use on the Raspberry Pi than the Edimax, and the cost is fairly close. I'm leaving my Raspberry Pi running to see if there's any stability issues (don't expect any). Initial testing under the same conditions showed that it is about as fast, and possibly slightly (but not significantly) faster than the Edimax. It is possible that later Raspbian releases will have support for this adapter built-in, but for now it only takes a few minutes extra. As a wireless adapter, if you don't mind a bit of extra work, it appears to be a good alternative to the Edimax. I'd rate it 4.5 if I can. A slightly lower price (equal or lower to the Edimax) and a design with a better grip would have earned it a 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Fast, A Bit Snug, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We had a really odd set of circumstances while testing our TP-Link wireless adapter. We got the adapter to test right as we also got a TP-Link router to test. We figured these two should work perfectly together. So we set them up, and I was testing the adapter in my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop which runs Vista. But performance was sluggy and spotty, even just in the next room. We tried all sorts of things, with no great improvement.

Then we started testing out a D-Link N900 router - and WOW - the TP-Link adapter just screamed. It was absolutely perfect. It's definitely the reason we test our adapters out in a variety of situations, just in case something like this goes on. But who would have thought that TP-Link would do better on a competitor's router?

The unit is extremely easy to set up and, when paired with the right router, works like a charm. Fast speeds, no problems at all.

Intriguingly, the only issue at all we have to report with it is the setup of the plastic nub on its end. It mounts too tightly with the laptop case, and can be a royal pain to get out again. It's so small that there's no real way to "grab" at it - you nearly have to get out your needle nose pliers to get the thing loose. Sure, you don't want to lose the unit or to have it three inches long so it catches on everything. Still, there should be some middle ground in there too. It shouldn't become leech-like attached to the unit and require a surgical team to detach it again.

So, with that caveat, well recommended.

I was sent a review copy of this unit by the Amazon Vine program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well, December 8, 2012
I didn't even need to install TP-Link's driver, my computer already found compatible ones that made it work right out of the box; although the instructions caution that TP-Link cannot guarantee its performance with other drivers.
Reception is great; better than older TP-Link adapters I've had before, and a tiny profile is definitely a plus.

2.0 out of 5 stars It works to connect to the internet, but very slow speeds., June 24, 2014
I have only used one other USB wireless adapter and it was the Asus N-10. It worked about 5 times better than this one, even though they are both rated to 150Mbps. I was using speedtest and I was only able to pull about 1-2 Mbps with this one, versus about 10 Mbps with my other one. I was at full signal strength with both of them, but for some reason this one just would not pull decent speeds, it was noticeably slow. Also I made sure I had the most up to date drivers from the TP-Link website. I really don't know why it's rated up to 150Mbps, when it can't even get over 2. I tried it in another computer too, same problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with Windows 8, June 20, 2013
Azu~Nyan (Birmingham, Al, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This thing installed just fine on my Windows 8 desktop. It is, however, wireless b/g/n only; please remember that. If you have one of the newer model routers that support wireless a/c, then I suggest you get the TP-LINK TL-WDN3200 Dual Band Wireless N600 USB Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5Ghz 300Mbps, WPS Button, 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2 as it will help reduce the network clutter. Otherwise, know that this thing works without any random disconnects.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was perfect for my older IBM Thinkpad, June 18, 2013
Guitar Man (Electric Ladyland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an older IBM Thinkpad that I use for basic Web browsing and email. It's an old tank of a laptop with a Pentium in it, and it just won't die. I needed a simple WiFi USB connector for Internet, and this was Perfect. I have Windows 7 on my laptop and the setup with drivers was a snap. This was exactly what I was looking for. A USB WiFi connector that I could leave in all the time and not even notice it's there. Great idea by TP=Link to make it so small and nearly invisible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really bad quality, May 14, 2014
At first it was great no problems, a month later i experienced lag, couple of days after trying to fix the lag (reset router, switch usb ports) nothing worked. So i bought a different Adapter and everything is fine. The adapter dies slowly with only a month life span. i would not recommend this product to my friends.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Stopped working 5 weeks after I bought., May 4, 2014
Completely stopped working! I bought it on March 28 2014, and it died on May 4, 2014. Missed the return period by 2 days. DO NOT BUY this! It is garbage!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars works with Ubuntu, May 3, 2014
When I got the adapter I tried it on my Ubuntu laptop but it was not recognized. I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 and now the adapter is recognized and working great. This information is for those who use Linux instead of Windows.