5.0 out of 5 stars Need a travel router?
Published on August 15, 2012 by Grillguy

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Router That Can (For a While)
EDIT: This router stopped working after about a month. My neighbor bought the same model and had a similar issue.

---

Published on December 14, 2012 by Kai Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a travel router?, August 15, 2012
Grillguy "sekholm" (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, 150Mpbs, USB Powered (Personal Computers)
Look no further. Wow, is this thing tiny about the size of a travel mouse. Easy setup, switching power supply, place to plug in an ethernet cable, Plugged it in to power it up. Powered up my Nexus 7, checked wifi, and there it was. Toughest part was reading the password on the device. Security by itty-bitty printing. Well, secure against us old folks anyway. Couldn't be simpler. Has multiple modes that I haven't played with so far. Seems really fast, was able to stream video flawlessly, amazing range considering the size of the antenna the thing must have. No deductions so far. I'll update after my two week trip.

***Back from trip, works as promised still five stars. ****

4.0 out of 5 stars Solutions to Using TL-WR702N as a REPEATER, October 7, 2013
I purchased the TP-Link WR702N network device recently, to set it up as a REPEATER in our church building, to extend the wireless Wifi signal from one side of the building, down to the basement of the other side (actually 2 buildings put together). It works fine now, but I did have a struggle getting it working at first.

I initially set up the device in my home to test, and found out that it is a little tricky to access its on-line configuration menu. Once I got it configured, I found out that after several hours, it would stop broadcasting. I also found that some Android devices will lose the signal when moving between the main router and the repeater.

Here are the solutions to the problems that I encountered, which I hope will help you:

BROADCASTING SOLUTION
For the problem with the broadcasting, you will have to open a ticket with the TP-Link support via their web site, [...] after registering, to ask for the (now) beta version of the firmware patch for this device, to resolve the broadcasting problem. They will e-mail you the binary file for the firmware patch. You can update that from the configuration menu. I suggest doing this before configuring the device for use. You get to the configuration menu by going to [...] in a web browser, with the device connected to your PC or laptop with the provided ethernet cable.

REPEATER CONFIGURATION
To set up the repeater mode:

1. Factory reset the device by putting a pen in the RESET pin hole. Hold until blue light flashes on device (about 10 seconds).
2. Pull the power to the device for 10 seconds.
3. After repowering, plug the device into the ethernet jack of your computer.
4. Open a web browser and type in [...] to get to the devices configuration menu. Login with admin for both user and password.
5. In the menu, use the Quick Setup option and select Repeater,
6. Put in the wireless broadcast name (SSID) of the router you are repeating. Select the Survey button to find the actual signal of the router. Select the router, which should be same name as put in prevoius step.
7. Select the security that your router uses, and type in the passphrase used to connect to the router.
8. Click to Reboot the device.
9. Disconnect the device from the computer and power.
10. Place the device far from the router, but with enough signal to pass it on. Plug in power only.
The device should be broadcasting same SSID as the original router. Connect to it with same passphrase with your wireless computers, tablets, etc.
DONE

ANDROID TABLET DROPPING SIGNAL SOLUTION
For the problem with the Android tablets, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, running Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), which was dropping the network connection as I would move away from the main router toward the repeater. I would get an "Authentication Error" and no connection. The same would happen if I manually reconnected to the network and moved back toward the main router. After some research on-line, I found out that this is a bug in either the hardware or software used by certain Android devices, especially tablets, and none of the manufacturers have fixed this problem. However, in the Google Play store, I found an app called "Wifi Roaming Fix". This app will automatically connect to the access point device with the stronger signal in the same network. It is a 1 second drop, but at least it reconnects automatically to the network. It is fine for me. I do plan to contact Samsung to find out if there is, or will be, a fix for this problem. I also recommend the Android app called "WiFi Analyzer". It will show you both access points (the main router and repeater) with their mac addresses, signal strength, and device manufacturer. This is helpful in troubleshooting signal strength where you need it.

Please note that I have not had signal dropping issues with my family's Windows PCs or iPod Touch devices when moving between the 2 access point signals.

SUMMARY
Although I ran into problems with getting this device working well initially, now that it does work, I am very pleased with it, for a device that only cost $22, compared to other devices that are 2 to 4 times the cost. We will see how long it lasts. I was so impressed with what you get for the price, I not only set up one in my church building, I also set up one in my house. It has definitely made a difference for those far away corners and floors.

At this time, I highly recommend this device for the price and small size of the unit, but only give it 4 stars due to the initial hassle of figuring out how to set it up (the instructions are not accurate) and applying a firmware patch on the router, which is not, at this time, publicly available for download on TP-Link's site (told that they were still testing the firmware patch before release).

I have not tried to use this device in the other modes of AP, Router, Client, or Bridge, so I cannot speak to how it works in those modes.

Please feel free to leave comments on this review, especially if this has helped you. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little travel router, August 17, 2012
Lee "Lee" (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little 5 function device, Router, Access Point, wireless client, bridge and Repeater. It does have a few drawbacks, depending on what you plan on doing with it and your knowledge of networking. What this device lacks is a slide switch to go from one mode to the other. It is all done through a browser, and if its is not already set, in a mode to assign you an IP you have to manually set your computers IP to the same networks as the devices. Changing the devices Netmask helps. I've also discovered that in Bridge mode (It picks up a wireless signal and then transmits another signal using a different SSID and password) You can only have one device attached at a time, either wireless or wired. The manual suggests that you can use this mode to allow someone to use you wireless network without revealing your password, they would get the new SSID and password that the TL-WR702n re-broadcasts, that is fine as long as they only want to connect one device.

The other drawback I found is if you already know the name and password of the wireless hotspot you want to connect to, and you are planning on using the TP-Link as a Wireless Client, say for a device other than a computer, well, you can't set it up ahead of time and then just plug everything in once you arrive. You need to input the MAC address of the Hotspot that you plan on connecting to. If you don't have that information handy, you have to get out the laptop and configure the TP-Link once it is in range of a signal (do a site survey). It won't even remember the password until you make a connection. It wants the MAC address whenever you connect to a wireless signal, something I haven't seen in a compact client device before. I can see the advantage if you are staying in a hotel where all of the access points use the same SSID, but that rarely happens. It would be nice to be able to disable that requirement.

Overall, it is a very versatile and certainly compact device, and your experience may be very different depending on how you use it. As an access or router, simply to give you a wireless signal for devices without an Ethernet port, it will do everything you expect, except, perhaps a great wireless range, as the antenna is somewhat limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!!, January 8, 2013
I bought this for my dorm room. I wanted something that wouldn't take up a lot of room, had a subtle sleek look, and was powerful enough to work with Netflix, etc. This router does all of that and was EASY to set up. I plugged the internet cable into the back of it and plugged the power cord into the wall, turned on wireless internet access on my computer and typed in the password that is printed on the bottom of the router and was able to log onto the internet as soon as I clicked on the browser. I was extremely pleased with the ease of this setup! I definitely reccommend this router!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless bridge, September 21, 2012
Bought this device because the wireless signal from my main router is weak at the other
end of my home. Set it up as a bridge, which rebroadcasts my main router's signal using
a different SSID & password. Repeater mode works in a similar fashion except it uses the
same SSID and password as your main router.

Followed the instructions at TP-Link's website (google "how to configure bridge mode on
TL-WR702N") and had it set up in minutes. I even gave myself a high five. If you scroll
to the bottom of that website, instructions to the other modes are linked.

I've backed up my configuration, so when I take it with me on travels and switch modes, I
can quickly restore my settings when I return. I may order a second unit just to keep in
the travel bag.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Router That Can (For a While), December 14, 2012

---

This is a good wireless router for a budget if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty. Setting up a custom SSID and password isn't as simple as it could be, but the instructions that come in the box do a decent job of explaining how to do it. More advanced settings are readily available, but an explanation of their functions are not.

The range isn't all that impressive (barely usable at 20 ft), but if your needs are fairly minimal it should be fine. The unit I have seems to drop its connection every few days, but this is fixed by turning it off and on again. This may be a unique issue with the source of the connection, however.

After several weeks of continual use, I would recommend this product if your needs and/or budget are limited.

Pros:
- Cheap
- Tiny (remarkably so)

Cons:
- Short range
- Potentially troublesome software interface

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 4, 2013 11:38:42 AM PDT
Hello Customer,

We're sorry for any inconvenience that this product may have caused you. The short range of the wireless may come from the fact that there is only one internal antenna and no external antenna. The size of the device also impacts this. If there is too much obstruction around the power-outlet, then a suggestion would be to move the device to an outlet that is more open.

These devices are made for the more traveling and mobile user. So the signal strength should be fine in smaller areas where one would see when traveling.

We really appreciate you taking the time to try and review our Router. We hope that you will be able to check out more of our products in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at howard.he@tp-link.com for any issues.

Best Regards!

TP-LINK Support Team
support@tp-link.com
(866) 225-8139
Edit this comment|Permalink

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Router, July 28, 2012
Very small router, perfect for smartphones in hotels without wifi in room. Smaller than expected, and feather light. Just took it to China and was able to just plug into the hotels Ethernet port to get my iPhone online (at 5 differant hotels). The wifi SSID and password are printed on the bottom, so it's plug and play. Power is micro USB, so easy to find one if forgotten. Range was surprisingly good, if not great, when tested at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an AWESOME LITTLE ROUTER!, February 17, 2013
At first I bought this little guy as a backup, something I could play around with or use for one of my DIY projects but once my Apple Base Station (white 54G saucer) finally died on me, I hooked this little guy up as a backup temporarily, fully expecting to buy a new fancy N or even AC router from one of the big brands. Yet, a few weeks passed and now almost a year after that and this little $36 wonder hasn't quit on me once. I am nothing short of amazed what a workhorse this router is, it keeps a Roku XS, five laptops, two mac desktops my iPod and Nexus 7 streaming and surfing 24/7 365. It's nothing short of amazing. And it fits in the palm of your hand! Whoever said you need a fancy $200+ router to feed your digital thirst hasn't used this router. Even the range it has is impressive. Even at the the far edges of our house using no repeaters or antennas this little guy keeps pushing those packets. This router is a real gem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not functional as a repeater/bridge, January 25, 2014
Two stars because I assume the functions I didn't need (AP, etc.) work as advertised.

However, this is advertised as a multi-function router, with bridge and repeater capabilities, which is what I needed it for (filling wifi dead spots in the house) Actually setting it up as a bridge or repeater takes quite a bit of work, and when set up properly according to instructions and technical support, it still doesn't connect. Technical support team *tried* to be helpful, but we were having a very difficult time understanding one another, so I eventually just gave up and decided to return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Easy to use, and Useful, March 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
* More powerful than it looks. I got this router for our son's college dorm room. I tried it out at home first, and I expected such a small device would be good for a room or two, but I was surprised to find it worked throughout my whole house! In fact, I was so impressed, I got another one to use around the house and for traveling!

* Easy to use. It works out of the box as an access point, which is useful in hotel rooms if you just have wired access and no wi-fi. Just connect the ethernet cable to this box, and plug it to the included USB power supply. I also found it useful in places that have both wifi and hard wired internet -- one hotel I stayed in asked me every day to confirm their rules on every device (we had a couple of laptops, two iPhones, and an iPad). Using the TPLink allowed us to confirm it only once -- their system saw all devices coming from the TP Link as one device.

* Easy to configure. It has an intuitive web interface if you want to configure it as a router, a client, a bridge, or repeater. It's also easy to get back to the original configuration -- just use a pin to press the reset button! Nice if you've set it up for one place and just want to get it back to "normal" for next time.

* Easy to carry. I like to travel light -- but I don't have to think twice about putting this in my bag because it is so light. Being USB Powered is great too because the adaptor is small & light and the USB power adaptor could be used for other things when you're not using the TP-Link itself.

Take-away: Powerful, Easy to use, and Useful

** UPDATE (5/27/2013) ** My son is home for the summer and he said he had no problems with it. It just worked.