2,574 Reviews
 (1,642)

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for HostAP use on Linux
I know it is difficult to find cards that work well with linux. This card is inexpensive and worked without a hitch on my Ubuntu installation. (Including 802.11n) It uses the Atheros9k driver and worked with HostAP. Great cheap option for building an access point.
Published on July 11, 2011 by Greg

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Card for the Price
There are a lot of wireless cards out there promising various things, and TP-LINK is a brand that usually promises functionality at a competitive cost.

Published 19 months ago by Tracy F.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Card for the Price, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

When this card functions, it functions well. The setup and driver install were simple. The card has a standard PCI interface, something most home PCs have a spare slot for. Unless you have a GPU taking up a slot or two, this card should do nicely in terms of compatibilty. The Wi-Fi connectivity is fast and generally stable. There have been a few connection hiccups, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a card at this price level.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to dock TP-LINK 2 stars for the software bundled with this card. They push their own wireless interfacing software, going so far as to make it seem like a smart choice to install it. The average user will probably install it along with the driver, because TP-LINK recommends it. Ordinarily, I'd dock one star for faulty software, but this software was pushed heavily. It's a misleading promise.

With the software installed, this card connected and disconnected from my wireless network rapidly, completely at random. It made downloading anything nearly impossible, let alone connecting to any browser.

The card itself is, as my title suggests, fine for its price. That being said, the wireless network manager it comes with is abysmal, and should certainly be skipped regardless of TP-LINK's personal recommendation. Run it through Windows' default wireless network managing tools, and you'll be fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for HostAP use on Linux, July 11, 2011
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WN951N Wireless N300 Advanced PCI Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with LinuxMint 11, August 31, 2011
I was hitting my head up against the wall trying to get my wireless card to work. Throwing my old card (rt61pci based) in the trash and buying this one was the best thing I ever did. It connected instantly the very first time. Life is too short to waste on iwconfig.

4.0 out of 5 stars This does work with Windows 8, March 5, 2013
I am writing this to save some frustration people might have. If you are running windows 8, do not use the install mini cd that came with this. It will cause your computer to freeze up and constantly go into a recovery mode. Just plug it in and let windows install it's generic driver. May the force be with you - jase

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play works out of box with Hackintosh Mac OSX 10.7.4, July 30, 2012
Bought this to use with my ivy bridge hackintosh running Mac OSX 10.7.4 . Works perfectly, just plugged it in, no drivers or configuration needed. Couldn't be simpler, signal with my airport extreme seems good!

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band TPLink N900 adapter with 2011 drivers, April 2, 2013
I found prices lately at newegg and amazon comparable most of the time. Reviews were spot on and my purchase was based solely on consumer feedback. I had a 150 Mbps Edimax wireless N adapter with a 3 antenna base that, after a windows update, was giving me 144 Mbps. Not too shabby for an adapter that was half the price of this one. It was giving me 130 Mbps before with an older driver. With all the hype, I figured I'd give the TP-Link 4800 a try. I couldn't believe TP-Link, in their infinite wisdom, decided drivers from 2011 would suffice. Even with Windows 8 already out? The adapter is PCIE (Edimax was PCI) and both were positioned in the same location and a complete removal of old drivers was performed prior to "updating" to the 2011 drivers TP-Link and its fans raved about. I tried every wireless networking trick in the book (location, location)and, at first,never squeezed anything more than 130 Mbps out of the TP-Link. I even called support and their response? if it works, don't fix it. Sure, a lot of variables are in play when it comes to performance from a wireless adapter but, jeez, a higher price tag, smaller antennae with no extended cable and base and 2011 drivers? I expected to get my money's worth and better support. I refused to give up. This is not my first foray with TP-Link wireless adapters. TP-Link boasted 450 Mbps but I'm sure that would be achieved only with the more expensive routers like the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router. I've been happy with my 2 D-Link Dual-band Dir-655 routers where one is set up as an AP repeater. I may have to save up for one of the Asus routers and give the TP-Link another go. Using the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band TPLink N900 the 130 Mbps signal was indeed stable and I could see more wireless connections in my neighborhood than the Edimax but who cares? Most of the time your success will only be based on channels 1, 6 and 11. For the price I paid for the TP-Link I, at first, gave it 3 out of 5 stars since, for the price, it was just average. I have to add this as well. I even bought 2 sets of TRENDnet Duo 7dBi Indoor Omni Directional Antenna with Mounting Base TEW-AI77OB (Black) to possibly improve the signal. No cigar.

Then, it happened! I tried a free little app called Wifi Analyzer and installed it on my Android. It was only then that I analyzed the problem and discovered, through graphical data, what channel to pick on my principal router. It worked so well, I re-wrote this review. To take the guesswork out of picking the best channel for your router/routers give the Wifi Analyzer a chance. It worked for me. I only wish someone at TP-Link could have suggested it. Sure, I spent some time trying numerous remedies and fixes but tenacity will win every time or at least explain why it can't. I now get a consistent 300 Mbps from the card using Channel 1 which is what Wifi Analyzer suggested. With the older D-Link Dir-655 router, I think that's all you can expect since channels 12-14 aren't available. More channels and faster speeds would probably be achieved with the newer more expensive Asus router I mentioned. I hope someone finds this review informative. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, TP-Link has come a long way, November 2, 2011
I recently purchased this product for my new PC that did not have built in WIFI. I normally go with brands like D-link or Net Gear but based on the other reviews and the price I decided to go with this card.

Pro's
1. Excellent range, better than my older D-link and my laptops built in WIFI
2. Does not take up a ton of space on the motherboard
3. Clean solder, built solid
4. Great price

Con's
1. 3 antenna's (only con is space outside of PC)
2. antenna placement makes it hard to screw the antenna on depending on case design (too close together)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product at a Great price, August 31, 2011
Was using a wired Ethernet adapter operating at 54Mbps. Wanted wireless-N speeds and convenience of wireless. Bought this adapter based upon feedback of others. It is a good product because I installed it and it simply works. New speed based upon my hardware configuration went to 135 Mbps as it ranges up to 300Mbps. So tripled the speed for less than $40. The only challenge was getting the latest driver downloaded and installed. The driver that came with the board had conflicts with my hardware because it was so old a driver (if I recall a 2008 version). I downloaded the 2010 version of the software driver after installation of the board and it runs really well with no hiccups for about a month since we've had it. My wife is pleased because she simply turns on the computer and uses it at a much faster speed. A good buy. Bought through Amazon also makes the delivery process simple and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, June 19, 2012
Easy to install
Blazing Fast Wireless Connection
Getting 97% reception through 2 walls and about 40ft from my Asus Dark Knight U66 at 5Ghz and 450mbps. vs. about 46% with my previous G class wireless card
Dramatically increased my upload ability with utorrent (partially due to the Dark Knight Upgrade above, which also comes highly recommended)
Great price for the performance
Triple Antenna Setup is great for the reception
Really can't go wrong with this card assuming you have the router to take advantage of the bandwidth this card offers, otherwise might look into a cheaper card that suits your router, however i haven't tested this card myself with an older router to see if it makes much difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works With Ubuntu, With a Tweak, November 30, 2012
I'm using the TP-Link WDN4800 under Ubuntu 11.04. The adapter was recognized immediately by the OS, and a wireless connection was established. However, the connection speed was very slow, usually about 2Mbps, as measured on [...].

(The other pieces of connectivity are CableOne 50Mbps service, a Motorola Surfboard SB6210 cable modem, and a Asus RT-N12B1 b/g/n wireless router. The PC I'm testing is not very close to the wireless access point; Ubuntu reports link quality at 52/70.)

But it turns out there is a fix. In a terminal window, type:
sudo -s gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
This will open the ath9k.conf file; in my installation, there was no such file, so a new one was created. Add the following line:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
Save the file and reboot.

Averaging five tests, my wireless connection speed increased to 17Mbps, a substantial improvement. For comparison, a wired Ethernet connection averaged about 38Mbps. I'm inclined to think your result with the WDN4800 might be a bit better with a stronger wireless signal.

UPDATE January 4 2013: I've had problems with very large downloads -- the connection drops. I discovered this downloading Ubuntu ISO images. The problem doesn't occur using hard-wired Ethernet, so I assume it's the WDN4800.