1,350 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't toss your old router! ... and other suggestions
Some suggestions:
(1) Use the instructions in the Users Guide for installing the router - the installation software on the CD didn't work for me, but the written instructions are clear enough.

(2) Update the firmware before you get too far in configuring the router.
Published on March 20, 2011 by L. Brown

tl;dr The performance of my unit was so unsatisfactory that it is possible I got a lemon. But from the recent string of bad reviews here on Amazon (at the end of Aug and beginning of Sept 2012, after I made my purchase), it seems the quality of this product or at least their quality control has gone downhill.

I bought this model based on the low price, good...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't toss your old router! ... and other suggestions, March 20, 2011
L. Brown (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 Wireless N300 Gigabit Router, 300Mbps, USB port for Storage, 3 Detachable Antennas, Speed Boost up to 450Mbps, WPS Button (Personal Computers)
Some suggestions:

(2) Update the firmware before you get too far in configuring the router.
There was a nasty bug in the installed firmware that caused the router to freeze if you tried to display wireless statistics. This is fixed in the firmware dated August, 2010.

(2) If you're thinking of replacing an old b/g wireless router with this, don't toss the old router yet!
Many wireless devices such as printers and music systems (like Sonos) do not support the 11n standard yet. At first I tried running the TP-Link router in mixed b/g/n mode. For some reason the performance was exceptionally slow. But, it's easy to link your old router into the network so that the b/g devices will use the old router. The TP-Link router can then be set to 11n-only for excellent performance for devices that support it. Here's how to do it:

- Give each router a different IP address, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. Make sure both are outside the range of dynamic IP addresses.

- Give both routers the same SSID so that they will form a single network.

- Assign each router to different wireless channels. (1 or 6 or 11 are usually recommended).

- Turn off DHCP or other WAN support in the b/g router. Set up the TP-Link with WAN support (such as DHCP) and connect to the ADSL or cable modem.

- In the b/g router, add the MAC addresses of the 11n devices to its MAC filter list. These are devices you DON'T want to connect to it.
(Of course, if you have many more 11n devices than b/g ones, do the reverse: create a filter list with only the devices you DO want to connect).

- Link the b/g router to any LAN port on the TP-Link router with an Ethernet cable.

That should be it. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Router for DD-WRT, April 28, 2011
**************************
THIS REVIEW WAS FOR THE OLDER VERSION OF THE TP-LINK ROUTER.
**************************

I bought two of these routers with the intention of flashing them with DD-WRT. Both flashed extremely fast and easily without any hitches and can be flashed via the router's web GUI (no Telnet, etc). Both routers have been running non stop ever since flashing them and have worked perfectly. I have been very pleased thus far with TP-Link products, especially after having a lot of issues with Belkin routers (hangs, slooooow response, rebooting, over-heating, etc). You can't beat the price vs features with this TL-WR1043ND (for sure when using DD-WRT, but even the original TP-Link firmware is still very usable). I my opinion this is the best price vs features gigabit router on the market for DD-WRT.

For those interested, here are some hardware specs:

Platform...........Atheros AR9132 @ 400 MHz
JTAG...............1 (internal)
USB.................1 (external)
Input Voltage...12V 1.5A

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent WIFI Router, August 4, 2010
I bought this wireless router because of the features and the reviews. It is a good thing I did. This is an excellent router.

Pros:
Ease of Setup - I got this working in less than 10 minutes. Just turn off your Cable modem and computer. Connect the router to the modem using the included cable. Power up everything. Then put in the CD and in a few minutes you are done. That includes setting up the WPA2 security.

Range - My previous Wireless Routers(Apple,Linksys,Zyxel) could only give me at most 61% from one end of my house to the other. This gives me 85%. That is going through 3 Bedrooms and furniture.

Speed - I used to get 12 Mbps with my previous router. I just tested it now and I now have 19.89 Mbps download speed from the same site I always test with.

Price - Excellent value for money.

Network USB Hardrive - You can easily share a USB hard drive. You now have no limit to how much videos you can download and games you can play. Share the drive with your entire family.

Cons:

Not Dual Band - It isn't dual band, but i don't need it so it does not bother me.

Summary:
This is a real find. Never heard of this company before, but I am very impressed with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and affordable no-frills wireless router!, October 17, 2010
I was looking for a basic but reliable wireless router so I could use my netbook around my condo, as well as hardwire my desktop PC and X360 to the internet. However I found that researching wireless routers is a nightmare, as for every person who lauds a particular model, there will be someone else who condemns it. This problem is especially prevalent among entry level models. Initially I was only considering LinkSys and DLink, since they are the two most famous consumer brands, but I couldn't find a basic model from either that was consistently rated well. There always seemed to be a small but significant proportion of users that would complain about dropped signals, running hot, firmware issues, etc. By chance though I saw this model reviewed on CNET [..]and immediately bought it from a local PC store. In addition to the good performance, long range, and ease of use as tested by CNET, this router was extremely affordable, which sealed the deal for me. After using this router for more than a year now, I can safely say that CNET's review is right on the money. It is a rock-solid router- I've only had 2-3 dropped signals to date. The signal easily covers every corner of my 3+1 bedroom condo, including the balcony. The unit does not run hot at all. Setting up and changing the settings on the router is indeed very easy and intuitive using the browser-based configuration. I strongly recommend that you download the latest firmware from TP-Link beforehand and update your router before actually setting up your network (it's very easy, just use the "update" option in the configuration screen and point to the downloaded firmware file). The fact that it is also one of the cheapest (but reliable) routers on the market is just icing on the cake. Keep in mind this is an entry-level model- 150Mbps only and no USB port for printer/HDD sharing, so if you need something more robust consider its bigger brothers like the 941ND or 1041ND. If you just need a no-frills, "fire and forget" wireless router to get online, buy this model, you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, May 13, 2011
The main factor in choosing this router was its hardware capabilities. This router is packed with a 400 Mhz processor and 32 MBs of RAM which is really good for a SOHO router product.
Pros:
1. Price is really low compared to other similar products, such as LinkSys's E4200 ($150)
2. Really powerful hardware, fast internet access. Torrent downloads will not affect the router's responsiveness;
3. Can be easily flashed with third-party firmwares (DD-WRT and OpenWRT) to enable built-in torrent client support;
4. After flashing with DD-WRT it can be configured to download torrents on a USB-attached hard drive instead of having a computer run 24/7 and download torrents. This is very useful as it helps spend a little less on electricity bills.

Had this router for 10 days and it was great experience using it so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable connection. Effort not worth the possible cost savings., September 30, 2012

I bought this model based on the low price, good reviews, gigabit speed, and option of installing dd-wrt (for added functionality and stability).

Experience:
I set up the unit and immediately updated to the latest firmware. In the first 2 weeks after installation, I would lose my internet connection (both wired and wireless) and have to power cycle (unplug the power, wait 30 seconds, plug the power back in) about once a week. This was still an upgrade from my old router, which was on its last legs and regularly required a power cycle every few days. In weeks 3-5 of ownership, the new router would lose internet connection with increasing frequency until the longest I could go was 0.5 to 2 days.

Pros:
Very fast transfer speeds. I was able to transfer large files (>1GB) between my PC and NAS (Synology DS412+) at 85-105 MBps (according to Windows Explorer).

Cons:
Runs hot.
Inconsistent connection.
Lack of customer support. I contacted TP-LINK customer support (whose English skills were somewhat lacking) and they only recommended to install a beta firmware update, which I did not bother doing.

DD-WRT:
I was desperate and curious enough to see if dd-wrt might solve my disconnect problem. I preface my experience with a warning that incorrectly flashing dd-wrt may brick your router (i.e. render it completely useless). I soon learned (and I'm paraphrasing from the research I did weeks ago) that TP-LINK updated more recent units (after Aug 2012) with firmware that reboots WAN after a firmware flash. If you try to flash with dd-wrt firmware, the WAN shuts down but never starts back up so you can't establish an internet connection. You will be able to tell if the WAN IP address shows 0.0.0.0 using the automatic/dynamic IP setting. As another reviewer mentioned, you have to flash with German firmware first that does not reboot WAN, then flash to dd-wrt. This did not work for me either. I had to revert the stock firmware to an earlier version before going to the German firmware then to dd-wrt in order to get it to work (per someone's instructions in the dd-wrt forum). Despite all the effort, my unit still required frequent power cycles after successfully installing dd-wrt.

Conclusion:
Lesson learned. I ponied up and bought the more expensive but highly rated and regarded Asus RT-N56U dual band N gigabit router (with more features than most users will need, such as shared network drives), and never looked back. I updated to the latest firmware and it has been rock solid since installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than previous N router, December 10, 2009
I bought this to replace belkin wireless N+ router (you can see my review for the belkin N+). The signal from may laptops to belkin would vary between 1Mbps - 48Mbps, and often losing the signal all together. This is with using built in wireless G. I added belkin wireless N adapter and signal would then range from 11Mbps - 120Mbps, but far fewer drops. I replaced with this TP-Link TL-WR1043 and after 1 week, I get no wireless drop outs at all. My laptop with built in wireless G consistently reports 54Mbps and my laptop with the belkin N adapter generally reports 120Mbps (sometimes dropping to 60Mbps, sometimes as high as 150Mbps).

I should note that the TP-Link router is in the same exact location where my old belkin was, and my laptops are in the same exact location. So I have not varied distance nor obstacles between router & laptops. My laptops are ~75 feet from router in separate building, nearest neighbor ~.75 miles, so no change in interference from neighbors.

Now if only I could figure out how to get 300Mbps. I have tried from several other locations, but best I ever get is 150Mbps. But as this greatly exceeds my connection to ISP, it is not really a big issue. Oddly enough, if I move closer to the router, I get slower connection (~30Mbps) with N adapter but still get 54Mbps with build-in wireless G adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device and DDWRT friendly router, April 25, 2011
I was in search of economic router to extend the reach of my wireless network. So I bought the router TpLink wr740n version 2 (the one with the UFO shape) which conforms with this premise, however I did not expect anything special from this wireless router, if it was capable of maintaining a speed of 54Mbps I'd be satisfied.

So being a low-cost device and with the purpose of conducting a performance test, I decided to change the stock firmware with DDWRT firmware and that was an excellent decision, the device provides a super stable signal, wireless speed of 65Mbps at mixed mode BGN, it could reach the 150Mbps at N mode but I have to bear with my old wifi devices, good power (the router wr740n comes with a 5dBi antenna), the wan port (blue) is now an additional switch port, I bought it a month ago and I have not had to reboot it.

Summarizing, this router, as second AP, is just what I needed plus all the improvements and tweaks the DDWRT firmware provides, it was an Excelent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, cheap wireless N 300mbps router, November 8, 2010
For the money you couldn't ask for a better router, easy to set up, great security features and great price. Had it up and running in a matter of minutes. It is wall mountable, has 4 ports in back, compatible with my wireless G devices and arrived 1 day ahead of schedule. If you can read and follow the simple quick install guide, you should have no problems. Would recommend this router to anyone wanting to go wireless N on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good signal strength, April 2, 2011
Good product!
I used netgear 300Mbps wireless router provided by comcast. The signal is not so good in one of my rooms(farthest one from the router, other rooms are good) and my roomate complained about it. That room is 3 walls away from the router.

I bought this TP-Link router because it has external antenna. It provides much better signal. And at the same time, it is much cheaper than netgear.

Con: It does not support third-party firmware(they provide many extra features like fine-grained QoS). It does not support IPv6, just like most other routers.

Overall, I think this router is worth buying. You can't expect a "perfect" router for such a low price.

Rate and Discover Movies